What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most Prolific Entertainer in Your Life (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries

Footballguy
On a road trip with my family and while my son is driving I’m playing car DJ.  As I’m jumping around from band to band I start thinking about which band I’ve listened to the most in my life - that’s an easy one for me, The Beatles.  But then I started thinking about broadening that out and saying which entertainer has provided you the most hours of entertainment.  Maybe it’s a singer, actress, athlete or other.

After spending way too much time thinking about this I realized that depending on your definition for most of us it would either be a radio personality (talk radio for some), TV personality (Alec Trabek, Oprah) or the one I settled on - sports announcer.  

I think one of the Braves announcers would have to head up my list - Skip Caray, Don Sutton or Pete Van Weiren - not sure which but if i had to guess I’d say Caray, would need to look it up to be sure but back during the TBS superstation days from 1980-1998 I caught almost every game and that’s 2-3 hours for 162 games.  

Whatchagot?

First half of my life - Ernie Harwell

Second half is a lot tougher.  Samuel L Jackson, Jimmy buffet, or Will Farrell come to mind

Lifetime award might go to Will Smith

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, JS Bach would win that title easy because his music's been on my sound devices an average of four hours a day of my desk time since i retreated from life after my Mary passed 20some years ago.

But there's prolific and then there's prolific and there's an entertainer who owns a huge portion of my head from his daily contributions to my psychic constructs when i was a kid. I've always been an insomniac. Honest - i slept so poorly as an infant that my distracted mother consulted her mother-in-law for the advice of one who'd raised ten kids on the subject. Gramma advised holding me by my feet and shaking me for some reason, which offered no relief but is probably why i'm severely acrophobic.

It was hell when i was young and got put to bed at 8 o'clock for hours of horizontal limbo before Morpheus escaped w my tortured mind. Until transistor radio, that is. I first began to hustle every scam i could think of at eight years of age just to afford 9volt batteries for the little box i'd keep under my pillow at night once i discovered how to use it without alerting the peeps. Music was chancy, could leak thru to my parents' attention. Talk was gold, but turned diamond when i discovered a guy who came on WOR @ 10:15 and just talked for 45 minutes. 

Jean Shepherd is famous to anyone who would read this only as writer and narrator of A Christmas Story. For me, that holiday classic was just a Wednesday night. As an old man, i find myself weeping with delight at any triumphal media moments and it's so unlike the rest of my day that i wonder about it. My guess is that it comes from backinaday when i'd wrestle with ennui, bedcovers & compliance for over two hours after i was exiled to my mattress each weeknight until the call to post which signified that Jean Shepherd was coming on. The relief from dread and promise of verbal exquisitude from this great broadcaster would often make me weep triumphantly at the sound of his Chicago twang.. How, night after night, he could spin such awesome tales and enchanting asides without betraying a hint of writtenness confirmed each day the excellence of which humans are capable. Every time nostalgia causes me to call up a monologue from Youtube, i can hear not only a fine story but what made me me.

Perhaps you can hear some of my storytelling style yourselves in these clips, though they could be the best thing you never heard even if you don't:

The Great Indiana Blizzard

Ludlow Kissel and the Dago Bomb

Lou Gehrig

i'm definitely slowing down on him, but it's most likely Stern for me.  I listened to pretty much every minute from about 2007 to maybe 2013?  or later?

Tony Kornheiser. I read him as a kid in the Washington post and followed him to radio, TV and now podcast. 

Even though he is an integral part of one of the most influential shows in the history of television (the sidebar with timer and the back and forth with Wilbon has spread its DNA to virtually every TV show made since), I can’t lie and say he’s the best writer, the funniest or most talented entertainer, but he has gotten me through school, several jobs, countless traffic jams, dog walks, beach vacations, plane rides and anywhere else you can imagine. More than any other “entertainer”, Mr Tony, TK, Mr. Porthouser, Doctor Tony, The HOF WOF, and just Tony, has been the background music to my entire life. 

George Porter Jr.

He is the ROCK of The Meters who helped define Funk in my lifetime. He played on tons of records as the backing band - he was Allen Toussaint's go to guy. Live even today he plays 5-6 times a week in New Orleans or around the world. Whenever there is a festival he is the guest bass player in several mash up groups - he gets called out as a guest for a song or two while sitting stage side. During every Jazzfest I've been to he plays about 30+ shows or guest appearances over the 2 week period - and is having a blast doing it. He is  likely one of the most revered and influential bass players of all time. He IS New Orleans to me. And to top it off he is an awesome guy. Go up to him before or after a show and you can have a great conversation - not a "hi how are you" - but a real conversation. He is one of my most favorite human beings on this planet - family included.

i'm definitely slowing down on him, but it's most likely Stern for me.  I listened to pretty much every minute from about 2007 to maybe 2013?  or later?
He's slowing down on us.  Stern is my answer for when I was in my 30s.  I haven't listened to him in a few months now. 

It was Scooby Doo in my younger years before the SNL cast took over when I was a teenager.  Chris Farley in particular.  

Since 2015 it's been Donald Trump.  I hate him, but he's a hell of an entertainer.  

Juxtatarot said:
Probably Robert Smith (The Cure one). Probably a close race among many.
I’m the guy who “discovers” bands about 10-20 years past their prime and The Cure is no exception to my latency...

I absolutely LOVE The Cure and plan on seeing them the next time they’re in town.  

I'm with you @AAABatteries with an announcer but mine would be from the college ranks.

The legendary radio broadcaster for Gamecock athletics for 43 years "The Voice" Bob Fulton

He did football, baseball, mens and womens basketball, soccer, and I'm sure more. He and legendary broadcaster for Clemson, Jim Phillips, were great friends and were well respected by both fanbases. Both icons in the state of SC. Ironically, I missed his last football broadcast of the Carquest Bowl in Fort Lauderdale as I was in attendance. I also got the pleasure of meeting him. Met him at the airport getting off the team plane on a return trip from Kentucky. Great times.

If announcers then I think I was blessed to grow up listening to 2 of the all-time greats - Vin Scully and Chick Hearn.  Hockey aficionados may add Bob Miller to that trifecta.

Comedians - Richard Pryor, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle are up there.  

Musically Michael Jackson and Prince were at the top because they dominated the scene for several decades of my life, but the most influential personally has been Don Henley

It once was Howard Stern, but like many in here I’ve been done with him for a few years. 

Tony Kornheiser has had the most staying power for me. Starting listening to him on ESPN radio middays in the mid 1990s and followed him through his various shows/podcasts ever since. 

Broadcaster-wise, it may be Bob Carpenter, who has been the Nats' play by play broadcaster since they moved to DC.  Ugh.  My youth had better options, when I grew up with Ralph Kiner (and Kiner's Korner) for Mets games, and Phil Rizzuto on Yankees games, but I think they have been overtaken in hours time.

I think I spread out my car listening too much between different podcasts and radio for any one radio personality to dominate.  And radio is mostly news radio with too many different voices to isolate.  Mike Duncan would probably be in the running between The History of Rome and the Revolutions podcast (and I guess I'll give Cec and Sig a runner-up for The Audible).

Jim Rome is the answer.  The TBS Braves guys and Vin Scully were huge for me also.  Music wise it's gotta be Springsteen, probably would have been Queen if Freddie lived.  R.E.M. is in the conversation.

Broadcaster-wise, it may be Bob Carpenter, who has been the Nats' play by play broadcaster since they moved to DC.  Ugh.  My youth had better options, when I grew up with Ralph Kiner (and Kiner's Korner) for Mets games, and Phil Rizzuto on Yankees games, but I think they have been overtaken in hours time.

I think I spread out my car listening too much between different podcasts and radio for any one radio personality to dominate.  And radio is mostly news radio with too many different voices to isolate.  Mike Duncan would probably be in the running between The History of Rome and the Revolutions podcast (and I guess I'll give Cec and Sig a runner-up for The Audible).
As I was watching Jeopardy on the DVR tonight, I realized that I need to take this back.  It's Alex Trebek and probably by a pretty good margin.  I've watched it pretty regularly since I was in high school or college.

Ozzy should be mentioned.  Performer, TV Show, and music festival.  Plus biting the bat...

Chick Hearn and Maynard James Keenan for me.  Grew up a Lakers fan and would try to watch as many games as possible when I was a kid.   Once I discovered Tool and Maynard--I never stopped following him and his projects.  I still probably listen to Tool, A Perfect Circle, or Puscifer 3-4 nights a week before I go to bed

On a road trip with my family and while my son is driving I’m playing car DJ.  As I’m jumping around from band to band I start thinking about which band I’ve listened to the most in my life - that’s an easy one for me, The Beatles.  But then I started thinking about broadening that out and saying which entertainer has provided you the most hours of entertainment.  Maybe it’s a singer, actress, athlete or other.

After spending way too much time thinking about this I realized that depending on your definition for most of us it would either be a radio personality (talk radio for some), TV personality (Alec Trabek, Oprah) or the one I settled on - sports announcer.  

I think one of the Braves announcers would have to head up my list - Skip Caray, Don Sutton or Pete Van Weiren - not sure which but if i had to guess I’d say Caray, would need to look it up to be sure but back during the TBS superstation days from 1980-1998 I caught almost every game and that’s 2-3 hours for 162 games.  

Whatchagot?
Wes Durham

Users who are viewing this thread