What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brace yourself, something wonderful is about to happen. FAR SIDE is returning! (1 Viewer)

Bummer, Hal.

GB this is great news. Only better news was when Bloom County came back for a spell. 

:lmao: to my childhood faves. 

My favorite cartoon as a kid (ever, actually) and one of the few things that made it seem cool to be a science nerd.

I've been to the Louvre, Guggenheim, MoMA, etc. and my favorite art exhibit is still "The Far Side of Science" I saw at the California Academy of Sciences in 1986.

Reprints or new material I'm happy either way. 

ETA: Just last week I pulled up the one with the kid pushing on the "pull" door at the School for the Gifted to illustrate a point about myself to my buddy from South Korea. He didn't really get it (probably because he's gifted), but we spent half an hour going through the classics anyway. 

So days after lamenting that "they just don't make them like this anymore" (yes, get off my lawn) this news pops up.

Rules. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it's coming back. I bet they're just going to announce that all the old strips will finally be available online.

Watterson is still alive. I believe he did his own color. Wish he’d do it again but that’s extremely unlikely. 
Watterson became a non-negative recluse that his hometown protects regarding publicity. He granted an interview five-seven years ago that I remember reading. He's an interesting guy who never took IP in his creations nor marketed them. People were allowed to steal and pass his creations off. He never protected them because he felt they were beyond that. They were almost human, or at least he followed a droit du moral theory of copyright about his characters that was uncopyrightable.

Really interesting dude. 

My 11 year old is really into these. He's read the first 5 books. The only problem now is that he tries to verbally explain individual far side comics all the time to me and others. I keep explaining that you just can't do that. But he persists. 

ETA: Just last week I pulled up the one with the kid pushing on the "pull" door at the School for the Gifted to illustrate a point about myself to my buddy from South Korea. He didn't really get it (probably because he's gifted), but we spent half an hour going through the classics anyway. 
When I think of this cartoon, this is what I immediately think of.  So good.  :lol:  

Loved both this and Calvin and Hobbes. Saw a few fan comics that highlighted Hobbes meeting Calvin and Susie's daughter, with hijinks ensuing. Brought back great memories.

Saddest day ever was when my School For the Gifted t-shirt got so threadbare I couldn't wear it anymore. Is there like a compendium of every one of the Far Side originals like there is for Calvin & Hobbes? I got that as a Xmas present a few years ago, best gift ever.

Read the title has Farscape and was excited.  But still good to see it's back.
6 months ago coinciding with the 20 year anniversary of the first airing, Amazon Prime added Farscape back on streaming. They even have the Peacekeeper Wars miniseries too.

There's been some chatter about a revival or a movie but I'll believe it when I see it. Edit: Although Guardians of the Galaxy is kind of like a reboot. James Gunn said Farscape was his biggest influence for Guardians.

Saddest day ever was when my School For the Gifted t-shirt got so threadbare I couldn't wear it anymore. Is there like a compendium of every one of the Far Side originals like there is for Calvin & Hobbes? I got that as a Xmas present a few years ago, best gift ever.
I've had the Midvale School for the Gifted for years and years now.  Every time, me, my son or my wife do something stupid we start off with "hey Midvale. . . " that or we'll say "here's your cup of coffee, you've earned it today!" :)

Users who are viewing this thread