What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (5 Viewers)

Welp, there's your answer:

@DarrenDreger

·

3m

Vegas trades Nate Schmidt to the Vancouver Canucks for a 3rd round draft pick in 2022.

According to Cap Friendly, offseason cap and the regular-season cap are not calculated the same way. Something to do with minor league players on one-way deals (not sure who that includes for VGK).

It's kind of explained here.

@JesseGranger_: According to @CapFriendly's estimates, the Golden Knights would need to clear roughly $2.1 million in space before making the Pietrangelo contract official, in order to stay cap compliant. 

That means a trade is likely coming.

Soon. https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1315803684513738754
Just saw this. Apparently I was wrong! The Schmidt deal seemed done last night so I wouldn’t be surprised if something was already in place. 

I am still baffled as to why Armstrong had no interest in bringing him back last year.  He was cheap as hell, a local hero (Game 7 vs Dallas!!), and a great fit on the team.  Great character to have on your team.  I just don't get it.
My wife and I talked about that a lot during the playoffs. Seemed very weird they let him walk, especially on such a cheap deal. 

Capella said:
My wife and I talked about that a lot during the playoffs. Seemed very weird they let him walk, especially on such a cheap deal. 
Well, he was nearly cut before the playoffs even began that season because he was so bad. He definitely provided a lot of value in the playoffs, though, but I guess the Blues felt it wasn't that important and valued something else on the roster more in their tight cap-crunch of a team. Also, they have (had) quite a lot of young forwards that needed playing time.

@DavidSchoenLVRJ
Golden Knights owner Bill Foley to @BrianBlessing on Vegas Hockey Hotline on facing Nate Schmidt/Canucks: "Yeah, but they're going to be in the Canadian division."

----

Not sure if this has legs but seems to suggest a Canadian bubble division coming for the 2021 NHL season?

@DavidSchoenLVRJ
Golden Knights owner Bill Foley to @BrianBlessing on Vegas Hockey Hotline on facing Nate Schmidt/Canucks: "Yeah, but they're going to be in the Canadian division."

----

Not sure if this has legs but seems to suggest a Canadian bubble division coming for the 2021 NHL season?
No other way to do it. Canada wouldn’t even let the Blue Jays come and go, no way they let 7 teams pass. Things have only gotten worse really. 

the cap situation is gonna make the nhl crazy the next 3 years.....
As a bolts fan I am biased but they should have given each team a free buyout. Still pay the guy but it doesn’t count against your cap. Nobody could have planned for this pandemic. 

As a bolts fan I am biased but they should have given each team a free buyout. Still pay the guy but it doesn’t count against your cap. Nobody could have planned for this pandemic. 
They should have given teams a buyout up to the difference between the initial projected cap and the final one affected by the shutdown. 

Sounds like they’ll have to attach a premium (2nd-3rd) draft pick to move Tyler, and then will likely get one back for Killorn. 
Man, he is under contract for a long time still and that hit isn't great. Plus, doesn't he have a NTC? So the market for teams who can even take him is probably low, whoever that team is holds all the cards which drives up the price, and then Johnson needs to approve the destination. Just seems like a situation that is going to be really dicey to manage. You guys might have to lose a different, more valuable player.

Man, he is under contract for a long time still and that hit isn't great. Plus, doesn't he have a NTC? So the market for teams who can even take him is probably low, whoever that team is holds all the cards which drives up the price, and then Johnson needs to approve the destination. Just seems like a situation that is going to be really dicey to manage. You guys might have to lose a different, more valuable player.
We have to trade 2, I’m sure the dominoes will fall soon. I think it will be TJ and Killorn. 

Worst case scenario is somebody takes Tyler for a first. That sucks, but you can’t lose Serg or Cirelli. Gotta pay for that bad contract. 

Nice signing by the B's...Grzelcyk will never be an All Star but he's a reliable, quality player tied-up for four years at a nice price...McAvoy, Carlo and Grzelcyk are a solid foundation at the blueline...would be nice if one of the youngsters between Zboril, Lauzon and Vaakanainen stepped up as well...would solve a lot of issues for the future.

https://www.tsn.ca/matt-grzelcyk-re-risigns-with-boston-bruins-1.1540236
I would just like to see one of them get the opportunity for a long stretch to grow through any issues, without having to worry about bouncing back and forth between the 9th floor.

@SWhyno: Sabres avoid arbitration with goaltender Linus Ullmark, sign him to $2.6M, 1-year deal. They did same earlier with forward Sam Reinhart on $5.2M, 1-year deal.

@SWhyno: Sabres avoid arbitration with goaltender Linus Ullmark, sign him to $2.6M, 1-year deal. They did same earlier with forward Sam Reinhart on $5.2M, 1-year deal.
1-year deals lower than they were going to get in arbitration. definitely helps give them some time to see what this team can do with the Hall/Staal signings.

everybody assumed Eichel and Hall are going to play together, so I hope they don't stick Reinhart on that line and let him pile up 90 points before signing him to a long-term deal. not much different than what happened with Skinner.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
1-year deals lower than they were going to get in arbitration. definitely helps give them some time to see what this team can do with the Hall/Staal signings.

everybody assumed Eichel and Hall are going to play together, so I hope they don't stick Reinhart on that line and let him pile up 90 points before signing him to a long-term deal. not much different than what happened with Skinner.
You wonder if Sam tried to negotiate his linemates though before agreeing to that deal. 

Aaron Rudnicki said:

maybe they could put Skinner on that line instead and get him any points

maybe they could put Skinner on that line instead and get him any points
Krueger doesn't seem to like Skinner for some reason. I don't get it. I also think Hall and Eichel like to dominate the puck so not sure how well they will work together.

IMO, makes more sense to put Olofsson with Hall/Eichel and Reinhart with Skinner/Staal to get best players in the top-6.

Cozens could possibly line up with Staal/Skinner though and that would bump Reinhart down to 3rd line with Eakin/Thompson most likely. Good luck piling up even strength points in that group, Sam.

Users who are viewing this thread