What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Boone, DEN (2 Viewers)

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Zimmer is notoriously FOS with injuries. 
2. High ankle sprains are highly unlikely to magically heal in a week. It’s generally a 4-6 week injury. 

I’ll see what tomorrow’s practice report says & use that to guide me. At that point I’ve still got Mack in reserve if Sat practice shows Mattison limited or full.

smart money says both Mattison & Cook are out. 
I don't want to upset the Cook and Matt owners but since I have Boone, I really like this guy as a flex Roll, last bullet in the chamber if you don't have something in the top 5 range as your RB2, or a top10-15WR option as your flex...this guy has huge upside if he gets the start. And I would love to have him going MNF so you have back up after the weekend. 

I don't want to upset the Cook and Matt owners but since I have Boone, I really like this guy as a flex Roll, last bullet in the chamber if you don't have something in the top 5 range as your RB2, or a top10-15WR option as your flex...this guy has huge upside if he gets the start. And I would love to have him going MNF so you have back up after the weekend. 
I feel the same. I already have Devante Adams and the Vikings kicker. I also have a bunch of guys in the Sunday night game. In fact, 80% of my team is either in the late games or the Sunday or Monday night football games.

I’m sure hoping we get word on Friday that Boone is getting the start. :wub:  

otherwise, I have to roll the dice on Mack, who just stunk on ice against New Orleans.

Per Dr. Chao

Alexander Mattison Unlikely To Play

After going back to review video, the Vikings running back appears to suffer a right high ankle sprain just ahead of the two minute warning versus the Lions. He did not practice last week and is unlikely to be ready this week to be able to practice in full or be effective come game time. With news that the Vikings will elect to sit Dalvin Cook, Mike Boone will likely get the carries versus the Packers and fantasy players that road Cook to the championship will have to take a look at Boone or other options.

https://app.profootballdoc.com/#/live

Boone, Mack, Chubb, Henry a whole bunch of RBs that don’t catch the a ball in PPR to choose.  Selecting two should be fun. 

Boone, Mack, Chubb, Henry a whole bunch of RBs that don’t catch the a ball in PPR to choose.  Selecting two should be fun. 
Boone might catch some passes.  He came into the league with receiving as a plus.  He was a star wide receiver in high school.  He was sometimes lined up as a slot receiver in college.  He had zero receptions on Sunday but the Vikings were up big so game script dictated carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things to keep in mind:

1. Zimmer is notoriously FOS with injuries. 
2. High ankle sprains are highly unlikely to magically heal in a week. It’s generally a 4-6 week injury. 

I’ll see what tomorrow’s practice report says & use that to guide me. At that point I’ve still got Mack in reserve if Sat practice shows Mattison limited or full.

smart money says both Mattison & Cook are out. 
I would love for my opponent to start a player coming off a high ankle sprain after 2 weeks.   

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Agreed - Boone looks better than Mattison, IMO. I was a little surprised Boone wasn’t the RB2 after his showing in the preseason, and last week he tore it up on just 13 touches. 

not sure if he’ll be used as a receiver at all - that may be why Mattison was RB2, but I doubt Mattison comes back from a high ankle sprain after missing just 1 week. I can’t remember any player doing that in my decades of playing FF. Regular ankle sprain, maybe - tape it up & good luck. But high ankle sprain? Unpossible. 
That was in a game that was already decided against a defense that had already given up.  He looked good but I wouldn't put huge expectations just based on that showing. 

Added to this that despite Rotoworld quoting cook saying he’s “preparing” for the game, the buried lede was that this is a *new* injury and not a recurrence of the last one.

watching the game, he came off the field with his arm hanging - which usually indicates a dislocation. And given the speed with which he was ruled out, it seemed like they immediately knew it was a serious injury. 

this is speculation on my part, but having suffered multiple shoulder dislocations, I’m pretty good at spotting them & my track record on here has been spot on. Were I a betting man, that’s what I’d say Cook is dealing with - absolutely possible he could play in the playoffs, but it would be medically irresponsible to rush him back, if this is either a severe shoulder sprain, strain or dislocation. 
The game was already decided and they need him for the win.  It was an easy choice to sit him the rest of the game with even a minor injury.  I am not saying his injury is minor - I have no idea how bad it is but Cook stayed standing on the sidelines and never left the field. 

I would love for my opponent to start a player coming off a high ankle sprain after 2 weeks.   
I don't really think anybody is advocating the play Mattison this week but if he is active it detracts from the upside/usage of Boone which is what the real concern is here. 

As said by others, the Mon night game is going to drive us crazy given all the variables in how this might play out.

Right now, I have to choose between Golladay, Chark (if HE heals up to pay, which is looking like he may), and Boone.

Boone's value is so highly dependent on Cook and Mattison playing -- if either or both are healthy enough to just suit up, Boone's value collapses...even if Cook and/or Mattison are on limited snap counts and carries, it means a drastic change in Boone's point output potential.

We can decide to trust Zimmer or not, wait to see if Cook/Mattison practices tomorrow, read reports and conjecture -- bottom line is that we likely won't truly know until game time on Monday who will be healthy enough to play.

And for those of us who have options in the early and afternoon games on Sat or Sun, it will be too late.

As such, Boone seems like a huge risk given the wide variance in potential value - it seems better to choose between players on the weekend (in my case, Golladay or Chark) than slot in Boone.

I actually think it’s pretty straightforward. Cook and Mattison realistically aren’t going to play, whether or not we get official confirmation by tomorrow. Everything apart from Zimmer’s comment early in the week points to Cook sitting out and Mattison has a high ankle sprain it seems, which won’t heal this week (he also didn’t practice at all last week). I’d be starting Boone with confidence unless you have better options (which you may not).

All Zimmer’s Pollyanna talk about Mattison & Cook,  but it was Boone taking all the 1st team reps today. 

ike Boone RB | MIN

Vikings' Mike Boone: Prepping for potential Week 16 start

(2 hrs ago) Boone took reps with the first-team offense during Thursday's practice while fellow running backs Dalvin Cook (shoulder) and Alexander Mattison (ankle) were non-participants, Courtney Cronin of ESPN.com reports.

Coach Mike Zimmer was unwilling to offer much clarity on either injured back's status as Monday's game against the Packers approaches, though Adam Schefter of ESPN relayed earlier Thursday that Cook is unlikely to suit up in the divisional game and could be withheld from action in Week 17, too. Meanwhile, Cronin notes that Mattison was spotted working out on the side with a trainer but wasn't doing any running or jogging, which doesn't quell any concern about his health after he sat out the Week 16 win over the Chargers. In that game, Boone impressed while working in relief of an injured Cook, carrying 13 times for 56 yards and two touchdowns. For those in need of running back help in the fantasy playoffs, Boone at the very least makes for an appealing speculative pickup if he's available on the waiver wire, given the poor health of the players ahead of him on the depth chart.

I dont think it is straightforward at all.

People speculate that Mattison has a HAS but we do not know that. Some folks have put their credibility on the line for click bait and Twitter. Does not mean that it is true.

I tend to think Cooks injury is related to his previous injury but Cook says it's completely separate from the chest/collarbone.

Any or all of these RB could play this week and I am no closer to knowing what will happen than I was last week.

If you guys want to believe what folks are reporting (when there is no way they should know) good luck to you.

If you guys want to believe what folks are reporting (when there is no way they should know) good luck to you.
I hear what you're saying, and I am also skeptical by nature. 

but I know what I saw when Cook left the field with his arm hanging at his side. And he was ruled out for the game almost instantly. 

as you mentioned, cook said it’s a new injury. So he’s dealing with 2 other injuries plus this new one, and people believe he’s gonna play?

shoulder injuries for RBs are tough - I can’t see ramming Cook into GB’s line 15x When Boone just showed what he could do.

for Mattison it’s a little more straightforward. If he practices at all this week there’s a chance he’ll play. But if he doesn’t practice at all, I don’t see how he could go. So tomorrow’s practice report will be important. They said he was there today working on the side with trainers, but not running or cutting. 

Boone looking better and better. 

Worst case scenario seems like about half the touches right now, is that safe to bet for most? 

He had 2 TDs last week and has a decent path to get a lot of playing time on Monday. 

Lot of teams going into the Finals this week are looking at something like a Top 10 RB as their RB1, they got that part locked up but where Boone becomes juicy are those that typically are rolling a RB in the 2 Slot that typically ranks in the 20-30 range like maybe D.Freeman who has been in and out of owner's line-ups and in Non PPR leagues it's hard to ever play Freeman right now. 

In the Flex spots you have to look at Boone and it opens up the Chess Board, if he fills a true RB2 slot by Sunday Morning, now you can Flex another WR you see...(John Ross!) 

Just allows for so much flexibility going into the weekend.  

I don't know how anyone could reliably make this determination at this point. How can you?
I don’t think you can yet. But it’s trending that way. Friday practice report is pretty important. I believe there’s a Saturday walk-through that gets reported also? 

time will tell. 

also email me - I owe ya your winnings! 

Lot of teams going into the Finals this week are looking at something like a Top 10 RB as their RB1, they got that part locked up but where Boone becomes juicy are those that typically are rolling a RB in the 2 Slot that typically ranks in the 20-30 range like maybe D.Freeman who has been in and out of owner's line-ups and in Non PPR leagues it's hard to ever play Freeman right now. 

this is me to a T. I’ve got Carson RB1, and can choose Singletary or Mack. Singletary has a tough matchup & Mack just made me very nervous against the Saints. He doesn’t get receptions, so added to his risk is the risk of a negative game script erasing him from the offense. 

Ideally it’d come down to Singletary Vs Boone, but the upside of a Boone feature-back type play is causing me to roll the dice on what I see as the biggest upside play. If I learn by Sunday AM that Matttison or Cook could play, ill go with Mack. 

But of the 3 I think Boone has the highest upside, so in a game where moonshots can win championships, I’mma take the moonshot at RB2 if it’s looking like a feasible play.!

I hear what you're saying, and I am also skeptical by nature. 

but I know what I saw when Cook left the field with his arm hanging at his side. And he was ruled out for the game almost instantly. 

as you mentioned, cook said it’s a new injury. So he’s dealing with 2 other injuries plus this new one, and people believe he’s gonna play?

shoulder injuries for RBs are tough - I can’t see ramming Cook into GB’s line 15x When Boone just showed what he could do.

for Mattison it’s a little more straightforward. If he practices at all this week there’s a chance he’ll play. But if he doesn’t practice at all, I don’t see how he could go. So tomorrow’s practice report will be important. They said he was there today working on the side with trainers, but not running or cutting. 

Boone looking better and better. 
You are right that I may just be too skeptical.

Looking around the usual suspects in the media all seem to be singing the same tune.

Maybe they are actually right this time.

I just dont trust the information because its something that should not be known. the team does not want anyone to know yet everyone seems convinced that Mattison has a high ankle sprain just because some folks said so.

My issue with this may be more about respect and protocol where if you are in a position to have inside information you should not be shouting it from the mountain tops but here we are.

A journalist has no risk of repercussion if they are wrong about this either, they already got the exposure they were looking for out of it.

the team does not want anyone to know yet everyone seems convinced that Mattison has a high ankle sprain just because some folks said so.
well; that and he didn’t get in a single practice since turning his ankle, so that lends credibility to the reports that if not a high ankle sprain, it’s a bad sprain. If it were a mild sprain he likely would have been practicing today, but he reportedly didn’t run or cut. That also seems informational. 

My issue with this may be more about respect and protocol where if you are in a position to have inside information you should not be shouting it from the mountain tops but here we are.

A journalist has no risk of repercussion if they are wrong about this either, they already got the exposure they were looking for out of it.
I agree with alllllll of this part. :yes:  

The Min run first offense plus easy matchup and at home is factored into all this.  I’m trying to decide Boone over Conner or Washington at flex even as a PPR option.  No don’t give me any advice.  If I hear Cook and Mattison are out by Sun morning then I’m all in on Boone.  These fringe RB2s have nowhere the upside Min has.

I have all three guys and just want some clarity before kickoff. I’m fine rolling with whoever will carry the load, because I trust all thee guys and don’t have any better options. But I’m terrified that we won’t have any idea who’ll carry the load until the game is underway. 

The Min run first offense plus easy matchup and at home is factored into all this.  I’m trying to decide Boone over Conner or Washington at flex even as a PPR option.  No don’t give me any advice.  If I hear Cook and Mattison are out by Sun morning then I’m all in on Boone.  These fringe RB2s have nowhere the upside Min has.
Im in the same boat.  In my flex it will be either Washington or Boone....If I dont have clarity by 425 into my lineup  goes  washington.  The caveat is IF I decide to roll the dice and lost  the only 2 real options who are unrostered and havent played yet are  alan lazard wr  GB  or  irv  smith te minn

One thing’s for certain - all Boone owners are gonna be huge Niners fans on Saturday night. 

If the Rams lose, I believe the Vikes are in the playoffs. If that happens, they should have less incentive to rush back either running back (pun half-intended)

:)  

One thing’s for certain - all Boone owners are gonna be huge Niners fans on Saturday night. 

If the Rams lose, I believe the Vikes are in the playoffs. If that happens, they should have less incentive to rush back either running back (pun half-intended)

And I'm playing against two 49ers in Sanders and Mostert. Maybe my Kittle will do all the scoring.

Man I love fantasy football. Has there ever been a situation like this? Top handcuff in the league all year long just to be injured in the championship game and some of us considering the third string rb. 

Man I love fantasy football. Has there ever been a situation like this? Top handcuff in the league all year long just to be injured in the championship game and some of us considering the third string rb. 
Yes, but I can’t remember the details. I only remember it because I was holding the handcuff that got hurt & I didn’t get the next man up - my opponent diid.  Also don’t remember if playoffs or LCG. 

Otis said:
I just have a bad feeling that I’m going to feel obligated to start Barkley and Chubb, and they’re both going to have bum games, while Boone will blow up on my bench.  If both Cook and Mattison are deemed out by Sunday at 1pm, could be a tough decision.
I'm in the same boat.  I have Carson, Chubb, D Freeman, M Sanders, Mostert and Boone.  You all should pay close attention to who I start because whoever is on my bench will have a career day.  🙄

Maybe not in the championship game but wasn't David Johnson 3rd string RB when Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington both got hurt in the same game and Johnson won a lot of leagues that year.

Also Damien Williams after Hunt suspension. Ware was the starter and sucked but then got hurt.

Bloom is all over Boone on twitter today.....
Yup. He's really planting a flag on Boone. Would be a big egg in face moment if this doesn't pan out.

Bloom lowered projections though from 16 down to 14.2 PPR points.

The Athletic posted an article (that is not free and I can't read) that says MN is looking at wild card weekend for Cook.

I'm really praying today we don't see any BS vague info from Zimmer indicating that both Cook and Mattison still have a chance to play. Ideal situation is they both fail to practice. Even better, both are ruled out. And if the latter, my drinking schedule for Friday evening accelerates due to joy.

This is important.

Let's just say that we don't have Cook and / or Mattison ruled out, BUT SF wins. This would make me more comfortable taking the leap of faith on Boone. 

I think Cook will be held out the last 2 weeks. That’s the word here in MN. 

CJ Ham is a capable RB. So going into GB with Boone/Ameer/Ham isn’t ideal but they all bring something.  I think MN would be fine with this. 

My sense is Boone should get 15 touches. 

Maybe not in the championship game but wasn't David Johnson 3rd string RB when Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington both got hurt in the same game and Johnson won a lot of leagues that year.
Yes. 

:violin: :ptts:

I had a very good team that year with David Johnson riding the pine.  Gronk got hurt the week before Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington got hurt, so I cut David Johnson figuring it would take 2 injuries to elevate him to starter - unfortunate timing for me.  I ended up losing in the championship game that year (but not to the guy who picked up Johnson).  Had Gronk not been injured or had I cut someone else I would have won that year  :cry:  

Users who are viewing this thread