What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*WAIVER WIRE PICK-UPS AFTER WEEK 5* (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
 Time to get a head start thinking about what owners will be looking for this week.

Early "desperation adds"............

I'll start with "pick your poison NYG RB's" .    Gallman out with a concussion.

I suppose if you were truly hurting,  someone somewhere, started MASON RUDOLPH.   He is likely out for a week or two after being knocked out cold on the field. I doubt anyone is looking to start a 3rd string Pittsburgh QB, but I suppose someone somewhere may have to.

Who all ya got?    

TZM

Ito Smith if he's still out there, esp. in PPR.

Chase Edmonds.

Sanu had a good game, may be flexable in favorable matchups to cover byes

Same with Coutee in HOU and Willy Snead in BAL

Dionte Johnson in PPR.

Is Demaryus Thomas worth a look on NYJ?

Darious Slayton though seems like a 1-week wonder.

Hunter Henry if he was dropped?  Everett is also intriguing....well anyone is intriguing when you have OJ Howard.

Minshew, maybe Bridgewater

I don't see much.  If you have NE D you probably know that week 10 to 14 stretch isn't the greatest.  The Colts are vs Miami during the Pats week 10 bye.   

Week 11 vs Jax (NE at Philly)

12 @Hou(NE vs Dallas)

13 vs Tenn (NE @ Hou)

14 @TB (NE vs KC) I don't really like either of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunter Henry if he was dropped?  Everett is also intriguing....well anyone is intriguing when you have OJ Howard.

I don't see much.  If you have NE D you probably know that week 10 to 14 stretch isn't the greatest.  The Colts are vs Miami during the Pats week 10 bye.   

12 @Hou(NE vs Dallas)

13 vs Tenn (NE @ Hou)

Jets pair up best with NE D

Reggie Bonnafon  - No standalone value probably, but in deeper leagues where backups to beasts are worth rostering.  He would seem to be the pick over Jordan Scarlett.

Jets pair up best with NE D
I've been eyeing this since the season began as the Jets later season schedule is soft, but after allowing the Bills to score 17 in week 1, they allowed CLE to hang 23 points on them, NE racked up 30, and the Eagles just scored 31.

The latter three teams in particular are some fairly high octane offenses (CLE more on paper than in reality this year yet, anyhow), but I wonder if the Jets D is more a victim of circumstance (being on the field so often because of a poor offense, etc.) or whether they are not as good as we think they can be.

I've been eyeing this since the season began as the Jets later season schedule is soft, but after allowing the Bills to score 17 in week 1, they allowed CLE to hang 23 points on them, NE racked up 30, and the Eagles just scored 31.

The latter three teams in particular are some fairly high octane offenses (CLE more on paper than in reality this year yet, anyhow), but I wonder if the Jets D is more a victim of circumstance (being on the field so often because of a poor offense, etc.) or whether they are not as good as we think they can be.
Eagles actually only scored 17. We got 2 defensive TDs. I'd check the other games for similar scoring. Jets defense is not bad. Not good but not bad. Their offense does them no favors though.

Ito Smith if he's still out there, esp. in PPR.

Chase Edmonds.

Sanu had a good game, may be flexable in favorable matchups to cover byes

Same with Coutee in HOU and Willy Snead in BAL

Dionte Johnson in PPR.

Is Demaryus Thomas worth a look on NYJ?

Darious Slayton though seems like a 1-week wonder.
As a David Johnson owner, I think this will be the week that I grab up Edmonds and let go of one of my higher ceiling lotto tix (Malcolm Brown or Darrel Wiliams). 

Now to decide which one...

As a David Johnson owner, I think this will be the week that I grab up Edmonds and let go of one of my higher ceiling lotto tix (Malcolm Brown or Darrel Wiliams). 

Now to decide which one...
Similar situation. I had Edmonds until a couple weeks ago when I decided to take a flyer.  Deciding now whether to drop Ito Smith and try to get him back.

They get some defensive players back soon and getting their QB back soon as well.

They get some defensive players back soon and getting their QB back soon as well.
I think this is key; and even though Darnold isn't exactly an elite QB, just having him back allows the offense to be a bit better and, in turn, not having the defense on the field for the majority of the game(s). 

Darnold, and Herndon in smaller leagues.

Gerald Everett feels for real as a player, just a matter of whether the targets are.

Can Cousins be trusted or was this just some grease for the squeaky wheels. 
I think Cousins can be a decent QB2. 15-20 range. he's got some nice matchups too. 

Insein said:
Eagles actually only scored 17. We got 2 defensive TDs. I'd check the other games for similar scoring. Jets defense is not bad. Not good but not bad. Their offense does them no favors though.
And they've been without their best defender.

Not sure if it warrants it's own weekly thread, but I think it's worth creating something to follow players who you'd be looking to drop for these weekly waiver adds. 

Below are some of my thoughts:

QB's:

• honestly wouldn't knock anyone for dropping any QB they don't feel is performing outside like the top 5 or so as you can likely stream someone any given week who could get you more points than the QB8 - QB14
RB's:

• Darrell Williams - would like to "HOLD", but depending on league/ roster size & injuries/ bye weeks, I can see dropping him for the DJ (Edmonds) or Cook (Mattison) handcuffs
  • Gallman - he's out this week and it looks like Brackley will be back sooner than we thought
  • Jaylen Samuels - out for over a month now; easy drop
  • Malcom Brown - Gurley cuff most likely, but don't really see him holding much value unless Gurly goes down and even then, i'm not sure i'd feel confident to start
  • Rashaad Penny - Carson back to being the man in SEA 
  • Mostert - another one I could see holding, but he's now behind 2 RB's; albeit both are fairly injury prone
WR's:

• Deebo Samuels/ Goodwin/ Pettis - I don't see any SF WR really holding much value this year
  • MVS/ Allison - see above, replace SF with GB (aside from a "healthy" Adams of course)
  • Diontae Johnson - Juju = the only WR even worth owing in PIT
  • Agholor - barring Alshon getting injured again, Agholor is essentially worthless
  • Corey Davis - can be dropped in 10-team leagues and possibly in 12-teams if the spot is needed
  • Sterling Shepard - personally I'd hold, but who knows how long the concussion is going to keep him out. If in a pinch, I could see dropping
  • Cole Beasley
TE's:

• OJ Howard - if he hasn't been dropped already...
  • Ben Watson - high hopes to be activated for NE...not so much
  • both Indy TE's

I'm sure I'm missing some, but this should be a good start

Not sure if it warrants it's own weekly thread, but I think it's worth creating something to follow players who you'd be looking to drop for these weekly waiver adds. 

Below are some of my thoughts:

QB's:

• honestly wouldn't knock anyone for dropping any QB they don't feel is performing outside like the top 5 or so as you can likely stream someone any given week who could get you more points than the QB8 - QB14
RB's:

• Darrell Williams - would like to "HOLD", but depending on league/ roster size & injuries/ bye weeks, I can see dropping him for the DJ (Edmonds) or Cook (Mattison) handcuffs
  • Gallman - he's out this week and it looks like Brackley will be back sooner than we thought
  • Jaylen Samuels - out for over a month now; easy drop
  • Malcom Brown - Gurley cuff most likely, but don't really see him holding much value unless Gurly goes down and even then, i'm not sure i'd feel confident to start
  • Rashaad Penny - Carson back to being the man in SEA 
  • Mostert - another one I could see holding, but he's now behind 2 RB's; albeit both are fairly injury prone
WR's:

• Deebo Samuels/ Goodwin/ Pettis - I don't see any SF WR really holding much value this year
  • MVS/ Allison - see above, replace SF with GB (aside from a "healthy" Adams of course)
  • Agholor - barring Alshon getting injured again, Agholor is essentially worthless
  • Corey Davis - can be dropped in 10-team leagues and possibly in 12-teams if the spot is needed
  • Sterling Shepard - personally I'd hold, but who knows how long the concussion is going to keep him out. If in a pinch, I could see dropping
  • Cole Beasley
TE's:

• OJ Howard - if he hasn't been dropped already...
  • Ben Watson - high hopes to be activated for NE...not so much
  • both Indy TE's

I'm sure I'm missing some, but this should be a good start
Great idea and great list. :thumbup:

I might agree with MVS being droppable if I wasn't thisclose to dropping Fuller a week ago.  Seems like a matter of time before MVS puts up a big week also.

Yep good list @4th and Inches.  David Johnson owner here, deciding whether to drop Brown or Darrel for Edmonds.  Leaning Brown, and your post helped.
I don't own DJ, but do have Darrell and while I can see Darrell having more week-to-week value as McCoy & Other Williams have the injury propensity, I think Edmonds has the potential upside of a low RB1 if DJ goes down. 

I might agree with MVS being droppable if I wasn't thisclose to dropping Fuller a week ago.  Seems like a matter of time before MVS puts up a big week also.
I hear ya and with Adams still hurt, might still be a "hold", but that GB passing game is just not what it once was. If I'm in a pinch and need to drop someone for a bye week/ injury, I'd rather have the floor of a LOT of WR's over MVS for a 1-week fill-in. 

Longterm I think he could hold more value, but I'm extremely disappointed in this GB passing game from a fantasy perspective

Love Chase Edmonds if you've got the roster space.  League winner if Johnson goes down.

Benny Snell is at least interesting.  Samuels out a month.  Conner has been banged up.

arctic_panzer_wolf said:

12 @Hou(NE vs Dallas)

13 vs Tenn (NE @ Hou)

Looking at Everett to fill in for Wallers bye.

Snell would not be interesting if you watched the preseason. He was a huge disappointment.
I watched Snell for 3 years at Kentucky.  I don't think he's a fantasy mainstay--but this time of year, finding a backup that falls into a significant role can give excellent returns.  Bad QB situation, sure.  But great offensive line.  

I wouldn't add him in your team 10 12 man rosters on the Yahoo Public leagues.  But deeper rosters--he's worth a stash

DJ was dealing with a bad back on Sunday.  I think that's the reason Edmonds got the snaps he did.
Not exactly. He had 8 attempts for 68 yards and a touch this weekend; 6 attempts last week for 37 yards when DJ's back was fine.

His attempts have gone up the last three weeks, and so has his snap %.

Make no mistake, I don't think Chase is taking over the backfield. This weekend he makes a great pickup in case DJ can't go.

But I can also see him being an ongoing contributor in this offense. Wouldn't be surprised to see the team use him more as the season went on to protect DJ's health.

How real is Everett? In a league that only allows 10 waiver claims and I already used one on a TE. Currently have Doyle and McDonald, and I am not impressed with either. Is it worth dropping Doyle for him?

How real is Everett? In a league that only allows 10 waiver claims and I already used one on a TE. Currently have Doyle and McDonald, and I am not impressed with either. Is it worth dropping Doyle for him?
Worth dropping Doyle but I wouldn't count on any kind of consistency from Everett.

As a Kupp owner who was paying close attention to the Rams offense, that had zero need at *TE... I snagged him two weeks ago because of what I saw.  These last two weeks fall right into that which seemed like a pretty damn easy/obvious/worthy add. Now hopefully Sean McVay doesn't change it up.

*16-teamer with large roster.

Last edited by a moderator:
WR's:

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Diontae Johnson played 55 offensive snaps in Week 5, matching the number of WR JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Analysis: Johnson caught five of a season-high eight targets for 27 yards in the overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens. He has seen at least six targets in three straight games and had a touchdown in each of his previous two outings. He's a flex option as long as QB Mason Rudolph (concussion) is under center.

🧮

Would you guys drop penny as a carson owner and pickup coleman?
Would need to see the rest of the roster, but probably not. Messy backfield and injury issues worry me on Coleman for consistent production, but the niners look like they may be making 2 weekly viable fantasy RBs a possibility. Penny gives you a lead back in a run heavy offense if Carson gets hurt. And if he has another case of fumblitis, I’d think he becomes more used as well

Would you guys drop penny as a carson owner and pickup coleman?
I have Carson and Coleman. I'm trying to acquire Penny but only willing to pay a handcuff price and the owner remains unconvinced that he isn't his season saviour at RB. If anyone other than Carson gets injured, Coleman is potentially flex-able. In that context he has more value than Penny right now.

Would need to see the rest of the roster, but probably not. Messy backfield and injury issues worry me on Coleman for consistent production, but the niners look like they may be making 2 weekly viable fantasy RBs a possibility. Penny gives you a lead back in a run heavy offense if Carson gets hurt. And if he has another case of fumblitis, I’d think he becomes more used as well
Yeah I dont need to start penny or Coleman right now so I guess penny still has more value to me.  Thanks

Ugh. 16-team league so the wire is thiiiiiin. Been struggling for a RB2 all season since Guice went down.  Only required to start 1, but CMC's bye is coming up and I'm looking at Ty Johnson, Darrell Williams, or a WW pickup from guys like McKissic, DeAndre Washington, Ty Montgomery, Jeff WIlson, etc. :X

Might try to grab Jon Hillman and hope Barkley isn't ready for the Arizona game, but it's sounding like he might be back by then

So, really no suggestions, here. Mostly venting.

I have Carson and Coleman. I'm trying to acquire Penny but only willing to pay a handcuff price and the owner remains unconvinced that he isn't his season saviour at RB. If anyone other than Carson gets injured, Coleman is potentially flex-able. In that context he has more value than Penny right now.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Coleman's ~50% share and GL looks is more valuable than Penny even in the event Carson is out.  Penny just hasn't impressed me.  There's a stark dropoff from Carson, from what I've seen.

I am going after Edmonds in my other league, since I have DJ.  Was going to drop Ito Smith, but he seems to be trending up, so now I think I'll drop Corey Davis. I can go 3RB/2WR in that league, and I have only started him once (got burned doing it).  Still have Cooks, Hill, and Robinson, plus MVS, Diontae and Unicorn to cover bye/injury.

Users who are viewing this thread