What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Trudeau can’t remember how many times he’s worn blackface. (1 Viewer)

In a previous thread a poster claimed the whole white race is to blame and needs to own it.  I guess it is tough to follow.  If a white persons family say from France came to the USA in the 30s or 40s they need to bear the burden, but if the same family had moved to Canada they do not? Even though in both cases they had nothing to do with history of 200 years ago.
I think we as a nation bear the burdens of slavery.  Every one of us.  People of color bear them differently than us white people.

Until the last decade or so I don’t think anyone envisioned Trudeau as PM. Wasn’t he known as kind of a Don Jr even though his dad was wildly popular and successful as PM?
Wildly popular in eastern Canada.  Most detested PM in Canadian history out west.  

But your analysis of Justin is spot on.  

Just curious... I wore blackface (more of a light brown though) around 1984-85. In 8th grade we did a biographical history project where we had to dress up as our subject. I was a saxophone player in band, and I was really getting into Charlie Parker at the time. I'm not necessarily proud of it, but we were supposed to dress in character and perform in class.  Was that racist? 
Blackface is one of those things where social norms have changed.  If somebody appeared in blackface in their 1965 college yearbook, whatever, different era.  The 1980s seemed to me to be around the time that people were changing their views on this one.  By 2001, everybody knew or should have known that blackface was off-limits.

I'm actually open to the argument that blackface shouldn't be considered racist and that the current norm is wrong.  But the norm is what it is, and a person who flagrantly violates it knows that he's giving gratuitous offense. 

Edit: Also, as John Blutarsky noted, we rightly judge kids differently than we do grown adults.  

Last edited by a moderator:
And you won't because it depends upon context. There is no magic timeline formula.

Blackface is one of those things where social norms have changed.  If somebody appeared in blackface in their 1965 college yearbook, whatever, different era.  The 1980s seemed to me to be around the time that people were changing their views on this one.  By 2001, everybody knew or should have known that blackface was off-limits.

I'm actually open to the argument that blackface shouldn't be considered racist and that the current norm is wrong.  But the norm is what it is, and a person who flagrantly violates it knows that he's giving gratuitous offense. 

Edit: Also, as John Blutarsky noted, we rightly judge kids differently than we do grown adults.  

This is a poor analogy.  Wearing blackface is racist.  Dressing up like a car-wrecked Princess Diana is merely tasteless.  Those are not remotely comparable.
the analogy for me wasn't the comparison of the act but the comparison of the response.

Context also matters.  I am much more inclined to forgive Trudeau than I am someone like Gov Northam even if blackface was considered more acceptable in the early 80's than it is now.

We can certainly forgive people over time,  but it’s always been racist, always. From the beginnings of the minstrel movement black leaders such as Frederick Douglass , even Before Dubois, wrote  long articles complaining how demeaning it was for whites to put on black cork and imitate  black singers. (Douglass ought to meet with Trump and discuss this.) 

We can certainly forgive people over time,  but it’s always been racist, always. From the beginnings of the minstrel movement black leaders such as Frederick Douglass , even Before Dubois, wrote  long articles complaining how demeaning it was for whites to put on black cork and imitate  black singers. (Douglass ought to meet with Trump and discuss this.) 
:lmao:

Explain Ishtar!
1988, Business Class on an 8-hour Cathay Pacific flight.  My first wine drunk and I watched Ishtar.  Top-5 all-time, imo.

ETA: I smoked a half-pack of Marlboro Lights, and my buddy sitting next to me went through a few barf bags.  I did not believe him when he said that cigarette smoke made him sick.  Sorry, dude.

Are Canadians just as upset about this, or just us Americans?  Honest question - they don't have nearly the slavery history that we do here, or that pesky part of our past known as the Civil War.
I would say more Canadians (that I know, anyway) are more upset with his hypocrisy than anything else.

He's always carried a bit of a holier than thou attitude when it comes to his "inclusiveness".   I.e. correcting someone who said "mankind" with "peoplekind", and calling himself a feminist, etc.   Really cringe-worthy stuff.  Anyways, knowing now that he had this kind of thing hidden in his closet the whole time is a bad look.

He's clearly not a racist and likely just had a tacky/misguided sense of what constitutes as socially acceptable over-enthusiasm.   An ignorant cornball, if you will.

IvanKaramazov said:

I disagree that people started changing their views in the 1980s.

Ted Danson did it in 1993, and while it caused ripples in the tabloids for a while, it had no lasting impact on his career.

Perhaps things would have gone differently for him if he had done it in 2001, but I doubt it.

Let's not go off the deep end here, people. Soul Man was a terrific movie.

Make whatever point you want about the Canadian politician guy, but leave Rae Dawn Chong's single best performance out of it.

That is all.
Wrong. She sucked in that movie. 

She was far better in Quest for Fire when all she was required to do was grunt and demonstrate different ways of sexual intercourse. 

timschochet said:
As far as I'm concerned, there is a distinction between "minstrel blackface" and "wearing makeup as a tribute to a specific person". The latter is usually justifiable while the former is usually not.

There's also a distinction between blackface that is meant to exaggerate negative stereotypes (i.e., the 1800s minstrel shows) and blackface that is meant to satirize those same stereotypes (i.e., "Tropic Thunder").

I'm not really sure where Trudeau fits in that range, although my gut tells me that his intent was a little too close to the "minstrel" side of things.

jonessed said:
I just think he should be honest about it and own it.  He made a mistake and knew better.  Stop using “privilege” as an excuse or a deflection.
He's fully "woke". He checked the box. Story closed.

As far as I'm concerned, there is a distinction between "minstrel blackface" and "wearing makeup as a tribute to a specific person". The latter is usually justifiable while the former is usually not.

There's also a distinction between blackface that is meant to exaggerate negative stereotypes (i.e., the 1800s minstrel shows) and blackface that is meant to satirize those same stereotypes (i.e., "Tropic Thunder").

I'm not really sure where Trudeau fits in that range, although my gut tells me that his intent was a little too close to the "minstrel" side of things.
If he's done it at least 3 times (that he can recall), there's a good chance that he's probably done it more. He probably was doing an awful lot of tributes.

IvanKaramazov said:

Agree. Doing this in 2001 is pretty amazing, especially given who he is. 

Thanks [scooter]. Wild guess - what percentage of people do you think agree with your position here?  In other words, how mainstream do you think that position is?

Thanks [scooter]. Wild guess - what percentage of people do you think agree with your position here?  In other words, how mainstream do you think that position is?
I think the majority of people agree with my position, although everyone has their own internal "sliding scale" in terms of where the line is drawn. For example, I don't think very many people get outraged when Frank Caliendo wears dark makeup and does a spot-on impersonation of Charles Barkley. In Caliendo's case, the makeup is light-brown and the impersonation is obviously not done in a mean-spirited manner.

But if Caliendo was wearing significantly darker makeup and talking in a stereotypical "Stepin' Fetchit" voice, I think people would start getting offended. And if Caliendo had blackened his skin while making his eyes white and his lips bright red (i.e., the "minstrel" look), then his career would have been dead in the water.

In Trudeau's case, I think that it's possible that he had 100% innocent intentions. But when the makeup is that dark, and when he has a history of doing it multiple times......then he loses the benefit of the doubt.

Trudeau is not very bright.  He is often tone deaf.  He is also full of #### and pretends to be something he is a not (a supporter of feminism for example.  

He is not a racist.  Not even close.  He is also going to win the election, quite easily I bet.  

I think the majority of people agree with my position, although everyone has their own internal "sliding scale" in terms of where the line is drawn. For example, I don't think very many people get outraged when Frank Caliendo wears dark makeup and does a spot-on impersonation of Charles Barkley. In Caliendo's case, the makeup is light-brown and the impersonation is obviously not done in a mean-spirited manner.

But if Caliendo was wearing significantly darker makeup and talking in a stereotypical "Stepin' Fetchit" voice, I think people would start getting offended. And if Caliendo had blackened his skin while making his eyes white and his lips bright red (i.e., the "minstrel" look), then his career would have been dead in the water.

In Trudeau's case, I think that it's possible that he had 100% innocent intentions. But when the makeup is that dark, and when he has a history of doing it multiple times......then he loses the benefit of the doubt.
I agree with you in principle -- this is how it ought to work.  But it's a fact of life that if I -- a white guy -- blacken my face to dress up like Thurman Thomas on Halloween, a non-trivial segment of people will genuinely take offense.  And since I don't want to gratuitously give offense, I therefore shouldn't do that, even if don't think their offense is really justified on any higher level.    

This issue is a lot like the N-word, specifically that euphemism.  It's stupid and awful and infantilizes all of us.  Using the N-word by directing it at somebody as a term of derision is obviously terrible, but referencing it as a word that exists in our language should be completely a-okay.  People who take offense to a non-black person referencing the N-word are wrong to do so.  But as a speaker, I'm not interested in fighting that particular battle.  If I'm giving a public speech that somehow involves in the N-word, I know that a non-trivial segment of the audience will genuinely take offense if I say ###### instead of the euphemism.  I don't want to gratuitously give offense, so I'll use the euphemism even if I think it's kind of stupid.  

I know that, because of a system perpetuated by my culture, not necessarily my race, black people in America wake up with a curse on their head. Though my people came here in 1630, remained in northern New England for that entire time, have married into Indian cultures often enough for me to qualify for free tuition at Dartmouth, fought for the Union, I share the legacy of their curse and try to be sensitive to the awesome burden borne by people of color in this nation. But their race is not cursed. Non-whites in America are cursed. There are bigots in Canada to be sure but, as far as i can see, their bigotry is neither personally nor systematically supported by their culture. No racial responsibility, no racial burden.
What country to black people have it better? And LOL at curse on their head. I’m guessing there’s probably millions and millions in Africa who’d love to come here and get that ‘curse’.  

I think we as a nation bear the burdens of slavery.  Every one of us.  People of color bear them differently than us white people.
When we as a government are in the business of trying to figure out who bears what burden and how to rectify it, we lose.  It is an impossible task and ridiculous to even try to attempt.  Of course to even suggest to treat all people equally and respect is to be cast a racist.  This is tearing this country apart.  The real solution is to move forward and learn from our past mistakes, instead each side is drifting further apart and becoming more radical and producing more hatred between people.  And it is both sides and anyone who thinks not is a major part of the problem.  

What country do black people have it better? And LOL at curse on their head. I’m guessing there’s probably millions and millions in Africa who’d love to come here and get that ‘curse’.  
This same argument, nearly word for word, was made by opponents of integration, of the Civil Rights Act, and just about every other time racism against blacks been the issue of discussion in this country. 

Its the argument of the clueless white man who thinks that black people, rather than seek absolute equality in society, should be grateful for what they already have. 

Umm, what? Is this persecuted white guy thing you are talking about?
Yeah, that is the pathetic response I expect from the left.  Every figgin time in the cesspool.  Keep being jerks and  mocking how a large portion of this country see things.  It is a big part of the problem.  

This same argument, nearly word for word, was made by opponents of integration, of the Civil Rights Act, and just about every other time racism against blacks been the issue of discussion in this country. 

Its the argument of the clueless white man who thinks that black people, rather than seek absolute equality in society, should be grateful for what they already have. 
No, it is the arguement to give them equality and move forward.  The false narratives and zero empathy towards a prevalent point of view is as much of the problem as Trump is.  

No, it is the arguement to give them equality and move forward.  The false narratives and zero empathy towards a prevalent point of view is as much of the problem as Trump is.  
Well you’re correct that I have no empathy with this position or with “white resentment”  in general. I know it exists, but my attitude is that it’s awful and we (the rest of us who don’t have it) shouldn’t pander to it. Like climate change denial and opposition to gun control, we need to defeat it at the ballot box, and we need to educate all children, yours and ours, so that future generations won’t share these dangerous beliefs. 

BTW- I’ve seen you misspell the word “argument” many times. There’s no “e” after the “u”. HTH. 

Well you’re correct that I have no empathy with this position or with “white resentment”  in general. I know it exists, but my attitude is that it’s awful and we (the rest of us who don’t have it) shouldn’t pander to it. Like climate change denial and opposition to gun control, we need to defeat it at the ballot box, and we need to educate all children, yours and ours, so that future generations won’t share these dangerous beliefs. 
Treating all people equally and with respect is not an awful position.  In fact it is the best position and the only position that works.  Trying to put people into different buckets and creating rules for how to treat people in each bucket to make the world fair is the most obscenely ridiculous task imaginable and will not satisfy any group and create divisions not matter how good intentions you feel you have.  You can not create a fair world.  But you can make equal rules which treats everyone's rights with respect.  

Which side was against those things again?  And your argument is that of one who really doesn’t believe black people can achieve, arnt (fill in the blank) enough, are not equal. 

Hows that unemployment under MAGA?   They’ve been voting D for 40 years and what’s it gotten them?  

When we as a government are in the business of trying to figure out who bears what burden and how to rectify it, we lose.  It is an impossible task and ridiculous to even try to attempt.  Of course to even suggest to treat all people equally and respect is to be cast a racist.  This is tearing this country apart.  The real solution is to move forward and learn from our past mistakes, instead each side is drifting further apart and becoming more radical and producing more hatred between people.  And it is both sides and anyone who thinks not is a major part of the problem.  
That “learning” is a part of the burden, to be sure. 

Which side was against those things again?  And your argument is that of one who really doesn’t believe black people can achieve, arnt (fill in the blank) enough, are not equal. 

Hows that unemployment under MAGA?   They’ve been voting D for 40 years and what’s it gotten them?  
Continuing the exact same trend for black unemployment that was under Obama, if you look at any graph.

Yeah, that is the pathetic response I expect from the left.  Every figgin time in the cesspool.  Keep being jerks and  mocking how a large portion of this country see things.  It is a big part of the problem.  
WTF are you talking about?

Thanks. I thought that thinking though was the basic issue with the uproar over Megyn Kelly when she didn't understand why a white girl dressing up like Diana Ross for Halloween would be offensive. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/business/media/megyn-kelly-skips-today-blackface-nbc.html

“What is racist?” Ms. Kelly asked. “You do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Back when I was a kid, that was O.K., as long as you were dressing up as a character.”

She went on to cite the example of Luann de Lesseps, a member of the cast of the Bravo reality show “The Real Housewives of New York,” who came under fire this year for dressing up as Diana Ross, complete with an outsize Afro wig. Ms. Kelly added that she found the criticism of the “Housewives” star perplexing.

In doing so, she displayed little awareness that blackface minstrelsy, a popular form of entertainment in the 1800s that later seeped into Hollywood productions, promoted a racist caricature and presented a distorted view of slavery. Malik Russell, a spokesman for the N.A.A.C.P., issued a statement about her comments: “Maybe in Megyn Kelly’s world, offensive acts and racism are O.K., but I assure you for individuals of color, blackface is always racist and never O.K.”

I thought Kelly being way in the wrong was the majority opinion.

And to be clear, I'm talking more about what other people think here. 

You are literally doing the same thing.

”Don’t mock how a large portion of this country sees things.  Also, the left are jerks and pathetic.”

Thanks. I thought that thinking though was the basic issue with the uproar over Megyn Kelly when she didn't understand why a white girl dressing up like Diana Ross for Halloween would be offensive. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/business/media/megyn-kelly-skips-today-blackface-nbc.html

I thought Kelly being way in the wrong was the majority opinion.

And to be clear, I'm talking more about what other people think here. 
I think that Megyn Kelly is mostly right, but for the wrong reasons. When she was at Fox, she was a poster child for drumming up racially divisive stories and playing the "white Christian outrage" game. Then she tried to pull the same shtick at NBC and failed to realize that NBC has higher standards for their representatives.

I think that if a less divisive (and more respected) host would have made a similar argument, then the story wouldn't have blown up the way it did.

I think that if a less divisive (and more respected) host would have made a similar argument, then the story wouldn't have blown up the way it did.
Interesting. Thanks. 

And thanks for sharing your take on it. It genuinely surprised me. 

Medice, cura te ipsum. 

If you do something morally wrong there is no timeline.  The defense shouldn't be timeline, it should be if it is ok or not. 
But we know that black face was not always considered morally wrong at the time it was being done. It's only because of the evolution of what is deemed morally wrong that we are applying punishment.

If the speed limit on the highway changes from 75 to 70,  you don't go back and give tickets to everyone that drove 75 before the change. (I eagerly await the barrage of comments that this analogy is stupid)
I don't care it if wasn't considered morally wrong in the past.  It was in 2001 and it is now.  I am willing to accept that people need to be judged on today's morals in today's society.  

Medice, cura te ipsum. 

No, I am good.  80 percent of the resonses in the PSF to me in this forum do at least one of the following:

1.  Dismissive

2. Mocking

3. Snarky/Sarcastic

4. Guilt by Association

5. Labling/name-calling

6. Strawman

If that is all I have to respond to, I am going to call the crappy responses for what they are.  I think it is horrible that in this forum's view, 30-40 percent of the people of this country don't have a point of view worthy of any consideration.  Certainly specific acts of racism needs to be called out and erradicated, but that does not define the other side.  The principles which made this country great were equality and respecting individual rights.  The tactic of the left make white people feel as second class citizens and mock them if they dare even to question it.  They do have legitimate points which have nothing to do with racism or bigotry and to not acknowledge any of it will only add to the racial divide and we will never heal or advance from where we are.  I think we have actually backtracked significantly in the last decade.   

Let's not go off the deep end here, people. Soul Man was a terrific movie.

Make whatever point you want about the Canadian politician guy, but leave Rae Dawn Chong's single best cinematic performance out of it.

That is all.
I thought her best work was in American Flyers.  Her most compelling work was in Quest for Fire.  Her most powerful line delivered in film was in Commando where she totally nailed "I say again, Commando!"

Even though when this country was made these were not in practice?
Our country made great strides in equality between classes that really did not exist elsewhere.  It was far from perfect as the world was hopelessly racist.  But the experiment which this country started was a critical step forward for the world.  We still are still far from perfect, but the answer is not to go against those principles in a hopeless attempt to rectify the past.

No, I am good.  80 percent of the resonses in the PSF to me in this forum do at least one of the following:

1.  Dismissive

2. Mocking

3. Snarky/Sarcastic

4. Guilt by Association

5. Labling/name-calling

6. Strawman

If that is all I have to respond to, I am going to call the crappy responses for what they are.  I think it is horrible that in this forum's view, 30-40 percent of the people of this country don't have a point of view worthy of any consideration.  Certainly specific acts of racism needs to be called out and erradicated, but that does not define the other side.  The principles which made this country great were equality and respecting individual rights.  The tactic of the left make white people feel as second class citizens and mock them if they dare even to question it.  They do have legitimate points which have nothing to do with racism or bigotry and to not acknowledge any of it will only add to the racial divide and we will never heal or advance from where we are.  I think we have actually backtracked significantly in the last decade.   
Jon, you’re entitled to your feelings, whether I or anyone else agrees with them, but the complaints you have in this post are exemplified by no post I’ve seen as well as by this one:

Hence, “medice, cura te ipsum.”

Dismissive. Mocking. Sarcastic. Guilt by association. Labeling. Straw man. 

Even though when this country was made these were not in practice?
Our country made great strides in equality between classes that really did not exist elsewhere.  It was far from perfect as the world was hopelessly racist.  But the experient which this country started was a critical step forward for the world.  We still are still far from perfect, but the answer is not to go against those principles in a hopeless attempt to rectify the past.
Agreed 

Jon, you’re entitled to your feelings, whether I or anyone else agrees with them, but the complaints you have in this post are exemplified by no post I’ve seen as well as by this one:
The difference is I am responding to a specific terrible posting.  I put up a post which attempted to outline a different point of view only to get it dismiss as a 'persecuted white guy thing'.  I was not being disrepectful to anyone.  I responded to the crap which unfortunately is way too typical of the posting which occurs here and is routinely condoned by the vast majority of posters here.  Kind of like an incident i witnessed yeterday.  A older white guy entered the CVS I was in and muttered something under his breath about being a bum which this black guy overheard.  The black guy went off on him for a bit and told him he had a respectable job and was a CPA.   So according to the logic employed by this forum, the black guy was the problem for creating the scene, not the white guy who was out of line and was really the cause.  

Hence, “medice, cura te ipsum.”

Dismissive. Mocking. Sarcastic. Guilt by association. Labeling. Straw man. 
Ahhhh, the vulgate.  I do enjoy a classically educated person.

Users who are viewing this thread