What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phish is really good (1 Viewer)

I like Widespread more than Phish.  I can recognize that Phish has the more talented musicians, but the vocals can turn me off at times and there are some really stupid Phish songs.  Widespread is just much cooler.
Panic bores the crap out of me.  They were way better before Houser’s death.  I know we’ve argued about this, but it’s hard for me to think of them as a “jam band” because it sounds formulaic.  

Panic bores the crap out of me.  They were way better before Houser’s death.  I know we’ve argued about this, but it’s hard for me to think of them as a “jam band” because it sounds formulaic.  
And Phish annoys the crap out of me at times.  I still enjoy them but prefer the sound of Panic.  :shrug:

And Phish annoys the crap out of me at times.  I still enjoy them but prefer the sound of Panic.  :shrug:
I hadn't seen them since Red Rocks in 1997(?) prior to a couple years ago. They sounded okay. Jimmy has come a long way in adapting his playing to their thing. But I hate the percussion in that band, so there is only so much I can stomach.

As for Phish, coincidentally, I have also been listening to the XM station a bit recently. I forgot how great the Harry Hood from A Live One is. As good an entry point as any.

Driving to run some errands this afternoon, really sick Maze into Run like an Antelope.  

How did I miss this thread?  My favorite band.  Also a guitarist of 25+ years and for some reason never really tried learning much Phish in my past (really any covers unless I had to) but lately I've been learning a few Phish tunes in their entirety (including singing/lyrics memorized).  It's been very fun.  I've got these pretty much down pat on acoustic with a couple needing to be polished:

Fee

Harry Hood

Tube

The Lizards (just learned this one yesterday/today. One of my very favorite Phish songs)

Lifeboy 

Suzy Greenberg

Sample in a Jar

AC/DC Bag

Fluffhead (not fluffs travels... yet!)

GoBirds said:
Was listening to Disc 1 of Light Fuse Get Away earlier....better than any Phish out there. Great album especially first disc. 
Sitting in a bar in Tahoe somewhere in the mid-90s, I was drawn to a song the bartender played on the jukebox. Asked what it was, and dude said Disco by Panic on Light Fuse, Get Away. Bought the album within a day or two and my intro to Panic was complete. 

While I'm first a Deadhead, then a Phish fan, and after that a Panic fan, I'll say Light Fuse, Get Away is outstanding. 

No sense in arguing. There's room for all, and each is outstanding in its own right.

The thing that sucks is that each of these bands - Dead, Phish, WSP - made or are making pretty crappy music in the late parts of their band arcs, which they then bring to their shows. Maybe a bit less so for the Dead. Anyway, the shows aren't what they were. Maybe I'm just old now. I'm still pissed Phish isn't coming west though.  

Sitting in a bar in Tahoe somewhere in the mid-90s, I was drawn to a song the bartender played on the jukebox. Asked what it was, and dude said Disco by Panic on Light Fuse, Get Away. Bought the album within a day or two and my intro to Panic was complete. 

While I'm first a Deadhead, then a Phish fan, and after that a Panic fan, I'll say Light Fuse, Get Away is outstanding. 

No sense in arguing. There's room for all, and each is outstanding in its own right.

The thing that sucks is that each of these bands - Dead, Phish, WSP - made or are making pretty crappy music in the late parts of their band arcs, which they then bring to their shows. Maybe a bit less so for the Dead. Anyway, the shows aren't what they were. Maybe I'm just old now. I'm still pissed Phish isn't coming west though.  
Love it, same album that got me hooked and can put the disc in today and still freaking love it!

ETA Til the Medicine Takes was another epic/game changer album. Unfortunately you are correct on the newer stuff since then. 

Last edited by a moderator:
THE TIRES ARE THE THINGS ON YOUR CAR THAT MAKE CONTACT WITH THE ROAD 
First thing I think of when stupid lyrics are mentioned.

I could picture them sitting around in the early days getting stoned, and having that Animal House Donald Sutherland "one tiny little universe" moment and saying "OMG, I GOT IT - IT'S THE TIRES. THE TIRES!!"

I could picture them sitting around in the early days getting stoned, and having that Animal House Donald Sutherland "one tiny little universe" moment and saying "OMG, I GOT IT - IT'S THE TIRES. THE TIRES!!"
I am not a Phish fan. I think that song is sort of adorable in a really innocent way. 

I woke up one morning in November and realized I love you...

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
The thing that sucks is that each of these bands - Dead, Phish, WSP - made or are making pretty crappy music in the late parts of their band arcs, which they then bring to their shows. 
Agreed, but with the Dead and Phish, it all grows on me because it's inescapable when listening to shows.  

Harry Hood had to go down the same way. 

Love it, same album that got me hooked and can put the disc in today and still freaking love it!

ETA Til the Medicine Takes was another epic/game changer album. Unfortunately you are correct on the newer stuff since then. 
Outstanding album. My first show, October 3, 2000.

Set 1

One Arm Steve

Makes Sense to Me

The Waker

Tie Your Shoes

The Last Straw

E on a G

Papa Legba (Talking Heads cover)
Diner
Climb to Safety (Jerry Joseph cover)

Set 2

Ain't Life Grand

Pigeons

Thought Sausage

Red Hot Mama (Funkadelic cover) (with The Dirty Dozen Brass Band)

Arleen (General Echo cover) (with The Dirty Dozen Brass Band)

Jam (with The Dirty Dozen Brass Band)

Drums

Airplane

Papa's Home

Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield cover)

Encore:
Blue Indian

Been a fan of both Panic and Phish since 1999-2000 ish.  Lucky enough to see Panic over 100 times.  With Houser, Panic was great.  I still listen to those shows all the time.  The past 5-10 years though Panic has just dropped off the map for me.  I saw them this past spring and almost left the shows near the end.  Its almost like they're in slow motion and they don't really seem like they enjoy playing anymore.  There are no tours anymore so they can never really get in a groove.  The shows are all predictable now, there is no new original music.   They've put our 2 studio albums in the lat 11 years.  They both suck really.  

