What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Boone, DEN (2 Viewers)

Elevencents

Footballguy
Didn’t see a thread? So the Vikings have the obvious - Cook and Mattison. And they still have Abdullah. I think the sky is the limit with this kid and really wish he was in a different situation. Do we see him being stuck deep on the depth chart for years to come? Hard to trade him if you don’t showcase his talents. But I certainly see Cook and Mattison being the 1/2 for a long time coming. Would be a travesty if he rotted as a 3rd stringer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t see a thread? So the Vikings have the obvious - Cook and Mattison. And they still have Abdullah. I think the sky is the limit with this kid and really wish he was in a different situation. Do we see him being stuck deep on the depth chart for years to come? Hard to trade him if you don’t showcase his talents. But I certainly see Cook and Mattison being the 1/2 for a long time coming. Would be a travesty if he rotted as a 3rd stringer. 
I’ve had him rostered in the past in a 16 team IDP  45 man roster league but he’s currently sitting on waivers. A rebuild I took over has only Saquon really at RB (next best would be Malcolm Brown, Nyheim Hines, or Dontrelle Hilliard) so Ive desperately searched for a sliver of potential off waivers and have thought about rostering him. I admittedly know very little about him other than a few blurbs/articles raving about his athleticism.

He still sits on waivers though.

I thought there was a thread for him but I tried to search and I couldn't find it either.

Mike Boone is a very athletic player especially his jump scores at his pro day (was not invited to the combine) were exceptional. He played college for the Cincinnati Bearcats but he split time with other RB. They recruited him as a WR but with the intent to move him to RB.

I am not sure if there were off field reasons for why Boone went undrafted or if it was just because he wasn't very productive in college.

in 2018 Boones rookie season with the Vikings he barely saw the field. On one of his carries when he did get to play, he missed a wide open hole, which for the Vikings offensive line only happens a couple times a game. That was bad. Didn't see Boone much after that.

This preseason in games where Boone played he looked much improved. He made some big plays and thats exciting. He also has improved as a special teams player and competing to play gunner.

“Everything he’s doing, he’s doing much better,” Zimmer said. “For guys like him, they need to play special teams if they want to make the team. I was impressed by what he did in special teams probably more so than running back. He’s really working hard at special teams.”
He was active in most recent game but did not play any snaps on offense. He did have 10 snaps on special teams.

I am hoping that Cook is healthy all season, and if so there is no opportunity for Boone who is 4th on the depth chart. If Cook were to miss time I would expect Mattison to be the Vikings starter but that Abdullah or Boone would mix in more. Abdullah is still ahead of him. Totally a long shot to ever be worth anything in fantasy.

He does have an explosive profile however and does seem to be working on his craft. That may lead to an opportunity for him in the future, maybe with another team.

(fantasypros) Mike Boone rushed 13 times for 56 yards and two TDs in the Vikings' 39-10 victory over the Chargers on Sunday.

Analysis: The preseason superstar took over lead-back duties after Dalvin Cook (shoulder) went down, rumbling for a healthy 56 yards and two touchdowns in the blowout victory. Cook's status is highly questionable for Week 16, as is Alexander Mattison's (knee), opening the door for another big day against an exploitable Green Bay run defense. He's sure to be one of the hottest waiver wire pickups this week.

I had surmised in pasty Vikings game threads Boone would be a factor if Cook was to miss time, which definitely didn't please the Alexander Mattison crowd. Boone is a guy the organization holds in high regard and even if Cook is out and Mattison is cleared, I could see Boone getting a decent amount of work. Of course that's IF Cook is out.

If you are in a position to pick up Boone it is worth doing so.

If Mattison isn't able to play then Boone should get some action in a game where the Vikings will want to run the ball a lot.

Although Cook could be a full go that seems unlikely to me and the 2nd Vikings RB should get the ball 10 or more times either way I would think. I don't expect Cook to be able to have 70% or more with how he exited the game in pain last week.

I don't know, but I am worried this injury Cook has will be something that lingers for the rest of the season. In any case I don't expect the Vikings to be giving Cook the ball 30 times, but they will want the ball in a RBs hands 30 times unless the WR are just going off or something.

