What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any FBG's organize a Golf Tournament before? (1 Viewer)

CGRdrJoe

Footballguy
I'm currently trying to organize a golf tournament for work, ideally we would have at least 9 corporate sponsors for this but I was wondering if anyone had ever put one on and had luck getting ahold of larger corporations. This will be an official Coast Guard tournament raising money for our local Chief Petty Officer Association and we are a fully registered 501c19 which I'm hoping will garner support. Or should I be hitting up local places and trying to get sponsorship from them? any advice on one you ran would be greatly appreciated, we already found the course and are working to keep green fee's down to try and get more people to show up. Ideally we'd make our money from sponsorships, 50/50 raffle and silent auction material.

I'm currently trying to organize a golf tournament for work, ideally we would have at least 9 corporate sponsors for this but I was wondering if anyone had ever put one on and had luck getting ahold of larger corporations. This will be an official Coast Guard tournament raising money for our local Chief Petty Officer Association and we are a fully registered 501c19 which I'm hoping will garner support. Or should I be hitting up local places and trying to get sponsorship from them? any advice on one you ran would be greatly appreciated, we already found the course and are working to keep green fee's down to try and get more people to show up. Ideally we'd make our money from sponsorships, 50/50 raffle and silent auction material.
yes - many.

In college I worked in a pro shop and ran tons of outings.  As a PR guy at a large corporation for a number of years I ran our corporate outing at Firestone CC - from travel accomodations, to gifts, to activities, mementos, pairings, food, etc.  

Just PM me.  

Approach some of your bigger contractors or vendors and put the screws to them rather than approaching random local businesses. Ideally, have your purchasing dept. or anyone with apparent influence reach out if you can.

That's how all my customers do it.  LOL.

Miserable thing to do.  I've done several.  You don't make much money, and it's a hassle.  Our conclusion after 2 years was we were better off asking for donations.

Miserable thing to do.  I've done several.  You don't make much money, and it's a hassle.  Our conclusion after 2 years was we were better off asking for donations.
Thanks, I’m starting to think an online silent auction for donated goods to our friends and family will raise more money 

How can you have an "Official Coast Guard" tournament if you aren't in the "Coast Guard City USA"??

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you have an "Official Coast Guard" tournament if you aren't in the "Coast Guard City USA"??
I’m in Alameda now and we are a coast guard city like Grand Haven. This isn’t for the coast guard though per say, we are raising money for the chief petty officer association.

I’m in Alameda now and we are a coast guard city like Grand Haven. This isn’t for the coast guard though per say, we are raising money for the chief petty officer association.
Just giving you a hard time ;)   You could have told me you ARE in Grand Haven and made me look dumb.. 

Thanks, I’m starting to think an online silent auction for donated goods to our friends and family will raise more money 
Golf tournaments are tough.  It usually takes a couple of years to really get them going.  The first year is always going to be a ton of work.  You need to get some great prizes there(preferably all donated) and you need to do a ton of marketing.  No one wants to play in a tourney that is half full.  Many don't mind donating their money to a cause but still hope to win some great door prize or hole prize to make up for it.

To make a golf tourney really work it has to be a blast.  Shot girls(hot ones) would be great.  Beer on each hole or a half a dozen cart girls(also hot) is a must.  Keep everyone drunk/buzzed and happy and then next year's tourney sells itself.  Cash events(duece pot, derby after the tourney, calcutta, etc.) where the organization keeps half are also a good idea(especially since there are a good number of people there who will donate their winnings to the cause).

Golf Tourneys can be great money makers.  I play in one every year up here that makes well over a hundred grand for charity.  Of course, they have companies donating golf carts and trips to Hawaii as hole prizes, but that's the goal.  Get everyone excited to play and even more so excited to buy into the cause and it could go great.  To get it to this point is the hard part.

Well I pulled it off yesterday, we had 68 golfers out on the course and through silent auction, mulligans, 50/50 and beer sales we were able to make about $3500. We weren’t able to get sponsorship but it still feels like a win. I probably aged 20 years in the last week and doubt I’ll ever do it again but our coast guard group was able to raise more money yesterday then we normally do. 

Users who are viewing this thread