What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

there's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet (1 Viewer)

Have you ever paused to consider that you might be wrong?

• i wouldn't believe what i believe if i thought it might be wrong

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • i believe in myself but am willing to listen to reason

Votes: 30 85.7%
  • i'm not so sure about what i believe so i change my mind a lot

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • i'm totally unsure of anything and need guidance all the time

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

mr. furley

Footballguy
i've recently worked with someone closely whom i've known for a long time but never really spent a bunch of time getting to know

after talking quite a lot lately and peeling back the onion a bit i've come to realize this person has an extremely sincere belief that everything they believe is absolutely, without doubt, 100% correct. 

in fact he has said:

"i wouldn't say it if i didn't know i was right."

"i don't do things until i know that i can do them 100% correct every step of the way."

"i have to go to a meeting with HR to discuss how my standards are too high and i need to learn how to deal with other people. i find it ironic that HR is telling me that i should be as stupid as everyone else and do things incorrectly just to fit in. everyone else should be smarter and do things the right way."

"there's no such thing as black & white. that implies there are two ways to do things or see things. there's only one way. the right way."

all said without a hint of any sarcasm or humor. it hit me that there are, in fact, people who sincerely believe there are only fixed answers. that they know these answers without doubt. and that anyone who doesn't know them as well is not just stupid but somehow sub-human.

and while i can at least somewhat make sense of how, say, one group can band together to massacre another and justify their action i could never really fathom the mindset of someone who independently takes the same action and has no remorse or empathy. 

having talked to this guy... i can see it now. there really are people who have no use for emotion or creative thinking outside of their own view. it both fascinates and terrifies me and i'm thinking i should start wearing a vest and helmet to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
His wife must really enjoy that part of his personality.  While not exactly the same thing, my ex-wife has a cool thing where she never accepts responsibility for anything and will immediately deflect it to be your fault. 

Both personalities are drenched in a complete lack of self awareness.  

i've recently worked with someone closely whom i've known for a long time but never really spent a bunch of time getting to know

after talking quite a lot lately and peeling back the onion a bit i've come to realize this person has an extremely sincere belief that everything they believe is absolutely, without doubt, 100% correct. 

in fact he has said:

"i wouldn't say it if i didn't know i was right."

"i don't do things until i know that i can do them 100% correct every step of the way."

"i have to go to a meeting with HR to discuss how my standards are too high and i need to learn how to deal with other people. i find it ironic that HR is telling me that i should be as stupid as everyone else and do things incorrectly just to fit in. everyone else should be smarter and do things the right way."

"there's no such thing as black & white. that implies there are two ways to do things or see things. there's only one way. the right way."

all said without a hint of any sarcasm or humor. it hit me that there are, in fact, people who sincerely believe there are only fixed answers. that they know these answers without doubt. and that anyone who doesn't know them as well is not just stupid but somehow sub-human.

and while i can at least somewhat make sense of how, say, one group can band together to massacre another and justify their action i could never really fathom the mindset of someone who independently takes the same action and has no remorse or empathy. 

having talked to this guy... i can see it now. there really are people who have no use for emotion or creative thinking outside of their own view. it both fascinates and terrifies me and i'm thinking i should start wearing a vest and helmet to work.
This person has a narcissistic disorder.

You need to be very careful around this person, because their narcissism can cause them to turn on you if you ever challenge their worldview. If you ever try to correct their mistakes, they will see you as a threat. Because they couldn't possibly be wrong, so therefore you must be the problem, not them.

Other.

The point of life is reform and one who practices same upon themselves does more to change the world than any crowd of noisy patriots. I review & revise everything in my head constantly. It causes no doubt, only greater faith in human capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
it hit me that there are, in fact, people who sincerely believe there are only fixed answers. that they know these answers without doubt. and that anyone who doesn't know them as well is not just stupid but somehow sub-human.

New to the FFA?

His wife must really enjoy that part of his personality.  While not exactly the same thing, my ex-wife has a cool thing where she never accepts responsibility for anything and will immediately deflect it to be your fault. 

Both personalities are drenched in a complete lack of self awareness.  
both are signs of narcissism

it hit me that there are, in fact, people who sincerely believe there are only fixed answers. that they know these answers without doubt. and that anyone who doesn't know them as well is not just stupid but somehow sub-human.
they don't, actually believe sincerely there are only fixed answers.  This is their defense mechanism to get through life, because underneath all that stuff they know they are wrong, they know they are weak and they know they aren't that good, because they know nobody is 100% right all the time.   

People like him are terrified of uncertainty, of not knowing. They feel adrift and lost and helpless and threatened. The "being right all the time" is just a protection from uncertainty and the unknown.

Now that you know, will you go out of your way to avoid this person? Is that possible? I'd have to minimize my exposure to a person like that for the sake of my sanity.

:confused:  

How does this logic make any sense?   Right doesn't exist without wrong.  To claim there is a right way inherently means there are at least two ways to do something.

Users who are viewing this thread