What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Injured Reserve Roster Spots -- (1 Viewer)

Wu-banger

Footballguy
I think most leagues use them for hurt players.... and they are a needed addition to your roster.

Under what criteria do you allow players to be placed on IR ? 

I firmly disagree how ESPN handles this spot , while other sites like CBS and MFL allow more freedom but needs Commissioner interaction / discretion in a lot of cases.(I have seen guys like Luck, Gronk , Melvin Gordon) in IR spots this year.

How does your league handle and what do you prefer ?

I have two Yahoo leagues and one ESPN that use IR.  You can use them for players designated as IR or Out.  Couple owners #####ed about not being able to put NA or SUSP players in there, but thats BS IMO 

I have two Yahoo leagues and one ESPN that use IR.  You can use them for players designated as IR or Out.  Couple owners #####ed about not being able to put NA or SUSP players in there, but thats BS IMO 
my thoughts as well, although I do not like how ESPN dictates roster moves from unofficial designations of players.

Yes, suspended players should have to be on the bench or dropped.

I.R. means injured, not stupid.

My league requires an O, not a D or Q to go on the list. Coming off you get a one game grace in case he suddenly plays a game.

One league requires a D, O, or IR listing to move a player to IR but doesn't have the setting restricted on MFL b/c we've found MFL to be unreliable in its designations over the years. Too often on a Tuesday, MFL removes the injury tag from a player that is know to be out multiple weeks and then re-applies the tag on Wednesday, causing illegal roster notices. 

One league only allows IR or Suspended players to go to IR spots. I actually like the use of IR for suspended players. As a "team owner" I have zero control over stupid, just like I have zero control over Injury. The random 4 game S that is way, way to common these days, has made me appreciate that option even more.

Honestly, though, my leagues are all on MFL now. I can't even tolerate ESPN websites for sports news, let alone actually go there regularly for a league site. 🤮

Of my two leagues that allow IR (both MFL), the player must be "I" - not O or Q or D or S or whatever else.  They must actually be on the NFL's IR to be allowed onto the list.  If removed mid-season you have until the following weekend to reactivate them.

My dynasty league requires IR or Suspended. I’m pushing to allow “Out” also. We’ll see how that goes.

Don't have it anymore, but, I remember the one league I was in that did have them, you could move anyone on IR or "out" for the week into the spot, and keep him there as long as you wanted. To re-activate him, of course, you had to drop a player to open up a regular spot.

So, yes, you could put a guy in there who missed one game and float him for a month or two if you really wanted.
I should have clarified in my reply, but in my Yahoo leagues that have an IR spot, if you put in a player that's O for the week, and after the games he loses the O, then you can't make any waiver claims until you drop a player and clear the IR slot.  It prevents you from stashing a guy who is O two weeks in a row, then turns to Q, but you want to float him for a week and see how he does without dropping a player and moving him.  You can float him, but you can't make any other moves while doing so. 

Not sure yet how ESPN handles this - this my first year on their platform, haven't been able to experiment this yet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In our local on ESPN ($$ league), a player can only be moved to or remain in the IR slot if he is listed as "IR" or "O" (out). If he is in the IR spot, and his listing changes to Q or is activated, you must either move him to the active roster or drop him. If you don't do either, you can't add, drop, trade or play any players. You may also pick-up a player off waivers that is listed as "IR" or "O", but you must first drop a player on your roster. You may then move the picked-up player to the IR slot, and then pick-up another player to fill the vacated spot on your roster.

Our intention was to only let IR players eligible to be placed in the slot. But we just moved to yahoo and didn't realize you can place Out players in the slot as well. Told everybody honor system not to do so (I'm not monitoring) and next year will remove the slot altogether. I am currently stashing Njoku on IR, another player is stashing Guice, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread