What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OldFootballguys.com personal grooming (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
Never thought it would come to this. I’m not a hairy dude. Sure I would get a rogue hair from time to time. I would just pluck it and didn’t have to deal with it again for months. 

So what do you guys do in these 3 areas? 

A) Nose hair - I have this under control but I just purchased what must be my 5th nose/ear hair trimmer. Do they make a more durable metal version of these cheap ### things?

B) Ear hair -  what to do here? I don’t have a lot (yet) but I’m starting to worry a little about those short blond hairs, some people call it duck fur. I worry it will eventually grow thicker like you see on really old dudes. What’s the play? If I shave it - won’t it just grow back thicker? Do I wax it? [chewie] areeggghhhh [/chewy]

C) Eyebrows - This the big one. My only immediate concern.... my eyebrows. Do you guys just use scissors and sculpt them? Clippers with a number 2? Ask my barber? Let them come in like y’all fescue? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a hairy old man yet, but over the years when hairy old men are in the barber's chair before me, I've noticed the barber trimming both eyebrows and ear hair.  

In regards to the nose and ear hair--what @El Floppo said.  A small grooming trimmer is the way to go.  For the eyebrows--mine tend to be pretty full and tend to grow fast--so I get mine threaded.  Seems to work the best and last the longest for me. 

For me it snot the where as that is pretty much everywhere except, so far, my ears.  For me it is the what.  I now get what my wif4e and I refer to as Brundlefly hairs.  Remember Seth Brundle from the movie The Fly. One of his early symptoms of his change was growing think hairs the consistency of wire rather than hair.  Well more and more frequently I am sprouting Brundlefly hairs in my eyebrows and on my shoulders.  When my wife sees one she plucks it and then she shudders.

Oh, no other sign I may be changing into a fly.

Trimmer for my nose.  Have yet to find a "nice" one.  They all seem like crap.  Ear hair, I'm at the point where I get like 2 a month, so just been tweezing them as of now.  And my eyebrows only seem to grow long from one spot.  So my brows are fine with the exception of probably 5 hairs that grow to 2 inches.  I pluck those.  If I get them cut, them seem to be really thick.

Trimmer for my nose.  Have yet to find a "nice" one.  They all seem like crap.  Ear hair, I'm at the point where I get like 2 a month, so just been tweezing them as of now.  And my eyebrows only seem to grow long from one spot.  So my brows are fine with the exception of probably 5 hairs that grow to 2 inches.  I pluck those.  If I get them cut, them seem to be really thick.
Exactly, Brundlefly hairs.

Never thought it would come to this. I’m not a hairy dude. Sure I would get a rogue hair from time to time. I would just pluck it and didn’t have to deal with it again for months. 

So what do you guys do in these 3 areas? 

A) Nose hair - I have this under control but I just purchased what must be my 5th nose/ear hair trimmer. Do they make a more durable metal version of these cheap ### things? Not that I've found.  Just use them until they break and buy a new one.

B) Ear hair -  what to do here? I don’t have a lot (yet) but I’m starting to worry a little about those short blond hairs, some people call it duck fur. I worry it will eventually grow thicker like you see on really old dudes. What’s the play? If I shave it - won’t it just grow back thicker? Do I wax it? [chewie] areeggghhhh [/chewy] Growing back thicker is an old wives tale.  That said, my wife pulls these before I notice them.

C) Eyebrows - This the big one. My only immediate concern.... my eyebrows. Do you guys just use scissors and sculpt them? Clippers with a number 2? Ask my barber? Let them come in like y’all fescue?  I go to a salon, not a barber but the lady that does my hair started doing this without asking me.  Might have been the first time I felt old.  Now I can't stand it if they miss it and ask them to get it.

FYI - The reason hairs seem thicker when you cut them is because when you pull them, they grow from scratch and have a pointed tip and taper up.  When you cut them, the tip is the same width as the rest of the hair.

FYI - The reason hairs seem thicker when you cut them is because when you pull them, they grow from scratch and have a pointed tip and taper up.  When you cut them, the tip is the same width as the rest of the hair.
Exactly.  

