What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Johnson, HOU (1 Viewer)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
I started watching this guy a bit last season. My cousin who is more of a Gophers fan than I am said he thinks Tyler Johnson is better than Decker was, and that he might be worth a 1st round pick. I dunno about that but this did get me interested in watching Johnson play. He has really good hands and body control. He runs the slant route really well. He had a fantastic game last week.

Gophers senior receiver Tyler Johnson earns Big Ten weekly award

Tyler Johnson on early 2020 NFL Draft top 100

I guess Johnson is up to 49 on CBS list now. Moved up 3 spots after this game. So maybe my cousin isnt that far off.

I hope he keeps it up. The Gophers have another WR Bateman who looks pretty good as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson caught three passes for 28 yards in a 28-21 victory over South Dakota State on Thursday.

Well, that's a disappointing start. Johnson is a bit of a victim of expectations after his excellent junior season, but he didn't play well in this one, and made a couple of rare drops. It's just one game, and keep in mind Johnson went for 78-1,169-12 last year for the Golden Gophers while flirting with the NFL. Expect a much better game next Saturday against Fresno State.

Aug 30, 2019, 12:10 AM ET

Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson caught 10 passes for 140 yards and 3 touchdowns in a 35-32 victory over Georgia Southern.

Johnson (6'2/200) won the game for the Gophers with an amazing leaping grab over the Georgia Southern defender with :46 left to put Minnesota up 35-32. Johnson had started the 2019 season a little slow with only seven catches for 99 yards and one touchdown up until today. He broke out in a big way and will look to keep the positive trend rolling when Minnesota faces Purdue after their bye this week.

Sep 14, 2019, 11:04 PM ET

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson is "an average-sized receiver with average speed and no outstanding physical traits."

This is far from a consensus take on Johnson, with Pauline assigning the Gophers senior a sixth-round grade for next spring's draft. Not everybody is so pessimistic. NFL Media's veteran analyst Gil Brandt tagged Johnson as the No. 3 senior wide receiver back in the spring, while PFF's Austin Gayle notes that the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder's "suddenness translates after the catch." Johnson is a big-play hero, posting 29 plays of 15 or more yards during the 2018 campaign. Pauline may view him as a fifth-round talent, but we would be surprised if he dropped that far next spring.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Jul 19, 2019, 11:20 AM ET

PFF's Austin Gayle said Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson's "suddenness translates after the catch."

Gayle and Jesse Reeves went through the positives (a lot) and the negatives (not many) of Johnson's game, and Johnson's suddenness was a clear talking point. Johnson can win off the line of scrimmage and can separate at breaks during his route. PFF and the analytics community is going to be high on the Minnesota senior during the pre-draft process, especially if he cleans up his drop rate. Johnson has top-50 overall potential.

SOURCE: Rivals

Jul 16, 2019, 10:04 PM ET

With the First Pick's Nicholas Perlich calls Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson a "terror after the catch."

"[Johnson] has an excellent size-speed-athleticism combination that allows him to make a lot of contested catches," Perlich writes of the 6-foot-1, 200-pound senior. The Minnesota standout was a big play waiting to happen last season, logging a hearty 29 plays of 15 or more yards, tops among returning Big Ten wideouts per PFF. Johnson put forth a beautiful 78-1169-12 receiving line for the campaign. It may be difficult for him to squeak into Round 1 of next spring's draft simply due to the overwhelming amount of draft-eligible talent at receiver, but even if he fails to land on Day 1, he possesses enticing NFL-caliber skills.

SOURCE: With the First Pick

Jun 26, 2019, 5:37 PM ET

Chris Trapasso of 247Sports believes that Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson could be a fit for the Detroit Lions.

The last time the Lions took a wide receiver in the first named Johnson, it worked out ok, in our opinion. Johnson was one of the best -- and most underrated -- wideouts in the country last year, but analysts certainly have taken notice of the 6-foot-2, 200-pound wideout. The wide receiver group in Detroit features Kenny Golladay, but behind him, there's not a lot to write home about. Be it Johnson or another player in this loaded wideout class, it absolutely makes sense for Detroit to target a receiver in 2020.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Jun 25, 2019, 9:20 PM ET

Last season, Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson logged 29 plays of 15 or more yards, the best mark among returning Big Ten wideouts.

