What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2019 OFFENSE/DEFENSE CONTEST WEEK 3 (1 Viewer)

Linky to week 2

+49+(43-0) = +92

Used:

Offense: BAL, NE

Defense: BAL, NE

Week 3....

Hmmm.....

welll I guess that I'll go...

Offense: Dallas

Defense: Dallas

Pretty tough call.

:boxing:

-QG

Used:

Offense: BAL, NE

Defense: BAL, NE

Week 3

This is getting boring.  It's like a soccer team trying to tie so they both advance. 

C'mon one of you, change it up a little.  Just going to pick both teams playing Miami every week?   You're better than that.

Used

O - BAL, NE

D - PHI, NE

week 3 (well... it’s either facing the Dolphins or the Jets and already used the Pats... )

O - DAL

D - DAL

There will be time to make up ground later.  Or so I keep telling myself.

O:  Dal

D:_ Dal

It’s like the Tour de France...have to keep pace with the peloton and break away at just the right point...

Used

Offense: Detroit, NE

Defense: Baltimore, NE

Week 3:

This is getting boring.  It's like a soccer team trying to tie so they both advance. 

C'mon one of you, change it up a little.  Just going to pick both teams playing Miami every week?   You're better than that.

There will be time to make up ground later.  Or so I keep telling myself.

O:  Dal

D:_ Dal

It’s like the Tour de France...have to keep pace with the peloton and break away at just the right point...
This is boring and for those of us who tried to change it up, totally fruitless already. 

This is boring and for those of us who tried to change it up, totally fruitless already. 
Any change up would have to be carefully thought out.  Banning the team facing Miami will affect players differentially depending on whether they have already used that team or not...

Any change up would have to be carefully thought out.  Banning the team facing Miami will affect players differentially depending on whether they have already used that team or not...
At this point yes.  This contest is going to come down to picking which week to take the Jets, Patriots and Bills, along with which teams to take instead during those 3 weeks. 

Yeah, not a lot of fun just picking against Miami.  But there will surely be some surprise weeks, so I think the OFF/DEF vs Miami every week crowd will surprisingly get bit some week.  

At this point yes.  This contest is going to come down to picking which week to take the Jets, Patriots and Bills, along with which teams to take instead during those 3 weeks. 
It is a weird case.  Every other season there was always the chance that a woebegone team could rise up for one week and upset a favorite.  I recall one week last year where a clear “best choice” left more than half of us in the negatives.

But Miami seems to be on a whole new level of being bad.  Like “can’t even imagine them lutting up a fight” bad,

Park the bus :drive:

-QG

Ya it's taken the fun out of this contest for me.  There's no prize, so just seeing everyone take the same teams every week is boring.  Obviously can't change a rule now, but people using this strategy every week should grow a pair.  Think if the Dallas/Dallas people go Chargers/Chargers next week then I'm gonna duck out and just come back to run the playoff one.

Deamon said:
Ya it's taken the fun out of this contest for me.  There's no prize, so just seeing everyone take the same teams every week is boring.  Obviously can't change a rule now, but people using this strategy every week should grow a pair.  Think if the Dallas/Dallas people go Chargers/Chargers next week then I'm gonna duck out and just come back to run the playoff one.
But if we think that's the best offense/defense combo, why would we pick something different? And if you think it's the best combo, why not pick it?

But if we think that's the best offense/defense combo, why would we pick something different? And if you think it's the best combo, why not pick it?
If there's money on the line, sure.  This is a fun contest that is a lot less fun this year.

Can't blame the individuals. Miami is making a lot of things less fun. I hope their walk away and don't return to supporting the team.

Darius Rucker is really crying now

It's a mess early on - but a lot of that has to also to do with the unfornuate schedule the Dolphins have.

With two against the Jets, one against the Giants, one against my Bengals, one against a hurting Steelers team, one against Washington, and a bye there are plenty of opportunities for some of us to think twice (especially when there are new 'contenders' like the Jets out there).

:boxing:

-QG

Deamon said:
:(

As mentioned last post the layups are all clumped together, but I count 9 weeks at least where it's likely more reasonable to look elsewhere.

(the 9 weeks:  bye, Patriots 2.0, Bills 2.0, Jets, Jets, Giants, Washington, Pittsburgh, Cincy)

-QG

(taking bye against the Jets is tempting I must admit)

I still would propose for next season you can only pick against a team once.  4 lists to track instead of 2 - not the end of the world.

Just think of all the $100 survivor pools where people are going to win $102 at the end of the year :unsure:

-QG

:(

As mentioned last post the layups are all clumped together, but I count 9 weeks at least where it's likely more reasonable to look elsewhere.

(the 9 weeks:  bye, Patriots 2.0, Bills 2.0, Jets, Jets, Giants, Washington, Pittsburgh, Cincy)

-QG
blah blah blah.  You don't go to the horse track and make just-for-fun bets with friends and everyone bet the only horse that has 4 legs.

Used to love this contest but it's boring to me now.  As tempting as it is to take Dallas/Dallas, I just can't.  Take a chance dude, its for fun!

(taking bye against the Jets is tempting I must admit)

I still would propose for next season you can only pick against a team once.  4 lists to track instead of 2 - not the end of the world.

Just think of all the $100 survivor pools where people are going to win $102 at the end of the year :unsure:

-QG
I really think a better way is to not allow the picking of the same team for both offense and defense. Keeps it simple and solves the problem.

Heck, since it’s for fun, we could implement that rule today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm considering avoiding Miami on offense and defense all year just to make it interesting (and I'm already way behind).

Used
O: Sea (21) Cle (23)
D: Phi (27) Cle (3)
+14
Week 3:
O: Philadelphia
D: New England

Edit: Swapped in NE on defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 3 - 20 points YTD

Offense: NEP

DEF: DAL

Week  1 - 0 points     

OFF: TBB - 17
DEF: NYJ -17

Week 2 - 20 Points

OFF: CLE - 23

DEF: CLE - 3

Yeah, not a lot of fun just picking against Miami.  But there will surely be some surprise weeks, so I think the OFF/DEF vs Miami every week crowd will surprisingly get bit some week.  
Well since that strategy has already put them at +92, how big of a bite can they possibly suffer?

Offense

1: Bucs 17

2: Ravens 23

3: Cowboys

Defense

1: Broncos -24

2: Patriots 0

3: Packers

W1 offense - cardinals

W2 offense - browns 

W1 defense - broncos 

W2 defense - browns 

W3 offense - 49ers 

W3 defense - Packers 

+63

Offense Wks 1-2:  New Orleans, New England

Defense Wks 1-2:  Baltimore, New England

Week 3

Offense:  Dallas Cowboys

Defense:  Dallas Cowboys

+28 is better than I deserve for fading the Fins two straight weeks. And yet as an Eagles fan I can't bring myself to pull for a 40-0 Cowboys win. Here's to hoping for some Josh Rosen garbage time, baby.

O : SF, PHI, DAL

D : SEA, CLE, NE

Once again, "playing Miami" was the league's best defense (depending on Monday Night outcomes).  It wasn't the best offense, but it came close, and no one picked a better offense (NO, Car, Min, NYG and KC).  Normally you'd figure KC and NO to get some play in this contest, but KC had a "bad" matchup and NO was starting a backup QB, so I can see it.

Still time for @bro1ncos @by_the_sea_wannabe @Cowboysfan8 @Utter Chaos @valhallan @jdkapow and @scoobus to play using the MNF slate.  It was a strong play last week, maybe it works again?

No one picked a better offense (NO, Car, Min, NYG and KC).  Normally you'd figure KC and NO to get some play in this contest, but KC had a "bad" matchup and NO was starting a backup QB, so I can see it.
I changed my KC offense pick this morning due to weather.  Dumb move.

Miami strategy carries the day, breaking the tie atop the standings as contest ruler QuizGuy66 voluntarily moves away from the play.  Look for some rules changes heading into week 4...

Faust  117
QuizGuy66  103
Riffraff  100
SayWhat?  89
cdwood  88
TheWinz  88
kutta  85
Arodin  79
Dr. Dan  77
Dr. Octopus  73
ZWK  70
Deamon  69