Phish won me over in about 2013.  They've been pumping out new music the last few years and its all been great.  The energy is still there, maybe better than ever.  I try and catch whenever possible.  One of their best shows of the 3.0 era was this past summer and I think 5 of the songs were 2015 or newer.  

Just one mans opinion.  If I had seen this thread in 2005 I would have died on the Panic hill.  Funny how things change.  

jb1020 said:
Been a fan of both Panic and Phish since 1999-2000 ish.  Lucky enough to see Panic over 100 times.  With Houser, Panic was great.  I still listen to those shows all the time.  The past 5-10 years though Panic has just dropped off the map for me.  I saw them this past spring and almost left the shows near the end.  Its almost like they're in slow motion and they don't really seem like they enjoy playing anymore.  There are no tours anymore so they can never really get in a groove.  The shows are all predictable now, there is no new original music.   They've put our 2 studio albums in the lat 11 years.  They both suck really.  

Phish won me over in about 2013.  They've been pumping out new music the last few years and its all been great.  The energy is still there, maybe better than ever.  I try and catch whenever possible.  One of their best shows of the 3.0 era was this past summer and I think 5 of the songs were 2015 or newer.  

Just one mans opinion.  If I had seen this thread in 2005 I would have died on the Panic hill.  Funny how things change.  
I like Panic now just as much as ever.  Jimmy Herring is great and Duane is a good replacement for Todd who had lost it. 

Phish on the other hand has had two lackluster years in a row, especially this past one.  Some of their new songs are okay, most are pretty meh.

The limited touring seems to have helped Panic, they play with a lot of intensity when they do play.  Phish seems to be having trouble sustaining it lately.  

Baker's Dozen was the last great Phish, will see if they can get there again.  I wouldn't doubt it if they could but they have been a bit boring to me of late. 

I like Panic now just as much as ever.  Jimmy Herring is great and Duane is a good replacement for Todd who had lost it. 

Phish on the other hand has had two lackluster years in a row, especially this past one.  Some of their new songs are okay, most are pretty meh.

The limited touring seems to have helped Panic, they play with a lot of intensity when they do play.  Phish seems to be having trouble sustaining it lately.  

Baker's Dozen was the last great Phish, will see if they can get there again.  I wouldn't doubt it if they could but they have been a bit boring to me of late. 
Its funny, but I see the opposite.  I do like Duane, but I've grown a little tired of Jimmy.  He's great, but its so different that the Panic I started loving 20 years ago.  Panic just seems like they're stuck in a rut.  There 2 and 3 night runs all seem the same.  Play some old songs and thrown in a Petty cover near the end.   Maybe it was the last shows I saw were lame?   

I don't think you'll find many phish fans, or anyone paying attention, that will say the last 2 years of phish have been lackluster.  Not trying to change your mind, but most phish fans will argue this last 4 years has been one of the better phish runs ever.   

Its funny, but I see the opposite.  I do like Duane, but I've grown a little tired of Jimmy.  He's great, but its so different that the Panic I started loving 20 years ago.  Panic just seems like they're stuck in a rut.  There 2 and 3 night runs all seem the same.  Play some old songs and thrown in a Petty cover near the end.   Maybe it was the last shows I saw were lame?   

I don't think you'll find many phish fans, or anyone paying attention, that will say the last 2 years of phish have been lackluster.  Not trying to change your mind, but most phish fans will argue this last 4 years has been one of the better phish runs ever.   
ghosts of the forests and the kasvot tunes are all sick

check out the santos from Charlotte and tell me that isnt insane 

ghosts of the forests and the kasvot tunes are all sick

check out the santos from Charlotte and tell me that isnt insane 
I was at Alpine N2 when they encored with Santos...thats such a good song.  

The amount of new music they've put out in the last 5 years is pretty crazy.  The Halloween Thrilling Chilling Sounds, Fuego (its just OK), Big Boat, Kasvot, Ghost of the Forrest.  

You seen "between me and my mind" yet?  its really good.  

And an Oysterhead reunion?!?!? 

Every year around this same time, a horrible oversight is perpetrated when Phish is nowhere to be seen on the list of bands nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I don't expect the state of things to change any time soon (unless they hit it big with their "Touch of Grey" moment) but nonetheless, we should not normalize this behavior. The Hall and its voters should be ashamed of themselves and I will beat this drum annually.

Every year around this same time, a horrible oversight is perpetrated when Phish is nowhere to be seen on the list of bands nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I don't expect the state of things to change any time soon (unless they hit it big with their "Touch of Grey" moment) but nonetheless, we should not normalize this behavior. The Hall and its voters should be ashamed of themselves and I will beat this drum annually.
I get what you are saying but I bet truth be told they prefer it like that.  That is their whole dynamic is to fly under the radar.  Remember in 2000 how big a deal it was when they were on the cover of EW? 

I get what you are saying but I bet truth be told they prefer it like that.  That is their whole dynamic is to fly under the radar.  Remember in 2000 how big a deal it was when they were on the cover of EW? 
The band is probably indifferent about it. Doesn’t mean they aren’t worthy. 

Amen.  Floors me every year.  At least the HoF has the hot dog hanging (at least it did the last time I was there).....but that just puzzles me even more.

Users who are viewing this thread