What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Robert Tonyan, CHI (2 Viewers)

Robert Tonyan (TE, GB) - Week 5 Waiver Wire Pickups

BALLER MOVE: Add in 12+ Team Leagues

ROSTERED: 29% of Leagues

ANALYSIS: There is George Kittle, and then there is Robert Tonyan. Or at least that is what the fantasy points leaderboards tell me through Week 4. I'm not surprised at Kittle being the only TE to have played a 40-PPR-point game this season (Week 4), but I certainly am at Tonyan being the only other one with a game over 28 points (33.8) in PPR formats at the position. But that's what Green Bay's offense allows one these days with all of its injuries and absences.

With both Allen Lazard (indefinitely) and Devante Adams (this week) out, it was time for other players to step up. Jamaal Williams did so from the backfield and Robert Tonyan from the tight-end position. Tonyan was targeted 6 times, grabbed all of those six passes, and finished W4 with the most receiving yards (98) among all Packers' players while scoring 3 TDs! You read that right. Not even Kittle has reached that touchdown-mark (only Tyler Higbee and Tyler Lockett have had 3-TD games so far this season).

Tonyan is not going to have such a monster game on a weekly basis, sure, but he's played 48, 44, 40, and 42 snaps in all four games this year and has been on the field for more plays than all teammates except MVS and Lazard (probably done for the year). Tonyan has low-key caught 13 of 14 targets for 173 yards (9.7 Y/R) and has more than double receiving touchdowns than any other Packer (5 to 2 by Lazard/Jones/Adams).

The competition for Tonyan at tight end isn't high. Only Marcedes Lewis and Jace Sternberger have played 60+ snaps at the position through four weeks. Tonyan is a surefire WW acquisition no matter your league depth. He very well merits a stash with GB out on a bye this week, and is this close to becoming a weekly starter at the TE spot. Make sure you get him before other fantasy GMs catch up with the upside he carries.

I just dropped Hurst for Tonyan.  I probably just cursed Tonyans career and set Hurst on a path for stardom.  LOL

I just dropped Hurst for Tonyan.  I probably just cursed Tonyans career and set Hurst on a path for stardom.  LOL
at least we know who to blame now if  :censored:  hits the fan. Congrats you just put a huge target on your back. thanks for taking one for the team here at Footballguys 

12 team lg with small bench (3 spots).  Would you drop D.Harris for Tonyan right now?  With Fournette injured, I grabbed Harris as insurance late.  I have Kelce at TE, but having another TD Heavy TE as a Flex is an intriguing option.  Would Tonyan be able to maintain a level of efficiency that could merit dropping a starting RB for him?  On the flip side, would Harris produce enough in the NE offense to merit keeping?

I dropped Gesicki for him.......it may end up being a wash, or I may even end up regretting it, but Tonyan's upside is quite a bit higher since he has Rodgers chuckin it to him.  Adams back will obviously impact his target share, but I'd bet Tonyan will be the #2 receiving option on GB, moving forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped Gesicki for him.......it may end up being a wash, or I may even end up regretting it, but Tonyan's upside is quite a bit higher since he has Rodgers chuckin it to him.  Adams back will obviously impact his target share, but I'd bet Tonyan will be the #2 receiving option on GB, moving forward.
Adam's back might help Tonyan get more looks. I got Hill, JuJu and Keenan Allen as my top WR's and Allen as my Flex but with Ertz taking huge dumps of notta lately after the bye I think I might just end up starting Tonyan over him. At the very least he can give me similar production and maybe I try to eventually trade Kelce before the bye for some picks and a better back up RB for the bench 

This is my thinking as well. I dropped $65/400 FAAB on him and no one else even bid 20 on him. But I wanted to overbid to ensure I got him. I think he's THE surprise TE this year and will end up top-10, maybe top-6 even. 

This is my thinking as well. I dropped $65/400 FAAB on him and no one else even bid 20 on him. But I wanted to overbid to ensure I got him. I think he's THE surprise TE this year and will end up top-10, maybe top-6 even. 
Same here. Spent about 1/3 of what I had left for the season.

Reminds me of Julius Thomas scenario in 2013.

The sweeping judgement from several "knowledgeable" guys has basically been "This *MAY* be the sleeper breakout candidate of the year, that everyone in the fantasy  community basically ignored".

Now, I own him in 2 leagues, and was forced to start him in one, for the Monday night miracle this week.   Do I think this is the next Gronk/Kittle breakout type player?

