What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (3 Viewers)

I'd rather have the draft pick as a NYR fan,  but on the other hand I wouldn't want to have to face the NYR.     Read elsewhere that CAR and TB were the teams that voted against the 24 play-in.  CAR would be 1st round opponent.  

I'd rather have the draft pick as a NYR fan,  but on the other hand I wouldn't want to have to face the NYR.     Read elsewhere that CAR and TB were the teams that voted against the 24 play-in.  CAR would be 1st round opponent.  
East seeds 6 thru 11 separated by two points.

East seeds 6 thru 11 separated by two points.
With the Skjei trade we get Tor or Car 1'st round pick this year.(CAR choice).   Toronto's is top 10 protected.   I can't do the math but can the Rangers pick end up top 10 or 5 (or 1 overall) with these new parameters? ..and still win win the Cup?      skeet skeet skeet

From Scott Burnside in The Athletic 

Phase 2, which is voluntary small group workouts at team facilities, begins in early June, so it’s expected that training camps (Phase 3) will not begin before mid-July.

The resumption of play (Phase 4) will be in two hub cities, with 12 teams from each conference in each city. Those cities will be selected at a later date based on COVID-19 numbers, testing ability and government regulations. The NHL expects to pick the two cities in the next three-to-four weeks.

The cities under consideration are: Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Edmonton, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Toronto and Vancouver.

More I look at this playoff the more I like it.   The round robin seeding games even sound cool.    Going in cold is not ideal but these guys are pro hockey players, lace em up and go play hockey.  

@FriedgeHNIC: Couple of other notes from Return-to-Play protocol: Two exhibition games per team; 28 skaters and as many goalies as you wish to carry.

More I look at this playoff the more I like it.   The round robin seeding games even sound cool.    Going in cold is not ideal but these guys are pro hockey players, lace em up and go play hockey.  
My biggest problem with their plan is how long they're dragging everything out. Training camp in mid July plus 2 exhibition games? By the time they're done with the knockout round,  the NFL will be back.

Pretty wild they are waiting till august at least to get going. I was surprised by that. I figured early July. If they were hoping to cash in on tv ratings going against nfl and college and nba playoffs isn’t a good idea. 

I get that the virus is still out there but it won’t be much better in august either so either get going or don’t bother imo. Weird timeline. 

Who is the youngest team coming into this 24 team playoff?   Didn't anyone think Eli would outperform Favre for a trip the bowl.   Young man's game.         Let's get it on.

@FriedgeHNIC: Couple of other notes from Return-to-Play protocol: Two exhibition games per team; 28 skaters and as many goalies as you wish to carry.
This just in, the Maple Leafs sign David Ayers to a 5 year, $45M dollar contract to keep him away from the Blue Jackets. 

i am worried this farce will affect 20-21.  seems awfully late to start up again, then stop, then start a full season.  august hockey?

i am worried this farce will affect 20-21.  seems awfully late to start up again, then stop, then start a full season.  august hockey?
they are prepared to play a full season next year with a late start. will get rid of bye weeks/all star break, etc, and try to pack the season in with a start in December.

although, if they can't get fans into seats, maybe a shortened season next year makes sense too.

I wonder what will happen with minor/junior/college hockey. seems likely those may not have enough revenue to continue without fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is odd, why go short season short season?  If they were willing to cancel an entire year not too long ago, then we just don't have a cup winner this year.  I hated hated that 95 season after the Rangers won the cup.

they are prepared to play a full season next year with a late start. will get rid of bye weeks/all star break, etc, and try to pack the season in with a start in December.

although, if they can't get fans into seats, maybe a shortened season next year makes sense too.

I wonder what will happen with minor/junior/college hockey. seems likely those may not have enough revenue to continue without fans.

This is odd, why go short season short season?  If they were willing to cancel an entire year not too long ago, then we just don't have a cup winner this year.  I hated hated that 95 season after the Rangers won the cup.
on NHL network, I heard that camp will start Dec 1.  Season to start Jan 1.   Season this year started like Oct 3... to end around Apr 10.   That's 7 1/3 months.  So I could see Jan 1 to end of June, mid July.  Playoffs July and August (maybe mid Sep).    And then back on track for the next year.  None of this is set in stone yet.

playoffs this year  >>>>>>> regular season games next year

better to get the playoff tv money as well as crown a champion, even if it means sacrificing some fan-less regular season games next year to make it happen.

Round robin tournament with over 75% of the league participating in neutral cities with empty stadiums doesn't really sound all that enticing to me.

That said, I'm very surprised the NHL came up with this plan and implemented before the NBA.  And they really made the best of what they could I suppose.  With no sports going on, they will attract a television audience, even going up against the NFL in later summer.  Further, MLB is going to be a complete cluster as the players union and owners can't even come up with any agreement as to how to proceed, and then they'd have to have spring training and games which haven't even started.  

Also, I think the NHL's plan may be a tad ambitious to get foreign players back to US soil and then figure out the city and logistics of games played but seems doable.

I think a shortened 2020-2021 season would be a good idea as hopefully we can figure out a vaccination, but that is going to lead to a stumbling block again with players vs owners - shortened season, no fans, less revenue, etc...

Hoping it works out.  

So I am excited for this but what happens if before game 3 of a tied series between the bolts and leafs in round 2, Stamkos comes down with the rona? Can’t just sit him out, have to assume most of his team has it too. And then Toronto probably does too. That series get delayed 14 days? 3 day delay to test everybody? What if 15 bolts players and only 1 leaf has it? Forfeit? 

What if it happens during the cup finals? 

(only using the bolts as an example, could be any team)

So I am excited for this but what happens if before game 3 of a tied series between the bolts and leafs in round 2, Stamkos comes down with the rona? Can’t just sit him out, have to assume most of his team has it too. And then Toronto probably does too. That series get delayed 14 days? 3 day delay to test everybody? What if 15 bolts players and only 1 leaf has it? Forfeit? 

Don't know the official plan but Stamkos would sit out, they'd test/sit others, play games, and test each day repeating the process. 

Assume the NHL has more complete info from the NBA on how much spread there actually was from Gobert, but it didn't seem to get anywhere near the point where even a league with shorter rosters would have trouble fielding a team. And there are better precautions being taken now which would help. 

Don't know the official plan but Stamkos would sit out, they'd test/sit others, play games, and test each day repeating the process. 
Seems like a disaster in the waiting. Just keep playing players who have been exposed when test results don’t show a positive until a few days in? 

Seems like a disaster in the waiting. Just keep playing players who have been exposed when test results don’t show a positive until a few days in? 
actually, i prefer we sit healthy players and play those that are infected.  no worries.

Assume the NHL has more complete info from the NBA on how much spread there actually was from Gobert, but it didn't seem to get anywhere near the point where even a league with shorter rosters would have trouble fielding a team. And there are better precautions being taken now which would help. 

From what I've heard, players will be tested every evening and results will be known by 9am.    And they will get to roster 28 players, instead of 23.

From what I've heard, players will be tested every evening and results will be known by 9am.    And they will get to roster 28 players, instead of 23.
Yes I wrote that before that news came this weekend. Daily tests with next morning results seems to resolve that issue. The quickest timeline I had seen was 2 days from MLB. 

I’m not a hockey guy but I’ve had the same thought about any sport.  My biggest fear is one of these athletes dies from it - then what?  The unions may shut things down until there’s a vaccine.  I realize the chances are very slim but we have seen a number of cases with young, healthy individuals.  And even though it would be an outlier it won’t be taken the same way and people will react/overreact.  

I’m not a hockey guy but I’ve had the same thought about any sport.  My biggest fear is one of these athletes dies from it - then what?  The unions may shut things down until there’s a vaccine.  I realize the chances are very slim but we have seen a number of cases with young, healthy individuals.  And even though it would be an outlier it won’t be taken the same way and people will react/overreact.  
The players unions have to sign off on these things - thus the reason MLB may be canned this season.  I'm sure there will be all kinds of waivers that need to be signed by all employees/athletes.

Other professional sports have opened up and lots of testing is done - EPL had 4, then 2, then 0 confirmed cases and they will start up in 2 weeks.  I believe (hope) that wide spread testing would catch any flare ups before they have a chance to get too far.

As far as precedent - https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ukraines-soccer-players-staff-test-positive-coronavirus Ukraine soccer had a game postponed due to a flare up on one of the sides.  This certainly seems prudent to me and would hope that other professional leagues would take the same approach.

We need to get a vaccine out there asap, but you can rush biology.  

guru_007 said:
The players unions have to sign off on these things - thus the reason MLB may be canned this season.  I'm sure there will be all kinds of waivers that need to be signed by all employees/athletes.

Other professional sports have opened up and lots of testing is done - EPL had 4, then 2, then 0 confirmed cases and they will start up in 2 weeks.  I believe (hope) that wide spread testing would catch any flare ups before they have a chance to get too far.

As far as precedent - https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ukraines-soccer-players-staff-test-positive-coronavirus Ukraine soccer had a game postponed due to a flare up on one of the sides.  This certainly seems prudent to me and would hope that other professional leagues would take the same approach.

We need to get a vaccine out there asap, but you can rush biology.  
Yea I would think it’s easy to postpone a regular season game if there is an outbreak. Problem would be the middle of a 2-week playoff series. Guess the next round would just have to wait. 

Cool. 

@FriedgeHNIC: The NHL Playoffs will not be bracketed, but re-seeded after every round. Qualifying will be best-of-five. All other rounds will be best-of-seven.

@SWhyno: Penguins say one of their players tested positive for the coronavirus, went into isolation (not in Pittsburgh) and has recovered.

So i like the NHL backing the "Hockey Diversity Alliance". Got some good guys on there and would be nice to see them get rid of the racism that creeps into the game every once in a while. So does this mean the 1st order of business will be moving the Bruins our of Boston and into another market?

So i like the NHL backing the "Hockey Diversity Alliance". Got some good guys on there and would be nice to see them get rid of the racism that creeps into the game every once in a while. So does this mean the 1st order of business will be moving the Bruins our of Boston and into another market?
good one

This soooooo needs to happen 

Scenario: The Rangers win the Stanley Cup and also the first overall pick

Yes, it could happen.

It’s a longshot. But the Rangers own a Hurricanes’ first-round pick, thanks to the Brady Skjei trade. The pick isn’t directly lottery-protected, but Carolina has two firsts – their own, plus Toronto’s from the Patrick Marleau deal – and the Rangers will get whichever one is worse.

When the Skjei trade went down, the Leafs and Hurricanes were both strong favorites to make the playoffs, so the Rangers were basically dealing for a pick that would most likely be in the mid-teens, and quite possibly deep in the first round. But now the play-in round and double lottery have changed everything, and it’s possible that the Hurricanes could lose in the first round and then win the lottery, landing a top-three pick or even the first overall selection.

But wait, wouldn’t that mean the Rangers would just get Toronto’s lower pick instead? Yes … except that pick is top-ten protected, meaning that if the Leafs also lose in the first round and then get lucky in the lottery, they’d get to keep this year’s pick. So this scenario needs both the Leafs and the Hurricanes to lose in the first round and then win the lottery, which is extremely unlikely. But it’s possible, and if it happens then the Rangers could make the playoffs – or even win the Cup – and still land the first overall pick in the lottery. Which I seem to remember was the exact scenario the league was preemptively melting down about just a few weeks ago.

Of course, the first step in this chain is for the Hurricanes to lose in the play-in. And who are they playing? The Rangers, of course. Carolina was 0-4-0 against New York this season, in case you were wondering.

Chaos meter: 100/100. If this scenario plays out, the Rangers absolutely have to do a ping pong ball-themed storm surge at the lottery reveal.

AcerFC said:
This soooooo needs to happen 

Scenario: The Rangers win the Stanley Cup and also the first overall pick

Yes, it could happen.

It’s a longshot. But the Rangers own a Hurricanes’ first-round pick, thanks to the Brady Skjei trade. The pick isn’t directly lottery-protected, but Carolina has two firsts – their own, plus Toronto’s from the Patrick Marleau deal – and the Rangers will get whichever one is worse.

When the Skjei trade went down, the Leafs and Hurricanes were both strong favorites to make the playoffs, so the Rangers were basically dealing for a pick that would most likely be in the mid-teens, and quite possibly deep in the first round. But now the play-in round and double lottery have changed everything, and it’s possible that the Hurricanes could lose in the first round and then win the lottery, landing a top-three pick or even the first overall selection.

But wait, wouldn’t that mean the Rangers would just get Toronto’s lower pick instead? Yes … except that pick is top-ten protected, meaning that if the Leafs also lose in the first round and then get lucky in the lottery, they’d get to keep this year’s pick. So this scenario needs both the Leafs and the Hurricanes to lose in the first round and then win the lottery, which is extremely unlikely. But it’s possible, and if it happens then the Rangers could make the playoffs – or even win the Cup – and still land the first overall pick in the lottery. Which I seem to remember was the exact scenario the league was preemptively melting down about just a few weeks ago.

Of course, the first step in this chain is for the Hurricanes to lose in the play-in. And who are they playing? The Rangers, of course. Carolina was 0-4-0 against New York this season, in case you were wondering.

Chaos meter: 100/100. If this scenario plays out, the Rangers absolutely have to do a ping pong ball-themed storm surge at the lottery reveal.
It won’t. :lmao:

Results:

1.  Team yet to be determined - from the draft lottery of loser teams from  the qualifying round.  WOW....Lafreniere's destination TBD.

2.  Kings

3. Ottawa (Sharks pick)

4.  Detroit...oof fell from the #1 spot

5.  Ottawa

6.  Anaheim

7.  New Jersey

8.  Buffalo

Users who are viewing this thread