What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 NFL Coaching Carousel & Front Office Changes (1 Viewer)

Unless Dallas were to fall to say 3-4 and this losing streak goes out past a couple of games then things could change. Garrett has been in place since 2010, but most fans know he is in place because the Owner and FO have his ear, not all coaches currently on the 31 other NFL Teams could handle it in Dallas. 

Adam Gase is not for long at the rate things are going. They are looking like a 2-4 win team at best and some of that has to fall on his shoulders. If for some reason Miami decides it's OK to beat this team and succeeds which I don't believe they really can but if they upset the Jets, Gase might not make it past Thanksgiving...if Darnold looks terrible it might even be Trick or Treat, lights out for Gase. 

Kitchens is under a lot of heat, as Cleveland drifts back to at best a wildcard team in the coming weeks...they get Pitt twice, Miami, there's a path even after they lose to New England where they could be 6-6 or better going into December, that's usually a "Still in the mix" bunch. 

Teams I can't see any head coaching changes...NewEng, Buff, Balt, Pitt(Tomlin is fine), Cinci(New guy), South looks OK for now, West? 

I don't see a ton of movement in the 2020 off season. A lot of QBs taken in last 1-2 years and those coaches are going to be given a chance to develop them at least another season or two. 
This is true Tomlin to bad the Steelers had to waste Ben's career with Tomlin.  He is not qualified to coach a high school team.  Anyone would be better even Gruden!

Gase?  Already?  I guess so but I doubt it.
just seems like a guy who already totally flamed out once and the team seems to be in complete disarray and I could see them just realizing they made a mistake and pulling the plug.   Also, he was McCagnan's hire, right, so Douglas could want a fresh start?  Maybe take Mike Groh?  Please?

just seems like a guy who already totally flamed out once and the team seems to be in complete disarray and I could see them just realizing they made a mistake and pulling the plug.   Also, he was McCagnan's hire, right, so Douglas could want a fresh start?  Maybe take Mike Groh?  Please?
Not sure who we would get to run our offense.  Do we dare take Gruden?

I'm no Gase defender, but McCagnan left the cupboards so bare that it's silly. I think Dr. Octopus or NY Rage did a breakdown of draft picks after the first round still in the NFL that McCagnan drafted. The list was short, and not pretty. 

This is true Tomlin to bad the Steelers had to waste Ben's career with Tomlin.  He is not qualified to coach a high school team.  Anyone would be better even Gruden!
Careful what you ask for.

Mike Tomlin won a super bowl with the Steelers early on in his career there and they have been a winning team with him every season. 

Not bad for a guy who you claim is such an inept coach.

Bears have a lot of patience, but I'm not a believer in the Nagy experiment. they're bogging down week after week they look worse. no run game, no QB, defense just got exposed. bad o-line. bad play calling. 

Andy Reid - anything less than a SB trophy is a complete failure , and they will move on. he's the same guy he was with the Eagles, the same guy the Chiefs fired all those years ago for doing the same thing - Marty 'perennial 12-4 , one-n-done is postseason' Schottenheimer. 

Marrone, Shurmur , Quinn, Zimmer, Fangio, Bill Callahan, VRABEL - boy is that team forever bad under his direction, I would say Bill O'Brien if they don't make the playoffs. Gase is finished.

I do think Harbaugh gets dumped at Michigan and comes back to the NFL. 

Careful what you ask for.

Mike Tomlin won a super bowl with the Steelers early on in his career there and they have been a winning team with him every season. 

Not bad for a guy who you claim is such an inept coach.
There is a history of inept coaches who have won SB.  Switzer, Siefert They all had great teams.  Doesn't mean they're good coaches.  There is a difference.

There is a history of inept coaches who have won SB.  Switzer, Siefert They all had great teams.  Doesn't mean they're good coaches.  There is a difference.
You do not know how good your team has it apparently. No pleasing some people

Facts.

“Tomlin’s career regular season record of 125–66–1 is one of the best in NFL history. That .654 winning percentage is 16th-best all--time among qualified coaches, and among active coaches, only Bill Belichick’s percentage is better. The Steelers have been a regular playoff presence during Tomlin’s career, advancing to the postseason in eight of his 12 seasons and finishing with at least a .500 record every single year. Pittsburgh has been to two Super Bowls during his tenure, winning one, though they have not been the AFC’s Super Bowl representative since 2010.”
Mike Tomlin is welcome in Minnesota if the Steelers dont think he is good enough for them.

You do not know how good your team has it apparently. No pleasing some people

Facts.

Mike Tomlin is welcome in Minnesota if the Steelers dont think he is good enough for them.
Look at Siefert record with the 49ners, he was the second coming of Bill Walsh.  He got let go and found out how hard it is when you don't have a elite qb and Superior team.  Tomlin lost a qb but still has a elite team.  And he has no clue what to do, you can have him.  Please for the love of God take him.

Sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter Mike Tomlin leaving the Steelers to coach the Redskins is not "going to happen."

There have been some rumblings that Tomlin, who is on the hot seat himself in Pittsburgh, could be a candidate to replace Jay Gruden in Washington, though most aren't buying it. "It would have to be a deal that the league never has seen before and would change the way business is done in football, and I don't see that happening," said one source, who called the idea of Tomlin defecting to Washington "far-fetched." OL coach Bill Callahan will serve in Gruden's stead until the Redskins find a more permanent solution to their coaching conundrum. A decision on that front probably won't come until the offseason.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Oct 13, 2019, 12:33 PM ET

Look at Siefert record with the 49ners, he was the second coming of Bill Walsh.  He got let go and found out how hard it is when you don't have a elite qb and Superior team.  Tomlin lost a qb but still has a elite team.  And he has no clue what to do, you can have him.  Please for the love of God take him.
So you need good players to win?  Novel concept.

Guess Bill Belichick is a crappy coach.  Look at his record with Cleveland and New England before he had an elite qb.

Guess Bill Belichick is a crappy coach.  Look at his record with Cleveland and New England before he had an elite qb.

Reading is hard for you isn't it?  Bill has won with average players.  Tomlin has a stacked roster full of good players and he can't win.  When Brady went down I believe they still went 11-5 with Cassel.  With an average team.  Big difference here sorry you can't see it.

Mike Tomlin is not going to be fired, Steelers do not make knee jerk decisions and slowly but surely they're looking smarter and smarter for sending AB on his way and stealing Oak's 3rd and 5th round pick. 

I'm not a Tomlin fan but whoever was there inevitably would 2nd to Bill Bellichick in the AFC. Tomlin would never go to Washington after Pittsburgh. He would be a hot commodity and teams would line up and even agree to fire their current guy, he can be very selective about his next move. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chargers fired OC Ken Whisenhunt.

When coordinators start getting fired, it signals the head coach is feeling the heat. Coach Anthony Lynn is running out of lives with the Chargers sitting at 3-5. Offensive-minded Lynn has a run-game coordinator background, and the Bolts have been held to fewer than 40 rushing yards as a team in each of the four games since Melvin Gordon ended his holdout. We doubt Whisenhunt was the one campaigning for Gordon to be so heavily involved after Austin Ekeler tore up the competition Weeks 1-4. Either way, Whisenhunt was no mastermind. His loss likely won't be felt all that much. Lynn is likely coaching for his job over the season's second half.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Chargers

Oct 28, 2019, 10:17 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Falcons won't fire Dan Quinn during their Week 9 bye.

Quinn would have been already fired if the Falcons wanted to make a change. He'll survive another week despite owner Arthur Blank saying he'll evaluate the team during the bye. Quinn reportedly has "a lot of support within the organization," but remains on the hot seat. Even if Smith lasts the rest of the year, he's not going to be back in 2020.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Nov 2, 2019, 10:49 AM ET

Quinn just got the dreaded vote of confidence. Well, to be fair it was more like “we’re not firing him yet. Weird, as the injuries weren’t Quinn’s fault. 

It is kind of messed up that Gase and Kitchens are on the hot seat already.  How many coaches salaries can the Jets pay all at the same time?

NY Media is funny though - they're already set to pack the guy's bags.  even though I think it was a ridiculous and the wrong hire it would be just foolish to fire him after 1 year or even less.  I mean seriously?

-QG

Zac Taylor at #5 goes against the realities of the Bengals front office style.  Though Mikey is getting old and may want to win one before he dies I find it impossible to think that a 1-year coach would follow a 16-year coach.  Hell David Shula was given 71 games.  Honestly a better firing would probably be pseudo-GM **** Tobin at this point.

-QG

According to some, every coach in the NFL is horrible except for Belichick.  To some, every ref is horrible, too.

The implication here intrigues me.  Can you name one that is good at his job?
All of them are great.  You don't become an NFL ref if you aren't really good at it.  Coaches have the ability to cherry-pick ref's worst calls and challenge them 2-3 times a game.  The challenge success rate in the NFL isn't even 50% and teams have the ability to review the play on video before they challenge it.  

Complaining about refs has more to do about the psychology of the person blaming the refs than it has about the refs.  Some people feel the need to always blame others when things go wrong.  According to Mark Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks go 82-0 every year but only lose because of incompetent officiating.  I don't trust people who constantly complain about the refs.  They are people who let their emotions or self-interest warp their ability to judge things truthfully and accurately.

If the jets lose to miami,  gase needs to go. He is an AWFUL coach. He sucked in miami and he sucks as a jets HC. He is still riding the "I coached Peyton Manning" story for jobs and everyone should know, manning doesnt need a coach. He has arguably the best back in football with bell and refuses to design plays for him.  We even saw what drake did to arguably the 2nd best defense in the league and gase sucked with him as well. I don't have bell but it just sucks to watch a special talent like bell becoming useless.

All of them are great.  You don't become an NFL ref if you aren't really good at it.  Coaches have the ability to cherry-pick ref's worst calls and challenge them 2-3 times a game.  The challenge success rate in the NFL isn't even 50% and teams have the ability to review the play on video before they challenge it.  

Complaining about refs has more to do about the psychology of the person blaming the refs than it has about the refs.  Some people feel the need to always blame others when things go wrong.  According to Mark Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks go 82-0 every year but only lose because of incompetent officiating.  I don't trust people who constantly complain about the refs.  They are people who let their emotions or self-interest warp their ability to judge things truthfully and accurately.
As someone who enjoys watching games I have no stake in, I have to disagree.  A lot of calls people complain about actually are bad and about 20% of reviews don't go how they should go and that's before you add on the horrible pi rule from this season.  Really the pi challenges are a waste, some calls that are so clearly wrong each announcer is joking about how obvious it is to the point that they've already moved on to another topic only to have the refs come out to uphold the call on the field.

I'm not saying that it's an easy job, or that I'd know how to fix it, but this is what I see.

Users who are viewing this thread