What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (10 Viewers)

Lol.  We’ll see. Tell me the crime he’s accused of exactly?   The Democrats don’t even know this one.  And I believe they have to have a vote too. 
They do know because Nancy Pelosi stated it today: abuse of power. He urged the head of state of another country to provide Trump  information that might help him win an election. 

First Russia. Trump colluded with them.  When it turned out it was the Democrats who hired a foreign spy to get dirt.  

Now ukraine. To quote anti American Omar “some people did some things.”  Yet in reality This is about Sleepy Joe AKA Ukraine Joe who got his son a job while he had direct over-site of aide and then had the prosecutor fired and  bragged about it.  Oh FYI he son had zero experience with the region, energy, the language, nothing yet he got a job that payed 100’s of thousands of dollars. Thank goodness Ukraine Joe was never going to be your nominee cuz he didn’t stand a chance. 

They do know because Nancy Pelosi stated it today: abuse of power. He urged the head of state of another country to provide Trump  information that might help him win an election. 
She knows this why?  She haven’t even read the transcript.  See my post above. The one where you said there were no facts.  That post. 

All news reports are saying trump asked him to reopen investigation. That IS NOT The same as what you just said. I couldn’t understand Pelosis news conference either.  Her dentures kept on slipping. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one totally trust that the White House will release accurate transcripts without any information being omitted. 
They explained how these transcripts are created on the news tonight and there are many people involved.  If they are altered I'm sure we will find out. 

Something I find interesting is that Barack Obama used the Espionage Act to prosecute whistleblowers, more than any other president in the history of our country.  Trump is absolutely teeing off on whistleblowers like Chelsea Manning, Reality Winner, Daniel Hale.  There's very little if any media outrage about it.  The US is seeking to extradite and torture the publisher of the world's most prolific whistleblowing website, Julian Assange, and no one cares.  

Thomas Drake, John Kiriakou, Jeffrey Sterling- these people suffered massive consequences to their personal and professional lives for blowing the whistle.  The "obey the Constitution" "rule of law" talk was nowhere to be found.  They were generally left to rot by society at large.  The political class doesn't give a #### about these people- they have nothing but contempt for them.  

But this one, of all things, kicks off an impeachment inquiry.  This one demands accountability.  I don't even disagree with the substance of the complaint assuming it's true.  But where was the rule of law for all the other whistleblowers?  Where was the accountability for the crimes they exposed?  Where was the justice?  

It's really sick the way these legal platitudes and pleas to honor 'institutions' get tossed around when it serves established power, but not when it doesn't.  This country turned its back on whistleblowers and the rule of law a long time ago. It's clear this is about political opportunism- not honor or being bound to the responsibilities of the office.  

Something I find interesting is that Barack Obama used the Espionage Act to prosecute whistleblowers, more than any other president in the history of our country.  Trump is absolutely teeing off on whistleblowers like Chelsea Manning, Reality Winner, Daniel Hale.  There's very little if any media outrage about it.  The US is seeking to extradite and torture the publisher of the world's most prolific whistleblowing website, Julian Assange, and no one cares.  

Thomas Drake, John Kiriakou, Jeffrey Sterling- these people suffered massive consequences to their personal and professional lives for blowing the whistle.  The "obey the Constitution" "rule of law" talk was nowhere to be found.  They were generally left to rot by society at large.  The political class doesn't give a #### about these people- they have nothing but contempt for them.  

But this one, of all things, kicks off an impeachment inquiry.  This one demands accountability.  I don't even disagree with the substance of the complaint assuming it's true.  But where was the rule of law for all the other whistleblowers?  Where was the accountability for the crimes they exposed?  Where was the justice?  

It's really sick the way these legal platitudes and pleas to honor 'institutions' get tossed around when it serves established power, but not when it doesn't.  This country turned its back on whistleblowers and the rule of law a long time ago. It's clear this is about political opportunism- not honor or being bound to the responsibilities of the office.  
Jesus Christ.  You can't just label everything a "whistle blower" and claim they are the same.  This report came through an established statutory process designed to protect IC whistleblowers.  It requires the report to be delivered to the DNI.  For the GC of the DNI to determine whether it is urgent and credible.  And then the statutory language provides that the DNI "shall" (not may) transmit the report to Congress.  It has absolutley no similarity to what Julian Assange or Reality Winner or Edward Snowden or whatever goofy comparison you got off Reddit did.  

