Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
snitwitch

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread***

1 hour ago, Gopher State said:

Or the Dems make this look like a witch hunt with  no action, and the Dems pay the price in 2020.  Interesting that two Dems in the House are against impeachment.

If Hillary was running, would you feel differently?

34 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

OK I give, what's "absolute immunity"?

A new flu vaccine flavored vodka. 

• Like 7
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

I doubt the first call says anything of all. The second call seems to indicate that Trump is bringing up Biden and Crowdstrike for the first time, at least directly. Plus Trump must have mentioned this first call at least a dozen times today without being asked; obviously he wants to release it. So I’m guessing it’s nothing. 

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I doubt the first call says anything of all. The second call seems to indicate that Trump is bringing up Biden and Crowdstrike for the first time, at least directly. Plus Trump must have mentioned this first call at least a dozen times today without being asked; obviously he wants to release it. So I’m guessing it’s nothing. 

The calls with Erdogan and Putin are the ones I want to see.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, msommer said:

I believe it's the argument brought forward in the mazar/tax returns case that the president cannot be investigated

And when he waves his jeweled scepter over any subject he deems worthy, they too shall not be beholden to laws, as they only apply to the peasants.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Can’t forget MBS

A lawyer for the Ukraine whistleblower has sent the White House a cease and desist letter to stop Trump's attacks.

"Your client, the President of the U.S., is engaging in rhetoric and activity that places my client and their family in physical danger."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/07/politics/ukraine-whistleblower-trump-cease-and-desist/index.html

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

And Salman. Don’t forget him. 

1 hour ago, Gopher State said:

Interesting that two Dems in the House are against impeachment.

I find it far more iinteresting that no republican voted for an inquiry.

Especillay in contract to the Clinton impeachment where you saw democrat represtatives voting for, and republicans voting against. And in the senate trial you saw 5 republicans vote against on one charge and 10 vote against on the other. 

13 minutes ago, squistion said:

Trump did not correct the reporter about May Day, so what he was actually referring to is open to interpretation and Scuitto's take was also viewed by other news outlets as attending a military parade.

https://twitter.com/search?q=trump may day&src=tyah

If you google "Russian May Day Parade" you will obviously see this story, but the reference that shows up right away as the first wikipedia search plain sight on the top is the Victory Day Parade.

"Trump did not correct the reporter" is a silly discussion point. 

The parade on May 1st pails in comparison to the one on May 9th. The May 1st parades are mostly people carrying banners and Putin is hardly out there making a big deal about it. The May 9th parade is clearly the parade Trump is speaking about. 

The whole verbatim tweet that you lifted from a reporter (and didn't credit the reporter) is silly gotcha journalism. It was some reporter thinking he was really smart and saying hey may day is a celebration of workers! Hahah trump doesn't know that!!! When in reality it just shows that the reporter didn't properly research that there is a military parade 8 days later that is state sponsored and celebrates the Nazi surrender. And they have tanks and guns and stuff and that they call May Day "Spring and Labour day". 

This article from the hill says it far better than the gotcha journalist you plagiarized did. 

“It’s a very big deal, celebrating the end of the war,” Trump told reporters. “I appreciate the invitation, it’s right in the middle of the political season.”

Putin in June invited Trump to attend next year's May 9 Victory Day events. Putin said he asked Trump attend the celebration during a meeting on the sidelines of the Group of 20 (G-20) meeting in Osaka.

Russia’s annual Victory Day parade commemorates the May 1945 Allied victory over Nazi Germany. Moscow often uses the parade to show off its military might.

Also of note...

Celebrations of May 1 lost their political meaning in Russia after 1991. Some political parties and labor unions may have demonstrations on this day, but most Russians use Spring and Labor Day for gardening or spending time with their families.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

I didn’t say all. The Republicans in Schiff’s committee. But I’m fairly confident they informed their leadership aren’t you? 

Come on are you really expecting some surprise here? 

No doubt staff has been there the entire time.  

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

The Republicans in the House do. 

Don't fall down this hole again.  The Republicans who took the time to go to their committee meetings do.  We don't need 5 more pages of semantic nonsense....TIA

ETA:  Damn it...too late....should have read further....thanks for not going further down that path :thumbup: 

Edited by The Commish

I think the news from last night that the President of Ukraine was prepared to go on CNN and announce the Biden investigation and didn’t after the money arrived right after the whistleblower’s complaint emerged deserves more attention. How can anyone at this point continue to deny what was going on here? Hopefully Schiff finds a way to work this news into the public hearings. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Commish said:

Don't fall down this hole again.  The Republicans who took the time to go to their committee meetings do.  We don't need 5 more pages of semantic nonsense....TIA

Agreed. But the result of our back and forth was that @John Blutarsky wrote that he would listen to the public hearings and (presumably) keep an open mind. That’s all I would hope Trump supporters, or anyone else for that matter, would do. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Or the Dems make this look like a witch hunt with  no action, and the Dems pay the price in 2020.  Interesting that two Dems in the House are against impeachment.

Curious what you mean here....knowing what we know about the individuals and their specific situations with respect to their beliefs and their constituents, what is "interesting" about their votes against the inquiry?  I'm assuming you mean inquiry here since no one has voted against impeachment....public testimony hasn't even started yet.

So I haven’t read Free Republic for a while. In the past I’ve been slightly mocked here for my fascination with that site, and that mockery is justified; I had an unhealthy interest reading that trash. But it’s been about a month so I figured what the heck, I’ll take a look...

Worse than ever before. The consensus seems to be that the news media is working with Democrats to illegally remove the President- nothing new there,  but their remedy is new. They want Trump to shut down CNN, the New York Times, the Washington Post, MSNBC et al, and throw their journalists and editors into prison for treason. And they further want Trump to send the military into Congress and arrest Pelosi and Schiff and declare martial law. They don’t seem to be joking around here. 

They are also, on a continual basis, posting the name of the Whistleblower (at least I assume it’s his name), and hoping that something bad happens to him. 

Yeah I think I’ll wait another month before checking it out again...

33 minutes ago, The Commish said:
2 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Curious what you mean here....knowing what we know about the individuals and their specific situations with respect to their beliefs and their constituents, what is "interesting" about their votes against the inquiry?

The question answers itself. It's always interesting when people take baffling positions.

51 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

If you google "Russian May Day Parade" you will obviously see this story, but the reference that shows up right away as the first wikipedia search plain sight on the top is the Victory Day Parade.

"Trump did not correct the reporter" is a silly discussion point. 

The parade on May 1st pails in comparison to the one on May 9th. The May 1st parades are mostly people carrying banners and Putin is hardly out there making a big deal about it. The May 9th parade is clearly the parade Trump is speaking about.

The whole verbatim tweet that you lifted from a reporter (and didn't credit the reporter) is silly gotcha journalism. It was some reporter thinking he was really smart and saying hey may day is a celebration of workers! Hahah trump doesn't know that!!! When in reality it just shows that the reporter didn't properly research that there is a military parade 8 days later that is state sponsored and celebrates the Nazi surrender. And they have tanks and guns and stuff and that they call May Day "Spring and Labour day". 

This article from the hill says it far better than the gotcha journalist you plagiarized did. 

Also of note...

So in the end we are still talking about Trump potentially attending a large Russian military parade at the invite of his BFF Vlad, but it's not the earlier parade that "pails" in comparison, and it's not technically the May Day Parade... so there's that.

Yeah, wow, I feel so much better about it now that that's cleared up.  :thumbup:

Edited by parrot
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Imagine being Rep. Rick Crawford and having to give up your seat on the Intelligence Committee for that dude

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

Jim Jordan assigned to Intel Committee ahead of Trump impeachment hearings

>>Jordan, R-Ohio, replaces Rep. Rick Crawford, R-Ark., who temporarily resigned from his post on the panel Friday.<<

This is so strange. Nunes has this committee and Crawford didn’t seem to merit removal.

It might turn out to be a mistake. 

Jordan is an aggressive supporter of Trump; a former Tea Party guy, I’m pretty sure a Birther; Trump loves him, the base loves him. But I think the general public, who has never really heard this guy, may find him slightly ridiculous, and especially here as he attempts to defend the indefensible. 

18 minutes ago, parrot said:

So in the end we are still talking about Trump potentially attending a large Russian military parade at the invite of his BFF Vlad, but it's not the earlier parade that "pails" in comparison, and it's not technically the May Day Parade... so there's that.

Yeah, wow, I feel so much better about it now that that's cleared up.  :thumbup:

Wouldnt be the first time a US president attended a victory day parade in russia. 

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Jordan is an aggressive supporter of Trump; a former Tea Party guy, I’m pretty sure a Birther; Trump loves him, the base loves him. But I think the general public, who has never really heard this guy, may find him slightly ridiculous, and especially here as he attempts to defend the indefensible. 

:shrug:

I think he is a pretty effective cross-examiner - at least the few times I have heard him.  And he is not out to persuade the masses - only to keep the base.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

>>Jordan, R-Ohio, replaces Rep. Rick Crawford, R-Ark., who temporarily resigned from his post on the panel Friday.<<

This is so strange. Nunes has this committee and Crawford didn’t seem to merit removal.

He had to mooove on. 

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

He is ridiculous and any questions he asks are sure to have zero to do with the witness or topic at hand.  He is likely there to smear witnesses and democrats.  (If history is any indication of his future behavior).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

The May 9th parade is clearly the parade Trump is speaking about. 

An American president atop Lenin’s tomb watching a propaganda display. Great. 

For any who don’t know the Soviet/Russian parades have regularly been focused on a resentment that they claim they won’ the war, traditionally it has a very anti-west vibe, with glorification of Stalin and martialism. Allies’ roles are usually ignored. In the past it’s hosted a procession of leaders and representatives from Soviet & Russian client or satellite states. It’s a pretty unAmerican event.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Any response to any of his questions about the impropriety of any of Trump's actions should begin, "Well, it's not as bad as turning a blind eye to the actions of a pervert in a shower room, but...."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Breaking via NYT: John Bolton has knowledge of "many relevant meetings and conversations" connected to the Ukraine pressure campaign that House impeachment investigators do not yet know about, his lawyer told lawmakers.

ATLANTA — John R. Bolton, President Trump’s former national security adviser, has knowledge of “many relevant meetings and conversations” connected to the Ukraine pressure campaign that House impeachment investigators do not yet know about, his lawyer told lawmakers on Friday.

The lawyer, Charles J. Cooper, made that tantalizing point in a letter to the chief House lawyer in response to House committee chairmen who have sought Mr. Bolton’s testimony in their impeachment proceedings but expressed unwillingness to go to court to get an order compelling it.

Mr. Cooper did not elaborate on what meetings and conversations he was referring to, leaving it to House Democrats to guess at what he might know.

Mr. Bolton did not show up for a deposition scheduled on Thursday because, his lawyer said, he wants a judge to determine whether he or his former deputy, Charles M. Kupperman, should testify in defiance of the White House. In effect, Mr. Bolton and Mr. Kupperman are asking for a court ruling on competing demands by the executive branch, which does not want them to testify, and the legislative branch, which does.

The House chairmen have withdrawn a subpoena for Mr. Kupperman and indicated they would not seek one for Mr. Bolton because they said they did not want to get dragged into lengthy court proceedings. Instead, Democrats have suggested that they may cite the refusal to testify by Mr. Bolton and Mr. Kupperman as evidence of obstruction of Congress by the president, which could form its own article of impeachment.

In representing Mr. Bolton and Mr. Kupperman, Mr. Cooper denied that they were trying to delay proceedings and insisted that their legal position was not coordinated with the White House. Mr. Cooper argued that if the House was serious about an inquiry, then Mr. Bolton would be a logical person to question.

Mr. Bolton “was personally involved in many of the events, meetings, and conversations about which you have already received testimony, as well as many relevant meetings and conversations that have not yet been discussed in the testimonies thus far,” Mr. Cooper wrote in the letter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/08/us/politics/john-bolton-ukraine.html

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Breaking via NYT: John Bolton has knowledge of "many relevant meetings and conversations" connected to the Ukraine pressure campaign that House impeachment investigators do not yet know about, his lawyer told lawmakers.