Hat tip to Pro Football Focus on the big-play metrics, here. Johnson was followed up by Ohio State's K.J. Hill (24), Purdue's Rondale Moore (22), Gophs teammate Rashod Bateman (20) and Penn State's KJ Hamler (19). For the overall 2018 campaign, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Johnson rocked a 78-1169-12 receiving line. Back in May, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt ranked the future NFL-er as his No. 3 senior wideout for next spring's draft.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Jun 5, 2019, 4:19 PM ET

NFL Analyst Gil Brand ranked Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson as his No. 3 senior WR in the 2020 draft class.

Johnson (6'2/200) is slotted behind Texas WR Collin Johnson and Ohio State WR K.J. Hill on Brandt's list. Johnson's rank of No. 3 speaks less to his own ability and more about the 2020 class of wide receivers. There's a legitimate chance that Johnson would have been a top-3 wide receiver had he declared for the NFL Draft in 2019. He's coming off a monster 78/1169/12 season as a junior and figures to play a big role in the Gophers offense again in 2019.

SOURCE: Gil Brandt on Twitter

May 19, 2019, 1:06 PM ET

Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson caught six passes for 130 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's 42-7 win over Rutgers.

Johnson (6'2/200) was having a relatively quiet afternoon before he and QB Tanner Morgan hooked up for a 56-yard score in the fourth quarter. For the campaign, now, the senior wideout has caught 39 passes for 589 yards and six touchdowns across seven games played. Up next on the docket for the undefeated Gophers, a home game against Maryland.

Oct 19, 2019, 7:05 PM ET

Bleacher Report draft analyst Matt Miller considers Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson to be a late-round prospect in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Johnson (6'2/205) has been very productive for the undefeated Golden Gophers, catching 43 passes for 626 yards and seven touchdowns. But that production hasn't done much to change Miller's opinion on the senior wideout. "Johnson is 6'2", 205 pounds, which means he's decent-sized, but his physique isn't a strength. He's not notably fast or strong on his routes or with the ball in his hands," Miller wrote. While Johnson received praise for his ability to make catches in traffic, the reason why he has to do that so often is what negatively impacts his draft prospects.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Nov 8, 2019, 6:00 PM ET

The Lions scored forcing the Gophers to stop being conservative with a lead and Rashod Bateman made some big plays. He is over 200 yards receiving now.

12 minutes left but the Lions are driving and this game may have a lot of scoring yet.

The Gophers were able to get an early lead in part due to Antoine Winfield JR getting two interceptions.

Well the Lions turned it over on downs goal to go.

So now the Gophers may try to put a long drive together. I thought the Lions were going to score there.

Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson caught seven passes for 104 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's 31-26 win over Penn State.

Johnson (6'2/205) showed off his concentration and body control on a beaut of a 38-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter, hauling in the ball down the left sideline with a defender sticking tight. He did not have to break stride after the grab, shedding his would-be tackler while staying in bounds on his way into the end zone. Johnson is now up to eight touchdown grabs on the year.

Nov 9, 2019, 3:45 PM ET

The Gophers are really struggling against the Hawkeyes. Down by 14 at half time.

Johnson has made some good catches so far in the game and the Gophers haven't been able to run the ball, so there may be some 2nd half fireworks.

Somewhat inexplicable drop by Johnson who if he makes the catch was in position to possibly score. He is normally so money on these plays.

Johnson gets lit up after the drop and they call a penalty but the Gophers head coach runs on the field and gets a penalty as well. Otherwise it would have been 1st and goal for the Gophers.

Somewhat inexplicable drop by Johnson who if he makes the catch was in position to possibly score. He is normally so money on these plays.

Johnson gets lit up after the drop and they call a penalty but the Gophers head coach runs on the field and gets a penalty as well. Otherwise it would have been 1st and goal for the Gophers.
Uncanny drop and poor choice by coach. I think because it happened after the pass was incomplete that it would not have been a first down for MIN either way.

Uncanny drop and poor choice by coach. I think because it happened after the pass was incomplete that it would not have been a first down for MIN either way.
I guess maybe it wouldnt have been a 1st down?

By NFL rules it would have. College is weird.

The team as a whole made a lot of mistakes.

Tough to win on the road, much less against a top 20-ish team.  Didn’t need perfect, but needed to be a lot closer to perfect than it was.  Too many drops, and some real questionable decisions by Fleck.  

Burning that second timeout on 1st and goal hurt, but they still had a chance.  No idea why they decided to try an onside kick.  Your backup freshman kicker had already missed one PAT, and bounced another off the upright.  You really think he’s going to execute the onside kick?  Less than 1% chance that happens.  Either way, you need a stop.  That decision just cost them about 40 yards, and the ensuing possession was disastrous from there.  

Funny... I want to say it was their worst game in  B10 play, but that’s kind of stating the obvious.  And, like someone mentioned last week (when Penn State fans were saying they played their worst game of the year), don’t undefeated teams usually say that when they suffer their first loss?

i have been cautiously optimistic about this team from the get-go.  Going into last week, I was hoping for a 2-2 finish, which gets them to 10-2.  Looks like that’s probably pretty realistic, although I’m still hopeful that they can knock off the Badgers and get to the Rose Bowl.  

Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson brought in nine passes for 170 yards with a touchdown in a 23-19 loss to Iowa on Saturday.

Johnson has a monster game -- again -- for the Golden Gophers, but unfortunately for him and Minnesota, it comes in a loss. The fact the loss comes against a rival can't feel all that great, either. His touchdown was a 28-yarder that got the Gophers back in the game from Tanner Morgan; making the score 20-13 with 11:35 to play in the third. Johnson (6'2/205) is one of the most underrated players in college football, and he's going to make someone happy in the NFL at this point next year. He'll hope to put up similar numbers in a winning effort against lowly Northwestern.

Nov 16, 2019, 7:28 PM ET

Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson caught six passes for 147 yards with a touchdown in a 38-17 loss to Wisconsin on Saturday.

Johnson's touchdown had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game, as it came with the Golden Gophers trailing 38-10 late in the fourth quarter. Still counts, and Johnson (6'2/205) has his 11th touchdown and now has 74 receptions on the 2019 campaign. The 10-2 Gophers won't play for the Big Ten title, but a quality bowl game is assured.

Nov 30, 2019, 6:58 PM ET

Minnesota senior WR Tyler Johnson caught 12 passes for 204 yards and two touchdowns in Wednesday's 31-24 win over Auburn in the Outback Bowl.

Now that's how you close out a collegiate career. Johnson (6'2/205) not only came through with volume a-plenty, he also came through for the early 2020 highlight reel. His end-of-the-first half touchdown grab from two yards out was as good as it gets, with Johnson reaching up to the sky with one hand to come down with the pass all while planting his foot right in bounds at the back of the end zone. Johnson will move on from Minnesota having posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. Combine testing and the like will be huge for the trajectory of the wideout's draft stock in the spring.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:15 PM ET

Just not sure how excited to get about Johnson. What he did today against a legit SEC defense today was impressive.

Will he be the next NFL Calvin Johnson or something closer to James Washington...or somewhere in between? Just not sure....but definitely a guy to watch.

GREAT football instincts.

Just not sure how excited to get about Johnson. What he did today against a legit SEC defense today was impressive.

Will he be the next NFL Calvin Johnson or something closer to James Washington...or somewhere in between? Just not sure....but definitely a guy to watch.

GREAT football instincts.
Its hard for me to find a direct comparison to Johnson that seems right.

What I do know is that the Gophers have other WR such as Bateman who look faster than Johnson does on the field. Johnson can win deep but it isn't because of great speed such as James Washington.

He isn't as big as Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson but I think he is more similar to Andre than he is Washington.

As you say very good football techniques and understanding of leverage and coverage. Runs good routes and he is stong at the catch point. He can make one handed catches if needed. He is especially good on the slant route, generally not afraid to work the middle of the field.He plays like a bigger WR than he is.

I want to say he is similar to Andre Johnson, but obviously he isn't as big and he may not be as fast. He is a complete WR though and could be a teams WR 1 in time I think.

The easiest comp that was fresh in my mind when I watched him was a non-explosive N'Keal Harry.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement considering separation questions for Harry.  I'm not sold on him at all, but I will say his production at age 19 and 20 being on a higher level than Lamb or Jeudy is super impressive.  

Plus these charts kind of paint a pretty flattering light on him - https://twitter.com/JesseReevesFF/status/1212469034261737472

PFF College‏Verified account @PFF_College

Tyler Johnson was the highest-graded WR this season

11:15 AM - 15 Jan 2020

>>>> 📊 >>>>  See chart LINK

-----------------------------------------------

Fusue Vue‏ @lifesyourcup 15h15 hours ago

You better have a good reason if you put Tyler Johnson outside your top 5 WRs in this class.

57.2 dominator rating....  :eek:
Stats like this are not that important to me but the Gophers did have a couple of other pretty good WR on the team as well.

Rashod Bateman looks faster than Johnson but not as reliable, he had 60 receptions and close to the same yards and TD as Johnson.

Chris Autman Bell is kind of a RB/WR tweener type. He didn't have that many catches but there were some key plays made by him at times that I saw.

I say this just to point out that it wasn't Johnson and no one else.

Their offense was pretty heavy run and they would run RPOs off of it.

57.2 dominator rating....  :eek:
Stats like this are not that important to me but the Gophers did have a couple of other pretty good WR on the team as well.

Rashod Bateman looks faster than Johnson but not as reliable, he had 60 receptions and close to the same yards and TD as Johnson.

Chris Autman Bell is kind of a RB/WR tweener type. He didn't have that many catches but there were some key plays made by him at times that I saw.

I say this just to point out that it wasn't Johnson and no one else.

Their offense was pretty heavy run and they would run RPOs off of it.
The only year when his market share got that high was 2017, which is before Bateman or Autman-Bell got there. (Johnson also had good numbers in 2018 and 2019, but not that good.)

The only year when his market share got that high was 2017, which is before Bateman or Autman-Bell got there. (Johnson also had good numbers in 2018 and 2019, but not that good.)
I wasnt even watching them then so I cant add context on 2017.

What's going on in here. Johnson seems like a player in the midst of a meteoric fall, a guy to be worried about not excited about. 

Wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl.

Dropped out of the Shrine Game after a couple practices.

Rumored character concerns.

Not obviously an athletic dynamo.

Will he definitely be invited to the combine? These are all red flags. 

What's going on in here. Johnson seems like a player in the midst of a meteoric fall, a guy to be worried about not excited about. 

Wasn't invited to the Senior Bowl.

Dropped out of the Shrine Game after a couple practices.

Rumored character concerns.

Not obviously an athletic dynamo.

Will he definitely be invited to the combine? These are all red flags. 
I have heard nothing regarding character concerns. Everyone knows he was a senior bowl snub. He elected to drop out of Shrine practices to focus on combine training.

IMO, This is a case of the dots NOT connecting

I have heard nothing regarding character concerns. Everyone knows he was a senior bowl snub. He elected to drop out of Shrine practices to focus on combine training.

IMO, This is a case of the dots NOT connecting

The current Senior Bowl guys are excellent a their jobs, and as you said decided to snub someone whose name EVERYONE knows. I'm just saying that means something rather than nothing. 

Johnson committing to and then pulling out of a situation where NFL scouts could see him competing against other potential NFL talent, in order to practice to get better in shorts, is something old school NFL guys will dislike. Rightly or wrongly these "all star" type games are a big point in the process for some prospects as scouts like to see them compete and practice. 

Matt Miller is a guy we all kill in regards to his own eye for talent, but there's no doubt that he's in contact with scouts and NFL people (who greatly effect his rankings when guys get sudden rises and drops as he "looks at them again" throughout the process) and he has said there are character concerns. Enough to drop his projection down to 6th-7th round after being fairly high on him in the early fall!

The breadcrumbs that something is off with Tyler Johnson are out there. Maybe it's nothing but imo it's worth bringing up in his thread here in the Shark Pool while we compile info. People are free to like him, I just noticed posters here are really high on him and it didn't match some of the other chatter I'd seen. In the end we'll see what the NFL thinks and we'll all make our own evaluations. Right now we're just sharing info.

The current Senior Bowl guys are excellent a their jobs, and as you said decided to snub someone whose name EVERYONE knows. I'm just saying that means something rather than nothing. 

Johnson committing to and then pulling out of a situation where NFL scouts could see him competing against other potential NFL talent, in order to practice to get better in shorts, is something old school NFL guys will dislike. Rightly or wrongly these "all star" type games are a big point in the process for some prospects as scouts like to see them compete and practice. 

Matt Miller is a guy we all kill in regards to his own eye for talent, but there's no doubt that he's in contact with scouts and NFL people (who greatly effect his rankings when guys get sudden rises and drops as he "looks at them again" throughout the process) and he has said there are character concerns. Enough to drop his projection down to 6th-7th round after being fairly high on him in the early fall!

The breadcrumbs that something is off with Tyler Johnson are out there. Maybe it's nothing but imo it's worth bringing up in his thread here in the Shark Pool while we compile info. People are free to like him, I just noticed posters here are really high on him and it didn't match some of the other chatter I'd seen. In the end we'll see what the NFL thinks and we'll all make our own evaluations. Right now we're just sharing info.
Any substance to these off the field concerns?

Seems to be. They don’t overtly talk about this stuff. I also heard he had some trouble with the previous Minnesota coaching staff before the current staff got put in place.
What type of trouble are we talking? The current staff has now been here for three years. That’s a pretty significant portion of a college player’s career.

Seems to be. They don’t overtly talk about this stuff. I also heard he had some trouble with the previous Minnesota coaching staff before the current staff got put in place.
Johnson is from North Mpls same as me. It can be easy to run with the wrong crowd or be friends or family of someone doing something.

I have not found anything specific or heard anything about this and Johnson before though. I will keep looking.

I did find this article with some nice cut ups of johnsons plays.

I forgot that people really get carried away with things on twitter. One of the reasons I never use twitter. it would drive me insane.

Just because you and your pals were bored and got worked up about something you have no actual knowledge of does not make it news.

I found out about this from this Gophers thread back in November and this does seem to have been a thing.

Digging deeper it seems that Miller thinks Tyler Johnson has an attitude of entitlement. Thats the "character issue" and completely unsubstantiated.

For all we know if a scout told Miller that they might be right, they might be wrong or it might be intentional misinformation.

Digging deeper it seems that Miller thinks Tyler Johnson has an attitude of entitlement. Thats the "character issue" and completely unsubstantiated.
If you were allowed to only have “attitude of entitlement” WRs, you could have drafted some of the best players of all time. 

Any substance to these off the field concerns?

No idea to be honest. Miller didn't go into detail to my knowledge but has stood firm. Who knows what his source is. Others have accused him of character assassination of course. 

But the senior bowl snub, from respected organizers of the event, could be something.

Guess we won't know till we see what the NFL thinks or more rumors emerge. He looks like a good football player. 

No idea to be honest. Miller didn't go into detail to my knowledge but has stood firm. Who knows what his source is. Others have accused him of character assassination of course. 

But the senior bowl snub, from respected organizers of the event, could be something.

Guess we won't know till we see what the NFL thinks or more rumors emerge. He looks like a good football player. 
I will keep looking into it.

Thanks for bringing it up. I agree the senior bowl snub seems odd.

Users who are viewing this thread