What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rental Car Insurance (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
So I am dropping my car off tomorrow and picking up the rental car.  The insurance company pays up to $45 a day.  I noticed that the insurance on the car is something like $30 a day.  Normally, I'd get a rental car on my credit card and that would cover the insurance.  But I'm not technically using my card to pay for the car.  So am I on the hook for insuring this rental car?  What's the play here?

If you carry comprehensive and liability coverage on your personal car, coverage typically will extend to your rental car within the United States. 

Don't ever pay for the car rental company's insurance.
Yes.  But it would suck having to use my insurance to pay for another car to be fixed.

1.  Check with your insurance  agent/company for the definitive answer

Generally a car rented in your name will be covered by your insurance company as if you were driving your own car.  Assuming you have Comprehensive, Collision and Liability at a minimum, you shouldn't need to purchase insurance from the rental car company.

If you have an accident in the rental, just turn it into your insurance company.  Your deductibles will apply, but check with the credit card company that the rental car company has on file for you.

Also, enjoy being a vehicle that BigTex's wife won't recognize following her.  

About 10 years ago, I got in an accident.  When I went to drop off my car and pick up the rental all they had was an Infinit G35 sports coupe.  When they gave me the keys, the lady behind the counter jokingly said something like, "She's a real nice car.  Try not to mess her up."  We both laughed.

The next night, I was driving home from work doing about 50 mph and the front tire blew out.  The road I was on had no shoulder and had guardrails right up against each side of the road.  When the tire blew, the car instantly pulled into the rail.  I had already made impact before I knew what happened.  I swung back across the roadway smashed into the other guardrail before doing about five screeching 360's.  By the time I came to a stop, 2 tires were flat and every side of the car had been damaged.  

I do remember I had to use my insurance on that wreck because I was trying to fight it.  I crashed because of their crappy tire.  But in the end, I had two accidents on my insurance in a matter of 36 hours.

I know that.  But since I'm not technically putting it on a card (insurance is paying for it) I'm guessing they won't be a part of the equation.
By the way, how it typically works is the credit card insurance is supplemental.  If you are insured another way (such as through your car's normal insurance) the claim would be forced that way.

So I am dropping my car off tomorrow and picking up the rental car.  The insurance company pays up to $45 a day.  I noticed that the insurance on the car is something like $30 a day.  Normally, I'd get a rental car on my credit card and that would cover the insurance.  But I'm not technically using my card to pay for the car.  So am I on the hook for insuring this rental car?  What's the play here?
When I did this, they had me put a deposit down on my card.  The lady told me the card would insure it still.

I get $50/day for rentals under my insurance, and around here, a comparable car usually ends up being like $52/day. That extra $2/day goes onto my card with the insurance coverage.

Another option if you don't otherwise mind going above what your insurance company is covering.

Andy Dufresne said:
If you carry comprehensive and liability coverage on your personal car, coverage typically will extend to your rental car within the United States. 

Don't ever pay for the car rental company's insurance.
But many (most?) policies don’t cover for loss of use while a damaged rental vehicle is being repaired, which can end up costing a bundle. Only a few credit cards cover this as well.

I’d buy supplemental insurance independent of the rental agency.  

Users who are viewing this thread