What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (4 Viewers)

There's just really no point anymore. Sides have dug in and will stretch anything to fit their needs. Yes, both sides are equally guilty. But if you're going to take play the impeachment card it better not require any stretching.
Who is "stretching"?

We know Trump froze the aid to Ukraine.

We know Trump pointed out how much the US does for Ukraine.

We know that Trump asked Ukraine to look into Joe Biden - not for on-going conduct, but for conduct 5 years ago.

We know that Rudy has told the Ukraine that their help would be very beneficial to "his client."

Everything about this - from Trump's own point of view - says this is a classic case of abuse of power.  This is precisely the conduct that the founding fathers feared. 

We’ve known for a week that the WB complaint details multiple incidents. Literally dozens of people on Twitter pointed out that the transcript would not encompass the entirety of the WB complaint. 
But you knew this would be the deflection. No quid pro quo explicitly in this version of the transcript.  Talking points out...

Pelosi: "The President of the U.S., in breach of his constitutional responsibilities, has asked a foreign government to help him in his political campaign at the expense of our national security as well as undermining the integrity of our elections. That cannot stand."

That is a pretty straightforward argument.

There's just really no point anymore. Sides have dug in and will stretch anything to fit their needs. Yes, both sides are equally guilty. But if you're going to take play the impeachment card it better not require any stretching.
True. You continue to ignore all that has been said to you that its not just this phone call. As do others.  Its not a both sides issue at all.  And its not impeachment proceedings as some keep trying to portray the inquiry.

If there later is indisputable evidence of a quid pro quo, would you support impeachment?  I'm asking because I'm trying to get a handle on where conservatives draw the line.
there is no line.....the gop got trump in there....they got their tax cuts.....got their judges appointed.......if he loses next election.....so what....they will not impeach in senate regardless of what he does

Is there another version?  There is no recording and there were only a handful of people there.
There may be...the point is believing a white house version is complete and factual is naive...and that the inquiry the house is doing is not just based on one phone call.  As has been said many times but ignored by people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pelosi: "The President of the U.S., in breach of his constitutional responsibilities, has asked a foreign government to help him in his political campaign at the expense of our national security as well as undermining the integrity of our elections. That cannot stand."

That is a pretty straightforward argument.
In what world is that straightforward? He did not ask for help on his campaign. Her statement is an extrapolation, not one of fact. C'mon, you're better than that. Find a bulletproof grounds for impeachment and then pounce. Don't waste that bullet on this one. Keep digging. I'll admit it's probably there. But playing this card NOW on THIS sets a horrible precedent.

But you knew this would be the deflection. No quid pro quo explicitly in this version of the transcript.  Talking points out...
Of course. Which is why it’s surprising that the transcript actually contains what can fairly be considered a quid pro quo. Public corruption cases are brought on communications like this all the time. If I had a client under investigation and found this in discovery, I’d be distraught.  And looking to cut a deal. I’d never want that before a jury. 

Is there another version?  There is no recording and there were only a handful of people there.
Yes there is an actual transcript, not this edited memorandum with ellipses that was released.
A couple of points - somebody posted a NYT article on this process:

1.  There is unlikely to be an actual recording of the call

2.  There is unlikely to be a verbatim transcript

The call has a limited audience, and those that are there take handwritten notes - which is what we see.

I also think we might be making too much about the ellipses - I use them (improperly, of course) occasionally just to separate thoughts...It does not necessarily imply I am leaving something out.

In what world is that straightforward? He did not ask for help on his campaign. Her statement is an extrapolation, not one of fact. C'mon, you're better than that. Find a bulletproof grounds for impeachment and then pounce. Don't waste that bullet on this one. Keep digging. I'll admit it's probably there. But playing this card NOW on THIS sets a horrible precedent.
I think you are not being intellectually honest with yourself here.

The only reason to bring up Biden in 2019 is for the impact it will have on Trump in 2020.  The public gets that.  Its easy to make that connection.

Republicans really need to get to the bottom of this by obtaining the text messages between the whistleblower and his girlfriend.  
I'm sure the whistleblower's wife once donated money to a Democratic political candidate. Or maybe he once submitted a 2-star Yelp review of a Trump restaurant?

Apparently the "transcript" omits the portion where Trump tells Zelensky he will release the authorized funds:

"Someday, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day."
Are you foreshadowing the death of Santino Ivanka?

Everybody appears sure the smoking gun is out there somewhere.  Seems like they are barking up the collusion tree again, but maybe this time the apple falls.  We will see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course. Which is why it’s surprising that the transcript actually contains what can fairly be considered a quid pro quo. Public corruption cases are brought on communications like this all the time. If I had a client under investigation and found this in discovery, I’d be distraught.  And looking to cut a deal. I’d never want that before a jury. 
This what Pelosi sees - this is an easy case to connect dots (ellipses if you want) when the public can see the bad action leading to the bad outcome.

Everybody seems sure the smoking gun is out there somewhere.  Seems like they are barking up the collusion tree again, but maybe this time the apple falls.
Collusion?

No...just point blank asking a foreign government to investigate his political rival after he has withheld funds and talking about favors and injecting his personal lawyer into it...and that is just the one call.

The transcript alone is damning to most people because of that.

People who understand that is not the norm and should never be the norm.

Its a clear abuse of power.

We need to talk some more about Bob Barr. If I’m understanding this correctly: 

1. Barr reviewed the IG report, which included this transcript. In the transcript, the President mentions Barr and asks the Ukrainian President to contact Barr. 

2. Barr decides not to send the IG report to Congress. 

This seems like its corrupt. Shouldn’t Barr have recused himself the moment his name was mentioned? If this is true Barr should be removed, possibly charged with obstruction of justice. 

No, we are not seeing the actual handwritten notes, what we are seeing is an edited version of them with the ellipses most likely serving in place of a redaction.
No. The ellipsis are likely indicating pauses from the speaker.  Redactions aren’t done that way. Because you have to designate the statutory basis for the redaction. 

• Thanks
Reactions: Ned
No, we are not seeing the actual handwritten notes, what we are seeing is an edited version of them with the ellipses most likely serving in place of a redaction.
We'll just disagree about that.

if they were specifically trying to hide something - then you don't even include the ellipses.  From a technical perspective ellipses are only used when you are omitting quoted text - and that is clearly not the case here.  Its a summary of what was said, not a direct quote.   

Perhaps the impeachment inquiry should include evidence of the hundreds of times Trump lied about having sexual relations out of wedlock.  That would likely get Republicans to shift in their thinking, right?  Besides, it's far more damning and saucy than all of this national security, ask a foreign government to do dirty work on a political opponent, violate the law stuff.  

Users who are viewing this thread