What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (2 Viewers)

I know I’m getting spoiled when the Caps win again and yet I’m left feeling a little ho-hum because Ovie didn’t score and Wilson didn’t tangle with Reaves. 2 more points for Carlson though, who’s tied with Marchand for #3 in the league 

Kal El said:
Lightning earn a Stockholm Sweep this afternoon, finally looking like the team they were in the regular season last year. Here's hoping they keep it going all the way through June.

Side note: it's pretty cool that they played both team's respective goal horns when they scored, even though it was technically a "home and home" set there. Since it's a neutral site, that makes the most sense to me to do.
Maybe this is what gets them going. They looked good both games. 

The_Man said:
I know I’m getting spoiled when the Caps win again and yet I’m left feeling a little ho-hum because Ovie didn’t score and Wilson didn’t tangle with Reaves. 2 more points for Carlson though, who’s tied with Marchand for #3 in the league 
Wilson definitely wasn’t the person Reavo should have been tangling with last night. 

Blackhawks with 5 of 6 possible points, yet give up 57 shots to the Leaves. Pretty fun game at the UC last night. Lehner working out nicely.

Ironic as it's Remembrance Day and he's a huge supporter of veterans.  Of course, the firing basically stemmed from him referring to immigrants as "you people" on Saturday's CC.

I suspect Burke will be in his chair on Saturday.

Up here it's almost a bigger deal than our PM and his black face fiasco.

The 85-year-old stands by his comments. Cherry told the Toronto Sun, "I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers."
real edgey

The game passed Cherry by 20 years ago, agree or disagree with today's decision but that's why he should have been let go years ago. 

Seems rather a harsh punishment IMO.  Canada is way too politically correct.
Canada is a way younger country than the United States or most other countries in the world. The majority of people in the country are within a couple generations of immigrating here (and Canada only shares a border with the US so the immigration is all legal and encouraged), so the "you people" and immigration discussion is maybe a lot different here than in the United States, for example. 

The whole thing is so stupid. All he had to do is say everyone should respect the veterans/troops and wear a poppy. But he specifically went after the most diverse parts of the country and stuck to his guns. 

The game passed Cherry by 20 years ago, agree or disagree with today's decision but that's why he should have been let go years ago. 
well no kidding, and it was highly entertaining.  he’s a living breathing parody and it was great.  

I think Canadians are just embarrassed that he’s kind of the ambassador of their hockey media dying a slow inevatible death over the last 20 years just like the country’s dominance in the sport.  I suggest you all just see a shrink and enjoy guys in loud suits saying crazy #### for what they are.  way to go Canada, you blew it.

Huh. I don't have too much of substance or thoughts on Cherry other than to say he always seemed like a nativist kind of guy, which manifested itself in weird commentary and especially distorted his view of hockey, like when he couldn't accept Zetterberg as captain of the Red Wings when they won the Cup with him. He said something like Detroit didn't like that team because they liked "rock 'em sock 'em" hockey, and the Europeans didn't play that way.

I'm almost inclined to agree with Brasky, though. It was always at least something to pay attention to and manufacture outrage about.

End of an era. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Link to Don Cherry's segment that got him axed.

Seems rather a harsh punishment IMO.  Canada is way too politically correct.
I get something should have been done but after watching that I think a week off was more than enough. 

I mean Canada just elected a guy Prime Minister who wore black face multiple time and played grab ### with female reporters.  What is worse?

I don't know what the hell is going on with Granlund in Nashville but if Guerin can sign him for $4-5MM this offseason I will rethink all opinions on Fenton with that genius long con.

I get something should have been done but after watching that I think a week off was more than enough. 

I mean Canada just elected a guy Prime Minister who wore black face multiple time and played grab ### with female reporters.  What is worse?
The guy who did the racist thing last week and refused to apologize or fathom the fact he might be wrong is worse than the guy who did the racist thing 20 years ago, apologized multiple times and clearly knows he was wrong and has changed. HTH. 

Edit - and I don't love Trudeau, this is just a terrible whatabout that people want to jump to. 

The guy who did the racist thing last week and refused to apologize or fathom the fact he might be wrong is worse than the guy who did the racist thing 20 years ago, apologized multiple times and clearly knows he was wrong and has changed. HTH. 

Edit - and I don't love Trudeau, this is just a terrible whatabout that people want to jump to. 
I did not hear Cherry mention any race in that clip.  Was it after?

tying sports with patriotism and the military shukes me, tbh.  i respect what the troops do, don’t get me wrong, but why do we continue with national anthems?  why is every commercial about how nfl players love the military, write letters to soldiers, etc?  i come to watch this nonsense for 3 hours of entertainment and to get away from real life stuff.  that’s just me.  what does wearing a poppy have to do with anything remotely NHL related?  and if he’s specifically talking aboot an 18 yr old fresh off the boat from finland, maybe that kid has no idea what the heck a poppy means.  

It's a Canadian tradition to wear poppies on Veteran's/Remembrance Day. That would explain the random people I saw selling flowers around the holiday in Michigan growing up.
It's not just Canadian, there is a tradition in the US as well albeit more for Memorial Day than Veteran's Day.

“In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

It's not just Canadian, there is a tradition in the US as well albeit more for Memorial Day than Veteran's Day.

“In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
That's interesting. I never actually heard of that tradition growing up, just the remembering/honoring of veterans depending on the day. My grandpa served in the late 50s- early 60s, as a telegraph installer, and he wasn't a huge fan of the experience, IIRC. I think he didn't like his CO or something. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

I did not hear Cherry mention any race in that clip.  Was it after?
It’s implied by the cities/areas of Toronto he’s talking about vs. the good people in small towns. Us v. Them is his whole shtick though. I know some people like that divisive BS but I won’t miss it. 

It’s implied by the cities/areas of Toronto he’s talking about vs. the good people in small towns. Us v. Them is his whole shtick though. I know some people like that divisive BS but I won’t miss it. 
please don't lump typical 85 year old dumb xenophobic comments in with appreciation for eccentric loud mouth old school hockey guy shtick.  try to be a little more inclusive before criticizing shtick.  hockey shtick is for everyone.

I will be even stronger--I think Trudeau is a complete disgrace and unqualified to be PM.  I despise him but I wasn't one of the people calling for his head over his costume from ~20 years ago.  Lots of things he's done recently to skewer him on though.

And to call Don Cherry's remarks racist is to be an overly sensitive snowflake.  Canada is turning into a milquetoast country where they won't take any action for fear of offending someone.  It's certainly evident in the downturn of our hockey domination.  

Canada is turning into a milquetoast country where they won't take any action for fear of offending someone.  It's certainly evident in the downturn of our hockey domination.  
:lmao:   :lmao:

Or maybe a generation of Canadians was still trying to run players through boards and beat the piss out of everyone because Don Cherry said it was cool in his videos, while the Americans and Europeans were a decade plus into puck skills programs, half ice minor leagues etc, etc, actually improving how they play from the lower levels up. 

Everyone plays the way of the Fedorov's and Bure's and Selanne's of years past that he railed against, oh no and they celebrate goals too! Cherry couldn't see the way the game was going and it completely passed him by. 

He was out of touch 15 years ago when he was responsible for a junior team that won 17 out of 224 games over three years. Literally the worst OHL teams ever he was at the head of. No Europeans on them though, so he made his political points. Too bad he can't stick to sports amiright.

Interestingly Grapes had an interview today with CBC (I believe ) and said he wasn't given the option to come on and apologize and if he would have he would say I'm sorry.

Seems to me they gave maclean that chance so maybe they got the opportunity they were looking for to relieve him and took it.

:lmao:   :lmao:

Or maybe a generation of Canadians was still trying to run players through boards and beat the piss out of everyone because Don Cherry said it was cool in his videos, while the Americans and Europeans were a decade plus into puck skills programs, half ice minor leagues etc, etc, actually improving how they play from the lower levels up. 
You got the sarcasm in my post but there is some truth to the fact that I see Canadians tripping over themselves to be so politically correct so as to not offend anyone.  It's quite amazing IMO  and happens because Canadians think they're doing the right thing but IMO, they're not.  Anyway, I don't want to hijack this discussion anymore than we have; let's get back to the discussion of player headshots.

Guess I should also add that I'm not disappointed that he's gone. It's too bad he goes out like Pete rose. 

Grapes was a true supporter of minor hockey. Not lip service.  When my son was in minor midget and played in a Toronto tournament  , Cherry was there. Took photos with the kids too. He also loves this country and you have to admire that. It's sad he goes out like this.

Guess I should also add that I'm not disappointed that he's gone. It's too bad he goes out like Pete rose. 

Grapes was a true supporter of minor hockey. Not lip service.  When my son was in minor midget and played in a Toronto tournament  , Cherry was there. Took photos with the kids too. He also loves this country and you have to admire that. It's sad he goes out like this.
Right--playing the devil's advocate, they fired him for saying people should support the Canadian military.  Oh the horror.  

Right--playing the devil's advocate, they fired him for saying people should support the Canadian military.  Oh the horror.  
If he "people should wear poppies and support the military" he'd still be on the air. For the record I don't think this particular thing he said was that outrageous by his own standards of sitting on his pulpit and punching down but it's been years and years coming and with all he's said over the years, he lost the benefit of the doubt decades ago. 

makar is so freaking good

Trying to decide about Schiefele hit on frankie.

Werner goes into the game 30 seconds in and proceeds to shutout the jets.

I can't remember when colorado was healthy.  Seems like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread