Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
ChiefD

Do You Wear Gloves When You Mow?

Do You Wear Gloves When You Mow?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Me: No.

But have noticed several guys around the neighborhood do. What say you?

Up until about a year ago, never did. 

Now, I’m about 50% of the time, especially if I’m doing other stuff (raking leaves, weeding, etc). 

100% wearing protective eyewear. Took a pebble to the bridge of my nose a few years ago. Figured eyesight was worth looking like a dork for an hour. 

• Thanks 1

No gloves, but you're ballsy if you dont wear protective eyewear.  Dewalt makes protective sunglasses that I will always wear.

• Like 1

My across the street neighbor who is a complete dork wears gloves on his riding mower.

Eta: I'll wear gloves if I'm doing a lot of raking of leaves that's about it.   And eyewear if edging 

Edited by belljr
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Started a few years ago when I started getting eczema on my hands.  My bad.

I do, but the wasps have it out for me so I need some kind of armor.

I did for awhile not long ago, but one of my kids hit something with the blade and it started vibrating something fierce - even after changing the bent blade. The gloves provided some much need "cushion" until I bought a new mower. I will admit that I kind of enjoyed having them on when I mowed. If I thought to put them on, I might still wear them but it doesn't generally cross my mind.

Yes, also wear eye protection and hearing protection. And, because I'm a dork, heavy pants along with long or compression sleeves no matter how hot it is. Add boots to the mix also.

Funny thing is, I haven't trimmed/cut my grass since August 22nd. We haven't had any measurable rain in over two weeks here. 

:banned:

When I mow, the only thing I wear are gloves.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

I’d wear gloves, eyewear, and occasionally a dust mask. :gang2:

I don't wear gloves but do wear safety glasses and ear plugs.  My safety glasses are shades and look sweet.   I normally use the weed eater before I mow and you are asking for an eye injury if you don't wear eye protection.

I wear hearing protection because I have some hearing loss and don't want to lose any more.  I grew up on a farm, worked construction and sang in a rock band.  Hearing aids are in my future but I hope to put it off for another decade.  

• Like 2

I usually just throw a hand towel over my.......ah nevermind.

no gloves, but I have a battery powered mower, so its basically the same thing. 

Edited by glvsav37

Glasses and earmuffs (hate earplugs) when I’m mowing, swap shorts for pants when weed eating/edging, but no gloves.  I really only wear gloves if I’m doing anything that has potential to cut me, or if I’m doing a lot of shoveling or raking that’ll cause blisters. 

My neighbor wears a bright red hard hat with flip down earmuffs and a flip down face shield when he runs his weed eater.  I laughed my ### off at him 10 years ago but I’ve taken a few pebbles and things off the face and am honestly considering his face shield now...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

They wearing safety glasses too?

Sunglasses usually, even when I'm weed eating.  A few years ago I wasn't wearing and a pebble smacked near my eye.  Won't be doing that again. Besides we do our lawn Care in the sun. 

Noise cancelling headphones, listen to music or podcasts.

My kids do 99% of the mowing I tell them to wear sunglasses too. 

Edited by -OZ-
  • Like 1

I don’t wear gloves but I do wear Bluetooth  ear protection. Can easily listen to tunes while saving my hearing

Edited by boots11234
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Yes got sick of women complaining about my cold hands. 

He said mow, not plow.

• Laughing 2

I do.  It makes me feel like Odell Beckham Jr on the rider mower.

• Thanks 1

I wear my normal glasses, long pants and sneakers to mow, but no gloves. I have taken some ricochet shots in the past and I figure my regular eyeglasses will protect me fine.

Also tend to wear bluetooth headphones while mowing, but more for the tunes than noise protection, but imagine it works for that too.

I wear 2 Nike batting gloves,arm sleeves, and compression shorts to keep my hamstrings warm when I mow. Wear my old steel golf spikes too to aerate while mowing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

no

but then i have the battle tested, worn, rugged hands of a career office worker

Edited by mr. furley

6 minutes ago, That one guy said:

Beer in one hand, steering wheel in the other (riding mower)

Can't believe it took that long to get the right answer...   Gloves??  

My wife does all the yard work but...no, I don't think she wears gloves. Riding mower.

Not sure if she wears gloves when using the edge trimmer.

She does wear gloves when mulching.

1 hour ago, That one guy said:

Beer in one hand, steering wheel in the other (riding mower)

The best beer I ever had was the one right after mowing.

I haven't mowed since UConn won the NCAA tournament and I won four bracket pools. I used some of the cash to pay for the mowing. Once you go down that road, there's no going back. 

That being said, no gloves when I did mow. just sun glasses were my only protective wear. 

1 hour ago, TheFanatic said:

I haven't mowed since UConn won the NCAA tournament and I won four bracket pools. I used some of the cash to pay for the mowing. Once you go down that road, there's no going back. 

That being said, no gloves when I did mow. just sun glasses were my only protective wear. 

After a 3 year mowing hiatus - I fired my guy and am back at it!@#$

19 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Yes got sick of women complaining about my cold hands. 

Not to mention the additional thickness you assume.

On rare occasions I will, but I don't go out of my way to put them on. If I'm dealing with thorny plants before mowing, sure.

On 9/16/2019 at 7:59 PM, Quint said:

100% wearing protective eyewear. Took a pebble to the bridge of my nose a few years ago. Figured eyesight was worth looking like a dork for an hour. 

My advice would be don't mow your pebbles.