What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gum recession and grafting surgery TAKE 2 (1 Viewer)

Wife has had this three times.  You are going in for round 4?  

Have you had to repeat any areas?  Dear here is may have to redo #1

Wife has had this three times.  You are going in for round 4?  

Have you had to repeat any areas?  Dear here is may have to redo #1
I've been doing 6/8 teeth at a time.  No need to redo, although there is one area on a few teeth where I don't think the graft took as well.  But my guy says it's still pretty good.

Never ever smoked unless you count less than 5 cigars a year. Really try to take care of my gums. Was warned years ago when a few areas got to be 2’s. Electric toothbrush plus floss every day. Now zero issues.  Good luck

Ugh. Timely topic. I've noticed lately that mine are starting to recede to a point I can see the discoloration of the tooth just under where the gum used to be. ####### hell, this getting old thing sucks.

I've had this done multiple times, have lost count, have another one scheduled in a few weeks. Not that old, just bad genetics and poor gum care when  I was younger.  It's a pain but not really a big deal for me.

I've had this done multiple times, have lost count, have another one scheduled in a few weeks. Not that old, just bad genetics and poor gum care when  I was younger.  It's a pain but not really a big deal for me.
Are you having it done to the same teeth multiple times?  I didn't realize that was going to be necessary.

Are you having it done to the same teeth multiple times?  I didn't realize that was going to be necessary.
I don't think so, although it's been over the course of like 20 years so not 100% sure. I had a few done about 20 years ago, a few 5 years ago and then a few interspersed along the way.

I don't think so, although it's been over the course of like 20 years so not 100% sure. I had a few done about 20 years ago, a few 5 years ago and then a few interspersed along the way.
Got it.  This #### ain’t cheap. 

Jmo, but I think toothbrushes & brushing habits are the primary culprit.  All of the bristles on my toothbrushes become hard in a very short time, and I always get soft bristles.  I don't know if it's the toothpaste, or the water, but they seem to get stiff.  I sometimes rub my teeth down with a washcloth in the shower and they seem much smoother.  I don't have gum issues but my wife has and I suspect it's due to over brushing.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Jmo, but I think toothbrushes & brushing habits are the primary culprit.  All of the bristles on my toothbrushes become hard in a very short time, and I always get soft bristles.  I don't know if it's the toothpaste, or the water, but they seem to get stiff.  I sometimes rub my teeth down with a washcloth in the shower and they seem much smoother.  I don't have gum issues but my wife has and I suspect it's due to over brushing.  
electric helps with over brushing

Is this a hereditary thing or something that just happens with age like farsightedness?  If the latter, around what age?  Im 43 and dentist hasnt said anything about the gums.  

Does everyone here get a checkup twice a year?

Is this a hereditary thing or something that just happens with age like farsightedness? 
Both my dentist and periodontist say it's really hard to pinpoint.  Could be some combination of factors like genetics, history of tobacco use, years of grinding my teeth while sleeping, etc.

Last week I got my dental implant done and on the very same day I complained that one of my upper molars hurt like crazy.  I mistook that pain for a loose crown.  Nope, it turned out that I needed to get a root canal.  So I had three different appointments with three different dentists last Thursday, implant put in at 9:00 am.  Root canal started at 2:00 PM, they finish up the root canal today.  

This on top of my wife getting a root canal last month and my son needs a root canal later this month.  We all three are super vigilant about taking care of our teeth, just bad luck I suppose, most definitely crap timing!

FFS - I get done with my root canal and the endodontist says “there’s a pocket at the base of this root here, see that?  Don’t get a crown on that tooth, that tooth might be broken there and that might get infected, I want to keep an eye on it.”  Awesome.

About 11 days out.  I don't think this one went very well.  Looks like the graft pulled back from the 4 center teeth, so now's there's a pocket there.  I'm not real happy.  Going in for suture removal tomorrow.

Black dotting this -- my mom had this done back in the day, and my gums are receding in the same location. Assume that this is somewhat hereditary.

Where do they take the tissue they are grafting to your gums from? And is this generally not covered by insurance as it's deemed elective/cosmetic?

Black dotting this -- my mom had this done back in the day, and my gums are receding in the same location. Assume that this is somewhat hereditary.

Where do they take the tissue they are grafting to your gums from? And is this generally not covered by insurance as it's deemed elective/cosmetic?
You can have the graft taken from the roof of your mouth or use allograft (cadaver tissue).  I use my own.  

My dental insurance covers it but it usually causes me to max out our annual benefit so I do have to pay some out of pocket.  

About 11 days out.  I don't think this one went very well.  Looks like the graft pulled back from the 4 center teeth, so now's there's a pocket there.  I'm not real happy.  Going in for suture removal tomorrow.
This happened on the wife maybe 2nd or 3rd one if I follow what you are saying.  It healed fine, ultimately, and if anything the best of all of hers.  She never did more than 4 teeth though at one time, however.

Had follow up this morning.  He said it’s fine and will close up.  Doesn’t look like it’s going to cover up all the root though. We’ll see.  

Users who are viewing this thread