What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (1 Viewer)

@NHLPlayerSafety: Tampa Bay’s Erik Cernak will have a hearing Tuesday for Elbowing Buffalo’s Rasmus Dahlin.

Babcock protege Peters now getting accused of calling a player the N word...something tells me there will be more stories to come 

Last edited by a moderator:
Babcock now getting accused of calling a player the N word...something tells me there will be more stories to come 
@DarrenDreger: NHL head office has been in contact with the Calgary Flames over allegations directed at head coach Bill Peters. Further discussions expected today.

As if 'gary needs more problems 

Akim Aliu had so much talent but could never get out of his own way. Peters was already arguably on the hot seat in Calgary, this could be the last straw. 

Peters probably was close to getting fired anyway.  looks like an easy out just fell in their laps.

Edit- oops, novo already made the same post

I really hate the Wild. They can't even lose right. Losing inevitably in OT so they get a point. And even though I want them to tank, you still end up getting frustrated by how bad they are and when they lose. They're unwatchable. And I've always liked Boudreau, but I'm done with him now too. If you put Ryan Suter on the ice in OT, you deserve to be fired. It's really that simple. There's always been gossip around the Twin Cities that Suter gets to make all the lineup decisions because of how tight he is with the owner. I've never bought any of that, but I'm starting to wonder. There's no other explanation for putting him out there in OT. He's so slow. No wonder they have the worst OT winning percentage in the league during the 3-on-3 era. Only six more years (or whatever it is) of him. Should be fun. They are going to be the laughingstock of the league for the entire 2020s. Too bad they'll ruin Guerin's career. Not his fault. And nothing he can do to fix it. Oh well, shouldn't have applied for the job.

Shameless plug here-

My two sons had been involved in a local hockey podcast here in N Florida. They started their own podcast and were approached by hockeypodnet to take over an orphan team...

So they're covering the Winnipeg Jets from several thousand miles away. Only tie to the team is the local ECHL Jax IceMen are a Jets affiliate. 

They're the gritper60 pod if you're so inclined.

@hockeypodnet: Grit/60 Podcast - EP17 - S1 
@gritper60pod

APPLE https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/winnipeg-jets-grit-60-podcast-ep17-s1/id1280221048?i=1000457784349
SPOTIFY https://open.spotify.com/episode/5EclvpjME8k5a3SnQfIHSY
SOUNDCLOUD https://soundcloud.com/thehockeypodcastnetwork/winnipeg-jets-grit60-podcast-ep17-s1

NEW EPISODES: Monday & Thursday at http://thehockeypodcastnetwork.com or WHEREVER you get your #podcasts from! 🏒🎙️ 

#GoJetsGo

I really hate the Wild. They can't even lose right. Losing inevitably in OT so they get a point. And even though I want them to tank, you still end up getting frustrated by how bad they are and when they lose. They're unwatchable. And I've always liked Boudreau, but I'm done with him now too. If you put Ryan Suter on the ice in OT, you deserve to be fired. It's really that simple. There's always been gossip around the Twin Cities that Suter gets to make all the lineup decisions because of how tight he is with the owner. I've never bought any of that, but I'm starting to wonder. There's no other explanation for putting him out there in OT. He's so slow. No wonder they have the worst OT winning percentage in the league during the 3-on-3 era. Only six more years (or whatever it is) of him. Should be fun. They are going to be the laughingstock of the league for the entire 2020s. Too bad they'll ruin Guerin's career. Not his fault. And nothing he can do to fix it. Oh well, shouldn't have applied for the job.
seems like giving away two sure points would be ideal if you want them to tank?  I said it earlier in the thread after their start that tanking just isn't in the cards, they're a middle of the pack team that should finish in the high 80s in points and get a pick outside the top 10.  the only real rental they have is Koivu and he controls it with a NMC so the roster isn't getting gutted.  and they play pretty much the rest of the year at home so it's not going to get any better on the tanking front.  they've been the worst team in OT since 3v3 started and that's with several different coaches, not just Boudreau.  when Boudreau says he's only going youth and speed he still can't help himself like in Boston and throw Parise out there and let Krug just walk right down broadway, but they've never known how to play it well and their main vets that have typically gotten that ice time have never been a good fit for that format.  but again, if you want them to tank, this is good because they leave a ton of points on the table.

Fenton didn't do them any favors with positioning for the future but in his wake there are some positives.  Fiala flipped a switch three weeks ago and has been their best player (and a big reason they are on a 7 game point streak).  he finally got rid of all the awful turnovers and is making the smart plays and finishing/making plays at the other end.  he looks like the guy before the leg break and is only 23.  Hunt is a solid bottom pairing/power play D that they should be able to hold on to fairly cheap for several years and Hartman is as good of a bottom 6 player they've had.  pipeline is very thin still though and despite the trades they didn't add extra picks.  not a desirable position but not suck for a decade hyperbole.  and again, probably not the worst thing since you're loading up with top picks in that scenario.  it should be called the Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA model and results in cups.  if Guerin is going to be a good GM then this rebuild on the fly scenario he's been handed is a pretty good test. 

They are throwing Francis under the bus about Peters here.  Not a Francis fan but he didn't cross the line with the players Peters did.  

@charlieo_conn: I don't know if there even could have been an acceptable apology that Bill Peters could have given, in the sense of him deserving to keep his job. But the one he did deliver was decidedly Not That.

@Kurt_BSH: Flyers hadn't won a game on Thanksgiving Eve(?) since 2011. Go get drunk, everyone.

@Kurt_BSH: 2011 was also the last time the Flyers entered Thanksgiving in a playoff spot, which they will after tonight's win.

Folks?

Lightning blew a 3-1 lead

Now at 675, Ovie begins the countdown to 700, somewhere only 7 players have ever gone 

Ovie with the hat trick, including a pair of empty netters which is very Ovie. It’s a little funny to see how much this guy still loves scoring goals. 

From Twitter:

Alex Ovechkin's goal-scoring  consistency:

2005-06 to 2011-12: 339 goals in 553 games (0.61 GPG)

2012-13 to 2019-20: 339 goals in 559 games (0.61 GPG)

Career: 678 goals, in 1,112 games (0.61 GPG)

Ovechkin's 339 goals from 2005-06 to 2011-12 were most in the NHL. Ilya Kovalchuk was second with 298.

Ovechkin's 339 goals from start of 2012-13 also are most in NHL. John Tavares has second most with 245.

Ovie with the hat trick, including a pair of empty netters which is very Ovie. It’s a little funny to see how much this guy still loves scoring goals. 

From Twitter:

Alex Ovechkin's goal-scoring  consistency:

2005-06 to 2011-12: 339 goals in 553 games (0.61 GPG)

2012-13 to 2019-20: 339 goals in 559 games (0.61 GPG)

Career: 678 goals, in 1,112 games (0.61 GPG)

Ovechkin's 339 goals from 2005-06 to 2011-12 were most in the NHL. Ilya Kovalchuk was second with 298.

Ovechkin's 339 goals from start of 2012-13 also are most in NHL. John Tavares has second most with 245.
Complete with a clown move/cheap shot by Dylan Larkin on the second empty netter:  https://www.nhl.com/capitals/video/ovechkin-completes-the-hat-trick/t-277443292/c-4723463

Now just imagine the internet today if that was say, Marchand doing that to Crosby after the goal.  Hoo boy.   

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Today at 5 p.m. ET is the deadline for NHL RFAs to be signed in order to be eligible to play in the league this season. This would include Jesse Puljujarvi (EDM) and Julius Honka (DAL).

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Neither Puljujarvi nor Honka are interested in signing with the clubs that currently retain their rights. It’s my understanding there is no chance EDM will trade Puljujarvi’s rights before today’s deadline, but DAL is working on the possibility of trading Honka.

Lightning still struggling to string together wins, especially at home on Saturday nights. They're playing streaky, which I'm not used to seeing after last season, but they're going to have to fix the problem if they want to make the playoffs.

@AP_Sports: The New Jersey Devils have fired coach John Hynes two months into the season. 

GM Ray Shero announced the move roughly 20 minutes before Hynes was to speak to the media ahead of Tuesday’s game. 

http://apne.ws/CF4Jfwp

Wild on a 10 game point streak, two points above .500,  and after this road trip have already played half their road games for the season.  they might just accidentally take a wild card which I guess is better than a less than 5% shot at a top 3 pick.

Spurgeon breaking his hand isn't great but Soucy has been earning a bigger role anyway and Seeler/Pateryn are competent and can be showcased for a trade.

John Carlson with a goal and 2 assists last night

Defensemen with 40 points before their team's 30th game:

Orr: 55 (1974-75)
Orr: 52 (1973-74)
Orr: 45 (1970-71)
Orr: 45 (1971-72)
Orr: 41 (1969-70)
Al MacInnis: 41 (1990-91)
Denis Potvin: 40 (1975-76)
Carlson: 40 (2019-20)

Bobby Orr was good at the hockey. Don't know what happened in 1972-73, though

Sorry I’ve been away guys, still celebrating that game tying Vegas goal with .3 left. 

Also going to hate seeing Evander get suspended again. 

Users who are viewing this thread