What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best way to find a new job? (1 Viewer)

NajehHejan

Footballguy
Curious as to input from recent personal experience about the best way to find a new job? I keep hearing that it's a tight labor market - not enough people to fill jobs - but I've had no luck. I've mostly been using Glassdoor. A few other sites as well such as ziprecruiter. It seems stuff just goes into a black hole. I'm in the Supply Chain/Finance/Customer Service realm, and I see tons of jobs out there, just nothing catching on. I don't have a LinkedIn profile, and am paranoid to get one at this point, as it will be a surefire sign to my company that I'm looking, but maybe I just go for it (maybe a lack of one is holding me back?). Haven't found many recruiters in the Philly area either - how do you find a good headhunter? I'm sure this topic has been discussed lots before - just appreciate any recent help/advice. Need a change and a fresh start. Thanks.

Get a linked in profile.   It’s not a red flag anymore.  Everyone has one.  If...and they shouldn’t...but if they asked can you say that you heard it’s a good way to meet new clients?  

You may be losing out on those zip recruiter jobs bc you don’t have one. It’s easier for the bots to scan then formal resumes 

Good luck 

Get a linked in profile.   It’s not a red flag anymore.  Everyone has one.  If...and they shouldn’t...but if they asked can you say that you heard it’s a good way to meet new clients?  

You may be losing out on those zip recruiter jobs bc you don’t have one. It’s easier for the bots to scan then formal resumes 

Good luck 
This.

Also try using indeed.

I’m close to the same field and just got one after a month of spamming indeed and LinkedIn. Are you tailoring resume to position? Seconding suggestion to create LinkedIn profile.

My last 2 jobs came from unsolicited requests on LinkedIn. I can't imagine any position, other than hourly retail work, where having a LinkedIn profile isn't standard practice.

guess i should create a linked in profile.  I had one years ago but  I'm sure the account has been purged

guess i should create a linked in profile.  I had one years ago but  I'm sure the account has been purged
Maybe not. I still get work anniversary notices for a couple guys who have been dead for 5-6 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious as to input from recent personal experience about the best way to find a new job? I keep hearing that it's a tight labor market - not enough people to fill jobs - but I've had no luck. I've mostly been using Glassdoor. A few other sites as well such as ziprecruiter. It seems stuff just goes into a black hole. I'm in the Supply Chain/Finance/Customer Service realm, and I see tons of jobs out there, just nothing catching on. I don't have a LinkedIn profile, and am paranoid to get one at this point, as it will be a surefire sign to my company that I'm looking, but maybe I just go for it (maybe a lack of one is holding me back?). Haven't found many recruiters in the Philly area either - how do you find a good headhunter? I'm sure this topic has been discussed lots before - just appreciate any recent help/advice. Need a change and a fresh start. Thanks.
Update your resume (talk to @Anarchy99 if you'd like a pro to do it).  Get a good LinkedIn and then start applying.  I probably get a message a week from a recruiter for one company or another wanting to talk.

I agree with the LinkedIn comments.

Here’s a novel thought. Find some job postings from companies looking to hire, print out your resume on actual paper old school style, put on a suit, and go walk in their front door asking to talk to a hiring manager. If it’s a job related at all to customer service, they may love that.

Maybe not. I still get work anniversary notices for a couple guys who have been dead for 5-6 years.
:unsure:

I tried logging in and it said my email wasnt registered.   Now that I think about it my profile was probably from 15 years ago?

My last 2 jobs came from unsolicited requests on LinkedIn. I can't imagine any position, other than hourly retail work, where having a LinkedIn profile isn't standard practice.
We have one, but it's hardly a requirement as a federal attorney.

I'll echo what's been said: use Indeed and get a LinkedIn profile. There's no stigma just to have one, and they even have a feature where you can "flag" your profile as open to recruiters searching for candidates AND block your employer and recruiters from your company from being able to see you have that turned on.

For the LinkedIn profile, do you keep it open to the public/everyone?

Yes or no to a headshot?

I assume take one in a suit?

I agree with the LinkedIn comments.

Here’s a novel thought. Find some job postings from companies looking to hire, print out your resume on actual paper old school style, put on a suit, and go walk in their front door asking to talk to a hiring manager. If it’s a job related at all to customer service, they may love that.
Found the boomer

In your field it might work ok - if you upload a resume to indeed and work in the IT industry prepare for a flooded inbox of all sorts of crap job deals that you would be wasting your time to pursue. And if they get a phone number prepare to get calls from people you can't understand a word they are saying. These people get paid by just submitting a name - they are desperate. It's really useless.

Find out if there are local/state level professional groups that get together - societies, user groups etc and attend there and network. In your current job is there a software that you are using that handles your supply chain? Find out if they have a users group or a software company meetup. Find those companies on Linked in and follow them. You'll get posts from people in your feed that will actively seek applicants that way.Has to be several national headhunting firms that specialize in supply chain. Follow them on Linked In and get in their DB.

After you setup your LinkedIn profile (unless your company is like 5 people, probably 80% of your co-workers already are on there), start searching for supply chain/finance recruiters in your general work location. You'll likely find plenty of options and then can reach out to those recruiters directly through LinkedIn. Tell them you're interested in learning about new potential opportunities for yourself and you'll get some quick traction that way. Something can definitely materialize that way.

And then maybe not immediately, but before long you'll start getting contacted proactively as opportunities come up. 

LinkedIn is damn near everything when it comes to looking for a new position.

After you setup your LinkedIn profile (unless your company is like 5 people, probably 80% of your co-workers already are on there), start searching for supply chain/finance recruiters in your general work location. You'll likely find plenty of options and then can reach out to those recruiters directly through LinkedIn. Tell them you're interested in learning about new potential opportunities for yourself and you'll get some quick traction that way. Something can definitely materialize that way.

And then maybe not immediately, but before long you'll start getting contacted proactively as opportunities come up. 

LinkedIn is damn near everything when it comes to looking for a new position.
I think we get a small case of tunnel vision being in NYC. As I started my search, I probably had 10 recruiters reach out within 24 hours. When I told them I needed to focus on Rochester/Syracuse area...crickets. I was referred to a couple of recruiters upstate (Robert Half offices and the like), but they were finance folks (CPA, not bookkeeping). 

That being said, Philly should be saturated as well. LinkedIn is critical.

Users who are viewing this thread