What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (2 Viewers)

I think you also have to acknowledge that a decent portion of the 75% wanting witnesses were republicans wanting Hunter and Joe as witnesses. 
Even better point than the one I made!  I don't think there's any real reason to hope that the lack of witnesses is going to impact elections in a positive way.  What I DO think could have a small (but potentially critical) impact will be the steady drip of additional information coming out.

I think it's time for the Democrats to start calling in favors since the US government has now said there is nothing wrong with doing so. I'm sure Obama knows some folks. I mean let's be real here. If there are international criminal acts to be uncovered by foreign governments, they aren't going to be about the candidates running on the Democratic side. 

No, Obama had more sense than that. He might have opposed guns, but he knew that trying to abuse his power by eliminating the 2nd Amendment would have been a huge disaster.
:mellow:  

ETA - I think your sarcasm meter is broken ;)  

Last edited by a moderator:
I frankly am starting to feel bad or embarrassed for democrats...I'ts like watching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0-26 losing streak of the mid 70's

Today is the best possible outcome for Democrats. Trump being removed from office was never a possibility. He was getting cleared from the start. But this cover-up and refusal to hear Bolton and others with first hand knowledge is something that GOP Senators will forever (possibly only a few months) have on their record. 

The amount of information about Trump's corruption, strong-arming, and personal vendetta with Biden is going to be immense. Parnas and Furman both have a lot to say. And have video, audio, etc. Not just heresay. And Bolton is about to be selling a book. A book of facts. And any loyalty he felt for Trump was destroyed when he started panicking and calling Bolton a liar. 

With every new fact that comes out showing Trump's slimy behavior, GOP Senators will be losing votes. And facing ridicule. The ads leading up the November are going to be aqbsolutely brutal. 

Also, expect Trump and William Barr to start exercising Nazi tactics on Bolton. They will attempt to silence him. Maybe even call some kind of bogus national security emergency that calls for his book to be destroyed before release. Probably confiscate his computers and threaten imprisonment of he does interviews. Getting away with yet another crime is going to embolden Trump even more. He's untouchable and he knows it. 
I wish I could share your and @timschochet optism but I think you are both giving the public way too much credit.

The good news is I no longer fear cancer. 

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1223025756764299264

Asked whether, under the Dems' impeachment standard, the Clinton campaign's solicitation of the Steele dossier would be considered foreign interference, illegal, or impeachable, @RepJeffries says no -- because the Steele dossier "was purchased."

This captures just one aspect of why this impeachment is so hypocritical/dumb. The same camp hyperventilating about "foreign interference in our democracy" paid for a fictional foreign dossier that fueled surveillance of a campaign & 3 years of all-consuming conspiracy theories.

Had Clinton won, would that have undermined the legitimacy of her victory, and, additionally, been impeachable? Under the Dems' (moronic) standard, you would think so. But nope, they argue: it wouldn't... because Clinton paid for it.

Your question assumes the Democrats don’t believe it was impeachable and are lying for political purposes.  You’re wrong on this. 

So pretty much the same assumptions this forum makes about Republicans.  The more I see the way arguements are framed with the attempts to shame Repubicans, the more I want to support Trump.   This forum is convinced the arguments to impeach and remove Trump are so overwhelming that only liars or brainwashed fools can not support it.   But yet only half the people in this country support the impeachment.  Maybe the framing is not so good.  It certainly is not effective in convincing people to flip.  

Is 2019 = 1977? Eh the Bucs made the playoffs just 2 years after. So... entering the White House in 2021 looks good. I'll take it.
Let's see how Trump is doing compared to his campaign promises

Mexico paying for wall= FAIL

Destroy ISIS= FAIL

Halt funding sanctuary cities= FAIL

Too hard working to golf= FAIL

$4000 pay raise for average families= FAIL

End North Korea nuke program= FAIL

Protect American steel jobs= FAIL

Bring back 50,000 coal jobs= FAIL

Eliminate Federal deficit= FAIL

Bring down the debt= FAIL

Repeal Obamacare= FAIL

Visions of Dewey Selmon and John McKay

Current state of the country:

Local Fox affiliate posts a story about Alexander’s statement on Facebook. Their headline focuses on the part of the statement where he said the impeachment was rushed and partisan.

One person in the comment posts a partial screenshot of his 3rd tweet in the statement where he states that there’s no need for more evidence because House managers proved the quid-pro-quo (paraphrasing). He first gets called out because the initial tweet was only a partial retweet, so he posts the complete tweet from Alexander’s statement. They then call it out as fake and some going as far as saying they looked and couldn’t find it. He then states that he’s a Republican and believed in country over party. That results in him being called out as a fake profile and no Republican would say that.

There’s no need for Russia to have a troll farm for this election, there’s plenty of US citizens doing their work for them.

So pretty much the same assumptions this forum makes about Republicans.  The more I see the way arguements are framed with the attempts to shame Repubicans, the more I want to support Trump.   This forum is convinced the arguments to impeach and remove Trump are so overwhelming that only liars or brainwashed fools can not support it.   But yet only half the people in this country support the impeachment.  Maybe the framing is not so good.  It certainly is not effective in convincing people to flip.  
Correct.  And you aren't a fan of that correct?

Let's see how Trump is doing compared to his campaign promises

Mexico paying for wall= FAIL

Destroy ISIS= FAIL

Halt funding sanctuary cities= FAIL

Too hard working to golf= FAIL

$4000 pay raise for average families= FAIL

End North Korea nuke program= FAIL

Protect American steel jobs= FAIL

Bring back 50,000 coal jobs= FAIL

Eliminate Federal deficit= FAIL

Bring down the debt= FAIL

Repeal Obamacare= FAIL

Visions of Dewey Selmon and John McKay
I guess Trump's on the fail-boat, huh?

This joke has been brought to you by Dads everywhere.

Current state of the country:

Local Fox affiliate posts a story about Alexander’s statement on Facebook. Their headline focuses on the part of the statement where he said the impeachment was rushed and partisan.

One person in the comment posts a partial screenshot of his 3rd tweet in the statement where he states that there’s no need for more evidence because House managers proved the quid-pro-quo (paraphrasing). He first gets called out because the initial tweet was only a partial retweet, so he posts the complete tweet from Alexander’s statement. They then call it out as fake and some going as far as saying they looked and couldn’t find it. He then states that he’s a Republican and believed in country over party. That results in him being called out as a fake profile and no Republican would say that.

There’s no need for Russia to have a troll farm for this election, there’s plenty of US citizens doing their work for them.
Subtext here is Alexander is claiming the House was both rushed, because they weren't patient enough to gather all the evidence, annnddd they also have proved with enough evidence that Trump did everything he's accused of, so no witnesses are needed.

And the ridiculous thing is he does not understand the world he is living in. Trumpers will assail him and his family anyway. Trump doesn't give two flips about his statement of guilt. And Dems and Indies will forever view him as a disgrace, his name forever linked to a footnote of shame in history.

But there is no correct answer.  That is why framing it as if there was and insulting everyone who disagrees is a terrible way to try to win the debate.  It is an opinion. 
Sure there is

ETA:  And HF showed us all exactly how to handle it in his response.

But there is no correct answer.  That is why framing it as if there was and insulting everyone who disagrees is a terrible way to try to win the debate.  It is an opinion. 
I'm confused.  If you believe it is all opinion and there is no correct answer, why did you originally infer that Democratic Senators voting for impeachment were doing so dishonestly?

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1223025756764299264

Asked whether, under the Dems' impeachment standard, the Clinton campaign's solicitation of the Steele dossier would be considered foreign interference, illegal, or impeachable, @RepJeffries says no -- because the Steele dossier "was purchased."

This captures just one aspect of why this impeachment is so hypocritical/dumb. The same camp hyperventilating about "foreign interference in our democracy" paid for a fictional foreign dossier that fueled surveillance of a campaign & 3 years of all-consuming conspiracy theories.

Had Clinton won, would that have undermined the legitimacy of her victory, and, additionally, been impeachable? Under the Dems' (moronic) standard, you would think so. But nope, they argue: it wouldn't... because Clinton paid for it.
weird.  It's almost as if quid pro quo is ok if the quid is private but not ok if public.

Bottom line is a good chunk of the country is voting in avaricious, unprincipled people. Who is Lamar Alexander? Why is he a Senator? The only reason he’s admitting Trump’s guilt is he’ll be leaving the Senate. Multiple others similarly know what happened and feel the same way but they are acting out of greed, fear and love of power. But it starts with voting these eels in in the first place. Alexander will be leaving covered in shame.
I'm a pretty independent voter, and I'm not entirely enamored with the Democratic Party, but thank goodness my two senators and my house rep are all Democrats who are on the right side of this debacle.  I feel bad for those of you in states/districts if your elected officials are going against the majority of their constituents in not calling for witnesses.

please tell me - what argument should have been made?  After seeing blatant corruption and seeing republicans called out for it, you want to support them more.  I don't get it.  What should the democrats have done to convince you that wrong, unethical behavior should not be supported?

weird.  It's almost as if quid pro quo is ok if the quid is private but not ok if public.
Fwiw this is how corrupt people justify corruption, private and public is comingled like they're the same. I heard an Edwin Edwards sycophant once explain that there's nothing wrong with having cash and there's nothing wrong with influencing with cash because it's just free speech.

This forum is convinced the arguments to impeach and remove Trump are so overwhelming that only liars or brainwashed fools can not support it.   
You could say that only fools and liars wouldn't want to hear from an ex-cabinet member who claims to have knowledge on the subject.  And yes, this is your cue to bring up that the house didn't take the time to run it through the courts.  Doesn't change the fact that the GOP Senators have no interest in finding the truth of the matter. Maintaining some level of plausible deniability for the President is their only goal in this thing. This despite taking a vow to be impartial.  So yeah, they're liars for sure.  I hope election results show them to be fools as well, but I don't have a lot of faith in that.  

I wish I shared his optimism, but I can't help but think you're right.

Trump will win going away this fall.  GOP will hold the Senate easily.  Trump may lose popular vote even more than 2016, but he'll be re-elected.
Could happen. And if it does I’ll be tremendously disappointed, and then move on. 

But there’s no reason I can see to be pessimistic beforehand. Trump barely won in 2016 and his support has not increased. Democrats are energized and highly motivated. Independents are going to be very angered by this coverup and other events. All the numbers, all the facts are on our side. That doesn’t guarantee a thing of course, but why not be positive? 

please tell me - what argument should have been made?  After seeing blatant corruption and seeing republicans called out for it, you want to support them more.  I don't get it.  What should the democrats have done to convince you that wrong, unethical behavior should not be supported?
You don't want to hear this, but what they should have done is removed Bill Clinton from office.  Now the GOP is just recycling many of the same positions the Democrats took two decades ago and the downward spiral continues.  Stop trying to blame and shame the other side.  Take some shared responsibility for where we are today, but make the case that we must draw the line in the sand or this state of corruption will only get worse.  

Could happen. And if it does I’ll be tremendously disappointed, and then move on. 

But there’s no reason I can see to be pessimistic beforehand. Trump barely won in 2016 and his support has not increased. Democrats are energized and highly motivated. Independents are going to be very angered by this coverup and other events. All the numbers, all the facts are on our side. That doesn’t guarantee a thing of course, but why not be positive? 
Because the Democrats have to nominate an actual candidate to run against Trump, and the people most likely be nominated are terrible.  It's like our political parties completely lost the ability to select reasonable candidates.

Because the Democrats have to nominate an actual candidate to run against Trump, and the people most likely be nominated are terrible.  It's like our political parties completely lost the ability to select reasonable candidates.
The term "terrible" is an objective one. Compared to Obama or even Bush, the Democratic candidates may seem terrible. But they won't be running against that type of person. They will be running against Donald Trump.  Not only the worst president in US history, but a truly horrible person. So these terrible candidates would all be 100x better than than what we have. 

You don't want to hear this, but what they should have done is removed Bill Clinton from office.  Now the GOP is just recycling many of the same positions the Democrats took two decades ago and the downward spiral continues.  Stop trying to blame and shame the other side.  Take some shared responsibility for where we are today, but make the case that we must draw the line in the sand or this state of corruption will only get worse.  
Well, we finally agree on something.  Our politicians have established that it's ok to lie under oath and it's ok to use the office of President for personal gain.  I've been pretty consistent and think both are a failure of our democracy.  What I haven't done, in either instance, is play the "what about" game.  I don't see the point and I don't understand why you guys do it.

The only thing left to do, once again, is make sure our feelings are made known this election cycle.  Not because this is the way it should be, but because this is the way it has to be since our politicians won't do their jobs.  

The argument that Trump did what he’s accused of is so overwhelming that only those categories can deny it. He violated the law and used the office of the Presidency for his own political gain in the process. And he obstructed Congress in its investigation.

Whether that’s removal level conduct is up for a sliver of debate (I don’t agree on any level with the “no” side, but that’s what should be discussed.)

I've been thinking about this. Mayor Pete seems like the obvious choice to me if the goal is to beat Trump. He's pretty clean-cut, male, white, speaks more articulately than Trump with comparable confidence to Trump, and is much better looking (see e.g. Kennedy v. Nixon debates). But, of course, he's nowehere near the top. 

And I recognize that I say this as the guy who thought that Kasich was the clear choice for Republicans in 2016. 

The term "terrible" is an objective one. Compared to Obama or even Bush, the Democratic candidates may seem terrible. But they won't be running against that type of person. They will be running against Donald Trump.  Not only the worst president in US history, but a truly horrible person. So these terrible candidates would all be 100x better than than what we have. 
It's like 2016 didn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread