What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Moments after President Trump ended his phone call with Ukraine’s president on July 25, an unsettled national security aide rushed to the office of White House lawyer John Eisenberg.

Army Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, the top Ukraine adviser at the White House, had been listening to the call and was disturbed by the pressure Trump had applied to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate his political rivals, according to people familiar with Vindman’s testimony to lawmakers this week.

Vindman told Eisenberg, the White House’s legal adviser on national security issues, that what the president did was wrong, said the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

Scribbling notes on a yellow legal pad, Eisenberg proposed a step that other officials have said is at odds with long-standing White House protocol: moving a transcript of the call to a highly classified server and restricting access to it, according to two people familiar with Vindman’s account.

per wapo - https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-lawyer-moved-transcript-of-trump-call-to-classified-server-after-ukraine-adviser-raised-alarms/2019/10/30/ba0fbdb6-fb4e-11e9-8190-6be4deb56e01_story.html
Definitely interested in the bolded. Who are the "other officials" and how rare of a thing is it to do. Thanks!

Meet the “star witnesses” Adam Schiff called today:

- Neither have any firsthand knowledge

- Neither spoke to @realDonaldTrump 
The big development today: new evidence tying Trump to Ukraine plot. He spoke by phone with Sondland on 7/26 seeking status report on "investigations." Shockingly, Sondland calls POTUS by cell from Kyiv restaurant. So Russia probably intercepted the call.
-Wapo

Where is the timeline for when the whistleblower (which is generous - he/she doesn't qualify as one) went to Schiff?  Timeline for Schiff's office crafting that legalese complaint?

Are we going to see Schiff as a witness on this part of it?
You know the whistleblower didn't go to Schiff, right? He went to the House Intelligence Committee, which is apparently pretty common for potential whistleblowers and the committee staff field a couple of these a week. What leads you to believe that Schiff wrote (crafted) the complaint and that the whistleblower isn't real?

I know very little of the details you guys are talking about. But from a pure "game play" strategy angle, I think absolutely the play for Republicans is the "witch hunt" angle. 

I was in New Orleans this weekend and the Republican candidate for something (Governor maybe?) was running TV ads accusing the opponent of being in favor of the "Washington Impeachment Squad". And right or wrong, I'd say that strategy is pretty effective for them. 
I’d just point out that that strategy didn’t go over so well in Kentucky.  In general, I think tying local/state races to what’s going on in Washington is a losing strategy. 

Trump has already been asked about this at his press conference. He said “I don’t know anything about that. I don’t remember having that conversation, but all you need to know about Sondland is that I told him no quid pro quo.” 
Walk into a bank and yell THIS IS NOT A ROBERRY! GIVE ME ALL OF THE MONEY! Then if you get caught you have a defense that you said NOT a robbery. Don't forget to demand a thorough investigation of the police department that arrests you. Also the name and address of the person that identified you. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this. Kent's and Taylor's testimony, if it were new information, would be jaw-dropping. But it's mostly not new information. It's stuff that has already trickled out and has already been reported on and spun, and is therefore already baked in to people's thoughts. I predict that these hearings won't change Trump's approval ratings.
What are your thoughts on the potential impact, if any, of the dems hiring an actual trial lawyer to ask the questions and help present the facts in a more cogent way? 

I ask, b/c I’m always amazed at how poor the questioning is in these things. But I don’t know if I’m just jaded b/c I am a trial lawyer and The average citizen doesn’t see it the same way.

What are your thoughts on the potential impact, if any, of the dems hiring an actual trial lawyer to ask the questions and help present the facts in a more cogent way? 

I ask, b/c I’m always amazed at how poor the questioning is in these things. But I don’t know if I’m just jaded b/c I am a trial lawyer and The average citizen doesn’t see it the same way.
There was a clear difference between the attorneys at the beginning and the politicians later. 

Okay Mr. Hutz. :rolleyes:

I don't think it will have a measurable impact, but I thought it was great. They should have skipped the five-minute periods by the members altogether and just used the attorneys. That was the good part.

