What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just hit a deer (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Living where I do, I knew it was only a matter of time.  Driving into work, going through Valley Forge National Park about a two minutes away from my office.  Just driving the speed limit with cars behind me and in front of me.  Never saw it coming.  One second I'm driving along then *BAM*, this huge animal is bouncing off the front of my car.  Scared the #### out of me.  

I was sure the whole front end of my car was going to smashed, but amazingly it didn't do a lot of damage.  I mean, it's a car, so it'll be thousands of dollars because he touched almost every panel.  But it doesn't look like I hit a deer at 35 mph.  Broken grill, bent quarter panel and some scratches along the hood and lights.  

He got up and ran away, although I can't imagine he survives.  ******* didn't even stick around to exchange insurance.

I hit one last December. He bounced 20 feet in front of the car, scrambled to his feet, looked at me for a second and then wobbled over to the side of the road and died. Damage to my Elantra was over $5k. And I still have paranoia on my 25 mile commute, a lot of it through the woods.

I hit one last December. He bounced 20 feet in front of the car, scrambled to his feet, looked at me for a second and then wobbled over to the side of the road and died. Damage to my Elantra was over $5k. And I still have paranoia on my 25 mile commute, a lot of it through the woods.
Username checks out.

Yes.  I've had so many close calls that I've had the paranoia even before hitting one.  The most damage to my car is the side by the wheel.  He bounced off the front bumper and whipped around like a trebuchet crushing my wheel well.  

We're a month out from the peak of deer/car collisions.  Deer sexy time is almost upon us.  

Username checks out.

Yes.  I've had so many close calls that I've had the paranoia even before hitting one.  The most damage to my car is the side by the wheel.  He bounced off the front bumper and whipped around like a trebuchet crushing my wheel well.  
I live on a windy road in the "mountains" with 1,000s of deer. I've come very close a few times to hitting one, and it's always on my mind.

I live on a windy road in the "mountains" with 1,000s of deer. I've come very close a few times to hitting one, and it's always on my mind.
Yeah.  PA is one of the best states to live in if you ever wanted to hit a deer with your car.  Usually ranked in the top 3 to 5.  

A real man would have tracked him down in the woods and finished the job with his bare hands.
Drove by a cop plugging one in the neck on the way home from work. Put it out of its misery. Kinda sad. I made a U-turn and said "Are you gonna eat that?" I felt like Brooks in Shawshank. 

I'm from Wisconsin. Don't judge. And I didn't really say that. I just thought it was odd, but, apparently standard OP.

Drove by a cop plugging one in the neck on the way home from work. Put it out of its misery. Kinda sad. I made a U-turn and said "Are you gonna eat that?" I felt like Brooks in Shawshank. 

I'm from Wisconsin. Don't judge. And I didn't really say that. I just thought it was odd, but, apparently standard OP.
I grew up on a farm and kind of agree with the cop there.  If an animal is suffering and won't make it, end it.

But yeah, definitely eat what you can.

Deer on the road scare the #### out of me now. About 12 years ago, a buddy of mine hit one while riding his sport bike at triple digit speed. The deer dropped in the road, but my pal kept going. He eventually landed in a ditch, but walked out after some time to gather his thoughts. After a doc visit, he was pronounced alive and ok.

The deer bit it. Quickly.

I no longer do the bike thing, but even in my truck, they have an irrational place in my mind now.

Glad that you are ok, Sheik.

At lunch, I drove back right past where the collision happened.  No sign of the deer and no buzzards flying over head anywhere.  Maybe that jerk survived.

But as I approached the spot in my car, I kept waiting for another one to come flying out in front of me.  Something tells me it's going to take a while to get over that.

At lunch, I drove back right past where the collision happened.  No sign of the deer and no buzzards flying over head anywhere.  Maybe that jerk survived.

But as I approached the spot in my car, I kept waiting for another one to come flying out in front of me.  Something tells me it's going to take a while to get over that.
Sheik, I just hit my first at the end of July. Went back the next day and he was laying by the road. Took a picture for insurance proof. 

I got to drive a Nissan Altima rental  for like 4 weeks while they were fixing my car and put like 2K miles on that thing. 

Always more than one. Remember that. 

Always more than one. Remember that. 
Yup.  I mean, again, living where we do, we know all of the rules for deer on the roadway.  This guy was by himself.  This time of the year, VF starts to mow down all of the high grass in the fields they let grow all summer.  I noticed that the area he came out of is one of the few remaining spots that hasn't been mowed down.  So it makes sense as to why I didn't see him coming.  

I've had so many close calls that I was way overdue to hit one.  

Living where I do, I knew it was only a matter of time.  Driving into work, going through Valley Forge National Park about a two minutes away from my office.  Just driving the speed limit with cars behind me and in front of me.  Never saw it coming.  One second I'm driving along then *BAM*, this huge animal is bouncing off the front of my car.  Scared the #### out of me.  

I was sure the whole front end of my car was going to smashed, but amazingly it didn't do a lot of damage.  I mean, it's a car, so it'll be thousands of dollars because he touched almost every panel.  But it doesn't look like I hit a deer at 35 mph.  Broken grill, bent quarter panel and some scratches along the hood and lights.  

He got up and ran away, although I can't imagine he survives.  ******* didn't even stick around to exchange insurance.
they are real active now & on the move as it is Fall & rut approaching.

My younger brother was driving about 10 years ago in our neighborhood in Texas.  Nice spring night, so he had the window down.  He was only doing about 25 mph, but a deer came running out of the woods, and when it saw his car, tried to hop over it.  The deer's head smacked right into my brother's face.  Not much damage to the car, but he had a swelled up head and a purple eye.  

Thinking back, it was a lot funnier when it happened to someone else. 

I hit a deer many years ago. There was a bunch of them on a country road. It was late, was cranking music, sober but not paying super close attention. Tried to swerve but hit the last one, landed on my windshield - I can still bring that image in my head like it was yesterday- if it had gone through the windshield that would have a major disaster - but it rolled over my car into a driveway. Was almost home so just drove home and called the cops.

Lots of these stupid animals in Ohio.  Had many close calls over the years then about 10 years ago I hit the biggest one I've ever seen.  Looked like one you see on a magazine cover. 

I was on 2nd shift and running late for work so I took the backroad I can do 70 on.  While on a stretch where the woods is only a few feet from the road it just popped out.  I didn't even have time to break.  I had an 02' Accord at the time so I just hit the legs.  That caused its ### to hit the hood which made it fly over my car.  Sunroof was open.  It seemed like I was in slow motion watching it happen.

I stopped, looked at the mangled front end of my car and started walking back.  It had flown into the weeds on the other side of the road. I was walking on that side of the road now.  All of a sudden it gets up and is staring at me.  It's maybe 50 feet from me. 

It then starts kind of limping back across the road where it came from and right before it gets back into the woods it turns and starts sprinting in the direction of my car.  I ran into the woods on my side of the road lol.  It then slams into the back of my car.  Then it ran off.  I stood there in complete shock, mouth open and hands in the air.

$4k in damage and I haven't driven down that road since.  I still think about what could of happened had I been driving slower.  Antlers through my face doesn't sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread