What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

21 yo sent to jail for oversleeping for jury duty (1 Viewer)

Seriously?

Just seems so ridiculously excessive.
Agree.  I'm a big show up and show up early guy, but this is excessive.  10 days in jail, community service and a fine.  Sounds like the kid was contrite about it.  I think community service only would have been appropriate.

10 days is definitely too much considering all the other punishment as well. And it was just a civil trial. 

That article is so over the top though. As if this guy didnt just blow off jury duty. 

10 days is definitely too much considering all the other punishment as well. And it was just a civil trial. 

That article is so over the top though. As if this guy didnt just blow off jury duty. 
Sounds like he went to the initial jury selection and was chosen as a juror.

Then, on the day the case started, he no called / no showed. Then didn't contact the court for three weeks.

While the punishment is harsh, IMO it needs to be.

Then, on the day the case started, he no called / no showed. Then didn't contact the court for three weeks.

While the punishment is harsh, IMO it needs to be.
Yeah, the headline is misleading. Overslept makes it sound like he was 45 minutes late. He just ghosted them and ignored the calls from the court. I am not sure what the consequence for that should be but I would think a required training on the legal system or the history/significance of trail by peers would be a more positive consequence than prison time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the headline is misleading. Overslept makes it sound like he was 45 minutes late. He just ghosted them and didn't the calls from the court. I am not sure what the consequence for that should be but I would think a required training on the legal system or the history/significance of trail by peers would be a more positive consequence than prison time. 
The reduced sentence seems OK:

On Friday, the judge reduced the sentence and accepted Somerville's apology. Somerville will now serve three months of probation and have to perform 30 hours of community service, court records show. As part of his probation, Somerville will also have to report once a week to the jury office to give a 10-minute talk about the importance of jury duty. Each presentation will count as three hours of community service.

Yes, except the 10 days in jail.

No issue with the rest of it.
Disagree.  He''s 21.  What the heck did he think jury duty was?  He's never watched TV, the news, or anything?  All he had to do is call.  They just would have pushed the start of the trial back a bit.  Instead, he blew it off.  What a doofus.  And I don't believe for a minute that he had no idea it mattered.

I get jury duty is boring and time consuming, but you have to respond, and let them know if you're not coming in that day. I don't like the 10 days in jail, but the fine and service would work. Of course, good luck getting him to serve again.

Seriously?

Just seems so ridiculously excessive.

Not showing up and wasting the entire day of everyone involved just seems so ridiculously selfish and stupid. 

He hasn't learned his lesson at all. So typical of today’s generation. Everything is such a melodramatic, whiny complaint. 

The punishment should be a month. 

I get jury duty is boring and time consuming, but you have to respond, and let them know if you're not coming in that day. I don't like the 10 days in jail, but the fine and service would work. Of course, good luck getting him to serve again.

I bet he won’t not show up again. 

From the title I thought he showed up late.  Then I read and saw he just blew it off entirely.

I think every original penalty, sans the jail time, was appropriate.

At my very first jury trial when I was a baby lawyer, we had one younger kid on our panel who didn't come back to court after the lunch break on the very first day.  The judge issued a bench warrant on the spot.  We had spent all morning on jury selection, and had to go to an alternate juror before even starting opening statements. I always wondered what would happen to that kid if/when he eventually got brought in.  10 days with a suspended sentence and community service seems about right.  Having to speak about the importance of jury service is a nice touch by this judge imo.

He'll either avoid jury duty through legal means, or he'll be one of those anti-government "never convict anyone of anything" types that always end up spoiling an otherwise unanimous jury.

The system works!!
The system works, it’s the people who are broken. 

If he was selected to be part of the final panel, he went through voir dire and was sworn in. He knew what his responsibilities were and just frankly ignored it. It wasn't like he overslept and then drove to the courthouse a little late--he waited three weeks!! 

The punishment was harsh, yes, but actions have consequences. The only reason the media is even covering this is because they are trying to turn it into some racial angle. 

Not showing up and wasting the entire day of everyone involved just seems so ridiculously selfish and stupid. 

He hasn't learned his lesson at all. So typical of today’s generation. Everything is such a melodramatic, whiny complaint. 

Not sure if serious.

It was 45 minutes not a whole day 

Did you read the whole article? The kid said he is taking this as a learning experience. The judge also has his own history of being a pos, read it again.

And jury duty is as important as being in the military? Give me a ####### break, jury duty never caused me to miss countless birthdays, holidays or important events in my family’s life. I’ve never had to recover a dead body or put myself in harms way while serving jury duty. 

Maybe he fell asleep for three weeks. Was his name Rip Van Winkle by chance?

Gah, this has me all nervous now.  I got the "you must call in" postcard a couple months ago.  Put it on the fridge and somehow it got lost.  (Note:  I have kids).

I had to call in this past Friday; fortunately I was able to call in and speak to an actual person who gave me my juror ID and group number.  Called in, got moved to today. 

Crossing my fingers that I don't have to actually report.  Nooooo......

seems to be the youth that we are creating.

I don't want to go to class today. Just skip it.

Don't want to go to work. Call in sick.

Don't want to go to jury duty. Blow it off.

Call of Duty trumps all of the above .... and we enable it.

Gah, this has me all nervous now.  I got the "you must call in" postcard a couple months ago.  Put it on the fridge and somehow it got lost.  (Note:  I have kids).

I had to call in this past Friday; fortunately I was able to call in and speak to an actual person who gave me my juror ID and group number.  Called in, got moved to today. 

Crossing my fingers that I don't have to actually report.  Nooooo......
Yikers.  Called in Tuesday night and was told to report.  Went in yesterday, sat around and tried to do work using their wifi, but that was next to impossible.  Spent the afternoon in the courtroom for jury selection.  Went back today, spent the morning in the courtroom again for jury selection and was called up to interview for an alternate position.  Got excused due to some extenuating circumstances.  Glad I don't have to sit on that damned trial.  Brutal.

Pro Jurors are the shark move. Have people who actually want to be there. Could be elected as something similar to a junior judge. 

Exactly. He didn't oversleep, he skipped out on his civic duty. I would have sentenced him to 30 days.

Leroy Hoard said:
Pro Jurors are the shark move. Have people who actually want to be there. Could be elected as something similar to a junior judge. 
I absolutely loved my time on jury duty.  Everyone else hated it but I loved it.  If they ever had pro jurors, I would definitely look into it.

I absolutely loved my time on jury duty.  Everyone else hated it but I loved it.  If they ever had pro jurors, I would definitely look into it.
Same here!  I thought it was well organized and real legal system at work.  Last time I was called, Criminal Court back in 2014, my funny was when the DA asked for "my job description".  I gave a vague title & brief response.  He asked for details and I told him I could not as it was proprietary and I was not allowed to discuss my job outside of small group at work...  FWIW, I got 3 patents on this.  

So the rest of the jurors wanted me to be Foreman....  not to be, the DA dismissed me at the end.  

I go again middle November!  This time for Superior Court!  I am excited! 

Users who are viewing this thread