Link

Following the hearing, CNN Chief Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin suggested that the vocal observation from Trump's defenders was "legitimate."

"The one criticism of these two witnesses, which I think is very much legitimate -- it's not really a criticism, it's a factual statement, is that neither of them had direct contact with the president," Toobin said.

"Ever," CNN anchor Jake Tapper stressed.

"Ever," Toobin responded. "And, that's a problem if you're going to impeach the president."

Link

Following the hearing, CNN Chief Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin suggested that the vocal observation from Trump's defenders was "legitimate."

"The one criticism of these two witnesses, which I think is very much legitimate -- it's not really a criticism, it's a factual statement, is that neither of them had direct contact with the president," Toobin said.

"Ever," Toobin responded. "And, that's a problem if you're going to impeach the president."
Just a point here...these are not the only two witnesses.  This is a case being built up and showing the layers and time lines of what went on...and showing that it quite clearly wasn't just about one phone call.

Just a point here...these are not the only two witnesses.  This is a case being built up and showing the layers and time lines of what went on...and showing that it quite clearly wasn't just about one phone call.
If it was only these two witnesses,  I would have a problem.  But you are right, many more witnesses to go.

Or Trump could come and testify and clear everything up.

If it was only these two witnesses,  I would have a problem.  But you are right, many more witnesses to go.

Or Trump could come and testify and clear everything up.
True...just seems odd some of the quotes Ive seen from the right on this...almost spiking the football this evening as if...thats it?

Also, yeah, many who were there refuse to testify or Trump won't let them.

Link

Not sure what the significance of this is in the big picture.  If it were the ONLY testimony they had, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have even started the impeachment inquiry in the first place.  This is one piece of the puzzle.  I suspect they are going to go down the "the intention was so clear people hearing 3rd, 4th hand understood it as well as those those on the call and /or close to the President" path.  I guess time will tell.

True...just seems odd some of the quotes Ive seen from the right on this...almost spiking the football this evening as if...thats it?

Also, yeah, many who were there refuse to testify or Trump won't let them.
I was reading the tweeter feeds of some of the GOP house members and there was a general theme of the replys. If the call was so perfect,  why is Trump refusing to let so many people to testify. 

Link

If only there were some way to hear from the people who had direct contact with the President.

I keep seeing people mention that nothing new came out today. Maybe not for those of us who have been following the story closely over the last couple months. But this inquiry is for the general public who has largely not been paying that close of attention but will probably listen to some of the testimony given over the next few days. I just don’t see how somebody who’s trying to listen impartially could come to the conclusion that this was not an impeachable offense.  

The staff member of Taylor* who overheard Trump on a phone call with Sondland* that now a closed door testimony this Friday, that’s only new to us and not those running the hearings correct?  There’s no way that was just learned out in the open, right?

The staff member of Taylor* who overheard Trump on a phone call with Sondland* that now a closed door testimony this Friday, that’s only new to us and not those running the hearings correct?  There’s no way that was just learned out in the open, right?
It wasn't in his prior testimony. I think Taylor found out about it since his deposition, and today it was new to everybody.

I don't think it will have a measurable impact, but I thought it was great. They should have skipped the five-minute periods by the members altogether and just used the attorneys. That was the good part.
The more I think on it my post was just a bad one. I haven’t watched the first half yet. 

But, I suppose judging on general sentiment here, the questioning was good but not overly impactful. 

I keep seeing people mention that nothing new came out today. Maybe not for those of us who have been following the story closely over the last couple months. But this inquiry is for the general public who has largely not been paying that close of attention but will probably listen to some of the testimony given over the next few days. I just don’t see how somebody who’s trying to listen impartially could come to the conclusion that this was not an impeachable offense.  
I really haven't been following it too closely but watched some of Ambassador Taylor live and then NBC News and PBS this evening.

My take is that it's no different than the Mueller investigation. Common sense will tell you he's guilty of an offense. But without a smoking gun or stronger evidence (overheard conversation doesn't exactly cut it) this is going nowhere with the GOP Congressional members and won't move the needle either way on what the public thinks about Trump. People already have formed their opinions.

I really haven't been following it too closely but watched some of Ambassador Taylor live and then NBC News and PBS this evening.

My take is that it's no different than the Mueller investigation. Common sense will tell you he's guilty of an offense. But without a smoking gun or stronger evidence (overheard conversation doesn't exactly cut it) this is going nowhere with the GOP Congressional members and won't move the needle either way on what the public thinks about Trump. People already have formed their opinions.
What would be a “smoking gun” in your opinion?

It wasn't in his prior testimony. I think Taylor found out about it since his deposition, and today it was new to everybody.
That seems a rather large reveal that could be a bomb for either prosecution or defense depending on how testimony around this new claim goes?  I didn’t get to watch any of the hearing, how was this new information received by those questioning?  I almost always assume prosecution knows the answer to every question they ask, so this tidbit must’ve thrown them off a bit

That seems a rather large reveal that could be a bomb for either prosecution or defense depending on how testimony around this new claim goes?  I didn’t get to watch any of the hearing, how was this new information received by those questioning?  I almost always assume prosecution knows the answer to every question they ask, so this tidbit must’ve thrown them off a bit
It was in the middle of his opening statement. It was then the first thing he was asked about (by Schiff) after his opening statement concluded and he started taking questions.

Imo, today isn't about the smoking gun.  Today is establishing that there's a there there - Ukraine is important,  there is strong suspicion that Trump was up to shenanigans, and the investigation is worth pursuing.

Smoking gun comes later.  Could be Sondland, could be Bolton.  We may not see the smoking gun until Senate trial... It could be Mulvaney or Pompeo being compelled to testify.

That one guy said:
It was part of his opening statement, and that was available ahead of time, right?

Tolstoy said:
What would be a “smoking gun” in your opinion?
Ultimately just something even a GOP Senator couldn't ignore?

More tapes and transcripts of conversations/actions with those directly carrying out Trump's instructions. Taylor hearing it directly together with other high-ranking officials corroborating. With Nixon you couldn't ignore that some of those guys had direct ties to the Oval Office.

IMO the release of aid also muddies the waters quite a bit.

Maurile Tremblay said:
It was in the middle of his opening statement. It was then the first thing he was asked about (by Schiff) after his opening statement concluded and he started taking questions.
I thought he said that once he'd been informed of the overheard conversation he notified both sides of the committee about the new info. I'm sure this was not news to anyone on the committee. 

Godsbrother said:
Had to turn it off.  My heads spinning around and I am convinced that unless they can get Bolton, Rudy, Mulvaney or Trump himself to testify the vote in the house will along party lines, teh senate will too and the president will be around for the 2020 election.   Then it will be up to US citizens to ultimately decide.
For sure.  Notwithstanding the fact that the evidence overwhelmingly suggests the President leveraged his office, and US foreign policy (applicable to a country actively engaged in war), for his personal benefit in domestic elections.  

the only meaningful question  remaining is:  how does this play going forward in terms of his re-electability?   

The evidence is damaging and overwhelming.   But he will survive it in my view, and the only test he cares about will be the 2020 election.  And as ####ed up as that is, I’d give him 50/50 right now, which is mind blowing given what we know, what happened today, and what will play out in the next couple of weeks.  

but my view is that none of this will ultimately matter.  He’ll survive impeachment and the battle lines will be drawn for 2020.  He’ll get there.  And he thinks he can win on the College if he does.   And, honestly, as much as I think he is a malignant tumour on the face the of everything that makes democracy worth fighting for, the electoral college represents a path to reelection for him.  

He will survive this. Because, even if the facts are proven, which they seem to be, half the country doesn’t care.   

Edit: apologies for typos 

Sinn Fein said:
Well this is news to me:

In 2018, the Trump administration authorized sales to Ukraine of a shoulder-fired anti-tank missile called the Javelin, reversing an Obama administration policy of supplying only non-lethal aid.

But there is a big catch. The Trump administration provided the missiles on the condition that they not be used in the war, Ukrainian officials and American diplomats have said, lest they provoke Russia to slip more powerful weaponry to the separatists.

“They are not to be on the front line,” Iryna Herashchenko, a former chief settlement negotiator, said of the missiles. Their precise deployment positions are kept secret.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/world/europe/ukraine-war-impeachment.html
That’s right. The point about the javelins was pushed out to show Trump’s Russian-fighting credentials (no puppet he) but as it turns out the use of the javelins was neutered.

I thought it poignant when one of the witnesses pointed out that Ukraine has lost over 14,000 people in the war, losses which are ongoing to this current day. This is the tragedy that Trump was holding over their head.

I think one of the biggest things that came out today was the discussion of how Ukraine is at war right now, how people are dying right now, and how Trump’s actions here were not some game; the delay probably cost lives. Also how keeping Ukraine independent is a matter of OUR national security. 
The biggest thing I took away from today is that many of our elected officials are not representing us in looking for the truth. Instead, they are looking for excuses. I don't remember who was asking Taylor the question, but the comment as to whether or not the conversation could have been misunderstood. Could it be possible? Sounds like a the line from My Cousin Vinny "two sets of guys met up at the Sac-O-Suds, at the same time, driving identical metallic mint green 1964 Buick Skylark convertibles". It's funny when it's party of a movie. Not so much when it's the fabric of our country unraveling. 

Regardless of which side you're on, you should want to find the truth. If you aren't willing to do that then you should resign immediately. Someone that does will take your place. 

Maurile Tremblay said:
IIRC it was new to us, but not the committee.  He informed both the majority and minority counsels when his staffer came to him subsequent to his testimony.

Regardless of which side you're on, you should want to find the truth. If you aren't willing to do that then you should resign immediately. Someone that does will take your place. 
Look, I get calling the Republicans cowardly and I don’t disagree. But at the same time, it’s easy for the Democrats, because they represent constituents who are good with impeachment. 

The fact is that in all of our history, politicians who are willing to defy their own voters in the name of truth and justice are pretty rare. Margaret Chase Smith comes to mind, a few others. Maybe John McCain. It doesn’t happen very often. 

Look, I get calling the Republicans cowardly and I don’t disagree. But at the same time, it’s easy for the Democrats, because they represent constituents who are good with impeachment. 

The fact is that in all of our history, politicians who are willing to defy their own voters in the name of truth and justice are pretty rare. Margaret Chase Smith comes to mind, a few others. Maybe John McCain. It doesn’t happen very often. 
I believe you and I have had a conversation about this in the past. I have very little faith in our elected officials. You're stance was that we still have good people in DC. This impeachment process is trending down a path that just confirms my beliefs. 

When you use time during a hearing to ask if it's possible that a staff member misunderstood what was said, even in light of having a transcript confirming the transgression, it shows me that it's not about finding the truth. It's about finding an excuse. 

I don't agree with your stance on defying voters. As voters, we elect people to represent us. Once elected they take an oath:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”
— U.S. Constitution, Article VI, clause 3
It says nothing about constituents over Constitution. Actually, it says nothing about obligation to constituents at all. 

Actually I guess Justin Amash is a recent example. Pretty brave guy. 
He is, and it cost him the (R) to go against the trump party.  I've found it interesting that Democrats can disagree, pretty strongly at times, but they all keep the (D).  Those that didn't vote in favor of starting the impeachment aren't (I)'s.  

Watching the evening news shows, I'm struck by the fact that the State Department is stonewalling on turning over notes made by Taylor and others, despite subpoenas.  How is this OK? 

IMO, defying legal subpoenas is almost as big of a deal as Trump's shakedown.  The House letting this go sets a bad precedent.  I don't get why they aren't forcing this issue.  Oversight is Soo important - Congress cannot abdicate that responsibility.

Users who are viewing this thread