What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

House Broken Into - Thief Fingered (1 Viewer)

Bossman

Footballguy
About 6 or 8 years ago, my son came home from school and noticed the XBox missing and back window open.

Went thru the rest of the house and also missing, cash, old coins, jewelry (including my wifes $12k wedding ring), tablet, etc.

Called the cops, they filled out the report & took fingerprints.

We strongly suspected the neighbors kid as he was in trouble often with drugs and other shenanigans. Fingerprints came back, not a match to his (yes, he was in the system). 

Detectives were pretty useless even though we pointed them in the direction of the neighbors kid.

Out of desperation I sent flyers to all the neighbors, including his dad (his mom died in a car accident a few years prior) stating a $1000 reward for info leading to the return of the ring "no questions asked".

A few days after the break in, went to go play old man pickup basketball ... noticed that my basketball sneakers were gone. THEY STOLE MY DANG BBALL SHOES!

Ugh. So I came up with another angle, grasping at straws here, ...made another flyer, with a photo that I got online of the very distinct orange and grey Nike Air Visi Pro 3,  sent it to the neighbors, including the dad of the delinquent, asking if they know anyone that recently acquired these. "Only interested in getting the ring back. No questions asked".

Figured whoever stole the sneakers wasn't looking to sell them but would be keeping them to wear.  Maybe a parent of a teen in the neighborhood would find these in their kids closet and facilitate me getting my stuff back from their kid ... or at least the ring. No dice.

Time passed. Neighbors kid ends up being brought in for other stuff. No confession. Sometime later, neighbors kid gets arrested for breaking into a house next neighborhood over. He's looking guilty as #### to us now but no proof.

Delinquent kid goes away for a few years. Juvi or rehab or both ... not sure. He's back home with dad now. According to another neighbor, got his life straightened out. Has a girlfriend and a little 3 yo girl living with them.

Couple weeks ago, now 6 or 8 years after the crime, We're playing bball at my other neighbors and this kid (24 now?) shows up WEARING MY ####ing SNEAKERS!

I couldn't believe it. Thought that I must be mistaken. It's been a long time and I just forgot what they looked like.  Went home after, still had the flyer on my laptop. Yup, THE SAME SHOES!

So now what.

Punch the kid in the face? ... now I have legal trouble and I'm somebody worthy of suing (unlike him).

Call the cops? ... what kind of a case is that?  "He's wearing my shoes". There's no serial number and I didn't report them stolen since I didn't notice until after the fact.

What is the correct play here?

But I thought his prints weren't a match?  Maybe he bought the shoes off of the real thief?
I suspect he had an accomplice. That window is pretty high so the perp would have needed 10 fingers to get thru it.

... or the Detectives just have no idea what they're doing in our backwoods town.

kid just got out of prison, it wouldn't be the first time someone tried him for his shoes

strap some telephone books to your torso, wrap your knuckles and get busy

Now, officer. I know this is completely unorthodox. But I think this is the only way to find that boy. Now those shoes had a mole on them – I’d recognize those shoes anywhere. In spite of the juvenile snickers of some, this is a serious matter. That seducer and despoiler must be stopped; he’s extremely dangerous. And, officer, I’m certain that everyone in this room knows who that is. He’s a contemptible little pervert who…

Now, officer. I know this is completely unorthodox. But I think this is the only way to find that boy. Now those shoes had a mole on them – I’d recognize those shoes anywhere. In spite of the juvenile snickers of some, this is a serious matter. That seducer and despoiler must be stopped; he’s extremely dangerous. And, officer, I’m certain that everyone in this room knows who that is. He’s a contemptible little pervert who…
Mr. Bossman!!

Mr. Bossman!!
Well, I’m sorry, but I’ve got him now, and I’m not going to let him slip through my fingers again. Now, all I’m asking is that you give that boy for a few minutes. The officers can be present –  and we… and we… can put a stop to this menace. And it is a menace.

Well, I’m sorry, but I’ve got him now, and I’m not going to let him slip through my fingers again. Now, all I’m asking is that you give that boy for a few minutes. The officers can be present –  and we… and we… can put a stop to this menace. And it is a menace.
A young boys in the nude, a police line-up so that you can identify his sneakers. Please, please can we call them “sneakers”? Shoes is so ppp… shoe is so personal.

A young boys in the nude, a police line-up so that you can identify his sneakers. Please, please can we call them “sneakers”? Shoes is so ppp… shoe is so personal.
We can put a hood over his head to avoid embarrassment. Now listen: we have got to do it, as distasteful as it is. I know it’s him. That...  sneaker had a mole on it. And that mole is the key to it.

We can put a hood over his head to avoid embarrassment. Now listen: we have got to do it, as distasteful as it is. I know it’s him. That...  sneaker had a mole on it. And that mole is the key to it.
Mr Bossman, do you realize the difficulty of your request? Now, I would be very happy to, uh, to apprehend the young man myself. But can you imagine what the courts would say if you were granted a line-up in order to examine their private pa… their sneakers for an incriminating mole?

Mr Bossman, do you realize the difficulty of your request? Now, I would be very happy to, uh, to apprehend the young man myself. But can you imagine what the courts would say if you were granted a line-up in order to examine their private pa… their sneakers for an incriminating mole?
But Officer.

But Officer.
Officer, Mr. Bossman, I think I have a way out of this. We, uh, get the police, and we have ’em send over one of their sketch artists. And Mr. Bossman can give a description. We can put up “Wanted” posters all over the neighborhood… “Have you seen these sneakers? Report immediately to Mr. Bossman. Do not attempt to apprehend this sneakers, as they are armed and dangerous. It was last seen hanging out in the Bossman home.”

Officer, Mr. Bossman, I think I have a way out of this. We, uh, get the police, and we have ’em send over one of their sketch artists. And Mr. Bossman can give a description. We can put up “Wanted” posters all over the neighborhood… “Have you seen these sneakers? Report immediately to Mr. Bossman. Do not attempt to apprehend this sneakers, as they are armed and dangerous. It was last seen hanging out in the Bossman home.”
I dunno ... Porkies? .... or Animal House?

What's the file date of your flier on your pc?
Not at home right now, but I'm guessing Sept or Oct 2012 I think.

Would this hold water in court?  Even if they are the same vintage, color, size, model, on my flyer  ... still no way to prove they were mine.

... and even if I could prove it, what do I get out of it other than sending this kid back to jail?

I'm sure my stuff is loooong gone at this point. 

Not at home right now, but I'm guessing Sept or Oct 2012 I think.

Would this hold water in court?  Even if they are the same vintage, color, size, model, on my flyer  ... still no way to prove they were mine.

... and even if I could prove it, what do I get out of it other than sending this kid back to jail?

I'm sure my stuff is loooong gone at this point. 
Did your homeowners insurance cover the loss originally?

TALLYWACKER

greatest movie scene ever

TALLYWACKER

greatest movie scene ever
really? Greatest EVER?

Not Joe Peci's "funny like a clown?" in  Goodfellas

Not Sam L Jackson "Say What again.." in Pulp Fiction

Not Deniro playing Russian Roulette in the prison camp in Deer Hunter

Not Sigourney Weaver "get away from her YOU B####!" in Aliens 2

You're going with the Tallywacker skit in Porkies as your "Greatest EVER"?

really? Greatest EVER?

Have you met belljr?

really? Greatest EVER?

Yes...best scene ever

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have confronted him right then and there. 

“Those are my shoes!!” Beat his ###, call the cops and say he attacked you. They will take your side unless you spent more time than him in jail.whoever makes the call first is the “victim”.

Now that you missed your chance.....

Is he still on probation? Tell him you know it was him and that he better make it right or his probation officer will be hearing from you. 

Last resort, buy an eight ball, dump it in his car and call the cops when he leaves. 

It takes a criminal to catch a criminal and you sir are no criminal. 

I would have confronted him right then and there. 

“Those are my shoes!!” Beat his ###, call the cops and say he attacked you. They will take your side unless you spent more time than him in jail.

Now that you missed your chance.....

Is he still on probation? Tell him you know it was him and that he better make it right or his probation officer will be hearing from you. 

Last resort, buy an eight ball, dump it in his car and call the cops when he leaves. 

It takes a criminal to catch a criminal and you sir are no criminal. 
Now we're getting somewhere.

The part that really burns me is the fact that the father was no help to me.

I've talked to him several times prior to, and after the break in. He knows me. We've always been friendly. He has no reason to dislike me.

Sent him flyers and made him aware. After he learned that my house was broken into, how about you check the kids room or car for my stuff?

I sent him a flyer with the photo of my sneakers FCS  ... and he either didn't bother to look or saw them in his kids room, knew what went down, and did nothing.

If anyone deserves a punch to the face, it'd be him. He's my age and a hockey player so at least it would be a better fight.

Also... sorry my dude. I know how frustrated you must be.

As far as the father.... he more than likely doesn’t know it was his kid andnor didn’t want to believe it was his kid. Given that his son sounds like such a POS, he either is a POS himself, or more than likely, a naive father who was dealing with a juvenile delinquent in his own home. Also, blood is thicker than water. 

The kid wearing the very shoes he stole from his neighbor is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard of. I want to smack him just for that alone.

Users who are viewing this thread