Long way to go until reports are out of practice on Thursday, let alone the game Mon night. Lots can happen in terms of Cook and Mattison playing (or not), and the impact that will have on fantasy squads.

Right now Yahoo is listing Abdullah to have over 12 points in my league's 2/3 point PPR. And predicting Boone to have 4.

I was going to ask how the heck they can even put that kind of garbage prediction out there seeing how the splits went down last weekend. I imagine if Cook and Mattison sit, Abdullah is more of the pass catching back but he didn't log any catches last weekend. So was really confused at how the heck they were coming up with that valuation.

Then I remembered my first sentence in my post, and that it's Wednesday.

This will get really interesting. But if somehow Cook and Mattison ail, I can't see how they don't pound the rock with Boone giving that showing -- and GB is not that strong against the run.

Long way to go until reports are out of practice on Thursday, let alone the game Mon night. Lots can happen in terms of Cook and Mattison playing (or not), and the impact that will have on fantasy squads.

Right now Yahoo is listing Abdullah to have over 12 points in my league's 2/3 point PPR. And predicting Boone to have 4.

I was going to ask how the heck they can even put that kind of garbage prediction out there seeing how the splits went down last weekend. I imagine if Cook and Mattison sit, Abdullah is more of the pass catching back but he didn't log any catches last weekend. So was really confused at how the heck they were coming up with that valuation.

Then I remembered my first sentence in my post, and that it's Wednesday.

This will get really interesting. But if somehow Cook and Mattison ail, I can't see how they don't pound the rock with Boone giving that showing -- and GB is not that strong against the run.
Abdullah didn’t touch the ball until garbage time, and GB has given up a bunch of RuTD.

Boone looked great after Cook went down, and with a playoff spot locked up, I can’t see how MIN would possibly play Cook before the playoffs.

Mattison was reportedly not close after a week of DNP’s last week, so we’ll have to see what the report says tomorrow,  but he sounds unlikely - ankle issues take time.

if they’re both out Boone is a PPR RB2 at worst IMO. Hopefully we get clarity - I’m itching to start him over Singletary, who’s matchup is awful. 

From Schefter this morning:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28332744/sources-vikings-dalvin-cook-unlikely-play-vs-packers

He's usually not wrong. This would be the first domino that needs to fall.

Now need to see what's up with Mattison. I don't know how I can play him unless both Cook and Mattison are ruled out prior to Sunday at 1 EST. I'd be kicking myself and my dog if I rolled the dice only to get a goose egg on Monday night (while my opponent has both D. Adams and D. Bailey).

Have D. Washington or P. Laird waiting in the wings. For what it's worth, S. Bloom currently is forecasting 16 PPR points for Boone (vs 13.2 for D. Washington).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28332744/sources-vikings-dalvin-cook-unlikely-play-vs-packers

Now need to see what's up with Mattison. I don't know how I can play him unless both Cook and Mattison are ruled out prior to Sunday at 1 EST. I'd be kicking myself and my dog if I rolled the dice only to get a goose egg on Monday night (while my opponent has both D. Adams and D. Bailey).

Have D. Washington or P. Laird waiting in the wings. For what it's worth, S. Bloom currently is forecasting 16 PPR points for Boone (vs 13.2 for D. Washington).
In a similar boat, deciding between Boone and Laird in Flex.  0.5 PPR makes this a tougher choice but if Mattison is indeed out, I'm rolling Boone out there against that Packers soft run D.

Mike Clay just updated his rankings on ESPN - He is assuming both Cook and Mattison are out and has Boone as RB #21 this week (right between Gurley and Lindsay.) 

Mike Clay just updated his rankings on ESPN - He is assuming both Cook and Mattison are out and has Boone as RB #21 this week (right between Gurley and Lindsay.) 
S. Bloom updated his projections last night in PPR...ahead of the Cook news. 

And wow...he's ranked #8 with 16 PPR points.

Name    Team    Opp    RSH    YD    TD    REC    YD    TD    FPT    
1    Christian McCaffrey    CAR    at IND    15    70    0.6    7.0    46    0.2    23.4    
2    Ezekiel Elliott    DAL    at PHI    20    85    0.8    3.0    19    0.1    18.8    
3    Joe Mixon    CIN    at MIA    20    94    0.5    3.0    21    0.1    18.1    
4    Saquon Barkley    NYG    at WAS    19    90    0.5    3.0    22    0.1    17.8    
5    Austin Ekeler    LAC    vs OAK    7    31    0.2    4.0    56    0.6    17.5    
6    Chris Carson    SEA    vs ARI    21    91    0.7    2.0    11    0.1    17.0    
7    Miles Sanders    PHI    vs DAL    16    61    0.3    4.0    26    0.3    16.3    
8    Mike Boone    MIN    vs GB    18    81    0.7    2.0    11    0.1    16.0    
9    Alvin Kamara    NO    at TEN    13    55    0.3    5.0    22    0.2    15.7    
10    Mark Ingram II    BAL    at CLE    14    71    0.5    2.0    17    0.3    15.6    

cook and jacobs out in championship week for me...i am probably forced to start boone at this point

And the other two have Cook with the points. FBG has been pretty pretty bad this year with the rankings. All over the place. 

Yep, he's in for me. Just over Corey Davis and Kirk as flex, so not that hard a call. 

I almost feel bad. My opponent has Cook. I picked Boone up just to block him. Not that bad, dude is loaded at RB - Carson, gurley, Mack and Mostert will start for him. 

Boone also looks really good... 

There isn't much drop-off from Cook to Mattison to Boone.  That's a big compliment to Mattison and Boone. 

I just have a bad feeling that I’m going to feel obligated to start Barkley and Chubb, and they’re both going to have bum games, while Boone will blow up on my bench.  If both Cook and Mattison are deemed out by Sunday at 1pm, could be a tough decision.

This sounds about right to me

S. Bloom updated his projections last night in PPR...ahead of the Cook news. 

And wow...he's ranked #8 with 16 PPR points.

Name    Team    Opp    RSH    YD    TD    REC    YD    TD    FPT    
1    Christian McCaffrey    CAR    at IND    15    70    0.6    7.0    46    0.2    23.4    
2    Ezekiel Elliott    DAL    at PHI    20    85    0.8    3.0    19    0.1    18.8    
3    Joe Mixon    CIN    at MIA    20    94    0.5    3.0    21    0.1    18.1    
4    Saquon Barkley    NYG    at WAS    19    90    0.5    3.0    22    0.1    17.8    
5    Austin Ekeler    LAC    vs OAK    7    31    0.2    4.0    56    0.6    17.5    
6    Chris Carson    SEA    vs ARI    21    91    0.7    2.0    11    0.1    17.0    
7    Miles Sanders    PHI    vs DAL    16    61    0.3    4.0    26    0.3    16.3    
8    Mike Boone    MIN    vs GB    18    81    0.7    2.0    11    0.1    16.0    
9    Alvin Kamara    NO    at TEN    13    55    0.3    5.0    22    0.2    15.7    
10    Mark Ingram II    BAL    at CLE    14    71    0.5    2.0    17    0.3    15.6    
This is lunacy

Boone or Le’Veon....PPR. Gotta love week 16. In no way could I imagine pondering this decision back in August.
I picked up Boone in two leagues mainly as block to Dalvin owner who is one of 4 final teams. These are FFPC/PPR leagues and in one league I was mulling over Kupp or Bell for my last spot. But more I consider it, and I'd have to get official word that Cook and Mattison are out by maybe Saturday night if I go Kupp or at the latest before Bell plays Sunday to even be able to do it, but if I get confirmation I believe I will go with Boone.

You say it's hard to consider playing Boone over Bell back in August. Hard to imagine back in early November I'd even consider benching Kupp for anyone, less yet Boone.

The other league I picked him up I am considering using him over Edelman who again I'd normally never consider benching but he's not himself right now. Vikings sound like they are shutting down Dalvin for the regular season,  I believe Dalvin is healthier then Edelman.

Abdullah didn’t touch the ball until garbage time, and GB has given up a bunch of RuTD.

Boone looked great after Cook went down, and with a playoff spot locked up, I can’t see how MIN would possibly play Cook before the playoffs.

