What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel Week 4 (1 Viewer)

Zyphros

Footballguy
Here we go, after a struggle on DK to create a lineup, it was a little easier on FD for me.  Problem is I still don't like it very much, but I think bones are there to at least play around with some foundation pieces where as on DK I might have to start all over everytime.

It's just easier to spend on WR's here and there on FD so I felt more comfortable with that.  Found some guys I see as values with expected TD's.  Maybe the half PPR on FD doesn't put as much pressure in my mind to find the big volume value plays.  Anyways here's what I came up with after my first look.

Daniel Jones (yes it worries me)

Austin Ekeler, Mack, Derrick Henry

Golladay, Lockett, Fitzgerald

Waller

Rams D

It has a few of the same plays from DK but there's no way to fit this in on DK either.  Repeat plays are Ekeler and Waller.  

Biggest concern right now is Daniel Jones, Marlon Mack and Derrick Henry.  Not exactly sure about those matchups is all.  Really liked the WR's I put in, but it might be easier to pay a little higher for 1 and lower for another.  Anyways lets discuss week 4

Here is my knee jerk placeholder line up that I entered during Monday Night Football...

Jackson, Ekeler, Carson, Michel, Lockett, Fitz, Williams, Waller, Chargers

I doubt I will double up on the Raiders, so it is likely that Williams needs to be changed, but that was the last spot I filled and he was at the right price point.  Not sold on Michel either, so I will likely play around with some other combos in those two spots.

ETA - May need to use Dissly on the cheap vs the woeful Arizona TE defense...that means I could swap out Waller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel Jones' matchup on paper is excellent if not the best on the slate.  I feel like that's a game to target this week.  

RB is tough going this week.  After Austin Ekeler, there's just nobody I see who has a good matchup unless you go way down to some of the questionable low dollar guys.  Cook and Kamara both have tough matchups.  McCaffery and Zeke have good not great matchups.  

WR again has a lot of low priced gems.

At TE Engram should be great.  Also Andrews if his injury is better.  

I don't think I'm willing to pay up for Chargers D since Miami showed signs of life last week.  PIT if you're playing that slate looks great, as does Seattle.  DEN has a great on paper matchup but they have been underperforming.  

Daniel Jones' matchup on paper is excellent if not the best on the slate.  I feel like that's a game to target this week.  

RB is tough going this week.  After Austin Ekeler, there's just nobody I see who has a good matchup unless you go way down to some of the questionable low dollar guys.  Cook and Kamara both have tough matchups.  McCaffery and Zeke have good not great matchups.  

WR again has a lot of low priced gems.

At TE Engram should be great.  Also Andrews if his injury is better.  

I don't think I'm willing to pay up for Chargers D since Miami showed signs of life last week.  PIT if you're playing that slate looks great, as does Seattle.  DEN has a great on paper matchup but they have been underperforming.  
I asked in the other thread if Ekeler makes anybody a little nervous, or is this a smash players vs Miami thing every week thing?

I asked in the other thread if Ekeler makes anybody a little nervous, or is this a smash players vs Miami thing every week thing?
I mean, LAC is favored by 17 so he has game script going for him.  Miami is also 31st against the run and dead last in pass defense vs. RBs.  Only thing I can see going against him is the LAC plays at the third slowest pace but that shouldn't matter too much.  The Chargers have the highest expected points on the slate.

I mean, LAC is favored by 17 so he has game script going for him.  Miami is also 31st against the run and dead last in pass defense vs. RBs.  Only thing I can see going against him is the LAC plays at the third slowest pace but that shouldn't matter too much.  The Chargers have the highest expected points on the slate.
I just get a little squirmy when I see a backup start getting more work, and that was in a losing effort.  I don't think Ekeler is a Zeke-type back and get why Zeke was in a smash spot last week, so just wondering if we still play Ekeler over McCaffrey or try to jam in both.  

I just get a little squirmy when I see a backup start getting more work, and that was in a losing effort.  I don't think Ekeler is a Zeke-type back and get why Zeke was in a smash spot last week, so just wondering if we still play Ekeler over McCaffrey or try to jam in both.  
Going back to last week against HOU, Houston's D is no slouch against the run and Rivers threw the ball a ton.  Miami is way worse and they shouldn't need to pass as much. 

I dont know if McCaffery is ever a bad play, but now they play HOU who is decent against the run and even better in passing yards allowed to RBs.  CAR is also in a negative game script situation for RB.  None of the studs other than Ekeler are really a lock.  

Going back to last week against HOU, Houston's D is no slouch against the run and Rivers threw the ball a ton.  Miami is way worse and they shouldn't need to pass as much. 

I dont know if McCaffery is ever a bad play, but now they play HOU who is decent against the run and even better in passing yards allowed to RBs.  CAR is also in a negative game script situation for RB.  None of the studs other than Ekeler are really a lock.  
I know it probably seems like I am being argumentative, but I am just talking out loud here and pointing out things I look at while I try to get better at this.  

I took a quick peek at stats through week 3 and a few things that stuck out about Ekeler:

- Only 23rd in yds/carry

- has 2 RZ carries/game + .7RZ targets/game.  Looks like 12 other RBs get more RZ carries/game than he does.  

- averages 12.7 rush attempts/game, good for 17th on the list I saw.  

But now he is the 4th most expensive RB.  

3 weeks in a row I’ve read these forums and changed my main cash lineup based on recommendations here, and would have been better off by just leaving it alone.  I told myself I wouldn’t read anything this week but here I am, trying to stand strong with the team I created and not waiver.  Must... resist...

Hey guys what does OPRK mean on Fanduel?  Presume this is Opponent Ranking, but I thought it just meant the opposing teams overall defensive ranking.  Can’t mean that though, because 2 different players on the same team have 2 different numbers.  For example, this week:

Russell Wilson has OPRK = 30th

Tyler Lockett has OPRK = 16th

Is one ranking the D-Line and the other ranking the Cornerbacks ranking?

KarmaPolice said:
I know it probably seems like I am being argumentative, but I am just talking out loud here and pointing out things I look at while I try to get better at this.  

I took a quick peek at stats through week 3 and a few things that stuck out about Ekeler:

- Only 23rd in yds/carry

- has 2 RZ carries/game + .7RZ targets/game.  Looks like 12 other RBs get more RZ carries/game than he does.  

- averages 12.7 rush attempts/game, good for 17th on the list I saw.  

But now he is the 4th most expensive RB.  
yet he is averaging about 23 pts per game...

Hey guys what does OPRK mean on Fanduel?  Presume this is Opponent Ranking, but I thought it just meant the opposing teams overall defensive ranking.  Can’t mean that though, because 2 different players on the same team have 2 different numbers.  For example, this week:

Russell Wilson has OPRK = 30th

Tyler Lockett has OPRK = 16th

Is one ranking the D-Line and the other ranking the Cornerbacks ranking?
I assume broken down by position... as in Russell Wilson is playing a team that is ranked 30th against the QB position.

yet he is averaging about 23 pts per game...
And that's gone down each game..  36.4 -> 20.30 -> 11.60   

;)

I did my little chart thing, and he is the only one with 19+ touches/game, in a high vegas total, and with a good OL/DL matchup, so I do have him written down for FD cash, but will probably use McCaffrey on DK and maybe think about moving off him in gpps.  

3 weeks in a row I’ve read these forums and changed my main cash lineup based on recommendations here, and would have been better off by just leaving it alone.  I told myself I wouldn’t read anything this week but here I am, trying to stand strong with the team I created and not waiver.  Must... resist...
Karma and myself probably post the most in these threads but I know we kind of just use this as a sounding board to float ideas.  Not that we use them or we think they're good/bad but just to get a little validation or to hear some negatives against that choice.  We have different strategies towards building lineups as I see mine differ a lot from what he's come up with but that's part of the fun right?  I would definitely listen to some pods for advice instead of taking some forums users lineups and use them as your own.  

I am curious as to what you came up with cash though?  If you don't mind sharing.  

Struggling so far this season. Just highlight how unlucky I've been, I accidentally started the Panthers' third string QB last week :bag:

I'm all over Mack this week. Raiders awful vs. the run.
He's probably the only RB that just makes the most sense.  Problem I have is if he's nursing injury (from week 2) and just playing through it, along with losing Hilton could be that they focus more on shutting Mack down. 

He's probably the only RB that just makes the most sense.  Problem I have is if he's nursing injury (from week 2) and just playing through it, along with losing Hilton could be that they focus more on shutting Mack down. 
I hear you. Plus, if Mack is the chalk then his ownership percentage would be high.

Karma and myself probably post the most in these threads but I know we kind of just use this as a sounding board to float ideas.  Not that we use them or we think they're good/bad but just to get a little validation or to hear some negatives against that choice.  We have different strategies towards building lineups as I see mine differ a lot from what he's come up with but that's part of the fun right? 
This is basically it.  I am usually lucky to break even for a season and try to have fun.  

IMO if i am playing small stakes i shouldn't have to also spend 100s on pay sites and optimizers to have a shot, so I try to look at free sites and talk out loud here. 

I'd prefer the threads be more than just posting a LU without thoughts or stats or coming in on Monday and talking about winnings. 

If you had just used my line ups this year, you'd be 3-0!   :P

Seriously, trust your thoughts and intuition.  These boards are helpful for seeing what others think and bouncing ideas around, but at the end of the week, it is ultimately your call on who to play or not play in your line ups.  Remember too that those posting here are playing different types of games with different line up goals in mind.  They may not really fit your style.  Take in information and make the best decisions you think you can make.    That's all any of us can really do.

This is basically it.  I am usually lucky to break even for a season and try to have fun.  

IMO if i am playing small stakes i shouldn't have to also spend 100s on pay sites and optimizers to have a shot, so I try to look at free sites and talk out loud here. 

I'd prefer the threads be more than just posting a LU without thoughts or stats or coming in on Monday and talking about winnings. 
Sorry, man.  I am often guilty of this.  But, to be honest, I am not really digging through stats when making line up decisions.  I typically throw together what I call a "knee jerk" line up as a placeholder just to see what I can cobble together salary wise towards the beginning of the week.  Sometimes I will enter 2 or 3 of these into different contests.  Through the week, I follow along with news, injury updates, and I play with the FBG optimizer.   I have put a lot of faith into the H-Value rankings.  I glance over the Vegas game totals to get a sense of where the bigger point totals are expected.  I adjust the line ups over the week until I feel comfortable with just a single line up.  I truly don't spend much time looking at the detailed analytics.  For me it is more of a "feel" thing.   

Sorry, man.  I am often guilty of this.  But, to be honest, I am not really digging through stats when making line up decisions.  I typically throw together what I call a "knee jerk" line up as a placeholder just to see what I can cobble together salary wise towards the beginning of the week.  Sometimes I will enter 2 or 3 of these into different contests.  Through the week, I follow along with news, injury updates, and I play with the FBG optimizer.   I have put a lot of faith into the H-Value rankings.  I glance over the Vegas game totals to get a sense of where the bigger point totals are expected.  I adjust the line ups over the week until I feel comfortable with just a single line up.  I truly don't spend much time looking at the detailed analytics.  For me it is more of a "feel" thing.   
That's cool.  I get it if we all have different approaches and also get it if people are paying for content and dont want to talk too much about their lineups. Just because I prefer that doesnt mean the masses do, and I'm sorry - my post probably seemed a little more accusatory than was intended.  

I think I have ribbed you and BnB before for coming in and posting your winnings after the fact before though.  ;) I want every one in here to make money, so its definitely not that.   I realize I get too wrapped up in stats, but it seems to be how I processes stuff, especially since I basically watch 0 of the games anymore.  

That's cool.  I get it if we all have different approaches and also get it if people are paying for content and dont want to talk too much about their lineups. Just because I prefer that doesnt mean the masses do, and I'm sorry - my post probably seemed a little more accusatory than was intended.  

I think I have ribbed you and BnB before for coming in and posting your winnings after the fact before though.  ;) I want every one in here to make money, so its definitely not that.   I realize I get too wrapped up in stats, but it seems to be how I processes stuff, especially since I basically watch 0 of the games anymore.  
Me posting lineups wouldn't help.  My winnings correspond directly to the amount of overlay I find.