Don't Noonan said:
$100 side bet that the whistleblower is an anti-Trump clown like a Peter Strzok.  Guarantee this person is biased against Trump.
Get real The whistleblower is someone who works closely with the administration and is one of a handful of individuals present during phone calls. There are no liberal Democrats working that closely in theWhite House with the President. Rest assured a list of who the whistleblower might be is being compiled by administration officials and that is a relatively short list.

Apparently Pelosi made the point to her caucus yesterday that Trump asked the Ukraine to manufacture evidence against Biden- that’s the exact word she used- manufacture. 

If the Democrats have evidence of this, either through a phone transcript or some other form of documentation, then Republicans will have a difficult time defending this to the public, quid pro quo or not. 

Apparently Pelosi made the point to her caucus yesterday that Trump asked the Ukraine to manufacture evidence against Biden- that’s the exact word she used- manufacture. 

If the Democrats have evidence of this, either through a phone transcript or some other form of documentation, then Republicans will have a difficult time defending this to the public, quid pro quo or not. 
My guess is that was a little hyperbole - stemming from the fact that Ukraine has not found any reason to investigate Biden in the past, and thus would have to "manufacture" evidence to investigate now.

The mere act of Ukraine re-opening an investigation would be enough for Trump.  The evidence of an investigation is all he needs to throw red meat to his base.

"Sleepy Joe Bidens son is under investigation!"

Mr Anonymous said:
My laptop was closed, and the lights out for the night, but this nagging question wouldn't go away...

Why on earth would Dems play the impeachment card on THIS? Given all the supposed indiscretions of this President, they decide to play the card on THIS, an as yet unproven accusation that Trump did a certain something, the same something that Joe Biden openly brags about doing while he was VP?

Not only is the evidence more and more fleeting by the minute, but even if it was somehow proven true, their own leading candidate brazenly laughs about doing the same thing with an added dose of nepotism thrown in.

Is this real life?
In what way is evidence more and more fleeting by the minute?

Max Power said:
A and B are both the same.  Motive may be the only difference, but the actions were the same. Also we haven't seen the transcripts, how do we know what his exact demands were?
In now way are those the same especially in terms of legality and ethically in regards to abuse of power.

The Democrats need to keep this narrowly focused to national security. Which means forget about Mueller stuff, emolument stuff, all other scandals- make this about Ukraine only. 

Keep it on message: the President has sacrificed national security to his own interests. Therefore he is not fit to be President. 

In the end, I think this was simply Trump - and his cohorts - being greedy.

If you think about it - they did not need Ukraine to open an investigation here.  There were enough verifiable acts to create a misinformation campaign that would could have been amplified by their bot army.

1.  Hunter Biden taking a role on the Board of a Ukranian gas company while Joe was Vice-President.  For the under-informed - that alone creates an appearance of impropriety.

2.  The gas company is owned by an - OLIGARCH!!!11!1juan!!1 - it must be evil

3.  Obama assigns the task of negotiating with Ukraine to Joe Biden - now you are throwing red meat to the masses.

4.  Joe is on tape re-telling the story of demanding that Ukraine fire the prosecutor in charge of corruption cases - in exchange for US aid.

That is enough for the average voter to immediately assume Biden is using US Foreign Policy to protect his son.  You don't have to even connect all the dots to get the people there.  That would go in twittersphere and the book of faces so often that everyone would assume its true.  And that puts Biden in the position of having to defend himself on non-existent charges - which further feeds the narrative that it must be true.

lakerstan said:
I despise Trump with every fiber of my being, but with no transcripts and not having seen the complaint, unless the dems have more evidence, this seems pre-mature.  If I’m a TV District Attorney, I’d be like “This isn’t good enough - we need more”.

I actually thought they had a better case with obstruction on the Russia investigation.  Mueller set it up for them on a tee, and the dems kept swinging and missing.
TV District Attorney? How about REAL District Attorney? The police chief says to you "We have a guy who was bragging in a bar about committing a murder last week and who says he still has the gun, the victim's ID and bloody clothes in his apartment.  We haven't seen any of that, and he sure isn't about to give it to us if we ask.  Do we have enough to open an investigation and get a search warrant?"

I'm fine with them looking into it.  I'm not sure how far it goes.  If he did something he shouldn't have, get him out of there.  We will find out with the transcript tomorrow. 
The transcript and call is apparently just one piece of the complaint.  That has been said multiple times now.

Nothing burger.  

Here are the facts:

some   Anonymous  Source reports a conversation he didn’t hear or see. 

Democrats say they are going to impeach without even reading transcript. 

Trump immediately says he will release conversation. 

Trump would not do this so easily if he thought it was something. He’s again playing chess to the Democrats checkers. 

Trumps poll numbers keep going up. Dems have lost their collective minds over this guy. 
Those aren't facts...specifically that the complaint is just the phone call, that the dems are impeaching (its an inquiry), Trump will release his transcript of one call (he has doctored them before),  he isn't playing chess...he doesn't get how the pieces move, and his poll numbers have remained pretty steadily bad (save me the rasmussen garbage).

The Democrats need to keep this narrowly focused to national security. Which means forget about Mueller stuff, emolument stuff, all other scandals- make this about Ukraine only. 

Keep it on message: the President has sacrificed national security to his own interests. Therefore he is not fit to be President. 
No the obstruction needs to come out as well as more documentation.  As some said after the mueller report as to what an impeachment investigation would do. It would compel more production of documents and interviews.

No the obstruction needs to come out as well as more documentation.  As some said after the mueller report as to what an impeachment investigation would do. It would compel more production of documents and interviews.
This was my initial thought but I’ve reconsidered. You’re not going to win over public opinion if they are flooded with too many issues. Keep the focus simple. National security .Easy for the public to understand. 

Every R dude in the Senate :holdmybeer:

Reading comprehension down?  I believe it to be fact, Tim doesn’t so we’ll see who’s correct.  HTH
no...reading comprehension is just fine.  What I was reading is the problem.  That's why I asked the question.  If you believe something, it's not a fact, it's a belief.  Beliefs are a held position beyond what the facts require.

So, genuine question....what is the chain of custody on this transcript?
Interesting background on calls and transcripts here. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/24/us/politics/trump-calls-world-leaders.html
Paywalled for me :kicksrock:

I think the documented chain of custody on something like this is crucial to its validity and whether we put stock in it one way or the other.  I suppose there is the slightest of comforts knowing there is a "whistleblower" out there, but it's not completely reassuring when determining the validity of what's presented to us if we don't understand the chain of custody here.

Giuliani says the State Department asked him to go to Ukraine and investigate Joe Biden. So Rudy needs to be one of the first witnesses IMO.. and who in the State Department asked him? (And that can be the next witness.) And why was the ambassador suddenly fired? 
His clients in Ukraine & Russia are also on the table.

Paywalled for me :kicksrock:

I think the documented chain of custody on something like this is crucial to its validity and whether we put stock in it one way or the other.  I suppose there is the slightest of comforts knowing there is a "whistleblower" out there, but it's not completely reassuring when determining the validity of what's presented to us if we don't understand the chain of custody here.
It’s an important question and the article does a good job laying out the way the Trump admin has changed the typical process. I’ll try to summarize a little later or just post the article text. 

Not meant to troll. Sadly it was the first thing to come to my mind, but I’m actually trying to make a real point here. Inability to handle criticism often results in labeling oneself the victim. 
You're posting about Jon at 5 in the morning.  I don't think you should be criticizing Jon, or anyone else.  Go ahead if you want my point was made as well.  That's why we all  :lmao:  at you when you start lecturing people about good discussion in other threads from time to time.  

You're posting about Jon at 5 in the morning.  I don't think you should be criticizing Jon, or anyone else.  Go ahead if you want my point was made as well.  That's why we all  :lmao:  at you when you start lecturing people about good discussion in other threads from time to time.  
I have to be up this early, unfortunately. 

You’re one of the main people I “lecture” about good discussion, and this is an example of why it’s well deserved. As usual, your only contribution to this thread was an attempt to rip me personally for making a perfectly justifiable comparison. You haven’t offered a single thought on the issue at hand; you never do. You only wait until you see the opportunity to attack other posters. Have at it I guess. 

Giuliani says the State Department asked him to go to Ukraine and investigate Joe Biden. So Rudy needs to be one of the first witnesses IMO.. and who in the State Department asked him? (And that can be the next witness.) And why was the ambassador suddenly fired? 
He also just said the WH read him the transcript.  Just LOL.  

Users who are viewing this thread