Well duh.

So is he going to tell them????

Seems more like a delay tactic - to me.  But, Bolton's lawyer denies it.

I could see this kind of backfiring on either Bolton or Dems - depending on what Bolton knows...

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Reminds me of when my sister found out that one of her friends had a crush on me, but could not tell me who because it was a secret.*

*No basis in reality. No one ever had a crush on me.

Edited by Don Quixote

3 minutes ago, TheMagus said:

Well duh.

So is he going to tell them????

Depends what the courts say 

I am not a lawyerguy at all, but does anyone have a guess as to why Bolton's lawyer wants to push them into litigating the subpoenas? I don't understand.

22 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Wouldnt be the first time a US president attended a victory day parade in russia. 

How about since Russia actively interfered in our elections on Trump's behalf and the whole world became aware of it?  Not a great look, even for Donny.   

Honestly hearing this I can only think that either Trump is somehow even dumber than I thought he was, or the pee tape is real.  Probably both.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Depends what the courts say 

They can’t wait. Judge to hear testimony December 6, then make ruling what, weeks later? Even December 6 is too long. 

If Bolton wants to be the big star of this show he needs to agree to testify NOW. Otherwise nobody is going to care about what he has to say. 

38 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

And he is not out to persuade the masses - only to keep the base.

No it’s about persuading the masses. 

The GOP needs to persuade the general public that the question of wrongdoing here is at the very least open ended, that its possible Trump did nothing wrong. If they can’t do that they’re in serious trouble in 2020 IMHO. An aggressive Jordan yelling about process and asking silly conspiracy questions about Biden will only make things worse for Trump. 

For example Jordan has already been attacking Vindman, an decorated army guy. One of the things that brought down Joseph McCarthy was the fact that he went after the US Army. It was one thing for Joe to go after the Hollywood left and the State Department and imply they were all communists; a lot of America can accept that argument and even want to believe it. But when you attack our military, heaven help you. 

26 minutes ago, TheMagus said:

I am not a lawyerguy at all, but does anyone have a guess as to why Bolton's lawyer wants to push them into litigating the subpoenas? I don't understand.

Provide legal cover for testifying against orders from the White House?

27 minutes ago, TheMagus said:

There was an article yesterday that he was concerned about whether people will keep contributing to his Super PAC if he testified.  So, if he has a court order, he can hide behind the court order and say he was just following the court instead of ignoring the WH.

11 minutes ago, timschochet said:

They can’t wait. Judge to hear testimony December 6, then make ruling what, weeks later? Even December 6 is too long. 

If Bolton wants to be the big star of this show he needs to agree to testify NOW. Otherwise nobody is going to care about what he has to say. 

This isn't a BOGO sale at Payless.

1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:
1 hour ago, The Commish said:
4 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Curious what you mean here....knowing what we know about the individuals and their specific situations with respect to their beliefs and their constituents, what is "interesting" about their votes against the inquiry?

The question answers itself. It's always interesting when people take baffling positions.

Does it?  I've learned that the only safe assumption on my part is that I might be missing something.  I have countless encounters where people say one thing only to turn around and say that's not what they meant.  So I figure it's always best to ask.  Though I will say, most of the time I don't get a response to my question, so at that point I just assume its :hophead: and move on anyway.

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

It's strange to me only in the sense that the GOP needs the most reputable on this particular inquiry and they seem to be going the opposite direction.  Wait until people who have never heard of him start googling him and see the mess he is wrapped up in at OSU.

It's painfully obvious WHY they moved him....they need/want an attack dog...it's purely for the base which is baffling.  The base is there....they don't need to worry about the base....they aren't going anywhere.

Bolton seems like the type of guy would love to testify to the whole world in dramatic fashion that he was right and the guy who fired him was wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

Bolton seems like the type of guy would love to testify to the whole world in dramatic fashion that he was right and the guy who fired him was wrong.

That’s why he needs the court order. If he was going to hem and haw and assert privilege he wouldn’t.