A) Nose hair trimmed with a small scissors daily. 

B) Ear hairhit these with a trimmer every few days after my barber started doing it when i'd see him every 3-4 weeks. never paid attention to it until about 4-5 years ago when the barber asked if i wanted a trim around my ears...   i thought "yeah, isn't it standard? especially for hair this short?  i'm not a Beatle... i don't want mullet flaps on the side of my head hanging over my ears." then he fired up the gas powered trimmer and hacked through the fine/light/white colored bamboo shoots that had gathered in my ear. he had to change out the blade twice. since then i keep it clean and he still trims it for me when i go for a cut but the process is seconds instead of outpatient surgery.

C) Eyebrowsi've always had the thick, full eyebrows of a much older man. and they are wild so i try trimming the strays with a scissors. years ago i went to a barber who asked if i wanted an eyebrow trim. sure.. why not.  he tagged me with a #1 guard. i walked out of there looking like i'd leaned over an open grill flame. never again. thinking of trying one of these eyebrow threading places... but i'm also OK with how i look so the thought is fleeting.

Right.  How big are his nostrils that he's able to fit a clipper WITH A GUARD up his nose?!?!?  :confused:
Haha. "I said across her nose, not up it!"

I pull the outer part of each nostril up and toward the middle, so the hairs stick downward. Then I just trim whatever sticks out below.

ETA: Guard off for the nose. Guard on to go through the eyebrows, then off to trim off the top part of the eyebrows. Sorry for the confusion.

C) Eyebrowsi've always had the thick, full eyebrows of a much older man. and they are wild so i try trimming the strays with a scissors. years ago i went to a barber who asked if i wanted an eyebrow trim. sure.. why not.  he tagged me with a #1 guard. i walked out of there looking like i'd leaned over an open grill flame. never again. thinking of trying one of these eyebrow threading places... but i'm also OK with how i look so the thought is fleeting.
😂 I cackled way too loud at this. Guy next to me at the gas station gave me a sideways look. 

Yes, that’s the look I’m worried about having. 

I made the mistake of buying these once. I waited too long to open them otherwise I would have returned them. 

I threw them in the trash a full 45 seconds after using them. 

I yank them all out with my fingers.  Ears, nose, eyebrows. Its what I do to occupy myself when I'm alone at my desk or on the couch at home.  My barber also runs the clippers over my ears and eyebrows.

😂 I cackled way too loud at this. Guy next to me at the gas station gave me a sideways look. 

Yes, that’s the look I’m worried about having. 
the problem is there's really no test. once he starts in with the clippers... you're stuck and it's going to be a long, long time before they grow back to normal.

step carefully, is my advice.

tweezers

changed my life
No. Plucking.

The second reason it’s a bad idea to yank ’em out with your fingers involves what Dr. Oz refers to as the awesomely-named “triangle of death,” better known as the space between the nose and mouth. “You pick in that area, that triangle of death, and you run a real risk of that infection transcending the skin and going up to your brain,” he says.
:shrug:

I have something like this...an older model, but same idea.  Just pop on a different attachment as needed for various areas.  Seems to work OK...have had it a number of years without trouble.  My barber also takes on the eyebrows and to a lessor extent the ears when I visit him.  I am guilty of pulling out some nose hairs with my fingers from time to time when no one is looking.  Every now and then I'll get one that hurts like hell and it makes me sneeze and my eyes water.

I've heard about the triangle of death since I was a kid popping zits.  How many people have died from this?  I'd be willing to guess, that in the past 50 years, maybe fewer than 10.  Honestly, the Bermuda Triangle is a more serious triangle.
I just found that part humorous. The nose is a warm, moist filtering system that collects germs and other particles. You don't want to be making wounds (plucking) up in that petrie dish... :no:

I yank them all out with my fingers.  Ears, nose, eyebrows. Its what I do to occupy myself when I'm alone at my desk or on the couch at home.  My barber also runs the clippers over my ears and eyebrows.
For my nose, I do the same.  I brace myself because I know it's going to be painful, and then I aggressively yank the "spider leg" out.  Every now and again, one of the nose hairs will be white (99.8993% of the rest of my body's hair is black).  Is this because I'm getting older (44 in Dec 2019), or are the small cilia ones just getting bigger?

