What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**OFFICIAL** New York Mets (1 Viewer)

MindCrime

Footballguy
Well, I can’t be the only Mets fan floating around these boards, so I figured I’d make it “official”.  With 3 games left, all we have left is to root for Alonso to hit 2 more HRs to pass Judge for the rookie record, and wait for the official announcement of deGrom’s second straight Cy Young.

2019 ended up about how I expected in the standings, but the journey was much different than I think anyone expected. As always, despite the optimism, there are some clouds hanging around this team (Ownership).

Brodie Van Wagenen as GM made a big splash last off season by bringing in RobinsonCano, Edwin Diaz, and Wilson Ramos. Ramos played well for us both defensively and with the bat, even though he needs a walker to get around the bases. Cano played ok, but I’m not a fan at all. (I’d rather see McNeil at 2nd, or even mid season acquisition Joe Panic, at least he runs out hits) Diaz was a dumpster fire.

McNeil and Alonso didn’t make the bigs until the last day of the preseason, and both made the all-star team. I have to say, they made this season fun, and are the heart of this team for the next few years. I love how both play the game. JD Davis was also a big surprise, the kid can hit, and his defense improved greatly in left. Conforto made a case for a long term contract extension, playing well in RF and taking some heat off of Alonso in the batting order.

Signing deGrom after a Cy Young season wasn’t cheap, but a back to back Cy Young win looks to be in the bag. He’s just amazing.

Players I expect to be gone this offseason: Frazier, Wheeler, Lagares. Probably Panic as well, but I’d welcome him back as a bench utility guy (He’s a NY guy, so maybe a hometown discount?) Dominic Smith should have trade value, as he still seems out of place in the outfield and has no chance to unseat Alonso at first.

I don’t think Edwin Diaz can recover, especially not in NY. Trade him for pennies on the dollar and move on. Familia was horrible this year as well, but I think he can get it back, especially with Diaz taking most of the heat this year.

Lugo saved our bullpen and was the only reason we even sniffed the wildcard this year. Without him our season was done in August. Wilson looked good down the stretch as well, so maybe there is hope. Get Gsellmen back healthy Along with a decent middle reliever , add a closer with thick skin, and I think we can be adequate in the bullpen.

I’m not sold on Mickey Callaway, but won’t be crushed if ge returns. My guess is that he us gone, as they will try to make a splash with a big name. But Callaway had these players responding to him, I’m afraid a new manager may not be able to do the same. Time will tell on this.

For a team that isn't making the playoffs, that was an amazing last weekend of baseball. Alonso sets the rookie HR mark at 53, also leading all of MLB in HR. Then Dom Smith, who busted his tail to get back on the field after 2 months on the IL, gors deep to win it in the 11th.  I can’t wait until next year. #LFGM

For a team that isn't making the playoffs, that was an amazing last weekend of baseball. Alonso sets the rookie HR mark at 53, also leading all of MLB in HR. Then Dom Smith, who busted his tail to get back on the field after 2 months on the IL, gors deep to win it in the 11th.  I can’t wait until next year. #LFGM
I'm with you brother. If not for the failures of the bullpen and Diaz in particular, this team would be a force in the playoffs. It was an absolute thrill to witness what Alonso did this season. A once in a lifetime season. Love him!

This team saved Callaway his job. I dont know if he deserves another year, only they know, but I'll trust them to make the right call.

I was glad when the weren't sellers at the trade deadline and only hoped for them to be competitive until the end. They more than surpassed that.

You are dead on in your first post about who will be around next year. So looking forward to it.

It's a cliche but Wait 'til next year!

Callaway out as manager. I don’t think a big name is coming- Van Wagenen wants too much say in day to day operations to give up control that a big name would demand. 
Riggleman also fired as bench coach. No decisions made yet on any other coaches.

They’d be stupid to get rid of Chili Davis as hitting coach, imo. And I don’t care how old he is- keep Phil Reagan as pitching coach.

I won't shed a tear for Callaway. I thought he needed to go a bunch of times during the season and was afraid the late season surge saved him. I generally trust management when it comes to making a decision on managers since they know what's really going on in the locker room. 

This kind of reminds me of the 1993 Rangers. I really liked Roger Neilson but it was clear he wasn't the right fit for the team. I still remember where I was when they announced signing Mike Keenan, driving a truck on the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway, and I let out a yell! I knew this was exactly what the team needed. I didn't always agree with Keenan's methods and I'm not saying the Mets need a taskmaster like that, since that won't work in baseball, but they need a strict fundamentals guy who will create a winning atmosphere and instill real structure. And someone who will take the heat for the team. I don't know who that is but I hope they don't bring in a softy. They have a lot of pieces in place for a serious run. They just need the right man to steer the ship. #LGM

I like Chili Davis too.

