What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WWYD: You are in a parking lot. You back into someone, no witnesses and no damage to your car... (1 Viewer)

Worm

slimy ninja
Just curious what the general FBG population would do.

You are in a parking lot in an angled parking space. There is a giant ### truck sticking out way further than it should. You are backing up using your rear camera because you can't see around the truck and the camera gives you a little bit of a view of oncoming traffic. You turn too quick and back into the back corner of the truck. You get out and there is no/minimal damage to your car. The rear quarter panel of the truck is crunched. The owner of the truck is no where to be found. There are no witnesses.

Do you leave a note with your info or do you drive away?

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly similar situation, although not as much damage to the truck.  I left a note.  The lady called me 15 minutes later and said not to worry about it and to have a nice day.

Edited to add - Not leaving a note is a d1ck move and anyone that doesn't own their mistake should be shunned.

The situation had me curious whether it's just a given to leave a note and if not what percentage of people would/wouldn't.
It's a given to leave a note, yes. Some percentage of people will not, though. Not sure if that's 1%, 50%, or somewhere in between.

Your terminology ... "rear quarter panel crunched". You're aiming to mean that there's no doubt the quarter panel has to be replaced, right? This is not a Fix-A-Dent $99 kind of thing, correct?

A LOT of people will leave "keyed car" looking scrapes or shallow hard-to-see-from-certain-angles dents, etc. without dropping a note. Again, unsure of percentage.

It's a given to leave a note, yes. Some percentage of people will not, though. Not sure if that's 1%, 50%, or somewhere in between.

Your terminology ... "rear quarter panel crunched". You're aiming to mean that there's no doubt the quarter panel has to be replaced, right? This is not a Fix-A-Dent $99 kind of thing, correct?

A LOT of people will leave "keyed car" looking scrapes or shallow hard-to-see-from-certain-angles dents, etc. without dropping a note. Again, unsure of percentage.
Yeah. Crunched.

Id leave a note because Ive had this happened to me and it freaking sucks. As a matter of fact, I did back into a car once and left a note but the owner never contacted me.

I'd leave a note.

Now that I'm thinking of it. It would be tempting to carry a couple business cards from someone at work that I don't like and leave that.

Been there, done that.  Left a note and it only cost me $100 out of pocket to pay for the touch up as the owner was also not a d!ck.

You are in a parking lot in an angled parking space. There is a giant ### truck sticking out way further than it should. You are backing up using your rear camera because you can't see around the truck and the camera gives you a little bit of a view of oncoming traffic. You turn too quick and back into the back corner of the truck. You get out and there is no/minimal damage to your car. The rear quarter panel of the truck is crunched. The owner of the truck is no where to be found. There are no witnesses.

Leave a note.  That’s why I have insurance. My screw up, my job to get it fixed. 

Of course you leave a note or track down the person some other way....

If you hit another car causing damage and leave, you are a dooshnozzle.  And isn't that against the law?

In this day and age, how do you know you are not being watched.  A better than average chance it is being recorded.
This isn't wrong (although a lot of security cameras don't actually store/save the footage). 

The situation had me curious whether it's just a given to leave a note and if not what percentage of people would/wouldn't.
You'd probably have an easier time tabulating the scores if you had a pole.

To answer your question, if I "crunched" his car, I'd leave a note.  OTOH, the other week I let a Lowes flat cart drift into the truck I parked beside.  It didn't leave a dent but scuffed the paint a bit.  Since I determined it was an easy buff job, I decided no note was necessary.  Yes, I realize I'm going to hell.   

1.  I'd give up driving, since even with a backup camera I've failed.   Uber from now on.

2.  Leave a note, because even though I'm a terrible driver, I'm not a ####.

16 years old, maybe a week after i got my license.  backing out of a parking spot but cut the wheel too early and scraped the bumper of the car next to me.

panicked and thought i was going to get a huge ticket or something so i started to drive off when parking lot security came charging at me, pointing a flashlight (off, cause it was daytime) that i thought was a gun or mace at first, yelling at me to turn the car off.

being 16 and alone i had no idea wtf so i listened to the guy, got out and waited 30 minutes for the driver to come back. they never did. guy told me to write a note and stick it under the wipers. so i did. included my name, phone# and address :(  

didn't hear anything for about a week until i got a letter in the mail from someone i didn't recognize. it was from the guy who's shiny, clean, new Cadillac i had clipped. nice handwritten note about how i did the right thing & demonstrated good character for a young man my age (assuming the security guard told him). the damage was minimal and easily repaired, he said. no need to fret. good luck in school and remember to always do the right thing.

always stuck with me.. so now when i hit someone and peel out without a note i feel a little bad but i can't afford the insurance hike.

Leave a note

"Dear Mr. Truck Owner,

I am writing this note in case anyone witnessed me back into your car.  I am guessing that if someone is watching me at this moment they are thinking I am leaving my insurance and information while I look through my wallet and pull out random cards.  Have a nice day!"  

I was on travel and had the wind blow the car door out of my hand as I was opening ot and dented the car next me pretty bad. I went inside the office building and after about an hour and talking to many people I didn't know, found the owner to exchange info

Of course you leave a note. I’ve done it and paid my dues. Someone else once hit my rental vehicle and did the same. Problem is, they refused to pay the “loss of use” fee from the rental company, which was well over $1K. As it turns out, few insurers or credit card companies cover this charge. Lesson learned.

FWIW I left a note. It was so dumb and I still can't believe I did it. I just had a billion things on my mind and was heading to a big meeting.

My rear bumper did get scraped up a little and will probably need to be repainted. I felt really terrible for the other guy but it turns out the truck was a rental so I felt less bad after.

Also it happened on my birthday so that was poop.

You leave a note.  Period. Treat others like you would like to be treated yourself.  Secondly--hit and run is a crime.  Thirdly--in this day and age--there is no way to guarantee that the act wasn't witnessed or caught on camera.   

FWIW I left a note. It was so dumb and I still can't believe I did it. I just had a billion things on my mind and was heading to a big meeting.

My rear bumper did get scraped up a little and will probably need to be repainted. I felt really terrible for the other guy but it turns out the truck was a rental so I felt less bad after.

Also it happened on my birthday so that was poop.
Might as well just sell it and get a Tesla at this point.

I've had it done to me twice in the last few years - so I would leave a real note with my real phone number.

It's a ####ty thing to do to someone - had to pay the insurance minimum both times to fix my car.  

Bad karma.  

Actually, I backed in to a car backing out of a driveway not all that long ago. I called the cops and reported it. Cop showed up, took my info, and admitted he was totally stunned I called and stuck around. Had to leave a note as they weren't there. He cleared me off. Owner of car called and thanked me for my honesty. Insurance picked up the bill. Apparently I went overboard.

I thought the question was going to include "no damage to the other vehicle" too in order for it to be in any way up for debate.

I've done it before and left a note.  I photographed the car because it was parked illegally and not in an actual spot.  Girl called me later, didn't give a #### about her call, was ecstatic that someone had enough honesty to leave a note.  

I did this the day my granddaughter was born 4.5 years ago in the hospital parking lot.

We got to the hospital at 7pm.  Kid was born at 4 30am.  On two hours sleep the next day, I had an early 8am closing with a client, and then toured 5 homes with another client , wrote an offer at noon, wrote another offer an hour later, had both accepted with many back and forth calls by 7pm.  

I was dead, but I hadn't seen my first grand daughter yet and visiting was done at 8pm.  So I raced to the hospital and was able to see her for 45 minutes.  

When I left, I pulled back out and I thought I tapped a caddy on its rear bumper.  I was so tired, I wasn't sure.  

I used my camera light and didnt see any damage to either car.  

So I left and went home.  

At midnight, totally out of it in a deep sleep, wifey wakes me up and there are two cops in my living room.  They start drilling me with all these questions about having me on camera hitting the car.  Of course,  wife is freaking out and thinks I'm going to jail and pissed that I totaled the other car and didn't tell anyone.  

I actually asked for a time out with the cops so I could get my bearings straight.  Lol.  Head was spinning from all the questions. 

Wound up getting the story straight with them, called my insurance guy in the morning.   Claim filed against me by the other car.   And I never heard word about it.   Asked my agent  a year later and he said the other party must have dropped it.  

:bag:

Users who are viewing this thread