What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (4 Viewers)

Kreider’s money was said to be front loaded, and no details yet on the NMC stuff. Hoping it’s just a partial but like the move overall. A little worried how he’ll look in 4 years with his style of play but if he can closely replicate his current production over that time, it’s a win. 

Kreider’s money was said to be front loaded, and no details yet on the NMC stuff. Hoping it’s just a partial but like the move overall. A little worried how he’ll look in 4 years with his style of play but if he can closely replicate his current production over that time, it’s a win. 
I'm mainly concerned because signing Kreider, coupled with Panarin in his prime, Mika the best contract in the NHL, Igor and Fox on ELCs, means we SHOULD be able to make a run at it now, but CAN'T because of the massive massive massive amount of "dead"/dead cap space next year tied up in Hank, Smith, Staal, Shattenkirk's buy out.  When almost 30% of your cap space is tied up in that - good luck supplementing the roster that isn't currently quite good enough to hang with the big boys, but will also likely be losing some RFAs this summer.

I'm mainly concerned because signing Kreider, coupled with Panarin in his prime, Mika the best contract in the NHL, Igor and Fox on ELCs, means we SHOULD be able to make a run at it now, but CAN'T because of the massive massive massive amount of "dead"/dead cap space next year tied up in Hank, Smith, Staal, Shattenkirk's buy out.  When almost 30% of your cap space is tied up in that - good luck supplementing the roster that isn't currently quite good enough to hang with the big boys, but will also likely be losing some RFAs this summer.
It’s all valid but I can’t see them doing this if they didn’t have a reasonable plan in place. Certainly fair to question individual moves under Gorton’s tenure but his overall strategy/approach to rebuilding has been damn solid. 

It’s all valid but I can’t see them doing this if they didn’t have a reasonable plan in place. Certainly fair to question individual moves under Gorton’s tenure but his overall strategy/approach to rebuilding has been damn solid. 

with $24mm tied up in skjei, staal, smith and lundqvist, the next 2 years may be tough to really go for it.  buy out of lundqvist and possibly moving 2/3 of those bad D contracts would help.  also, fast, Lemieux, strome and D'Angelo are UFA and RFA, creating more flux.  rangers need to stabilize the future.  miller, nils, hajek and kravtsov are floating around too.  kakko needs to step up.  the goal is to get good players in this league and kreider is a solid top 6.  I am not thrilled with the $$ or length, but teams are getting creative on the back end of these deals if need be.  6.5mm a year is moveable somewhere. 

Doesn't feel like we netted the high end young offensive talent that we needed to during this sell off period.  It's been all young defensemen and bottom 6 guys.  1 more sell off, then a consolidation of assets to try to improve that top 6 with 1 more ELC-type productive piece would have been optimal IMO.  Need to rely on the natural progression of the youth next year for improvement, because it doesn't look like it'll be coming via roster supplementation or even RFA retainment.  

with $24mm tied up in skjei, staal, smith and lundqvist, the next 2 years may be tough to really go for it.  buy out of lundqvist and possibly moving 2/3 of those bad D contracts would help.  also, fast, Lemieux, strome and D'Angelo are UFA and RFA, creating more flux.  rangers need to stabilize the future.  miller, nils, hajek and kravtsov are floating around too.  kakko needs to step up.  the goal is to get good players in this league and kreider is a solid top 6.  I am not thrilled with the $$ or length, but teams are getting creative on the back end of these deals if need be.  6.5mm a year is moveable somewhere. 
Seen people throw out the possibility of moving Trouba in the offseason before his NMC kicks in this summer. That would certainly help and wouldn’t hurt as much with how Fox has developed but I’m not sure if they will want to deal with the optics around that, unless Trouba basically picks his spot before a trade is made. 

Seen people throw out the possibility of moving Trouba in the offseason before his NMC kicks in this summer. That would certainly help and wouldn’t hurt as much with how Fox has developed but I’m not sure if they will want to deal with the optics around that, unless Trouba basically picks his spot before a trade is made. 
send him to Detroit.

or back to Winnipeg. Morrisey and him were great together.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:   Yeah, it was just something I noticed about him as I haven't heard much about him this year

Another thing I came across was Kakko and Hughes (NJ) stats are eerily similar this year.  They are 10th and 11th from the bottom in +/- and both have 20 points this year.

Doesn't feel like we netted the high end young offensive talent that we needed to during this sell off period.  It's been all young defensemen and bottom 6 guys.  1 more sell off, then a consolidation of assets to try to improve that top 6 with 1 more ELC-type productive piece would have been optimal IMO.  Need to rely on the natural progression of the youth next year for improvement, because it doesn't look like it'll be coming via roster supplementation or even RFA retainment.  
Are you writing off Kaako already or just hoping for another?

Either way, think it’s very difficult to get that kind of guy when you’re parting with a pending UFA.

gonna have to find a salary match, preferably a forward.  I keep thinking Toronto needs to move a forward for a dman, maybe sjkei is the guy to go realistically, given dollars, length and age. 

really cant believe kakko isn't piling on the points as an 18 year old, now playing with greg "no legs" mckegg, brendan smith, Julien Gauthier, brett howden and phil di Giuseppe.

gonna have to find a salary match, preferably a forward.  I keep thinking Toronto needs to move a forward for a dman, maybe sjkei is the guy to go realistically, given dollars, length and age. 
Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun

Hearing that Rangers and Hurricanes have been talking about a potential Brady Skjei trade but right now Carolina has cap issues so not clear where this goes...

As a data point, I root for 3 teams in professional sports and my ranking of how much anxiety I have about the Rangers ability to manage their finances is like 45th on the list. 

Is Stan Bowman really going to just stand pat and not try to get anything at all for Gus, Lehner and/or Crawford??????? How can he still possibly have a job??????

neidereiter straight?  edmundson plus a martinook type slug?
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

Sounds like a 1st round pick in discussions for Skjei. However, cap issues for the Hurricanes are complicating things.
Sara Civ @SaraCivian

The Canes have $2,690,213 in Cap space right now so obviously other moving parts would have to budge, but Carolina's first-round pick would definitely be in play here

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread