What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-2020 NHL Season Thread (8 Viewers)

Can't express how much I am enjoying the leafs struggles so far this year. Reading HF is very entertaining. 

One thing I dont really understand is the hate for nylander. Seems to me he's doing what is expected.  The games I've seen he's been good to great. One of their better forwards almost every night. Just a scapegoat? 
He's not Canadian and Leafs fans grew up on Don Cherry, Darcy Tucker, Doug Gilmour, etc.. Nylander has been the Leafs most consistent forward. 5 on 5 he's a better player than Mitch Marner (MM does more on both PP and PK).

Leafs PK is abysmal. Gardiner was way better at driving the team up ice and gaining the zone than Barrie is. Ceci is worse than Zaitsev, Kadri is missed and Babcock doesn't know how to deploy his offensive weapons. Aside from that, everything's wonderful. 

So who can guess the suspension for this loogie?

Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) Tweeted:
Garnet Hathaway gets a match penalty for spitting in Erik Gudbranson’s face https://t.co/KfjjkBMtVC
3 games.

There's no place for spitting in any sport, so I cant' really argue it, BUT, it still irks me that Gudbranson got absolutely nothing for sucker-punching a guy while both of them were restrained by the refs.  Honestly, the refs should have just let them both go and let them fight it out.  They both had already dropped gloves.

@LeafsPR

Toronto Maple Leafs President and Alternate Governor Brendan Shanahan announced today that Mike Babcock has been relieved of his coaching duties and Sheldon Keefe has been named the Club’s new head coach. #LeafsForever

:popcorn:

@LeafsPR

Toronto Maple Leafs President and Alternate Governor Brendan Shanahan announced today that Mike Babcock has been relieved of his coaching duties and Sheldon Keefe has been named the Club’s new head coach. #LeafsForever

:popcorn:
parade plans back on!

3 games.

There's no place for spitting in any sport, so I cant' really argue it, BUT, it still irks me that Gudbranson got absolutely nothing for sucker-punching a guy while both of them were restrained by the refs.  Honestly, the refs should have just let them both go and let them fight it out.  They both had already dropped gloves.
Just so we have it straight, spitting is 3 but licking is still 0, right?

Wasn’t Babcock considered one of the best coaches in hockey a few years ago? 

I wonder if Cooper is getting close to the chopping block too. 

Mike Commodore, who has made his feelings about Mike Babcock very well known in the past, did not pass up the opportunity to gloat shortly after the Leafs announced Babcock had been fired. Commodore has played under Babcock with two teams, and was more than willing to bask in the fact that Babcock's time with Toronto was over.

"Folks, I have been dreaming about this moment for years," Said Commodore on Twitter.

"Hey Mike Babcock....The entire Maple Leaf organization has had it with you....The Players and the entire Front office are sick and tired of your arrogance...#PackYour#### and beat it you piece of ####."

"Hey Mike Babcock....your daily National TV time is over. Finished. You are a fraud.," Commodore Tweeted. "Nobody gives a #### what you have to say anymore. Let that sink in you arrogant #####."

Commodore wasn't done there, letting everything fly in another Tweet.

"Simply put your players quit on you. They quit on you because you are a terrible human being. You are an average coach with an extremely over-sized ego. You finally got exactly what you deserve you selfish #####. The hockey world is ecstatic."

Commodore ended his rant by saying "Let the Sheldon Keefe era begin!" Keefe, who had been coaching the Toronto Marlies of the AHL, has been named as Babcock's replacement.

Mike Commodore, who has made his feelings about Mike Babcock very well known in the past, did not pass up the opportunity to gloat shortly after the Leafs announced Babcock had been fired. Commodore has played under Babcock with two teams, and was more than willing to bask in the fact that Babcock's time with Toronto was over.

"Folks, I have been dreaming about this moment for years," Said Commodore on Twitter.

"Hey Mike Babcock....The entire Maple Leaf organization has had it with you....The Players and the entire Front office are sick and tired of your arrogance...#PackYour#### and beat it you piece of ####."

"Hey Mike Babcock....your daily National TV time is over. Finished. You are a fraud.," Commodore Tweeted. "Nobody gives a #### what you have to say anymore. Let that sink in you arrogant #####."

"Simply put your players quit on you. They quit on you because you are a terrible human being. You are an average coach with an extremely over-sized ego. You finally got exactly what you deserve you selfish #####. The hockey world is ecstatic."

Commodore ended his rant by saying "Let the Sheldon Keefe era begin!" Keefe, who had been coaching the Toronto Marlies of the AHL, has been named as Babcock's replacement.
It's funny ... I was watching NHL Network in the 4:00 hour when the news broke, and my first reaction was to go to Twitter and see what Commodore had to say. No lie.

I wonder if Cooper is getting close to the chopping block too. 
absolutely, but he had no playoff success in Toronto, and they had a clear replacement lined up for awhile in Keefe.

who would Tampa go with if they dumped Cooper?

Last edited by a moderator:
Babcock has an impressive resume including Cups, gold medals, and a track record of success. Nothing takes that away. And he did a sold job turning the team around. 

It's just that he was not the right coach to be able to carry this team any further. It showed over the last few years. With no more glaring obviousness than this year.

Babs' style and approach was opposed to the team that Dubas, Shanny, and MLSE had built. His installed systems and baffling and inflexible lineup and lack of in-game adjustments didn't leverage a team that was built on youth and speed. He tried to mold the team to his style rather than the other way around. 

As much as Babs wasn't able or willing to be adaptive and make changes to get the most out of this squad, the blame isn't solely on his shoulders. It's an organizational failure, from MLSE down through Shanny, Dubas, all the way to the players who must share the blame for woefully underachieving.

Now there is one less excuse. Keefe isn't a cure-all -- but at least he may be more philosophically aligned with the FO and not be so set in his ways at this next level to make something happen.

In the end, it's the players on the ice -- across all lines -- that need to step up, show some cohesion and unity, and play as a team instead of individual overpaid superstars.

It may be too late to achieve the lofty goals and the crushing expectations the city of Toronto has heaped on this team (and deservedly so) -- it's not too late to make a run at the playoffs. If the Leafs manage to get in, it will be on the basis of the team elevating its play across all lines on O and D -- and if that happens, great things can still happen in the post season.

And this team is still young and will be together for a few years to come. It might be a total and utterly regrettable waste of a season, but there is a lot left to do -- and sometimes teams have to go through a crucible to come out the other side better.

It's up to them now. 

Commodore's axe to grind with Babcock was always sharp -- from being benched in favor of Sauer in the AHL, to being benched frequently when he joined the Red Wings until Ken Holland felt bad for him and traded him.

Babcock's bizarre negative focus on Nylander seemed mined from the same vein as his apparent dislike for Commodore. That said, truth is always somewhere in the middle, and the above is kind of classless and over the top, IMHO.

I mean, it was clear that Babcock could totally be a donkey's rear end sometimes. It's also not a stretch to guess why he may not have loved giving minutes to a journeyman JAG of a RHD who was honestly more known for his stellar hair than his stellar play.

absolutely, but he had no playoff success in Toronto, and they had a clear replacement lined up for awhile in Keefe.

who would Tampa go with if they dumped Cooper?
Everybody I follow seems to think the AHL coach will be getting an NHL job soon. Groulx. 

I like Coop a lot and hope he stays but I guess I could understand it if they moved on also. 

Babcock has an impressive resume including Cups, gold medals, and a track record of success. Nothing takes that away. And he did a sold job turning the team around. 

It's just that he was not the right coach to be able to carry this team any further. It showed over the last few years. With no more glaring obviousness than this year.

Babs' style and approach was opposed to the team that Dubas, Shanny, and MLSE had built. His installed systems and baffling and inflexible lineup and lack of in-game adjustments didn't leverage a team that was built on youth and speed. He tried to mold the team to his style rather than the other way around. 
Babcock was great in the early years of his contract "coaching up" a less skilled team with a heavy game etc... as the roster changed the fit did too and he probably has a shorter shelf life with players of today who want more of a players coach than the abrasive Babs, my :2cents:

For the same reason, it feels almost inevitable to me that he'll be the first coach of the new Seattle franchise and have some good initial success once again. 

Like I said earlier, if Keefe wasn't around, I'd likely be opposed to this move but it's a proven combination (at OHL/AHL) and has felt inevitable for so long and the Leafs look terrible now, so why not. 

Matt Murray with another stellar sub .900 save percentage performance tonight. Actually 87, to keep him at around 28th or worse in the league.  He is a ghost of what he was a couple years ago. He is below average at this point.

Getzlaf15 said:

I bet he was wearing a robe while tweeting.

Went to see Bs / Sabes last night. First - great game... weird one too. Bs went half the first period without a shot, outshot 13-0, but were hanging in there 1-0

then later - this happened 

https://youtu.be/eUoSiOvPWog

unreal. Arena had what must have been 5 straight minutes of TTTIUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKK

Matt Murray with another stellar sub .900 save percentage performance tonight. Actually 87, to keep him at around 28th or worse in the league.  He is a ghost of what he was a couple years ago. He is below average at this point.
i don’t know, .919 last year.  .907 this year on a team that seems lacking overall.  

so coach’s corner is now boring interviews like every other broadcast intermission.  cool.

So Tampa Bay went 21 games without a shorthanded goal, then got two on the same penalty kill in a 5-2 beating of Buffalo.

Users who are viewing this thread