Seems like the Mets are casting a very wide net for potential managers. They’ve interviewed experienced, newbies, big names, no-names, etc. I’d love to think this is all part of a big plan, but I also worry that they are just throwing darts blindly. I know it’s still early... but hey, I’m a Mets fan... tough to be too optimistic. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Carlos Beltran officially announced as the new manager today. I like the hire, a good mix of fan favorite and his baseball IQ has been talked up by many current and former players and managers. I just hope Van Wagenen lets him manage, but I could say that about anyone that we brought in. Here’s lookin at 2020!

Mets did not pick up $9+ million option on Lagares ( Thankfully), so we are now in the market for a CF. 
Zach Wheeler was offered a tender, but no way he stays for that alone. We will get 2020 compensation when he leaves , which is a small consolation.

Todd Frazier, Joe Panik, Brad Brach are officially FA now. I think Panik makes sense to return if he takes a hometown discount, which is a possibility the way he gushed about returning back to New York when we picked him up late in the season. 

They’d be stupid to get rid of Chili Davis as hitting coach, imo. And I don’t care how old he is- keep Phil Reagan as pitching coach.
Lost in the news yesterday of deGrom winning his second straight Cy Young award, the Mets bring back Chili Davis as hitting coach for 2 years guaranteed. With some great young hitters on the team, this is a really good move that beeded to be done, imo.

Mets bring back Chili

Not a fan of the Beltran hire. I would have rather they went with Alfonzo or Wally Bachman, although I know Bachman comes with some baggage.

Pretty comparable to Lagares, maybe slightly better, and Lagares was a useful bench player/ defensive replacement.
Marisnick is a $3M player who'll be a free agent next year.  He won't be useless as the short side of a CF platoon with Nimmo but I don't get why you trade two prospects for him.  Even though they're cheaters, I trust the Astros talent evaluation and player development more than the Mets.

I like the Marisnick move if for no other reason than it keeps us for overpaying for Marte. I think Nimmo is more than serviceable as our starting CF, and we need to focus on bullpen and a 5th starter.

Been a while, but since it’s opening day, I figured I’d update for the record.

Thor- out all season with TJ surgery. I figured that this was pretty well mitigated with the addition of Porcello and Wacha, moves i like a lot. But now Stroman has a torn calf ( although Stroman himself seems to be shrugging this off as a minor setback. Lets hope he only misses a start) Right now, our rotation looks less than good behind deGrom.

Cespedes could be the biggest beneficiary of the NL DH. Just keep the wild boars off the field.

Sooner , imo, rathet than later, Cano is going to break down. I believe this is why Andres Gimenez is on the opening day roster. Cano’s contract is going to hurt for the bext 3 years.

i can’t even say that the Jed Lowrue signing has turned out “bad”, because it hasn’t turned out at all. $20 mil for 8 ABs. Glad thats over at the end of this year, it will help offset the Cano contract.

I think we’ve thrown enogh at the bullpen to make it work. Bettances may be a huge story if he performs as well as I think he can.

Off the field- I can’t wait for the Wilpons to sell this team. Not a fan of the ARod group, would prefer to see Cohen get the team, but at this point I’ll take anyone. 

Despite the issues, this is a very fun team to watch. deGrom, Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, Nimmo, Dom Smith. I enjoy watching and rooting for them.

#LFGM

let’s hope when the wilpons leave, BVW goes with them.  he has been a disaster.  2 prospects for stroman.  2 more (kelenic) for cano, diaz.  2 more for marisnick.  lowrie.  wheeler.  the move was to deal the highly overrated syndergaard when he had max value.  sign wheeler and at least have 2 guys at the top of the rotation.  now, wheeler is gone, stroman is hurt and so is syndergaard.  may as well deal dom smith while he has value.  

After watching the Cohen presser today, I’m ready to run through a brick wall for this team. It’s just so damn refreshing to have... dare I say it.... legitimate hope.  :eek:

My offseason wants-

-Solid Starter. Would love to see Bauer sign. That gives us deGrom, Bauer, Stroman, Peterson. Then throw in a 5th. Hopefully Thor comes back by All Star break.

- Realmuto. Pay the man.

-Extend Conforto. 
- Trade Rosario, get some pitching. Let Gimenez start at SS.

I don’t think we need to chase Lindor. Yes, he’s all world at SS, but we have bright future prospects there, and could use to spend the $$$ elsewhere. Springer is an upgrade over Nimmo, of course, but I’d rather chase pitching and a catcher first. If Uncle Stevie wants to make a splash, great, but start where the cupboard is bare.

Cano popped for steroids and will be suspended for the entire year.

Puts Nimmo & McNeil back and their positions and frees up another 20 million to spend on a Catcher, SP and bullpen.

One last gift from Brodie.

Cano popped for steroids and will be suspended for the entire year.

Puts Nimmo & McNeil back and their positions and frees up another 20 million to spend on a Catcher, SP and bullpen.

One last gift from Brodie.
This actually does more good than bad, agreed. At least for 2021. Unfortunately we still have Canoe at $20 mil per in 2022 & 2023. 
i’m with you, and the consensus- Mcneil at 2nd, Nimmo to Left, get a FA (Springer?)in Center. Leaves JD at 3rd, Gimenez at SS. Let Guillorme fill in off the bench, trade Rosario.

top FA needs imo:

SP (Bauer preferred, but a strong 2 behind deGrom a must)

Catcher (Realmuto would be great, but anythings an upgrade over Ramos)

CF- Springer

While I won’t complain if they land Lindor, I think SS is way down our list of needs, but hard to say no to his talent.

I'm not a Mets fan, but why not Bradley instead of Springer?  Keeps some money free for Realmuto & Bauer.  

I don't know, I'm an idiot, but this makes sense to me.

I like the McCann signing, if it allows them to chase Springer and Bauer, but definitely an upgrade to what we’ve been used to. 
Trevor May is not a top guy, but shores up our pen with a reliable arm. 
Don’t know much about new GM Porter, but everything I read is super positive. 

LFGM

Enjoy it!  Frankie is a helluva player, and Cookie is starting to get back into his old form.  It'll be a fun ride for ya'll.  I'm going to go cry in my beer now.  Excuse me.  :kicksrock:

I'm stunned.

The New York Mets have acted like a small market team for so so long. Thank you Stone Cold Steve Cohen.

FU Wilpons.

I'm stunned.

The New York Mets have acted like a small market team for so so long. Thank you Stone Cold Steve Cohen.

FU Wilpons.
This ^^^^^^
Oh, and Yankee fans on twitter going ballistic because they haven’t done anything this offseason? Priceless!

While I won’t complain if they land Lindor, I think SS is way down our list of needs, but hard to say no to his talent.
I was kinda down on Lindor because we have bigger needs, imo. But the fact that we already got McCann, and Carrasco comes with Lindor??? HFS 😲 

Not a great look to have to fire your GM 38 days after you hire him. That's like only 1.5 Scaramuccis.

How did espn have this for 3 years and it slips by the Mets. They had a great off season until the lid blew off about this creep

HellToupee said:
How did espn have this for 3 years and it slips by the Mets. They had a great off season until the lid blew off about this creep
Cubs & DBacks didn't know about it either - his previous 2 organizations.

Let this be a lesson kids - sending pictures of your junk in a text will never end well.

Cubs & DBacks didn't know about it either - his previous 2 organizations.

Let this be a lesson kids - sending pictures of your junk in a text will never end well.
No lie- I literally told this to my 17 year old last night. (Not sure if that makes me a good parent or a crappy one, but hey... teachable moments, i guess.)

No lie- I literally told this to my 17 year old last night. (Not sure if that makes me a good parent or a crappy one, but hey... teachable moments, i guess.)
LOL - did the same with my 17 year old son yesterday.

Hope all is well SML.

Disappointed they didn't land Springer - but not at the expense of not being able to extend Conforto & Thor when they both be looking of a raise after this season.

Wonder what they will do with CF now? Bradley Jr? 

LOL - did the same with my 17 year old son yesterday.

Hope all is well SML.

Disappointed they didn't land Springer - but not at the expense of not being able to extend Conforto & Thor when they both be looking of a raise after this season.

Wonder what they will do with CF now? Bradley Jr? 
Things are good, thanks. 
yeah, feel the sMe about springer but 6/$150 is excessive imo, and would have hurt tge other extensions like you mentioned. Bradley works for me, but really, any upgrade at CF that allows us to slide Nimmo to left is helpful.

Hoping to see Lindor and Conforto get extended prior to the season.

The Brad Hand situation is still there too- but with May in the mix and Lugo back to the bullpen, I’d love to have him but not a top priority imo.

Users who are viewing this thread