What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bed bugs found in sons room (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
What is the play, anyone dealt with this?  Super gross.    I threw away all the bedding, put the mattress and frame outside, vacuumed.     What am i looking for in pest control provider?     Pretty new home also.   Yuck

I'll let the experts chime in, but this has become a huge problem in Northeastern hotels and the like the past decade due to sanitary measures being skirted because of concerns about the environment and bugs that are impervious to old fumigation techniques.

Not a good scene all around.

Best of luck. 

My sons room at college had them his freshman year. The college immediately got them out, kept everything in it but electronics and one change of clothes. Clothes immediately in the laundry. Room was quarantined and then “baked”  for two days. 

My sons room at college had them his freshman year. The college immediately got them out, kept everything in it but electronics and one change of clothes. Clothes immediately in the laundry. Room was quarantined and then “baked”  for two days. 
Yeah, I think standard treatment is quarantine and heat. I think it can take several treatments as I believe it may not kill the eggs.

I would vacuum every surface in the room and then dump the contents in a sealed bag and throw out right away.

BURN IT DOWN
Yep, sorry Dentist.  Burn the house down, throw away all your stuff and start over.  I'm only halfjoking. 

I've dealt with this before, it's an absolute nightmare.  I would find a highly-rated insect control service and spare no expense to get rid of them.  I can't remember if fumigating actually works on bedbugs.  Have them heat all the rooms.  Pillow cases, clothes on hangers and the like are basically a lost cause unless you are ok to throw them in the dryer.  They need 20 minutes in the dryer at least- that's from an insect guy who does this for a living around here. 

They will burrow and wait into the most obscure places imaginable- the inside cuff of a jacket, the inner fold of a bed liner.  Unless you are ok to spend the time microscopically combing over every fiber of every fabric, just burn it down or throw it away. 

One bit of good news is they tend to stay away from plastics and metals like computers, electronics etc.  But they love fabric and wood.  Best of luck to you, you'll get through this.  

Yep, sorry Dentist.  Burn the house down, throw away all your stuff and start over.  I'm only halfjoking. 

I've dealt with this before, it's an absolute nightmare.  I would find a highly-rated insect control service and spare no expense to get rid of them.  I can't remember if fumigating actually works on bedbugs.  Have them heat all the rooms.  Pillow cases, clothes on hangers and the like are basically a lost cause unless you are ok to throw them in the dryer.  They need 20 minutes in the dryer at least- that's from an insect guy who does this for a living around here. 

They will burrow and wait into the most obscure places imaginable- the inside cuff of a jacket, the inner fold of a bed liner.  Unless you are ok to spend the time microscopically combing over every fiber of every fabric, just burn it down or throw it away. 

One bit of good news is they tend to stay away from plastics and metals like computers, electronics etc.  But they love fabric and wood.  Best of luck to you, you'll get through this.  
I think they use cold, not heat, to kill these things.

@Nick Vermeil

Every hotel I stay in I read the bed bugs report website and obsessively check the underneath of beds. Sounds like a nightmare. 

Every hotel I stay in I read the bed bugs report website and obsessively check the underneath of beds. Sounds like a nightmare. 
I'd insert a quip here about you being a fun guy and all, but I do. not. blame. you.

Like ren alluded to, these things, from what I've read, are just an infestation problem and a disaster for homeowners.

So instead of a quip, I'll offer a glllllll peas

My wife is so paranoid of these things. They cause her PTSD. I had an exterminator out to our house twice since we went to a hotel in July just to reassure her we don't have them. 

Jeez, just bought this place 1.5 years ago, it's brand new and 85 percent paid for.  Effing bad beats.

these mother effers can live in electrical outlets for up to a YEAR without feeding... then they come out.... 

When I moved to toronto years ago, in a condo building, i literally had a phobia every single damned night we stayed there. 

reason being, it doesnt matter how damn clean you or your building are... if someone brings em in... you're screwed.

apparently the only foolproof method is having your home heated to like 150 degrees or something wild

Eeeesh I really try not to think about it 
This. No way am I obsessing over this. Checking websites and under the beds in hotels?!  Jesus. I travel a decent amount and that sounds like a huge time suck.  I just hope for the best. And if ever we get an infestation, we’ll call in the bug guys and nuke the place and start over. 

Most of my clothes don’t fit me anyway. 

This. No way am I obsessing over this. Checking websites and under the beds in hotels?!  Jesus. I travel a decent amount and that sounds like a huge time suck.  I just hope for the best. And if ever we get an infestation, we’ll call in the bug guys and nuke the place and start over. 

It’s super easy to check a hotel bed. Pull the sheet at the corners and check the seams. Three minutes tops. It will be obvious if there is a problem. And don’t unpack into drawers. Put your bag on the luggage stand away from beds/furniture. 

these mother effers can live in electrical outlets for up to a YEAR without feeding... then they come out.... 

When I moved to toronto years ago, in a condo building, i literally had a phobia every single damned night we stayed there. 

reason being, it doesnt matter how damn clean you or your building are... if someone brings em in... you're screwed.

apparently the only foolproof method is having your home heated to like 150 degrees or something wild
That's what the people are doing that are coming out Wednesday, heating up my sons room to 140 for the whole day.  And we've trashed his mattress and bedding and a recliner chair that was in the room.  In the process of high heat washing and drying his clothes.   So effing gross.

We'd been trying to figure out what had been causing this rash he had been fighting the better part of a month, had taken him to the doctor and had him on medicine and cream and it was these effing bugs the whole time

My family was visiting my sister in law's family in Panama and went to a rustic beachside vacation spot.  Everyone woke up the next day with bad rashes... Bedbugs.

We traveled back to the US and laundered our clothes on hot and then left the suitcases in giant sealed bags for 16 months.

Never had any issues in our house (knock on wood).

My family was visiting my sister in law's family in Panama and went to a rustic beachside vacation spot.  Everyone woke up the next day with bad rashes... Bedbugs.

We traveled back to the US and laundered our clothes on hot and then left the suitcases in giant sealed bags for 16 months.

Sadly bedbugs can live without food or air for 17 months. 

Suitcases would have gone directly in the trash. They aren’t that expensive. 

I am sorry but this sucks. I got them in our beach house when we purchased a chair from an antique store. Luckily it only spread to one bedroom before we found them. Even so it took a long time and expense to get rid of them.  Don’t mess around and be cheap on this. Dont use home remedy crap either as you need an exterminator that specializes in bed bugs.  Get them out ASAP to look at it as hopefully they haven’t spread to the rest of the house. Though you need to treat whole house not just room as they run from the heat. Also find a place that guarantees there work.  The good ones will guarantee like for a year if they come back so you don’t need to pay for it twice.  They will be more expensive but it is worth it as it usually takes more then one treatment to remove.  

The good ones will do a combination of heating the house to an extreme temperature and will likely also fumigate.  As I understand it they fumigation is more to stop them from reproducing and the heat will kill them.  Fumigation will not work alone as the little ####ers hide. You will need to move out of the house for this process.  

If you haven’t done it yet throw out all of his bedding.  I would also throw out his bed. At a minimum you need to wash all his clothing on high heat and high dryer to try and save them but honestly I would just throw it all out. You will likely need to replace his bed frame and all his furniture but wouldn’t do that just yet but I am warning you.  We had to fully replace furniture in two rooms.

He should start sleeping in a different room if you haven’t already.

Also, buy these for all your beds and push them off the walls.  Need to try to make sure they don’t spread to other rooms and these will help  - https://www.amazon.com/7Penn-Bed-Bug-Interceptors-Traps/dp/B07GJZ4RYS/ref=asc_df_B07GJZ4RYS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241960413056&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=502548580788393089&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004351&hvtargid=pla-598930634291&psc=1

Good luck. You will need it!

Last edited by a moderator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewL5nDE3FSI

Just use this setup for each hotel visit. 

sucks, happened to me before, twice.  both brought back from vacations.  now i check every hotel i ever go to, no matter how nice and clean it appears.

get ready to do a lot of hot laundry, throw things away, etc. 

i also get a rash from their bites. 

had an exterminator do most of the things you are mentioned, also.  showed me the typical places they hide (in my bedroom, they were hiding in the headboard). 

What is the play, anyone dealt with this?  Super gross.    I threw away all the bedding, put the mattress and frame outside, vacuumed.     What am i looking for in pest control provider?     Pretty new home also.   Yuck
You will not be happy with the price for ridding yourself of them.

sucks, happened to me before, twice.  both brought back from vacations.  now i check every hotel i ever go to, no matter how nice and clean it appears.

get ready to do a lot of hot laundry, throw things away, etc. 

i also get a rash from their bites. 
Tell your mom to stop using roadside motels imo

How hard are these things to spot? 
Look in cracks/crevasses near the corners of your bed.  You'll see small brownish bugs and/or black specks (blood from them feasting on you or the person in the room before you).  I use the flashlight on my phone to help spot them.  Since the infestation in my house and now being diligent about checking every hotel room, I have found them twice in different hotels I went to - once around Harrisburg, PA when I was at a tournament and once at the really big hotel at Cedar Springs. 

When I got to a hotel, I basically just check the four corners of the bed.  If the bed also has a headboard, I check in the cracks around that. 

As someone else mentioned, I usually just leave my clothes in my bag if it's a short stay.  If it's a long stay, we do risk it and put the clothes in the drawers.

Users who are viewing this thread