What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (2 Viewers)

A reminder that today we learned that the whistleblower complaint was about ‘a sequence of events’. This is just part of it.
I think the cat is out of the bag right now - I would guess that the "sequence of events" all revolve around US aid to Ukraine in exchange for increased investigation into Biden's son.  One of the aspects was the phone call by Trump, other aspects probably involve other members of the Trump Administration and their conversations.

Team Trump will (already are) claim that Trump wanted Ukraine to clean up it corruption problem - and if that happened to include Biden's son, well, thats just dumb luck - he should not have been involved, and if he is part of the fall-out, it can't be helped.

The whistleblower - and the Trump-=appointed Inspector General - saw it differently.

Going back and looking at reporting from the past week around the US aid release - this theory of Trump holding the aid as inducement for a political favor seems to have been an open secret - which suggests this report from the whistle-blower has been "known" by key people for at least a few weeks.

I think the cat is out of the bag right now - I would guess that the "sequence of events" all revolve around US aid to Ukraine in exchange for increased investigation into Biden's son.  One of the aspects was the phone call by Trump, other aspects probably involve other members of the Trump Administration and their conversations.

Team Trump will (already are) claim that Trump wanted Ukraine to clean up it corruption problem - and if that happened to include Biden's son, well, thats just dumb luck - he should not have been involved, and if he is part of the fall-out, it can't be helped.

The whistleblower - and the Trump-=appointed Inspector General - saw it differently.

Going back and looking at reporting from the past week around the US aid release - this theory of Trump holding the aid as inducement for a political favor seems to have been an open secret - which suggests this report from the whistle-blower has been "known" by key people for at least a few weeks.
It won't matter

Of course there are tapes (on both sides).  Coats (or whoever in his orbit) doesn’t go this route if there weren’t.

And yes, much the the Steele Dossier that was floating around DC, I’m sure Schiff et al already know what’s in the complaint.  

Vice President Mike Pence was about to finish a routine joint press conference with Polish President Andrzej Duda in Warsaw last week, when he got two astutely specific questions about his meeting the previous day with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy:

“Number one, did you discuss Joe Biden at all during that meeting yesterday with the Ukrainian President? And number two, can you assure Ukraine that the hold-up of [U.S. security assistance] has absolutely nothing to do with efforts, including by Rudy Giuliani, to try to dig up dirt on the Biden family?” Associated Press reporter Jill Colvin asked.

Pence answered the first question directly: “Well, on the first question, the answer is no.” His response to the second question was more interesting. He essentially demurred.

With the drama over assistance to Ukraine unfolding alongside Trump and Giuliani’s months-long drumbeat for an investigation into Biden’s role there, the clear impression is that the United States is extorting a partner country for political gain.

Asked directly about such a scenario in Warsaw, Pence didn’t deny it. In fact, his wording could be seen as an implied confirmation.

After answering a simple “no” to the question of whether he and Zelenskyy discussed Biden, Pence continued, almost as a caveat to the denial and with repeated references back to Trump: “But we … discussed America’s support for Ukraine and the upcoming decision the president will make on the latest tranche of financial support in great detail. The president asked me to meet with President Zelenskyy and to talk about the progress that he’s making on a broad range of areas. And we did that.”

“The United States has stood strong with Ukraine and we will continue to stand strong with Ukraine for its sovereignty and territorial integrity,” Pence said. “But as President Trump had me make clear, we have great concerns about issues of corruption.”

https://www.justsecurity.org/66101/trump-and-giulianis-quest-for-fake-ukraine-dirt-on-biden-an-explainer/

:coffee:

I’d note Bolton was in that meeting with Pence and well, you know what happened to him as well (and he’s not a wallflower either).

Gopher State said:
Dems and Nancy want nothing to do with this.
Then they are cowards who are shirking their duties and should be voted out for being perpetually ineffective parasites.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have the words.

The OLC memo preventing indictment of the president has hardly been discussed here or nationally.

Watergate has been reversed and in fact as a practical matter the DOJ has been converted into a blocking mechanism for effective investigation for the President. 

And what happens is that people and institutions who play by the rules are stiffarmed. So here we go with the IG. It's the Kobiashi Maru. If the rules are crooked what do you do? The President was seeking to suppress the investigation(s) into him and Comey could go quietly and watch his memos go into the memory hole or he could recognize that the rules were created for normal presidents and ethical and empowered parties in Congress. Here the IC IG decided to stay within the rules - even as the new Dir DNI was breaking them.

The kicker? The DNI Coats was essentially an institutionalist - and so he was fired. So was his Dep DNI, Gordon, so she was fired. 

The result? Trump tried to install Ratcliffe, an absolute blank slate of morality and knowledge. He was turned out so in came Maguire.

This discussion over Ukraine apparently happened right around Coats' firing and right after Mueller's testimony. Trump believes his own bs. He thought and thinks he is totally free to act, unencumbered by the law or history or tradition. He believes he is above the law - and as a practical matter - between the DOJ memo and the complete unwillingness of many House Democrats to accept their constitutional duties - he may very well be. Trump is embracing it and so are his followers. This is a constitutional crisis.

I've been thinking about this.  If Trump actually believed Biden was involved in a corruption scandal and it couldn't be shown Trump was withholding funds to Ukraine for  political reelection reasons, doesn't he have an out?  Doesn't intent matter?

Probably my favorite two tweets from this dope...it's the perfect encapsulation of his knowledge and complete lack in self awareness.  On top of all that, he spelled all the words correctly!

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

Another Fake News story out there - It never ends! Virtually anytime I speak on the phone to a foreign leader, I understand that there may be many people listening from various U.S. agencies, not to mention those from the other country itself. No problem!

@realDonaldTrump

....Knowing all of this, is anybody dumb enough to believe that I would say something inappropriate with a foreign leader while on such a potentially “heavily populated” call. I would only do what is right anyway, and only do good for the USA!

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
I've been thinking about this.  If Trump actually believed Biden was involved in a corruption scandal and it couldn't be shown Trump was withholding funds to Ukraine for  political reelection reasons, doesn't he have an out?  Doesn't intent matter?
As @Sinn Fein pointed out, everything depends on the phone call- IF there is a tape of the phone call, and IF Congress and the public get ahold of it. If there is no tape or if we never hear it, Trump will get away with this. 

If they go to court to get the tape, it could take a year or longer. The White House will no doubt fight it all the way to the Supreme Court. Based on the unanimous decision against Nixon, Trump should lose this but you never know. In the meantime none of this is likely to be resolved prior to the election. 

No it isn't.  The constitution has a well-defined procedure for dealing with a president who is guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors.  Congress just refuses to do its job.
Constitutional crises arise from national constitution in any country being effectively neutralized. It’s a constitutional crisis for just that reason and really it’s been going on since Comey’s firing. The ineffectuality of the highest law is the point. You could rend it in two right now and it wouldn’t look any different.

Transparent attempt to create a factory for Russian generated clickbait in run-up to election, which amounts to direct campaign interference with foreign assistance. Nail these ####ers to the wall.
Even if there are tapes to prove this, the GOP base, donors, and elected leaders will accept any explanation used by his pathetic lackeys on TV.  That's what happens in every case with Trumpists. I hope all the details come out and the info can be used to help defeat him in the 2020 election. Maybe the scandal and the blind GOP defense of Trump results in a resounding defeat for the GOP . Its more likely the right will tale up the Ni shagu nazad! tactic and use it to fire up their base. 

Trump not only must go. He must be prosecuted, and we need a thousand new laws to plug the holes this rat has found and gnawed through.
This x 1000

250 years since our forefathers founded this great country, with multiple amendments made along the way, and this lifelong criminal discovered that you could take over (while earning a minority of the votes) and then getting everyone in your party to be scared of your cult members, and hiring a co-conspirator and equally corrupt attorney general and make yourself beyond any rules or laws of the land.  We all know that he's going to get away with this too. And not a single Trump supporter will have a problem with any of it. 

He has made it painfully obvious that our system is terrible, but because one party is benefiting from all the corruption, there can never be a way to fix it. It is truly a frightening time to be an American.

Users who are viewing this thread