What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ketamine for chronic pain/depression? (1 Viewer)

cosjobs

Footballguy
I've been dealing with both for most of my life.

After preliminary research, I am intrigued by the alleged benefits.The cost seems crazy (~500/shot with 4-6 needed, intially) but no more that the prolo and stem cell therapies I've given a shot.

Has anyone done this clinically?

Is is still available on the street? Seems that would be a lot cheaper.

PM me, very familiar.

Wife works with group in San Antonio doing it.

eta - I PM'd you.  I believe infusions are the better way to go versus shots... but reach out to them and ask any questions you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for pm info.

anyone else have anything? anecdotal stuff from the beauty shop?
I've used it recreationally. It's a hellava drug. I've read quite a bit regarding treating depression with it and it makes sense. It makes you highly dissociative. 

Felt like I had to post in here... It does cause a dissociative state. In higher doses it causes tachycardia, hypertension, and hypersalivation. You can google and find a lot of studies about its use in depression and there are ketamine clinics around. It is used in the anesthesia world and has been around a long time. (We still use it a fair bit in our practice, mainly to help with pain control, although it can be used for inducing general anesthesia as well). It is known on the street as Special K and people used to steal it from veterinary clinics. PM me if you have more questions. 

I've used it recreationally. It's a hellava drug. I've read quite a bit regarding treating depression with it and it makes sense. It makes you highly dissociative. 
Yeah, I think my demographic pretty much missed out on using Ketamine recreationally.

I like drugs, my back is killing me and I'm pretty depressed. Sounds perfect. But the cost is really ridiculous. Especially after I've sunk thousands into alternative therapies already, looking to dodge back surgery.

Felt like I had to post in here... It does cause a dissociative state. In higher doses it causes tachycardia, hypertension, and hypersalivation. You can google and find a lot of studies about its use in depression and there are ketamine clinics around. It is used in the anesthesia world and has been around a long time. (We still use it a fair bit in our practice, mainly to help with pain control, although it can be used for inducing general anesthesia as well). It is known on the street as Special K and people used to steal it from veterinary clinics. PM me if you have more questions. 
What is your "practice?"

I’m an anesthesiologist in a university hospital. 
so this really is up your alley.

I guess most of my questions now would be determining if I could get it on the street and if so, how to best administer. And I imagine that's the kind of question you should really avoid, professionally.

I hate when our system makes a $10 dose $500

Ketamine Dreams said:
I know this is not your exact field, but you seem quite familiar. What do the "clinics" do besides administer the dose? Are they like a shaman or do they throw in a bunch of talk or cognitive therapy? Are they needed at all if one is comfortable with hallucinogenics and the like?

cosjobs said:
Yeah, I think my demographic pretty much missed out on using Ketamine recreationally.

I like drugs, my back is killing me and I'm pretty depressed. Sounds perfect. But the cost is really ridiculous. Especially after I've sunk thousands into alternative therapies already, looking to dodge back surgery.
I've only done it a handful of times, but would recommend trying it, at least once. I think it could be something very transformative for you. That being said, I don't know if you have an addictive personality, but it could probably lead to issues if not managed correctly.

Have you tried Gabapentin for your back? It has worked wonders for me when had a bulging disk. It's for nerve pain, but helps with sleep as well. 

Never tried it but I don't remember K being that expensive.   Seems like black market is probably the way to go if insurance doesn't cover it.  

Never tried it but I don't remember K being that expensive.   Seems like black market is probably the way to go if insurance doesn't cover it.  
I'm probably going to be at Little Woodrows in EaDo Fri/Sat watching the Astros.

cosjobs said:
looking to dodge back surgery.
Why?  Unless the surgery is experimental, you might want to go for it.  If you have it done here, I'll come and keep you company in the hospital.  You have time to schedule while the Astros are in the post-season.

Also, don't do street drugs.  You have no idea what the bleep is really in them.

This is a horrible and irresponsible suggestion.  Hopefully joking.

Why?  Unless the surgery is experimental, you might want to go for it.  If you have it done here, I'll come and keep you company in the hospital.  You have time to schedule while the Astros are in the post-season.

Also, don't do street drugs.  You have no idea what the bleep is really in them.
Back surgeries have a low success rate. It is shocking how often the thing they cut on isn't the problem in the first place. Surgery should be a last resort. 

Back surgeries have a low success rate. It is shocking how often the thing they cut on isn't the problem in the first place. Surgery should be a last resort. 
Doesn't that kind of depend on what surgery and what the problem is?  Also, depression can be made worse by pain.  Fixing the back might help lessen the depression.

Have you tried Gabapentin for your back? It has worked wonders for me when had a bulging disk. It's for nerve pain, but helps with sleep as well. 
I'm on this to manage day-to-day anxiety and I pass out at like 10:30pm most nights without issue.

I've been dealing with both for most of my life.

After preliminary research, I am intrigued by the alleged benefits.The cost seems crazy (~500/shot with 4-6 needed, intially) but no more that the prolo and stem cell therapies I've given a shot.

Has anyone done this clinically?

Is is still available on the street? Seems that would be a lot cheaper.
Good luck, Cos.

I have never done K, but I have done similar dissociatives. One risk that has not been mentioned yet is "unconscious redosing". I honestly doubt that it is an issue at therapeutic levels, but I have read of people that will continuously reuse while under the influence, without really meaning to. Perhaps the best known example of this is John Lilly - who I mentioned above.

This is a horrible and irresponsible suggestion.  Hopefully joking.
Yeah, you're probably right but if money is an issue and you can obtain pharma grade quality for a fraction of the price, why not?  I'm not talking about buying from some random but a trusted source.  It should be noted that I know very little about the substance just some folks who have used it recreationally without issue.   What makes me pause is all the crazy chemical compounds floating around out there and the current fentanyl crisis.  I'll sit this one out and defer to the experts.  

My 9yo son recently broke his arm. In the hospital when they were getting ready to re-set his arm, the doctor comes to me and says they are going to give him ketamine.

"Ketamine !?" I said. "The street drug??"

The doctor says well we use it in the hospital too. Anyway my kid looked happily out of it and pain free as he went through what was probably a very painful experience.

Now I want to try it.

Missed this thread the first time. My wife has been suffering from severe chronic pain since 1998. For the past several years, she has received regular Ketamine injections.

We live in Virginia. She currently goes every 3 weeks, and gets 3 successively higher dose injections each visit over the period of 4-5 hours. It is covered by insurance.

We moved to California in 2014 and lived there until 2018. We ultimately moved back because we found that it was not possible to find all of the treatments she had been getting in VA and NC. Ketamine was not a primary driver for moving back, but she did try Ketamine treatments there. They were extremely expensive, out of pocket, and the doses were so low as to be of no benefit.

Anyway, her experience with the treatment has been positive overall.

Users who are viewing this thread