What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you wear a bike helmet? (1 Viewer)

Do you wear a bike helmet?

• Yes

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 38 46.9%

• Total voters

xulf

Footballguy
Preferably answer for when you are biking, but feel free to include times when you are just relaxing around the house.

ETA - asking based off the lunatics who are not wearing eye gear when mowing the lawn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't, but then again I don't ride often and when I do it is generally just around the neighborhood with the family.  I do make my kids wear them though.  If I was a regular rider I probably would get one.

Preferably answer for when you are biking, but feel free to include times when you are just relaxing around the house.

ETA - asking based off the lunatics who are not wearing eye gear when mowing the lawn.
On a side note been mowing the lawn for 35 plus years and have never once been hit anywhere near the face with any sort of debris while mowing.  What kind of mower do you use?  Weed wacking is a completely different story get hit all the time.

I made a promise to my mother when I was in college that I would always wear one.  She said, "I've paid too much for the damn brain of yours to see it ruined in a bike accident."

I couldn't really argue with that logic.

I always wear a bike helmet when riding, even for short trips.  Even with lots more bike lanes now, city riding can still be hazardous.

One story though.  Shortly after Mrs. Eephus and I were married, we were wakened by an earthquake.  It was a pretty good one and long enough for us to get out of bed and head for the nearest doorway.  For some reason, my sleepy brain told me to grab my helmet along the way so I'm standing there in the nude wearing only a bike helmet.  Once we got over the fright, she laughed at me for about ten minutes.

I always wear a bike helmet when riding, even for short trips.  Even with lots more bike lanes now, city riding can still be hazardous.

One story though.  Shortly after Mrs. Eephus and I were married, we were wakened by an earthquake.  It was a pretty good one and long enough for us to get out of bed and head for the nearest doorway.  For some reason, my sleepy brain told me to grab my helmet along the way so I'm standing there in the nude wearing only a bike helmet.  Once we got over the fright, she laughed at me for about ten minutes.
We kept our girls bike helmets in our "safe place" (for Tornado/bad weather) and made them wear them while encased in a couch pillow fort.

Always.  I've known two people who got traumatic brain injuries due to bike accidents with no helmets.  Wearing a helmet would've saved them and their loved ones a lot of anguish.

Always.

I've had three bad bike wrecks, twice getting doored. My helmet is scarred and scraped...would've been my noggin instead. I did get a bad concussion on the worst of them, not something a helmets going to  protect.

I love the people who ride with their helmets hanging on their handle bars or bag. Able to quickly throw it on when the bike goes down. Or not.

Your most valuable resource is your head.  Plz to be protect when riding.  

Always.

I've had three bad bike wrecks, twice getting doored. My helmet is scarred and scraped...would've been my noggin instead. I did get a bad concussion on the worst of them, not something a helmets going to  protect.

I love the people who ride with their helmets hanging on their handle bars or bag. Able to quickly throw it on when the bike goes down. Or not.
Please get a new helmet.  They're designed to be good for *one incident*.  Also the plastics/foams degrade over time and moreso w UV/sunlight exposure.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Always, even when I am not mountain biking but just casual riding. Seen (and been in) too many wrecks and heard too many horror stories.

I don't, but then again I don't ride often and when I do it is generally just around the neighborhood with the family.  I do make my kids wear them though.  If I was a regular rider I probably would get one.
This.  I think I have one somewhere in our garage and I very rarely ride.

I ride about 2,000 miles a year and wouldn't go without.
:goodposting: Recently started riding for cardio and it's taking your life in your own hands where I live. I usually only ride during early morning hours 4:30 am to avoid traffic as much as possible. Wouldn't ride the roads around here without one. Where it on the trails as well.

I wear a bike helmet. I do not ride a bike.
You...I wanna party with you :suds:

It's 2019.  Of course.  We know better now and there's no reason not to, you don't even have to worry about looking like a geek with it anymore.

I always cringe when I see people out on the ski slopes without a helmet too.

Please get a new helmet.  They're designed to be good for *one incident*.  Also the plastics/foams degrade over time and moreso w UV/sunlight exposure.  
Yep. I replace them. New one hasn't taken a hit yet...knock on wooden head.

Eta...ah- I miswrote is for was.

It's 2019.  Of course.  We know better now and there's no reason not to, you don't even have to worry about looking like a geek with it anymore.

I always cringe when I see people out on the ski slopes without a helmet too.
Except studies show injuries dont decrease where helmets are mandatory. 

Even if you disagree with those studies, statistically you would be better off wearing a helmet when driving than when cycling  

Except studies show injuries dont decrease where helmets are mandatory. 
Where helmets were mandatory or where helmets were worn?

Asking because I don't know the answer.  This thread is about whether or not you wear one, not whether or not you think it should be a law that you have to.

I rarely ride a bike, but don't wear a helmet when I do.  Usually just a short jaunt about the neighborhood.  I don't make my kids, but my daughter almost always has hers on and my son doesn't ride a lot.

Where helmets were mandatory or where helmets were worn?

Asking because I don't know the answer.  This thread is about whether or not you wear one, not whether or not you think it should be a law that you have to.
People wearing helmets are less likely to incur a serious injury during any given incident but are more likely to be involved in an incident. 

Also read a study where drivers give riders without a helmet more room when they are passing

People wearing helmets are less likely to incur a serious injury during any given incident but are more likely to be involved in an incident. 
Wearing a bike helmet is important for safety, especially for kids, but it often seems to me many riders throw a helmet on and think its some sort of magical protection shield.  I've been saved from head injury by my helmet many times over the years, especially back when I did a ton of trail riding and frequently went over the bars.  That said, for normal urban cycling, wearing a helmet is probably not even in the top 10 of most important safety steps cyclists should take.  If you ride in the evening or at night with no lighting or reflective clothing, a helmet is not going to help you.  If you ride on sidewalks, don't signal, ignore basic traffic safety and common sense, a helmet is not going to help you.  By the same token, if you are riding a crushed gravel off-road trail for 3 days, as me and my family did last month, a helmet is truly unnecessary and can safely be left at home.

It occurs to me that my response to this was a bit flippant based on my location and experience. I do the majority of my riding on the beach or on designated bike paths.  Not in a major city or on roads. And I'm 45 so I grew up riding in the country and never even saw a bike helmet until I moved to the big City as a teenager.  That was the start of when all the little kids wore them.  But if I'm on a bike in a major City I think I would wear one.

CletiusMaximus said:
Wearing a bike helmet is important for safety, especially for kids, but it often seems to me many riders throw a helmet on and think its some sort of magical protection shield..
They do?  
I've never seen someone go reckless just because they are wearing a helmet. 

Wearing a helmet improves your chances but cyclists are still very vulnerable.  They'll lose in a collision with most other vehicles and won't win many versus stationary objects.

It's amazing how much road rash and bruising you can get from even a low speed spill off a bike.  Now imagine that's your head.

110%.  And I always wear one.  I was VERY lucky to have been wearing a Rudy Project helmet when a guy ran a stop sign and took me out.  Rudy Project sends you a new helmet (at least they did for me) if you send the crashed helmet back for research.  My forehead was the first thing to hit and the helmet also kept the tire from rolling on to my noggin as we both stopped.  Not even an concussion, just a jacked chin and other gross crap too from rash, etc.  

They do?  
I've never seen someone go reckless just because they are wearing a helmet. 
I’m not saying people go reckless, but how often do you see a kid wearing a helmet that’s two sizes too small, or with the chin strap hanging down below their neck and the helmet barely staying on the back of their head? Their parents are doing the right thing by making them wear a helmet, but it’s completely useless.  Commuters wearing a helmet on their way home in the dark who are almost completely invisible from 10 feet away? The emphasis on helmets is so strong, I think people use it as a proxy for much more important bike safety practices. 

I’m not saying people go reckless, but how often do you see a kid wearing a helmet that’s two sizes too small, or with the chin strap hanging down below their neck and the helmet barely staying on the back of their head? Their parents are doing the right thing by making them wear a helmet, but it’s completely useless.  Commuters wearing a helmet on their way home in the dark who are almost completely invisible from 10 feet away? The emphasis on helmets is so strong, I think people use it as a proxy for much more important bike safety practices. 
True. But none of that is a reason to not wear a helmet...which everyone should.

I don't ride my bike much anymore but only ever wore one for trail riding. When I do ride, it's on nice wide concrete bike paths. Could I fall and suffer a traumatic brain injury? Sure. I could also trip on a rug or dog in my house and knock myself out on a table or counter edge but I don't wear a helmet around my house either. Life is risk and I understand wanting to minimize it where you can, but really it's such a small risk that I just don't care. My daily commute is more dangerous.

I don't ride my bike much anymore but only ever wore one for trail riding. When I do ride, it's on nice wide concrete bike paths. Could I fall and suffer a traumatic brain injury? Sure. I could also trip on a rug or dog in my house and knock myself out on a table or counter edge but I don't wear a helmet around my house either. Life is risk and I understand wanting to minimize it where you can, but really it's such a small risk that I just don't care. My daily commute is more dangerous.
If I rode around at walking speed, where the falls would be equivalent, I'd agree with you. I don't, so I dont.

Yeah, it would be pretty stupid for anyone to think any of this is a reason not to wear a helmet. 
I mentioned it up thread, but on my bike commute home tonight I saw another grown adult human type person riding their bike with the helmet dangling off the handle bars...just in reach for their head to duck into when the put the bike down.

CletiusMaximus said:
did a ton of trail riding and frequently went over the bars
:hifive: same. was wearing a helmet. nothing like traversing huge elevation drops on a deep trail. or finally making it up a steep incline for the first time when you're finally strong enough to do so. The event that sold me on bike helmets was encountering what I can only describe as a pothole, concealed with high grass, just off the side of a very solid, compact dirt trail. My front tire caught it perfectly and stuck. I don't remember flying over, but I remember getting up and moving my #### to the side - as I had landed on the other side of a blind corner and needed to avoid getting potentially ran over. It gave me a headache, but what really sold me was the subsequent nausea. I'd never associated the two before - head trauma and nausea - and can't imagine how much worse off I could have been sans helmet. Especially being alone in a remote location. Don't get me wrong - I'd prefer sky burial when the time comes, and that's hopefully what would've happened, inadvertently. But that wasn't the time. It wasn't my time, Cletus.

And if I rode around like a bat out of hell, I'd agree with you. I don't, so I don't. :shrug:
You get my point though...right? Running full speed and falling down, hitting your head is likely worse than just keeling over and hitimg it. Full sprint is still slower than tooling around biking speed...plus like driving, I'm not worried about me messing up- it's all rest of the chuckle heads that are going to make me crash.

But I say this out of clarity-sake...genuinely not caring about proseltyzing non helmet people. 

You get my point though...right? Running full speed and falling down, hitting your head is likely worse than just keeling over and hitimg it. Full sprint is still slower than tooling around biking speed...plus like driving, I'm not worried about me messing up- it's all rest of the chuckle heads that are going to make me crash.

But I say this out of clarity-sake...genuinely not caring about proseltyzing non helmet people. 
Yeah, absolutely. If you ride a bike aggressively or in areas with a lot of traffic, you should wear a helmet. I guess I was just kinda pushing back on the "if you don't wear a helmet, you're taking your life in your own hands" talk.

Users who are viewing this thread