What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is the last time you ran? (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
For some reason this thought crossed my mind last night watching the TNF. I turned 50 this past year and I can't remember the last time I ran for anything? My limited exercise routine consists of elliptical, treadmill or some other machine (still no running). My knees aren't what they used to be either, so the thought of running makes them sore. If I had to guess, the last time I did something close to running was 5-10 years ago. And even then it was barely running - playing basketball with my sons in the driveway. 

I'm going to assume it has a lot to do with age. Congrats to those of you that are still able to run. 

A/S/L?  Age, Sex, and Last time you ran? 

50. Not a runner (swim for exercise). 

“sprinted” about 40 yards a couple of weeks ago when our dog got into it with another dog at the park. I’m pretty thankful nobody has that recorded. 

That makes you a dude. Congrats.

Have you always been a runner?
Actually, no. I hate running.

About 7 years my neighbor signed up for a half marathon and brought it up in conversation. Said she needed someone to run with. Seeing as I was overweight, and she was hot, I said: "Sure, why not?"

I was getting to be in a bad place. Drinking too much, eating terribly...I was going down a bad road. I started to run to change my lifestyle. Thanks to her she got me off my butt.

7 years later I've run 3 marathons, a dozen half marathons, and a couple of 5k's. I've lost about 24 pounds and kept it off. I no longer have to use cholesterol medicine. I have lost about an inch or two in belt sizes. I look and feel way younger than my 50 years.

I still hate to run. But I hate the guy I used to be more. So I keep running. 

For some reason this thought crossed my mind last night watching the TNF. I turned 50 this past year and I can't remember the last time I ran for anything? My limited exercise routine consists of elliptical, treadmill or some other machine (still no running). My knees aren't what they used to be either, so the thought of running makes them sore. If I had to guess, the last time I did something close to running was 5-10 years ago. And even then it was barely running - playing basketball with my sons in the driveway. 

I'm going to assume it has a lot to do with age. Congrats to those of you that are still able to run. 

I am 45 and after not really excersing much the past few years I decided to start running.  I used to run occasionally on a treadmill in my house but I hate it.  Running outside is much better.  For the past three weeks I have ran twice a week early morning before work for 2 miles.  

I'm 44.  Have recently started some light running (like couch to 5K stuff).  Never in my past was I a runner, but I have always kept in shape.  If you're asking about sprinting my 7 year old son asked me to race him last night. AND I WON.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a fast runner back in the day.  I didn't lose too many races, it was kind of what I was known for in school and what I used to advance in athletics.  Fast forward to my mid 40's, about 40 lbs over weight and knees made of plastic.  Few years ago my step daughter (19 at the time who is fast in her own right) always wanted to race me.  Finally, as the whole family was out on a trail walking, I motioned to her.  I started taking off slow, she matched me step for step.  I could see she was really proud of herself and just about at her top speed.  She started mouthing off "I knew I could beat you!".  Then I kicked it into overdrive and took off.  She yelled"holy ####", and the whole family kinda gasped as they had always heard my stories but never actually saw me run.  They were all smiles.  I still have it!  I felt good.  Until the next day and week after........

I'm 50 also.  Never have been a regular runner.  Ran last week for the first time in a few years.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  Give it a try.

I'm 50 also.  Never have been a regular runner.  Ran last week for the first time in a few years.  It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  Give it a try.
A week later and you've finally recovered enough to talk about it? 

I don't think my knees could take it. I spent about 6 hours yesterday replacing a window sill and doing some touch up painting around the exterior of our house. Some of the painting was from a ladder and the window sill was about a foot off the deck. (lots of crouching) My knees are still sore this morning. 

I should try swimming. Maybe a pair of those arm floaties or a lounge chair that holds my beer?

Actually, no. I hate running.

About 7 years my neighbor signed up for a half marathon and brought it up in conversation. Said she needed someone to run with. Seeing as I was overweight, and she was hot, I said: "Sure, why not?"

I was getting to be in a bad place. Drinking too much, eating terribly...I was going down a bad road. I started to run to change my lifestyle. Thanks to her she got me off my butt.

7 years later I've run 3 marathons, a dozen half marathons, and a couple of 5k's. I've lost about 24 pounds and kept it off. I no longer have to use cholesterol medicine. I have lost about an inch or two in belt sizes. I look and feel way younger than my 50 years.

I still hate to run. But I hate the guy I used to be more. So I keep running. 
Do you still run with her?

Are you married?  If yes, does the wife care?

I hate running. I think the "runner's high" is a myth that must come from eating too much granola and kale.  

I played basketball and baseball year round from age 5 through college.  I would run up and down the basketball court all day, play in multiple pickup games a day, and it never bothered me.  But whenever you did something bad in sports, running was the punishment.  After a basketball game we'd run suicides for every turnover we had.  In baseball we'd run basepath sprints for every error we made. Coach had a weird rule that if you picked up a still baseball by your glove you had to run a mile.  We'd start every practice with laps. etc. etc.  

So running never became an enjoyable thing, and I've always hated doing it.  Now I still hate it, but I'm trying to force myself to do it just because it's a cheap way to stay healthier, and I can go right out in the street (no going out of the way to a gym).  Running sucks though. 

Do you still run with her?

Are you married?  If yes, does the wife care?
Married - yes. Wife doesn't care. We are all good friends, so there never was or has been anything to worry about.