I don't want to go that far, but as I told another leaguemate, we can't completely ignore that possibility now. Let's just say theres ONLY a 15% chance of that happening. I'd say that is a good conservative guess.  If that is the case, I want to be first in on this. Get him while he is remotely cheap, and use or flip him later in the season as you see fit.

(70% rostered on Yahoo, +45% in the last day)

Will he be a league winner?  Doubtful, but he may well be a high end plug and play as the season progresses.   Sure, no one has historically wanted to depend on a Green Bay TE (Jermichael Finley anyone???)  but go back to his week 2 and 3 lines.    Not much yardage, but he did get a TD in both weeks.  His week 3 explosion was an outlier, but the prior two weeks would seem to indicate this is NOT some fluke.

Rodgers generally throws to the inner circle he trusts, and Monday night it certainly looked like that connection was made.

Tight end has not been strong this year overall, I don't see it as unlikely where he posts  low end TE1 numbers the rest of the way.....with the upside of more.

TZM

Robert Tonyan (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.

Tonyan played a season-low 59% of the snaps against the Bucs after limping off in the second quarter. He eventually returned for the second half, but Tonyan's numbers were forgettable with 3-25-0 on four targets on a day Aaron Rodgers was deleted by Tampa's stifling defense. Tonyan will be a TE1 if he suits up this week against Houston.

Oct 21, 2020, 5:01 PM ET

On Tonyan's last snap, he grimaced and grabbed his leg again. The announcers never said anything, and he must have been able to run off the field ok because play never stopped. The Packers ran one more play and then that was it. So we don't really know if he hurt it worse or not.

Rodgers generally throws to the inner circle he trusts, and Monday night it certainly looked like that connection was made.
Tonyan has a season high of 6 targets and that came in a game where GB's entire starting WR corps was out injured.

Dude is a decent enough streamer in the hope that he grabs a TD, but his target share is horrible even when most of his competition for targets is out with injuries.  With Adams/MVS back he's probably a 3-4 target guy most weeks and that doesn't leave a lot of room to make up points if he doesn't find the endzone.

Tonyan has a season high of 6 targets and that came in a game where GB's entire starting WR corps was out injured.

Dude is a decent enough streamer in the hope that he grabs a TD, but his target share is horrible even when most of his competition for targets is out with injuries.  With Adams/MVS back he's probably a 3-4 target guy most weeks and that doesn't leave a lot of room to make up points if he doesn't find the endzone.
But but but he worked out with Kittle and they have the same hairdo! 

Wise man said, trust no Green Bay tight end. 

ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports Robert Tonyan (ankle) "worked in a helmet to the side with the rehab coordinator" in Thursday's practice. 

Per Demovsky, Tonyan was doing more than the Packers' other injured players, but he still was not in pads. Tonyan is now looking genuinely questionable for Sunday's showdown with the Texans after playing through the injury against the Bucs in Week 6. It's tough to say with how dire tight end is right now, but fantasy managers need to have a Tonyan back-up plan ready. 

SOURCE: Rob Demovsky on Twitter 

Oct 22, 2020, 2:12 PM ET

Robert Tonyan (ankle) is questionable for Week 7 against the Texans.

Tonyan was limited for Friday's practice but is still considered a true question mark after sitting out in the middle of the week. Mercedes Lewis and Jace Sternberger would be thrusted into a rotational role against Houston if Tonyan can't go. It's a situation to avoid for re-draft formats if Tonyan were in fact ruled out.

Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

Oct 23, 2020, 3:54 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Packers TE Robert Tonyan (ankle, questionable) is expected to play in Week 7 against the Texans.

Tonyan sat out of practice in the middle of the week before logging a limited practice on Friday. He has seen at least three targets in every game following Week 1 and has become a weekly starter for fantasy managers. Tonyan has five scores on the year, most among Packers pass-catchers. Mercedes Lewis and Jace Sternberger could steal a few additional snaps from Tonyan this week but neither is worth a look from fantasy managers as long as Tonyan is active.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 25, 2020, 8:01 AM ET

Robert Tonyan caught both of his targets for 32 yards in Green Bay's Week 7 win over the Packers.

A majority of his production came on a 31-yard catch that Tonyan, who was considered questionable for this one, had to dive for after he beat Eric Murray down the sideline. It's worth noting that Tonyan has totaled nine targets across three games with Davante Adams and 11 (5.5 per game) in the two the latter was sidelined for. Tonyan will remain a low-end TE1 against the Vikings in Week 8 if only for the offense he's involved in.

- Rotoworld

Robert Tonyan (ankle) was upgraded to "full" for Thursday's practice.

Tonyan hasn't been 100 percent, but he has been gutting out his ankle issue. Tonyan's usage has predictably, sadly fallen following Davante Adams' return, but tight end is such a wasteland right now that he maintains TE1 status in the Packers' elite offense. 

Oct 29, 2020, 4:38 PM ET

Robert Tonyan caught 5-of-7 targets for 79 yards in Green Bay's Week 8 loss to the Vikings.

A majority of Tonyan's production came on a 45-yard catch up the seam in the second half as he got open downfield following busted coverage. His seven looks were encouragingly the second-highest mark on the team behind Davante Adams' (12) — only one week after Tonyan was targeted a lowly two times, too. He unsurprisingly hasn't scored a touchdown since Adams returned in Week 6, but Tonyan's splash plays the past two weeks have kept him relevant at a thin position. He'll again be ranked as a TE1 on Thursday if only because he clearly has outstanding rapport with Aaron Rodgers.

- Rotoworld

Wow watching him tonight he is pretty much useless and unstartable.
After his 3 TD performance I jumped on the bandwagon and haven’t seen anything close since.

He plays mostly just 3rd downs, Rodgers doesn’t even look at him, (1 target and catch for 5 yards) and half the time he stays in to block.

Lewis the other TE even has a TD. And Rodgers has thrown 4 td’s tonight with Tonyan not getting a sniff.

Rodgers just has better choices I guess.

He's a TE.  If you aren't expecting up and down weeks I can only assume you're new to FF.  Prime Gronks, Jimmy Grahams, and Antonio Gates are few and far between.  Even Mark Andrews has had some duds this season. 

OK Tonyan is still available in my league.  Not sure I care.  I have Jonnu (fading?) and grabbed Goedert off waivers last week.  Thinking Goedert might be the guy for the stretch run if Jonnu continues to fade.

Robert Tonyan (ankle) is questionable for Week 10 against the Jaguars.

Tonyan suffered an ankle injury in practice Thursday and wasn't able to participate the following day. Green Bay's training staff remain sticklers for players up in the air and would only clear Tonyan if he's truly healthy for Sunday. Fantasy players should keep an eye on Jace Sternberger as he would likely rotate with Mercedes Lewis if Tonyan is out.

SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter

Nov 13, 2020, 3:40 PM ET

Robert Tonyan (ankle) is questionable for Week 10 against the Jaguars.

Tonyan suffered an ankle injury in practice Thursday and wasn't able to participate the following day. Green Bay's training staff remain sticklers for players up in the air and would only clear Tonyan if he's truly healthy for Sunday. Fantasy players should keep an eye on Jace Sternberger as he would likely rotate with Mercedes Lewis if Tonyan is out.

Nov 13, 2020, 3:40 PM ET
Drafted Kittle and flipped a San Fran RB for Ertz early in the season, was enjoying the flexibility in my line up and then...

So I grabbed Tonyan as someone had enough of his duds but he looked good to me this week...back to the drawing board. 

Robert Tonyan (ankle) will play in Week 10 against the Jaguars.

With torrential rain and wind on deck for Sunday, fantasy players can downgrade Tonyan even after he was declared active. Note that Tonyan has averaged 3.5 targets per game in his last four starts alongside Davante Adams.

Nov 15, 2020, 11:38 AM ET

Robert Tonyan caught 3-of-4 targets for 33 yards in Green Bay's Week 10 win over the Jaguars.

Tonyan, who was downgraded with an ankle injury on Friday, ultimately suited up. Aaron Rodgers targeted him twice on Green Bay's first two possessions, leading him entirely too much on the first target and drawing a DPI with the second. Unfortunately, this performance extended Tonyan's scoreless streak since Davante Adams returned from injury in Week 6. Tonyan will still rank as a low-end starter against the Colts in Week 11 since his position remains an absolute disaster for fantasy.

- Rotoworld

Robert Tonyan caught 3-of-3 targets for 18 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 15 win over the Panthers. 

Tonyan currently leads all NFL tight ends with 10 touchdown receptions on the season - imagine saying that back in August. On Saturday night, Tonyan's scoring reception was a simple one-yard catch off play action. He has now scored in five straight games, but the three targets tonight are a six-game low. He should be in starting lineups against the Titans in Week 16.

Dec 20, 2020, 1:00 AM ET

Pro Bowl super stud Evan Engram: 54 catches, 8 drops and 1 TD on 95 targets

Unknown scrub Robert Tonyan: 49 catches, 0 drops and 10 TDs on 55 targets

Robert Tonyan caught both of his targets for 18 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' Week 17 win over the Bears. 

Tonyan notched his 11th score of the season. He's now scored a touchdown in six of his past seven outings. An ideal red zone target for Aaron Rodgers with defenses focused on stopping Davante Adams, Tonyan has been as consistent a touchdown scorer as any tight end in the league not named Travis Kelce. The Packers will use Tonyan to create mismatches with linebackers and safeties in their upcoming playoff run. 

- Rotoworld

Curious to where his dynasty stock is now.  Doing a startup now. I'll report back when he's drafted.  Anyone seen him go in a new dynasty startup yet? 

Major steal this year, especially in 2TE premium formats. 

Robert Tonyan caught all four of his targets for 60 yards in Green Bay's Divisional Round win against the Rams.

It was a quiet outing for Tonyan, who had scored a touchdown in 6-of-7 games prior. Three of his four targets occurred in the first half, though his most impactful one resulted in a 33-yard gain to move the Packers into field goal position with just 0:14 seconds remaining in the second quarter. Having proven his chops as both a downfield and red zone threat this year, Tonyan will be a tremendous contrarian option for any Conference Championship fantasy contests.

Jan 16, 2021, 8:25 PM ET

Robert Tonyan caught 4-of-4 targets for 22 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' NFC Championship Game loss to the Bucs. 

With the postseason score, 26-year-old Tonyan finishes with 12 in 18 2020-21 games. A monster effort for a 2017 UDFA who entered this season with 14 career grabs. Tonyan's advanced age for a player with such a limited résumé will be viewed as a limiting factor in Dynasty leagues, but he is hardly the first tight end to break out in his mid-20s, especially one who was an undrafted free agent. A bigger question might be Aaron Rodgers' future with the Packers. Provided Rodgers is back, Tonyan will have to be taken seriously as a top-eight TE1 as a massive target who made big plays a habit this season. 

Jan 24, 2021, 8:01 PM ET

Packers extended a second-round tender to restricted free agent TE Robert Tonyan.

Green Bay now has the right to match any offers that come Tonyan's way or receive a second-round pick as compensation. The 26-year-old's $3.3 million tender almost ensures he sticks with the Packers another year as the two sides move towards a long-term deal. Having already finished second on the team in both red zone (11) and end zone (7) targets last season, Tonyan remains a strong top-eight option at his position given the lack of viable receiving weapons around him.

Mar 16, 2021, 1:08 PM ET

Packers re-signed TE Robert Tonyan to a one-year, $3.384 million contract.

It's the value of Tonyan's second-round RFA tender. The 27-year-old had a breakout 2020 season that saw him post 52-586-11 as essentially Aaron Rodgers' No. 2 receiver behind Davante Adams. Viewed as a sort of "Baby Kittle," Tonyan was a monster in the red zone last year. He remains a top-end fantasy tight end, as long as Rodgers is back with Green Bay.

May 27, 2021, 6:19 PM ET

I know he had a breakout season in 2020 but I'm not convinced.  Hats off to all of you who took advantage of his maximized trade value last year.

He has soft hands and took advantage of his opportunities. His value may take a hit if the Love is the QB but he might still see a decent target share being a security blanket for Love.  My concern is if Love is not the guy.  The Packers drafted Love in the first round. I would think they SHOULD be really interested in seeing what they got in Love and seems like they are more into keeping Rodgers. I get it. It's Aaron "friggin" Rodgers. I'm not sure what happens if Rodgers is gone and Love is not the guy. I assume the Packers bring someone else in via trade or free agency.  I would want to see how this all shakes out if I was buying or selling Tonyan.
If love is the qb he won’t have the tds that made him a top te last year. He should still be in the top 12 though just from a lack of receiving options. If Rodgers is the qb then I think he’s a notch below kelce/Waller///kittle/////hock but more consistent than the others in that next tier, like a mark andrews that doesn’t get injured. 

Is top 12 that bad? He was top 5 in my league last year.  People seem to forget where he fell in their leagues.  What a nice WW pickup he was for people at a position that is so difficult to find players to stream.
No, but he’s not getting any respect, like Waller last year.

Users who are viewing this thread