Mattison was reportedly not close after a week of DNP’s last week, so we’ll have to see what the report says tomorrow,  but he sounds unlikely - ankle issues take time.

if they’re both out Boone is a PPR RB2 at worst IMO. Hopefully we get clarity - I’m itching to start him over Singletary, who’s matchup is awful. 
Vikings do not have a playoff spot locked up.  They must win one of the two remaining games (unless Rams lose).  After Saturday night the Vikings may have the playoffs wrapped up but they still have a chance at the division so they will be trying to win. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/50161/alexander-mattison

Coach Mike Zimmer said Alexander Mattison (ankle) has a "good chance" to suit up Monday night against the Packers.

Zimmer should not be taken at his word. He's continuously downplayed injury news for the likes of Adam Thielen and Dalvin Cook this season, making the latest update on Mattison worth next to nothing. Reports have indicated Cook won't suit up on Monday night, meaning Mike Boone and Ameer Abdullah would form a two-back committee if the Vikings are without their top-two RBs.

SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter

Dec 19, 2019, 11:34 AM ET

High ankle sprain should mean that we’ll know Mattison’s status by Fri. Practice reports will be telling. 

I'm betting they hold out Cook to get him healed for the playoffs, and Mattison’s high ankle isn’t healed - but the practice reports should give us an indication there. Last week Mattison was DNP all week. 

if that’s the case this week too, jackpot for Boone. 

Vikings do not have a playoff spot locked up.  They must win one of the two remaining games (unless Rams lose).  After Saturday night the Vikings may have the playoffs wrapped up but they still have a chance at the division so they will be trying to win. 
Of course they’ll be trying to win, but why would they risk further injury to Cook in doing so, and taking the chance they don’t have him for the playoffs? 

As for the wild card, you’re technically correct, but they’re about as close to a lock as it gets. 

Heading into the final two weeks of the season, the only possible way for the Vikings to miss the playoffs would be for them to lose out (they face the Packers and Bears at home, where they have yet to lose a game), and for the Rams to win out (at the 49ers, home versus the Cardinals). There will be four chances for the Vikings to clinch a spot, beginning with a Rams loss in San Francisco on Saturday night.

This sounds about right to me

This is lunacy
Minn run game has been $$$ this year, boone setting up to start, he's a much better talent than typical third string, GB can't stop the run. cook was huge against them in first meeting even though GB led the whole way. Bench Boone at your own risk if Mattison cant get a full practice in before sun

Minn run game has been $$$ this year, boone setting up to start, he's a much better talent than typical third string, GB can't stop the run. cook was huge against them in first meeting even though GB led the whole way. Bench Boone at your own risk if Mattison cant get a full practice in before sun
Agreed - Boone looks better than Mattison, IMO. I was a little surprised Boone wasn’t the RB2 after his showing in the preseason, and last week he tore it up on just 13 touches. 

not sure if he’ll be used as a receiver at all - that may be why Mattison was RB2, but I doubt Mattison comes back from a high ankle sprain after missing just 1 week. I can’t remember any player doing that in my decades of playing FF. Regular ankle sprain, maybe - tape it up & good luck. But high ankle sprain? Unpossible. 

Sig...so you sound like you would plan on starting Boone if Mattison can't get in a full practice even if both Cook and Mattison ARE NOT RULED OUT by Sunday at 1 EST?

Is that correct?

That seems like a serious gamble. Especially if you have an alternative (which I do with D. Washington). 

The upside is certainly there, but the downside...a goose egg...is as well. 

Sig...so you sound like you would plan on starting Boone if Mattison can't get in a full practice even if both Cook and Mattison ARE NOT RULED OUT by Sunday at 1 EST?

Is that correct?

That seems like a serious gamble. Especially if you have an alternative (which I do with D. Washington). 

The upside is certainly there, but the downside...a goose egg...is as well. 
i will start boone over lindsay and james white (yes ppr) in my two championship games unless mattison gets in a full practice 

Sigmund Bloom said:
i will start boone over lindsay and james white (yes ppr) in my two championship games unless mattison gets in a full practice 
Would you start him over Henry and A.Jones though? You have him ranked higher, but I just can't see myself pulling the trigger on that. They are the number 2 and 4 RBs in my league this year and while Henry is a bit banged up I still see them both as solid options. 

Dodds now joining the party. 

Increased PPR projection to 15.6. 

10th ranked RB. Slightly below Sig's projection.

And just got an alert that both Cook and Mattison are NOT practicing today.
Added to this that despite Rotoworld quoting cook saying he’s “preparing” for the game, the buried lede was that this is a *new* injury and not a recurrence of the last one.

watching the game, he came off the field with his arm hanging - which usually indicates a dislocation. And given the speed with which he was ruled out, it seemed like they immediately knew it was a serious injury. 

this is speculation on my part, but having suffered multiple shoulder dislocations, I’m pretty good at spotting them & my track record on here has been spot on. Were I a betting man, that’s what I’d say Cook is dealing with - absolutely possible he could play in the playoffs, but it would be medically irresponsible to rush him back, if this is either a severe shoulder sprain, strain or dislocation. 

Sigmund Bloom said:
I have Cook/Mattison/Boone and have been struggling with this decision. My alternative is either Duke Johnson or a flex WR like Breshad Perriman, Sterling Shepherd or Michael Gallup. Or I sit Derrick Henry (injury and tough matchup) for Boone.

Appreciate Sigmund's thoughts; he is literally the only "expert" whose advice I would take with championship on the line.

I have Cook/Mattison/Boone and have been struggling with this decision. My alternative is either Duke Johnson or a flex WR like Breshad Perriman, Sterling Shepherd or Michael Gallup. Or I sit Derrick Henry (injury and tough matchup) for Boone.

Appreciate Sigmund's thoughts; he is literally the only "expert" whose advice I would take with championship on the line.
You’ve got it easier than most of us, since you have all 3. You don’t really have a dilemma here. You’ve got the starter no matter what, and can wait until Monday to decide.

most of us have 1/3 of that group, making it a much more difficult play. 

good luck to you in the championship game, and I envy your circumstance over mine. I actually have to decide before Saturday, since my backup option is either Singleterry or, if I miss Singleterry and Boone isn’t the starter, it will be Mack. :(  

3 hours ago

Minnesota Vikings running back Alexander Mattison (ankle) missed his first game of the year in Week 15 and is currently questionable for Week 16 against the Packers. Mattison is yet to practice this week but appears to be nearing a return to practice in a limited capacity. Head coach Mike Zimmer told reporters that he believes Mattison is "getting better" and has a "good chance to play" in Week 16. Other recent reports have suggested that the team's No. 1 running back Dalvin Cook (shoulder) is unlikely to play in Week 16, which makes Mattison's availability even more key in a pivotal divisional matchup. Mattison would be a potential low-end RB1 in Week 16 if he can go. If Mattison sits, Mike Boone becomes a must-start RB2 and Boone is also a potential flex play if Mattison is active.--Andrew Ericksen - RotoBaller
Source: Courtney Cronin

Might want to keep an eye on this...I'm not convinced it's the Mike Boone Hour just yet.

3 hours ago

Minnesota Vikings running back Alexander Mattison (ankle) missed his first game of the year in Week 15 and is currently questionable for Week 16 against the Packers. Mattison is yet to practice this week but appears to be nearing a return to practice in a limited capacity. Head coach Mike Zimmer told reporters that he believes Mattison is "getting better" and has a "good chance to play" in Week 16. Other recent reports have suggested that the team's No. 1 running back Dalvin Cook (shoulder) is unlikely to play in Week 16, which makes Mattison's availability even more key in a pivotal divisional matchup. Mattison would be a potential low-end RB1 in Week 16 if he can go. If Mattison sits, Mike Boone becomes a must-start RB2 and Boone is also a potential flex play if Mattison is active.--Andrew Ericksen - RotoBaller
Source: Courtney Cronin

Might want to keep an eye on this...I'm not convinced it's the Mike Boone Hour just yet.
Two things to keep in mind:

1. Zimmer is notoriously FOS with injuries. 
2. High ankle sprains are highly unlikely to magically heal in a week. It’s generally a 4-6 week injury. 

I’ll see what tomorrow’s practice report says & use that to guide me. At that point I’ve still got Mack in reserve if Sat practice shows Mattison limited or full.

smart money says both Mattison & Cook are out. 

Users who are viewing this thread