And not so much anymore. I am at a different place now in terms of what I need to do to run, and with everyone's kids schedules these days its hard to align times. So I'm pretty much solo at this point.

was just updating the running thread with this info... 

I'll be 49 in 10 days. Ran in high school then on and off some since then but your basic "weekend warrior" type athlete most of my life. I started really running again almost exactly 1 year ago. I've gone from 235 last July to 192-ish today and have run 1000+ miles over the last year. 

Ran 4 miles this morning.

45, male, heterosexual most of the time

Never a runner until about 15 years ago and started running some with some co-workers.  We did a couple of triathlons which I really enjoy.  I put on a bunch of weight and yo-yo’d for years.  Last 2 years finally got serious and running is a big part of my health and fitness plans at this point.  I have to run in locations that I enjoy (trials, lake, etc) or I get bored easily.  I still don’t consider myself a natural runner but compared with the average adult my age I’m doing pretty good.

was just updating the running thread with this info... 

I'll be 49 in 10 days. Ran in high school then on and off some since then but your basic "weekend warrior" type athlete most of my life. I started really running again almost exactly 1 year ago. I've gone from 235 last July to 192-ish today and have run 1000+ miles over the last year. 
Good job.  Any other life changes to get there, or just strictly running?

Does Tennis count, I run in short bursts, but haven't run long distances for at least 10 years.

50/white/undecided.

Having met @ChiefD earlier this year at a race, I can attest to this part. I thought it was late 30's/early 40s. Never would have guessed he is older than me.

A week later and you've finally recovered enough to talk about it? 

I don't think my knees could take it. I spent about 6 hours yesterday replacing a window sill and doing some touch up painting around the exterior of our house. Some of the painting was from a ladder and the window sill was about a foot off the deck. (lots of crouching) My knees are still sore this morning. 

I should try swimming. Maybe a pair of those arm floaties or a lounge chair that holds my beer?
You'd be surprised. I have had some back and knee issues over the years. Took some "sucking it up" to start but I feel light years better now than I have in forever and a day. 

I've been using a Peloton 3-4 times a week for the last 8 months or so instead of running but yesterday I took my son to his football practice and, instead of just sitting there for 2 hours, ran 3 miles around the track at about a 10 min/mile pace.  I'm sore as hell today but might run again this weekend.  I'm 50 and Male

Good job.  Any other life changes to get there, or just strictly running?
Running, some lifting, and better eating - no real "diet", just more deliberate in making better choices, eliminating 3rd helpings, not excessively indulging in junk, etc.

I took my son to his football practice and, instead of just sitting there for 2 hours, ran 3 miles around the track at about a 10 min/mile pace.  
This has helped me a ton doing this. With three kids in sports, I'm dropping kids off to something usually 3 times a week. And practices range from 1 hour to 2 hours. That is easy "me" time. I am helping with the kids (points with the wife) AND using the time to get in a workout. 

It makes me feel I'm not cheating the family by taking time away from them. Win-Win.

This has helped me a ton doing this. With three kids in sports, I'm dropping kids off to something usually 3 times a week. And practices range from 1 hour to 2 hours. That is easy "me" time. I am helping with the kids (points with the wife) AND using the time to get in a workout. 

It makes me feel I'm not cheating the family by taking time away from them. Win-Win.
My kids are all older and for the most part not around much.  :kicksrock:

You can take my kids to their sports if you want.
Deal. That's one of the things I miss the most. Whether it was boy scouts or flag football, I liked watching them grow up. 

I volunteered to coach their teams in the past. I should look to do that again. I may not run, but it would get me out and about. 

At my physical last week the doctor said I have Osgood-Schlatter in my right knee. There's bump under my right knee. Minimal activity cause inflammation for a couple of days.  

Deal. That's one of the things I miss the most. Whether it was boy scouts or flag football, I liked watching them grow up. 

I volunteered to coach their teams in the past. I should look to do that again. I may not run, but it would get me out and about. 
Now you are making this a depressing thread. I have 1 in college and the other is a senior in HS... while my wife and I have had fun being pseudo empty nesters, I miss them being smaller!

Now you are making this a depressing thread. I have 1 in college and the other is a senior in HS... while my wife and I have had fun being pseudo empty nesters, I miss them being smaller!
Sorry. Not my intentions.

Back to the conversation at hand. Anyone do water aerobics? Would I look like a creepy perv if I showed up in my speedo?

Sorry. Not my intentions.

Back to the conversation at hand. Anyone do water aerobics? Would I look like a creepy perv if I showed up in my speedo?
I actually started doing water aerobics, probably before actually running last year. But I was going with my wife and didn't wear a speedo so probably not too creepy. Even once I started running, I would go with her to class once or twice a week and run a couple times a week. Then I would also swim a few laps in the pool after the class was over.

Kind of forgot about that until you just posted that. It was definitely a nice way to "ease into" some of the workouts. Gave my knees and back some easier work than the pounding of running. Haven't done an aerobics class or swam laps in a while, however. 

42, ran sprints last week. 

Play basketball twice week in the winter, flag football in the spring. 

I used to run more but now I just do sprints and ride my bike. 

I still play basketball and do sprints on occasion. I was always pretty fast, I would always finish near the top when sprinting during practice (football, basketball, volleyball).

I just hate long distance running. I'd rather sprint or do HIIT. I'm impressed by the guys who run 20-30 miles a week because I don't think I ever could.

Users who are viewing this thread