If you're playing the Thursday night single game, the QBs are dirt cheap.  I've got six $0.25 entries ready to fire away if there's overlay.

Anyone else considering Dolphins D for $2,500?  I’ve been a Chargers fan for long enough to know that they have it in them to make an awful, porous defense shine bright once or twice a year...

Anyone else starting their Cash LU anchors with the Sharp report?

His picks have produced 2.7 or higher 3 of 4 weeks and he had a pretty high success rate all of last year.

I really like the format of that article with regards to cash games.

Karma and myself probably post the most in these threads but I know we kind of just use this as a sounding board to float ideas.  Not that we use them or we think they're good/bad but just to get a little validation or to hear some negatives against that choice.  We have different strategies towards building lineups as I see mine differ a lot from what he's come up with but that's part of the fun right?  I would definitely listen to some pods for advice instead of taking some forums users lineups and use them as your own.  

I am curious as to what you came up with cash though?  If you don't mind sharing.  
I hate doing this as it seemed to curse me every time I did it in the past but since you asked I'll try and post my cash LUs and thoughts here each week.

Cash for me is multiple entries into the $2 large double up, $2 100 player 50/50s and several 10-25 H2Hs

As I stated earlier I like to start the Cash LU with the projected player from the Sharp report, taking a look at the mindset of big dollar player's cash LUs is a tactic I like so I like that article.  This week its Wash WR- T. McLauin at 6300

Based on what I've seen the first 3 weeks I'm starting the TE playing Ariz till they decide to cover the TE, so that's Seat TE Dissley at 5400 this week

Next I looked at mid range WRs, settled on Balt WR M Brown at 5700 and Jax WR DJ Chark(bit of a homer pic) at 6000.  Brown had a down week last week but I took several things from watching that game. 1.  He was targeted often and many of those targets were down field, he was also targeted multiple times in the red zone.  2. Weather had a lot to do with both his stats and Lamar's ability to get him the ball.  Clevelands def backfield is a mess so as we saw against the Rams they are going to gamble with the blitz and man to man, I feel like this puts Brown in a great position.  Being a local I have a good feel for Jags players, the Chark-Minshew connection is real, he looks for him often and its down field.  Den is going to load the box to stop L4 and the running game with the mindset that they are going to force a rookie 6th round QB beat them, he does and Chark is the optimal target.

Next I looked at Def and I'm not going to lie, much like with the TE I'm going to ride the 'Def playing Mia" train till it derails.  Last week was a little disappointing but a Mia Def score skewed the results a bit and LAC have a much better pass rush than the Cowboys.  Here I'm taking the LAC def at 5300.

Looking at QBs I wanted a stack for this LU and looking at what QBs would allow this I felt the best option would be Wilson.  I really don't think Seat trust's its running game and at this time I believe both Penny and Carson are Questionable plus Carson seems to have a fumbling problem, for these reasons I select Seat QB R Wilson at 7800

Lastley we have the RBs and the Flex, based on what I've done so far I still have 23,500 so my options are pretty wide open here.

My thought process here was pretty simple, get Car RB McCaffrey at 9000 in the LU, Houst has a hard time with rec RBs.

Next I wanted some part of the LAC running game against Mia, the game script just suggest that they are going to score and much of it will come on the ground and by the second half the should be in ground and pound mode, so RB2 is LAC RB Ekeler at 8100.  That leaves me with 6400 to fill in the flex position.  This is where the buyer should beware, I'm homering here a bit and going with the Jax RB Fournette at 6400 but readily admit that choosing another option here may be a better choice.

So thats

Wilson/McCaffery/Ekeler/DJ Chark/MBrown/McLaruin/Dissley/Fournette/LAC

The IVC chart has this LU at MT-123, DD-131.4 and SB-137.6 for an average of 131.0 and the optimizer has it with a floor of 131.11 and a ceiling of 178.28

HTH and good luck to all

If I get time I will try to post a smaller version of my GPP thoughts

Playing these dudes in several GGPs:

Rodgers, Dalton, Stafford, Ryan, Goff, Brissett, Justin Jackson, Peterson, Cook, Thompson, Mixon, Jacobs, Fitzgerald, Julio, Metcalf, Mclauren, Marvin Jones, Diggs, Waller, Goedert, Dissly.

Avoiding these dudes in almost all my GPPs:

Brady, Winston, Rivers, Jackson, Ekeler, Gurley, McCaffrey, Allen, Lockett, Engram, Kelce.

I hate doing this as it seemed to curse me every time I did it in the past but since you asked I'll try and post my cash LUs and thoughts here each week.

Cash for me is multiple entries into the $2 large double up, $2 100 player 50/50s and several 10-25 H2Hs

As I stated earlier I like to start the Cash LU with the projected player from the Sharp report, taking a look at the mindset of big dollar player's cash LUs is a tactic I like so I like that article.  This week its Wash WR- T. McLauin at 6300

Based on what I've seen the first 3 weeks I'm starting the TE playing Ariz till they decide to cover the TE, so that's Seat TE Dissley at 5400 this week

Next I looked at mid range WRs, settled on Balt WR M Brown at 5700 and Jax WR DJ Chark(bit of a homer pic) at 6000.  Brown had a down week last week but I took several things from watching that game. 1.  He was targeted often and many of those targets were down field, he was also targeted multiple times in the red zone.  2. Weather had a lot to do with both his stats and Lamar's ability to get him the ball.  Clevelands def backfield is a mess so as we saw against the Rams they are going to gamble with the blitz and man to man, I feel like this puts Brown in a great position.  Being a local I have a good feel for Jags players, the Chark-Minshew connection is real, he looks for him often and its down field.  Den is going to load the box to stop L4 and the running game with the mindset that they are going to force a rookie 6th round QB beat them, he does and Chark is the optimal target.

Next I looked at Def and I'm not going to lie, much like with the TE I'm going to ride the 'Def playing Mia" train till it derails.  Last week was a little disappointing but a Mia Def score skewed the results a bit and LAC have a much better pass rush than the Cowboys.  Here I'm taking the LAC def at 5300.

Looking at QBs I wanted a stack for this LU and looking at what QBs would allow this I felt the best option would be Wilson.  I really don't think Seat trust's its running game and at this time I believe both Penny and Carson are Questionable plus Carson seems to have a fumbling problem, for these reasons I select Seat QB R Wilson at 7800

Lastley we have the RBs and the Flex, based on what I've done so far I still have 23,500 so my options are pretty wide open here.

My thought process here was pretty simple, get Car RB McCaffrey at 9000 in the LU, Houst has a hard time with rec RBs.

Next I wanted some part of the LAC running game against Mia, the game script just suggest that they are going to score and much of it will come on the ground and by the second half the should be in ground and pound mode, so RB2 is LAC RB Ekeler at 8100.  That leaves me with 6400 to fill in the flex position.  This is where the buyer should beware, I'm homering here a bit and going with the Jax RB Fournette at 6400 but readily admit that choosing another option here may be a better choice.

So thats

The IVC chart has this LU at MT-123, DD-131.4 and SB-137.6 for an average of 131.0 and the optimizer has it with a floor of 131.11 and a ceiling of 178.28

HTH and good luck to all

Good stuff. Very similar to what I'm thinking, but I'm also toying with paying up for Mahomes, while swapping McCaffery for Ingram and LAC Defense for Seattle Defense.  

So thats

HTH and good luck to all

I appreciate your in-depth response.  I want to add the Colts dont seem to guard the TE as well.  That would make Waller a good choice this week.

Good stuff. Very similar to what I'm thinking, but I'm also toying with paying up for Mahomes, while swapping McCaffery for Ingram and LAC Defense for Seattle Defense.  
I just don't know what to make of the Dall Def matchup, will it be a ground and pound like NO did against Seat or will we see Kamara more in the passing game.  Much of what happened in that Seat game was weather related. 

So thats

HTH and good luck to all

Great post, thanks! 

I share much of your line of thinking this week but have been bouncing back and forth between Wilson and Jackson at QB.  I really think this may be a week where Jackson's legs do some damage.  I generally do not like to stack when putting together my cash game line ups, but it has been a weird year for me in that regard.  I had 2 stacks last week in my lineup with the Dallas D/Elliott and Murray/Fitz.  Neither were spectacular, but they were sufficient.  This week I keep finding myself with variations of 2 out of 3 of Wilson/Lockett/Dissly or Jackson/Ingram/Brown.  Those make make me uneasy.  You have the Wilson/Dissly, Fourenette/Chark, and Ekeler/LAC.  That is a lot of double dipping for a cash game.  At least the Seattle and LA combos have pretty high implied team totals in the Vegas value charts.  The 17 point implied total for Jacksonville, however, leaves me more gun shy of that combo, yet the IVC H-Value is crazy high for Fournette.

Hope you guys were watching thee overlay.  They were giving away 5 NBA Clutch tickets for just entering a lineup.

$4 Ticket to NBA Clutch Shot on 10/22 to the top 4000

Only $1566 entered.

I just don't know what to make of the Dall Def matchup, will it be a ground and pound like NO did against Seat or will we see Kamara more in the passing game.  Much of what happened in that Seat game was weather related. 
LOL, I'm living in 2018, sorry about that, too much football bad for the brain

Sorry, Ingram was still in NO in my mind when I posted this, just ignore my dumb a$$.

Secondary Cash LUs I'm toying with

LJack/Fournette/McCaff/KA/Lockett/MBrown/Dissly/DJ/Seat

LJack/Fournette/McCaff/KA/Fitz/MBrown/MAndrews/DJ/Seat

Some GPPs

Mahomes/Eklr/Fournette/Locket/MBrown/Ridley(Q)/Kelce/MJones Jr/Jax

Goff/Fournette/Eklr/Locket/Kupp/KA/Engram/CThomas/Minn

Wilson/Fournette/McCaff/Locket/MBrown/SWatkins/Dissly/DJ/Seat

Staff/Eklr/KJohnson/KA/MBrown/Fitz/MAndrews/McCaff/Tenn

Rivers/Eklr/Fournette/KA/Fitz/MBrown/Engram/KJohnson/Jax

Lamar/McCaff/Eklr/Locket/MBrown/KHarmon/Kelce/Fournette/Seat

Trying to get a lineup with Mahomes, CMC, Ekeler, and Ingram locked in, but it is really tough.  
MBrown/Westbrook/Ridley(he is Q so look before kickoff)/Dissly/Seat

Pivot off of Ridely to JBrown if he is a no go

MBrown/Westbrook/Ridley(he is Q so look before kickoff)/Dissly/Seat

Pivot off of Ridely to JBrown if he is a no go
This is for cash and Ridley isn't the best cash option, neither is Westbrook really.  So far I have Marquise Brown, Fitz, and Terry McLaurin, but McLaurin isnt practicing today so this lineup just might not work.  Also don't like Marquise Brown as much if Denzel Ward suits up for CLE since he can match Brown's speed.  If Ward sits, Brown is a lock.  

Is the best way to find overlays just to wait as long as you can before game start and enter a new contest and then just hope it doesn't fill up?  How long before game start does Fanduel stop adding new contests?  I tried for last night's games about 10 minutes before kickoff but didn't find much worth entering.  

This is for cash and Ridley isn't the best cash option, neither is Westbrook really.  So far I have Marquise Brown, Fitz, and Terry McLaurin, but McLaurin isnt practicing today so this lineup just might not work.  Also don't like Marquise Brown as much if Denzel Ward suits up for CLE since he can match Brown's speed.  If Ward sits, Brown is a lock.  
Doubt your are going to find 3 "cash" WRs with Mahomes/McAff/Eklr/Ingram II

LOL, you're going to have to give a little to get them in.

McLaurin is a part of my main cash LU as well and he is starting to worry me

Is the best way to find overlays just to wait as long as you can before game start and enter a new contest and then just hope it doesn't fill up?  How long before game start does Fanduel stop adding new contests?  I tried for last night's games about 10 minutes before kickoff but didn't find much worth entering.  
10 minutes is way too early

a minute or less, all contests will lock at the time the site say the slate starts, so if its a 705pm MLB slate then the contests lock at 705 on the dot and your best bet at overlays will be 704-704.59

Users who are viewing this thread