What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

California Passes 'Fair Pay To Play' Act, Allows Student-Athletes To Receive Monies For Business Endeavors (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
California spearheads the movement towards student athletes being able to receive monies for business ventures, their likeness, etc.

Brief Summation

So FFA, what say you?

If too politicky, mods pls move to PSF.

Last edited by a moderator:
The NCAA could adopt the "Olympic Model".  Anything that can push collegiate athletics that way makes some sense.  Billions of dollars are being made, it's just crazy the athletes are just cut out AND have their own earning power restricted.

It's bad enough that judicial decisions regarding antitrust laws have allowed CBAs that prevent eighteen year-olds from working in the professional field of their choice, then to have an organization preventing them from cashing in on the billions -- yes, billions -- that they make various industries is a crime, IMHO.

The NCAA could adopt the "Olympic Model".  Anything that can push collegiate athletics that way makes some sense.  Billions of dollars are being made, it's just crazy the athletes are just cut out AND have their own earning power restricted.
See my post just below.

It's a crime, actually. 

stoopitest thing about our stoopitest institution
Why is higher learning stupid, or is this a theory/practice distincition?

I mean, I'm a product of both heuristics and outside stimulus. I don't see anything wrong with higher learning when done correctly and with an eye on actual learning, not when used as a sleepaway camp. 

What happens when the NCAA rather than the University, determines they are ineligible? Courts, I assume? 
I don't know. California adopts the NAIA model? I'm not that incredibly well-versed regarding the fallout of this; in fact, I just saw it as news and was a little taken aback. South Carolina has introduced legislation to do the same. Sounds like dominoes are falling. 

Why is higher learning stupid, or is this a theory/practice distincition?
too big to change. mind you, i never even applied to an institute of higher learning, took my SATs on acid and, by visiting friends and touring colleges w rock bands, came to understand that the most usable skill most people learn in college is sleeping 2 to a dorm bed. if it wasnt for school ties, school teams, tradition & tenure, 75% of our universities would have been closed by digital by now and good writtance.

Sounds like dominoes are falling. 
Absolutely.  The NCAA is that car that passed you on the highway going 100...and the police just pulled out and flipped on their lights.  Soon enough that car will be pulled over.

To strain this analogy even more - right now it looks like the NCAA is still contemplating making a run for it.  It may work for a while, but we all know they can't run from this forever.

I am definitely for college players being able to make money off their likeness and marketing abilities.  They should get paid for that.  I am NOT for colleges paying athletes though.

I am definitely for college players being able to make money off their likeness and marketing abilities.  They should get paid for that.  I am NOT for colleges paying athletes though.
This is kinda where I am, though ideally all sports would have minor leagues independent of institutions of higher learning. Separate the sporting business from education completely.

This is kinda where I am, though ideally all sports would have minor leagues independent of institutions of higher learning. Separate the sporting business from education completely.
I do think there is some value in combining them, since some sports can help fun campus needs, if done right.  Plus getting higher ed isn't a bad thing for athletes, but why not let them actually major in their sport if they want to? But MLB exists with a minor league system and I am sure the others could too.  Problem is they have a free farm system with college players so why pay for your own?

Want to major in football?  Your class list: 
How to read and learn a playbook
How to interview an agent
How money works and how to invest (although this should be required in all majors and probably in HS)
Learn the laws of the game
Marketing and Branding
Social Media 101
What to do after you retire?
(how to design a playbook, Broadcasting, Coaching, etc)

I do think there is some value in combining them, since some sports can help fun campus needs, if done right.  Plus getting higher ed isn't a bad thing for athletes, but why not let them actually major in their sport if they want to? But MLB exists with a minor league system and I am sure the others could too.  Problem is they have a free farm system with college players so why pay for your own?

Want to major in football?  Your class list: 
How to read and learn a playbook
How to interview an agent
How money works and how to invest (although this should be required in all majors and probably in HS)
Learn the laws of the game
Marketing and Branding
Social Media 101
What to do after you retire?
(how to design a playbook, Broadcasting, Coaching, etc)
Interesting concept, but I still think fundamentally they should be kept separate. Athletics already have too much financial influence in some universities, and only a small percentage of kids will have the talent to make their sport “degree” worth it.

Then you need the pro leagues to eliminate barriers to entry for people of legal working age.

Bout dang time.  This could be good for both players and the NCAA.  When players are doing commercials, autograph signings, etc......its free advertising for the NCAA.  

I imagine there will be some rules to go along with it, to keep from idiots making everyone look bad by doing super stupid stuff.  

A bill similar to California's is reportedly (well, twitter rumor) being prepared for introduction into the New York state legislature. @Yankee23Fan

If enough blue states make this happen legislatively, it will render the NCAA's position untenable.

Edit: not a rumor.

Interesting concept, but I still think fundamentally they should be kept separate. Athletics already have too much financial influence in some universities, and only a small percentage of kids will have the talent to make their sport “degree” worth it.
I agree, only a small percentage have the talent to go on to the pros in their given sport.  But how many grads actually use their degree after college regardless? I have a college degree that has nothing to do with any job I've ever had.

College is supposed to be where they prepare you for what you want to do when you grow up.  I just don't see why those that choose pro ball as their career can't major in it as well.  And true not everyone should major in their sport, esp if you are marginal and may not have a future in it.  Or maybe you major in it as a means to be an agent or coach instead?  

Then you need the pro leagues to eliminate barriers to entry for people of legal working age.
For most I agree, for the NFL I am not sure an 18 year old can physically handle it.  Some maybe, most doubtful.  

I would propose that there are some that could go from HS to the pros in all sports.  I would think those that could should be allowed to.  IF you decide to go to college, you are there until you graduate.  No 1 and done like the NBA.  I also think if you declare out of HS, you don't lose eligibility until after a year or two so if you fail (or don't get drafted) you can go back to college.  Might not work logistically, but I'm sure those smarter then I am can figure it out.  They won't since college sports is big $$ and a free developmental league for the pros.

Nice.

In regard to what is edited out of your quote (I did so for brevity) what is the significance of a Blue State if So. Carolina is drafting similar legislation?
I could be all wrong about this but I believe college sports are generally a bigger deal in red states, some of whom (Alabama?) have gone so far as to have imposed criminal penalties for violating NCAA rules. Specifically, South Carolina is a state where Dabo is king and his curious blend of prosperity gospel and authority over his players is not only excused but celebrated -- it's difficult to see his supporters not holding sway if this issue ever reaches serious consideration there.

Observers have noted a slow but steady divide in the value of sports in general between blue states and red states. High school football participation, for example, is on a downward national trend, fueled mostly by a drop in interest in blue states. In some of the southern red states, participation is actually increasing.

I know there has also been noise in North Carolina about legislating increased rights for college athletes but I still think this issue is going to be driven mostly by blue states. There are generally more traditionalists in red states and the resistance is almost entirely traditionalist in nature.

I could be all wrong about this but I believe college sports are generally a bigger deal in red states, some of whom (Alabama?) have gone so far as to have imposed criminal penalties for violating NCAA rules. Specifically, South Carolina is a state where Dabo is king and his curious blend of prosperity gospel and authority over his players is not only excused but celebrated -- it's difficult to see his supporters not holding sway if this issue ever reaches serious consideration there.

Observers have noted a slow but steady divide in the value of sports in general between blue states and red states. High school football participation, for example, is on a downward national trend, fueled mostly by a drop in interest in blue states. In some of the southern red states, participation is actually increasing.

I know there has also been noise in North Carolina about legislating increased rights for college athletes but I still think this issue is going to be driven mostly by blue states. There are generally more traditionalists in red states and the resistance is almost entirely traditionalist in nature.
I pretty much agree with you and some of the distinctions you're making, but I'd rebut gently that California is a huge, huge state for collegiate sports. You can't throw a rock out here without hitting some sort of college field or training facility it seems.

Anyway, IP law and labor law also have a ton to do with this, IMHO, and in furthering your distinction, blue states generally have more generous IP protections about Rights Of Publicity (using people's voices and faces and likenesses without compensation) laws and are more sympathetic to labor complaints from individuals otherwise exploited (that's too harsh a word and not really the one I'm looking for, but one might get my gist...)

too big to change. mind you, i never even applied to an institute of higher learning, took my SATs on acid and, by visiting friends and touring colleges w rock bands, came to understand that the most usable skill most people learn in college is sleeping 2 to a dorm bed. if it wasnt for school ties, school teams, tradition & tenure, 75% of our universities would have been closed by digital by now and good writtance.
The main thing I learned in college was my Social Security number.  I memorized the hell out of that.  In fact, I still remember it.

I agree, only a small percentage have the talent to go on to the pros in their given sport.  But how many grads actually use their degree after college regardless? I have a college degree that has nothing to do with any job I've ever had.

College is supposed to be where they prepare you for what you want to do when you grow up.  I just don't see why those that choose pro ball as their career can't major in it as well.  And true not everyone should major in their sport, esp if you are marginal and may not have a future in it.  Or maybe you major in it as a means to be an agent or coach instead?  
The existence of useless degrees isn’t great justification for creating others. I don’t think football/baseball/etc. should be degrees because they don’t have enough academic merit, and the sports create a revenue stream which has undue influence on many universities. But if you really want all those sporting degrees, perhaps minor leagues could function more like trade schools instead?

Also, there are many useful college degrees, just far too many people choose impractical/unmarketable majors. But I agree with Wikkid that much of the system is obsolete, as most learning can/should be accomplished online. 

The existence of useless degrees isn’t great justification for creating others. I don’t think football/baseball/etc. should be degrees because they don’t have enough academic merit, and the sports create a revenue stream which has undue influence on many universities. But if you really want all those sporting degrees, perhaps minor leagues could function more like trade schools instead?
I never said the degrees were useless.  Like any degree some will use them, some won't.  But forcing someone who wants to be an engineer to take History of Prisons seems to be similar to a student athlete taking Social Science classes.  But for some, who actually have a true chance at going pro, why not offer classes that will help them?  Just like an Engineer will need certain classes to become one.

MLB has a minor league system.   It works overall I think. Not sure if the NBA D or Summer leagues operate that way.   I have even thought why not have a minor league for the NFL?  18-24 year olds only?  You could even look at soccer's academy system oversees as a way to put it together.  If separating sports from college is the way to go. 

Portal is going to be red hot with transfers to bigger paydays. 

Hey "name of athlete" come to "xyz" university next year we have some big time donors who would like to have your autograph or work at their business for $$$.   See ya soon! 

Portal is going to be red hot with transfers to bigger paydays. 

Hey "name of athlete" come to "xyz" university next year we have some big time donors who would like to have your autograph or work at their business for $$$.   See ya soon! 
That already happens.

One option is the way it’s done in the entire rest of the world outside the US. Play professional sports at a sports club, learn stuff at a school. No need to combine the two. Universities can still have intramural and club sports, as they do now, which address the sports needs of 99% of the students. Elite athletes, who for the most part aren’t there to get a degree anyway, can give up the charade and focus on their craft full time at a professional sports club.

Whats the marketability of a college athlete that can only compete against other CA schools?   Would the whole team be punished or would the athlete just have to sit out most games?

I never said the degrees were useless.  Like any degree some will use them, some won't.  But forcing someone who wants to be an engineer to take History of Prisons seems to be similar to a student athlete taking Social Science classes.  But for some, who actually have a true chance at going pro, why not offer classes that will help them?  Just like an Engineer will need certain classes to become one.

MLB has a minor league system.   It works overall I think. Not sure if the NBA D or Summer leagues operate that way.   I have even thought why not have a minor league for the NFL?  18-24 year olds only?  You could even look at soccer's academy system oversees as a way to put it together.  If separating sports from college is the way to go. 
I just think too few have a legitimate shot at becoming pro to create new degrees and curricula. Moreover, I don’t believe athletic $ should be driving fiscal decisions at institutes of higher learning.

One option is the way it’s done in the entire rest of the world outside the US. Play professional sports at a sports club, learn stuff at a school. No need to combine the two. Universities can still have intramural and club sports, as they do now, which address the sports needs of 99% of the students. Elite athletes, who for the most part aren’t there to get a degree anyway, can give up the charade and focus on their craft full time at a professional sports club.
Agree 100%

They are already not students for the most part (there are exceptions, some schools are more stringent, some players actually learn stuff etc.). The NCAA is just overly attached to the term "Student Athletes" because that is their entire justification for not having to pay them. There are countless instances of classes for NCAA athletes that do anything from handing out free passing grades to outright fake classes that do not actually exist. There are also numerous instances of players barely being able to read, even though they have a supposed college education (or at least partial education). The whole thing is such a blatant and obvious racket, where the NCAA, schools, and coaches all gets tons of money (in almost every state, the highest paid public employee is a college basketball or football coach), but the players who are necessary for it to succeed are forbidden. Think of how profitable all companies could be if you did not have to pay your workers. This whole charade is not for the purity of college sports, it is for increased profits at the top. 

I could not find a direct link to this picture, but I feel like this captures it well (a few posts from the top, I have no affilation with this website, just came up on google images):

https://syracusefan.com/threads/a-3-1-gpa-gets-you-a.62558/

You are telling me this is the best scholar athlete they could find in the SEC? Is that even a real major? Not to to mention the sub B GPA.

In what appears to be designed to head off Title IX implications, the New York bill has wording that requires schools to distribute 15% of all athletic revenues in equal increments to all of the school's athletes. What were Syracuse's sports revenues last year? Let's do math.

edit: Found it. Cuse reported around $90 million last year. 15% of that is $13.5 million, divided by maybe 800 athletes = $16,875 per athlete. And the Orange ( :lmao: ) would have to get by on $76.5 million to run the programs. Of course, boosters could kick in on some better players.

It’s completely mind boggling to think a college athlete could walk past a campus bookstore and see athletic gear for sale that has his own name and number, pictures of him playing on a calendar or yearbook for sale, direct use of his own personal image profiting from his hard work and he gets nothing for it. Meanwhile, he’s told he cannot sell his own massively valuable image for personal gain, that value is completely reserved for the ncaa. For most athletes, this is the time in their lives where their image value is at its absolute peak, and he gets nothing for it.  At the same time - oh, your coach left school and your personal situation has dramatically changed and you want to go play somewhere else? OK, you have to sit out for an entire year. At the peak of your career, the time in your life where it’s absolutely crucial you are out there playing and competing for no compensation, we have the power to prohibit you from playing and destroy your career just to protect our schools from competition.  I can’t believe we accept that this exists. 

Hey, but at least we serve the important function of maintaining the integrity and purity of amateur college sports, right? It’s not like our institutions are massively corrupt and have constant ongoing scandals ranging from shocking sexual predators being coddled and fed to blatant, fraud, graft, greed, bribery, nepotism, discrimination and openly obvious corruption from top to bottom. 

The other states better follow soon or else some super power houses are going to emerge......well, DIFFERENT powerhouses anyway.

This is the way it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread