What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 NFL Coaching Carousel & Front Office Changes (1 Viewer)

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jets owner Christopher Johnson will "remain patient" with coach Adam Gase.

Shefter continues, "Circumstances always could change, but ownership is not inclined to make any head coaching moves." Through eight weeks, the Jets are 1-7 with the second-worst point differential in the NFL. The offense has been horrific, and team chemistry appears to be fractured after rumors swirled around the trade deadline. It's rare for a first-year coach to not make it out of Year 1, but many Jets fans would love to see Gase gone. Expect ownership to think about this harder at the end of the 2019 season.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Nov 9, 2019, 5:20 PM ET

Nagy, Gase, Taylor, Freddie and any other so called offensive genius who thinks winning is all about being tricky with constant gadget plays and multiple RBs. You are not Belicheck and you do not have Brady at QB. Run an NFL offense, you clowns. Keep your best players on the field.

Quinn deserves to be gone.  His past success is the only thing keeping him on board but he has zero excuses this year. Especially with him being a defensive minded coach. 

Gase at least can argue they're building something and plead for time. He hasn't shown an ability to win but I'd probably give him another year. Unless Ed Orgeron decided he wants to try the pro game...

Jets owner Christopher Johnson confirmed coach Adam Gase will be back in 2020.

The Jets are going to see this thing through for at least two seasons. It hasn't been pretty for Year 1 of Gase, but at least the Jets escaped the Battle of the Meadowlands with a win over the same-town Giants last week. Gase's offense is at or near the bottom of the league in most statistical categories. Sam Darnold has actually regressed, and Le'Veon Bell is having the worst year of his career. This team needs a lot of work, top to bottom.

SOURCE: Dennis Waszak on Twitter

Nov 13, 2019, 12:54 PM ET

I don't expect this to happen, but hopefully Gase at least sees this as his last chance to keep a head coaching job and actually feeds Bell more often. How does he expect to win by not using his best player over and over?

In coaching discussions, penalties are often cited as "lack of discipline" and reasons to fire the coach.  Of note (maybe) is the fact that the two least penalized teams right now are Miami and Cincinnati.   Curious. 

In coaching discussions, penalties are often cited as "lack of discipline" and reasons to fire the coach.  Of note (maybe) is the fact that the two least penalized teams right now are Miami and Cincinnati.   Curious. 
Penaltied usually stem from being outmatched, knowing you're beaten and trying to compensate to still win the play. There is no downside to losing the play on those teams right now. I'm not saying the players aren't trying, but...it's gotta be tough to keep the effort at 100% 

Of course not.  Decent chance this comes down the the final game against the Eagles, and you dont want a team in disarray.  Boys still in 1st place in their div and control their destiny. Why would you fire a coach now? After the season, if you look back and its bad - then sure.
Because he's had a lot of years to prove he can win? They have an extremely talented team and should be contending. You're wasting the year by holding him.

Seems like another offseason of too many teams in need of a new coach and not enough worthwhile replacements.

I didn't see the Rivera firing coming with his starting QB down for the count this year. 

I think Rivera will be hired immediately, he's an upgrade over I'll say at least 20-25 head coaches in the NFL...in fact his firing should make some other head coaches very nervous right now. You got a guy like that walking around unemployed it raises the stakes. 

The Falcons, Jets, Dallas, Skins, Chargers, Broncos, there's plenty of teams where he is an immediate up grade and stabilizes the organization. I don't think the Panthers are going to be competing for a Super Bowl quickly with a new coach, just my initial take. You're not upgrading the head coach by showing Ron Rivera the front door and replacing him with some 30-Something Young'n, just don't think that will be the solution here. New owner is going to find out the hard way, best to have a real replacement and firing him with a month left in the season after what he has meant to the franchise, there will be a few names that won't want to interview with Carolina after this. Bad move by the owner IMO, could have turned up the heat or announced his intentions without actually firing him until Christmas, they're not getting the jump by doing this early December, it makes the new owner look like a fool IMO, something you would see Stephen Ross pull out of his ### like he does down here in Miami. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Panthers fired coach Ron Rivera.

In the midst of his ninth season with the Panthers, Rivera had been the seventh-longest tenured head coach in the NFL. A parting of ways was beginning to look like a strong possibility in the offseason, but it is rather odd timing with four games remaining. The Panthers clearly want to get a jump on the league in the research-and-interview department. With the Panthers purchased by hedge fund billionaire David Tepper in May 2018, "Riverboat Ron" and his old school ways were in conflict with his new owner's philosophy. It was probably time for a shakeup regardless of who was paying the bills. The Panthers have reached the playoffs just one time since their 2015-16 Super Bowl appearance, winning zero postseason games. Rivera is sent packing with three NFC South titles. If he doesn't get another head-coaching gig, Rivera will be in high demand as a defensive coordinator.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

Dec 3, 2019, 3:09 PM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Giants co-owner Steve Tisch declined to provide a vote of confidence in coach Pat Shurmur or GM Dave Gettleman.

"It’s been a very frustrating season," Tisch said. "At the end of the season (fellow owner) John Mara and I are gonna get together and discuss the future. As partners we have to be very honest with each other about where we see this team going into the 2020 season." That certainly makes it sound like changes will be on the way. Hired as a retread in 2018, Shurmur has predictably sputtered to a 7-21 record. The offseason mission will be "saving" Daniel Jones after a rocky rookie year.

SOURCE: Bruce Beck on Twitter

Dec 3, 2019, 2:29 PM ET

Judge Smails said:
Don’t think he’d ever coach for Snyder. Last resort destination. 
YOu may be right - but other than dealing with the owner - what a great landing spot.  May have their big 3 already with a top pick coming.

Ministry of Pain said:
I didn't see the Rivera firing coming with his starting QB down for the count this year. 

I think Rivera will be hired immediately, he's an upgrade over I'll say at least 20-25 head coaches in the NFL...in fact his firing should make some other head coaches very nervous right now. You got a guy like that walking around unemployed it raises the stakes. 

The Falcons, Jets, Dallas, Skins, Chargers, Broncos, there's plenty of teams where he is an immediate up grade and stabilizes the organization. I don't think the Panthers are going to be competing for a Super Bowl quickly with a new coach, just my initial take. You're not upgrading the head coach by showing Ron Rivera the front door and replacing him with some 30-Something Young'n, just don't think that will be the solution here. New owner is going to find out the hard way, best to have a real replacement and firing him with a month left in the season after what he has meant to the franchise, there will be a few names that won't want to interview with Carolina after this. Bad move by the owner IMO, could have turned up the heat or announced his intentions without actually firing him until Christmas, they're not getting the jump by doing this early December, it makes the new owner look like a fool IMO, something you would see Stephen Ross pull out of his ### like he does down here in Miami. 
If you already know you're gonna fire the guy why wait? It's clear the owner didn't want Rivera as the coach and has been leaning that way all season.  Now that the panthers are all but eliminated from the playoffs he can make the move official and start looking at replacements without having Rivera in the office.

So the Redskins are responsible for the firings of Jay Gruden (because the Skins were so bad) and Ron Rivera (for having his team look so bad against such a bad team).  You can't make this stuff up.

YOu may be right - but other than dealing with the owner - what a great landing spot.  May have their big 3 already with a top pick coming.
Other than dealing with the owner is the same as “other than dealing with a terrible boss...”. Sane, non-desperate people avoid those situations 

Guys who probably should be on the hot seat (without any knowledge of their contracts and/or general endorsement of management)

BOB
Should be, but he must have the owner's ear. Still no plans to search/hire a new GM. Sounds like he's president of football operations in all but name. Bruce Allen type stuff. 

If you already know you're gonna fire the guy why wait? It's clear the owner didn't want Rivera as the coach and has been leaning that way all season.  Now that the panthers are all but eliminated from the playoffs he can make the move official and start looking at replacements without having Rivera in the office.
For all the reasons I stated, it actually is a terrible move on a head coach that took them to the Super Bowl vs the owner in Atlanta showing a lot more class before he cuts Quinn. 

The Panthers can start interviewing the Freddie Kitchens of the world. I used to be a mild Panthers fan, lot of respect for Steve Smith, the DeAngelo/JStew back and forth, their Super Bowl run in the last 5 years but it looks like the new owner wants to be very involved, I am not impressed so far. 

I'll be surprised if Rivera doesn't get hired quickly, and I won't be shocked if an owner fires someone that many figured would be in place in 2020. 

Owner: "We didn't think someone like him would be available as a potential hire so we wanted to jump on the opportunity to bring him here." 

Cincinnati would be a great reclamation project but perhaps the place he left to come to Carolina is where he should go back to except now that's in Los Angeles. 

Atlanta would be nuts not to speak with him, New York Giants, or maybe Cleveland is ready to get serious. 

For all the reasons I stated, it actually is a terrible move on a head coach that took them to the Super Bowl vs the owner in Atlanta showing a lot more class before he cuts Quinn. 

The Panthers can start interviewing the Freddie Kitchens of the world. I used to be a mild Panthers fan, lot of respect for Steve Smith, the DeAngelo/JStew back and forth, their Super Bowl run in the last 5 years but it looks like the new owner wants to be very involved, I am not impressed so far. 

I'll be surprised if Rivera doesn't get hired quickly, and I won't be shocked if an owner fires someone that many figured would be in place in 2020. 

Owner: "We didn't think someone like him would be available as a potential hire so we wanted to jump on the opportunity to bring him here." 

Cincinnati would be a great reclamation project but perhaps the place he left to come to Carolina is where he should go back to except now that's in Los Angeles. 

Atlanta would be nuts not to speak with him, New York Giants, or maybe Cleveland is ready to get serious. 
The idea of "class" doesn't result in wins.  The pats are the last team I'd call classy in how they handle their personnel, but boy do they win.

The Kitchens comp doesn't work here.  Kitchens was an in house familiar face cle didn't want to get away because the likes of Zac Taylor (a better comp) was getting serious buzz, and after taking over as head coach the Browns improved on offense on all levels.  It was a good gamble that didn't pay off.

Rivera probably will get hired.  As I said before there's a lot of spots and not many qualified candidates.

I don't know where you're getting this quote or who it's referring to.

Idk where Rivera was before now.  If you're talking about the chargers then that might work, idk how hot Lynn's seat is but it should at least be warming. Mcvay has at least two years left before he goes anywhere.

I don't think Atlanta goes with another defensive head coach after Quinn.  NY either. Sure they'll give him an interview, but I think the giants are all in on doing everything they can to coach up Jones at every level.

Maybe he goes to Dallas?  How well does he know Jerry?

Users who are viewing this thread