I have these weird hairs that grow on my ear lobes.  So annoying.  Basically every time I shave, I use a small little trimmer to hit the ears.  If I forget, I will sometimes find myself trying to pluck them out with my fingernails when I'm bored at work.  

So effing gross.  Getting old sucks.

I get my eyebrows trimmed whenever I get a haircut. Although one time I accidentally said "Could you trim my eyelashes?" and the girl was like, "Well, I guess can give it a shot........" and the next thing I know she's aiming the pointy end of a pair of scissors at my eyeball. Serves me right for letting myself get distracted by girls 20 years younger than me.

Yeah. Tough. I don’t have Eugene Levy brows but mine get trimmed with every haircut. Don’t want wild strays. Nose I use one of those ####ty groomers that make a sound like they work but don’t know how much they do. Always falling apart. No inner ear hair issue thank God. Such a bad look. I get the occasional hair on the ear lobe so I just gently shave the outside as precaution while shaving in the shower 

Personal grooming trimmer on the nose and ear hair as needed (usually 1-2 times a week).  Scissors for the eyebrows probably once a month and the occasional tweezer pluck for stray ones.  I’ve tried the trimmer on them and didn’t work great and I’m worried about screwing then up and looking like an even bigger doofus.

I use a trimmer like this about once a week for my nose hair. Works pretty well and you can just rinse it under water after use.  The one I have is probably 4 years old so I'm due for a new one.  When I get a random long hair I just pull it out.

I use the same Wahl trimmer and guard on my eyebrows that I use for my goatee.  Just trim them down short and sculpt the edges without the guard.  I used to pluck the long eyebrow hairs but that is a losing battle these days.

I use either trimmer for my ear hairs.

I use a trimmer like this about once a week for my nose hair. Works pretty well and you can just rinse it under water after use.  The one I have is probably 4 years old so I'm due for a new one.  When I get a random long hair I just pull it out.

I use the same Wahl trimmer and guard on my eyebrows that I use for my goatee.  Just trim them down short and sculpt the edges without the guard.  I used to pluck the long eyebrow hairs but that is a losing battle these days.

I use either trimmer for my ear hairs.
That’s the exact trimmer I have - works fine but I’m not an overly hairy dude 

My only immediate concern.... my eyebrows.
Simply put, seek professional help. Go to one of those long-legged women's waxing studios. They offer men's services, too. They see you coming a mile away and know you're a beginner. That's okay. New customers are expensive to obtain. They want you in there. After that just use your intuition to find someone cool to help you choose a waxer. And if you're both cool, you can probably negotiate a "first time's free" discount, and then just give her like 10 bucks cash after. Always tip cash because chicks love polite, thoughtful dudes. In all seriousness, the reason I am recommending this specific method of approach is because: If these 3 "problem areas" are on your radar, then odds are there are other areas you're overlooking. But that's a side benefit of seeking a pro, and also the reason you find someone cool to help choose your waxer; so you can develop that necessary trust. Otherwise sooner or later you're either going to circumvent any decision making and have the solution forced on you:

I go to a salon, not a barber but the lady that does my hair started doing this without asking me.  Might have been the first time I felt old.  Now I can't stand it if they miss it and ask them to get it.
Or you eventually end up trusting the wrong person and getting played:

i walked out of there looking like i'd leaned over an open grill flame
Recognizing the humor in the situation, I quote those posts with all due respect, as I have been in both of those situations before. Hopefully, so you don't have to.

Recognizing the humor in the situation, I quote those posts with all due respect, as I have been in both of those situations before. Hopefully, so you don't have to.
the lesson learned here is if the barber uses a butter knife and cold water for your haircut, he's 78 years old and speaks Greek fluently but not a lick of a language you two can agree on.. don't let him near your eyebrows.

As for hair control, this is what I do.

Top of ear hair: get it with my electric razor when doing beard upkeep

Eyebrows: I'm been turning 1 eyebrow into 2 since I was 20. That's pretty simple, quick swipe in the middle of my unibrow and boom, done. As for random eyebrow hairs that decide to get excessively long, I just cut 'em in half when trimming my beard with my electric razor. It isn't hard, and I only have to do it about once a month currently.

Nose hair: Maybe this is gross, but I'll just dig in and pull them out during my commute. I'm usually parked on the beltway, what else am I going to do?

And I think we've avoided one other area that has become concerning to me within the past few years. For some reason, my pubic hair, if left unchecked, will grow to be several inches in length now. When I was younger its upper limit was like half of what it is today. I whack that down with a separate beard trimmer, although I've considered letting it go and then putting corn rows, because that's possible. That however, isn't the main problem. The hair, in addition to lengthening, has begun creeping from the bush out onto the branch. If I let that go and didn't shave it off, I basically it'd look like I've got a gorilla finger dangling between my legs. For that, I handle it in the shower with soap and a safety razor. It is... suboptimal. Accidents are not uncommon. Any advice?

Whatever the case may be, I'm now convinced I have a yeti somewhere in my family tree.

And I think we've avoided one other area that has become concerning to me within the past few years. For some reason, my pubic hair, if left unchecked, will grow to be several inches in length now. When I was younger its upper limit was like half of what it is today. I whack that down with a separate beard trimmer, although I've considered letting it go and then putting corn rows, because that's possible. That however, isn't the main problem. The hair, in addition to lengthening, has begun creeping from the bush out onto the branch. If I let that go and didn't shave it off, I basically it'd look like I've got a gorilla finger dangling between my legs. For that, I handle it in the shower with soap and a safety razor. It is... suboptimal. Accidents are not uncommon. Any advice?
I use hair clipper with the guard on or if I'm feeling like taking a risk, with it off.  I don't get it close to the twig and berries though.  I've used different things there - scissors, trimmers but don't have a go-to.

Nose hair tube trimmer thing every week or so

Beard trimmer with no guard on the ears every so often between haircuts

Don't mess with the eyebrows but haircutter will trim them with scissors when I get a cut

I have a routine that I go through once a week that addresses all of these areas.  So far it seems to work good enough to keep my wife from helpfully pointing out any unwanted hair growth.

Eyebrows - I normally start out trimming my beard.  I have this trimming kit Wahl Groomsman and use a #1 on my beard.  Then I put on a #2 clip and trim my eyebrows against the grain with it.  I made the mistake of using the #1 on my eyebrows once.  Only once.  Never again.  I agree with previous posts that it looked like I burned them off.  Since then I stuck with the #2.  It doesn't trim them very close but I think it basically keeps the extra long brow hairs in check.  This trimmer has been good enough for me though the years.  I've had it for some time now.  I think there are better ones out there but not worth me purchasing a new one.

Nose & Ear - I have another Whal trimmer for that.  Wahl Micro Groomsman I use this to trim nose hairs, then I stick the nose hair trimmer in my ear.  I try to remember to do the ears first, then do the nose, then wipe it down with alcohol and a cotton swab (or cotton ball).  I don't always do it in the right order, but that is the plan.  This trimmer does the job but I agree with your assessment that I don't know of any really good ones.  This one has battery power and the first battery has lasted a long time (I think AAA lithium ion) but when it dies out I might look for another one.

So sometimes the micro trimmer doesn't exactly do the job on my nose hair.  If that is the case I will go back to the beard trimmer and put the attachment on that has like a 1/2" wide blade and use it on my nose hairs.  I honestly don't know if I even get bad ear hair, I kind of put the trimmer in my ear as preemptive trimming.

One more tip, my wife hates neck hair.  I have been using the Straight Scape to trim my neck hair in between cuts.  It took me a little practice to figure out how to use it effectively, but now that I have been using it for a while I like it and it works well.  Like I said, the routine I follow keeps my wife from 'commenting' which I think is the main goal in all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread