What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Travis Kelce Shoves Coach - How Bad? (1 Viewer)

How Bad Was Travis Kelce Shoving The Coach?

• 1 - Not Bad At All

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • 2 - A Little Bad

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • 3 - On The Fence

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • 4 - Pretty Bad

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • 5 - Awful

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I posted the video on Twitter yesterday of Travis Kelce shoving coach Eric Bienemy on the sidelines. And later hugging him.

https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1181036947801817089?s=20

I used the caption: 

Travis Kelce shoving a coach will be played off as “heat of battle”. Partly because everyone loves Kelce and Bienemy isn’t a high profile coach. And that kind of sucks.
This seemed to create opinions on both sides and thought I'd ask here. How bad do you think this incident was?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what was said so it is hard to make any judgement pertaining to severity.

I do think heat of the battle things happen though, especially in a sport where violence is paramount.  I have seen Brady and Josh McDaniels be steps away from trying to kill each other on the sidelines.  This stuff probably is close to happening on every sideline more than we think.

And for sure, I don't think there are right or wrong answers here. I'm asking for opinions.

For the folks that don't think it was very bad, can you elaborate? 

More "heat of the moment?".

"It's a violent sport played by aggressive people?"

How much did hugging after matter?

That kind of thing.

I'm a huge fan of Travis Kelce, I'm a fan of OSU football first but I also root on the UC Bearcats so I've been rooting for both Travis and Jason for a while now.  Having said that, honestly, I think he should have been sent to the locker room immediately after that and I believe the team (at minimum) should suspend him for at least 4 games.  Again, to be clear, I don't say this as a KC hater or Travis Kelce hater, I say it as someone who detests this kind of disrespect.  There's no place for that, it's incredibly uncalled for and it should be punished. 

Yelling, disagreeing, etc. is not what I'm talking about. I'm saying, if a coach did this to a player I would fully expect that coach to be suspended for 4 games without pay, same thing.  There's no call for it either way.

This type of thing is meaningless to me unless there's either a pattern or history.  These are grown men in the heat of the moment.

Having said that - I do think there's a double standard for guys that are perceived "good guys" vs. "bad guys" - I honestly have no clue where Kelce falls on that spectrum.

Final note - I think this only applies in the NFL or pro leagues - I'd look less favorably on this in college and on down the line to where it's a complete no for anybody below college level.

Was that a shove?  It looked more like, "hey, you're getting a little too close....let me ease you back a little".  I think if Kelce wanted to shove him, his ### would be on the ground.

But yeah, Kelce probably shouldn't put his hands at all on a coach.

Was that a shove?  It looked more like, "hey, you're getting a little too close....let me ease you back a little".  I think if Kelce wanted to shove him, his ### would be on the ground.

But yeah, Kelce probably shouldn't put his hands at all on a coach.
It was a 'get out of my face I don't want to talk to you now' push.  

It wasn't something that looked like it could cause harm, so a simple shove like that isn't a huge deal.  And the fact they hugged it out before the game was over, I think, shows neither thought it was a big deal.  

This isn't a corporate office workplace.  These guys are paid to be violent.  So while I don't think Dan from Accounting could get away with shoving Bob from HR, I don't think a football player and coach shoving each other and yelling at each other is a big deal.  Or even a small deal.

Stuff happens in the heat of the battle in a very intense game.  Each incident at this level needs to be looked at individually as well as who was involved.  If this is an isolated case by Kelce (I have no idea one way or the other) and proper communication and leadership are in place this can blow over and be learned from.  If this happens continually then things need to happen to stop it from continuing. 

Without knowing any of the facts or surrounding circumstances the "punishment" cannot be commented on.  This kind of thing should not happen and it should be communicated as such for future actions.  That is not to say that mistakes can't be made and dealt with accordingly. 

Bienemy: "Stop dropping the ball you big effing dope."

Kelce: "Do you not realize who I am?"

Bienemy: "You look like Travis Benjamin today."*

*my interpretation of last nights events
The International Association of Firefighters has endorsed Nelson Agholor as the comp here.  Please update your notes.

I was expecting something more to the shove, something more forceful and physical.  Inappropriate?  Maybe, probably, but mostly meh

So in a sport where players getting their knees snapped and brains concussed is normal, one guy pushing another guy is controversial? 

THE HECK???

SHIZNITTTT said:
It is never ok for a coach or a player to put their hands on each other.   
I found this to be true when people wanted to pat my butt because I did something good.  

I don't care if it's the NFL, corporate America or a lemonade stand... It's never OK to physically altercate with your boss (or anyone for that matter) IMO.  That he is able to get away with it only adds to his entitled attitude.  Disagree with him all you want, but you don't need to shove him.  If I hit my boss every time I disagreed with him he'd be a bruised mess.  And so would I if my direct reports hit me.  How about a little respect?

I don't care if it's the NFL, corporate America or a lemonade stand... It's never OK to physically altercate with your boss (or anyone for that matter) IMO.  That he is able to get away with it only adds to his entitled attitude.  Disagree with him all you want, but you don't need to shove him.  If I hit my boss every time I disagreed with him he'd be a bruised mess.  And so would I if my direct reports hit me.  How about a little respect?
you assume he considers him his boss.  My guess is he doesn't...prob much closer to a colleague

What if your boss got up in your face yelling at you and leaned into you?

OR 

Called your mother a whore?

players coaches trainers, etc are all part of a TEAM....they are all teammates....teammates fight....and they are all pros and they get paid....stuff like this happens....I for one like the passion.....and willingness to call each other out....they both care...I'm good with it....I don't expect them to handle things perfectly and "politically correct"....maybe EB didn't say things the way we think he "should" have....maybe Kelce didn't react the way we think he should have....I'm not expecting these guys to model behavior for my children, etc....this isn't amateur sports.....no big deal....stuff like this can actually make a team stronger...they made a "mistake" and in our eyes "mishandled their emotions"....looks like they recognized that, apologized in their own way and have moved on....isn't that what we would all expect if we make a mistake...?... nothing to see here unless you want to hug the tree of "OMG they shouldn't do that, we have to make a big deal out of it"....people are waaaaaaaay to sensitive these days....

I'm sure it will be addressed internally/behind closed doors and we may not ever know "how" it was addressed....so that won't be "good enough" and will continue to make everybody's head explode.....people will demand to know the "consequence" if there was one like they are entitled to know how it was "handled"....if you make a mistake at work and receive a "consequence" do all of your coworkers and the general public get to know how it was handled....?

Soapbox time.

I realize clicks and follows help your business... but seriously, why does it have to become reality TV?

Not only don't I care, but despite the effort I make to NOT see/hear/read grown men get caught up in NFLKardashian faux drama.. I can't avoid it.  This is now what the game is about - athletes are no longer just entertainers playing a sport (which I like), but rather characters in a TV drama series with plots and story lines that have nothing to do with the sport - the sport that by itself is entertaining.  I have never been less engaged in NFL football in my life - because you can't swing a dead cat in this space without hitting a dozen girly gossip threads/articles/tweets/posts. NFL FOOTBALL reduced to nothing more than another Housewives of XXXX....  :X

Off my soap box.

I realize clicks and follows help your business... but seriously, why does it have to become reality TV?
Not really. I might add 5 twitter followers from something like this. And that'll translate to about 25 cents. Maybe.

Lots of people see sports as more than just the actual pass or rush on the field. Doesn't make it "reality tv". It's a team effort and people look at how the pieces fit together. I think people are interested in this type of coach : player thing. If you look at my twitter feed, it's not exactly hard hitting X's and O's. It's a lot of random things I see I find interesting. This was one. :shrug:

Soapbox time.

Not only don't I care, but despite the effort I make to NOT see/hear/read grown men get caught up in NFLKardashian faux drama.. I can't avoid it.  This is now what the game is about - athletes are no longer just entertainers playing a sport (which I like), but rather characters in a TV drama series with plots and story lines that have nothing to do with the sport - the sport that by itself is entertaining.  I have never been less engaged in NFL football in my life - because you can't swing a dead cat in this space without hitting a dozen girly gossip threads/articles/tweets/posts. NFL FOOTBALL reduced to nothing more than another Housewives of XXXX....  :X

Off my soap box.
Sounds like you need to switch to the NBA

Not really. I might add 5 twitter followers from something like this. And that'll translate to about 25 cents. Maybe.

Lots of people see sports as more than just the actual pass or rush on the field. Doesn't make it "reality tv". It's a team effort and people look at how the pieces fit together. I think people are interested in this type of coach : player thing. If you look at my twitter feed, it's not exactly hard hitting X's and O's. It's a lot of random things I see I find interesting. This was one. :shrug:
Players and coaches arguing even fighting on the sideline has been non newsworthy for decades.

Now it is clickbait.

I'm not trying to single you out.. it is everyone, everywhere.  A pet peeve of mine.

It should go without saying that no one should be touching anyone, but this really doesn't move the needle for me. 

The term "shoved" is a lot more aggressive than what Kelce did. I highly doubt Eric Bienemy would consider what happened "pretty bad" or "awful".

Players and coaches arguing even fighting on the sideline has been non newsworthy for decades.

Now it is clickbait.

I'm not trying to single you out.. it is everyone, everywhere.  A pet peeve of mine.
Can't speak for anyone else. For me, I can say positively it's not clickbait. I'm not looking for "clicks". It's something I saw I thought was interesting. :shrug:

Now it is clickbait.

Woody Hayes and Bob Knight would agree, nothing to see here, move along. :)  

I didn't want to leave that comment as flippant without context.  FWIW, I love both of these guys (Woody and Bob), both changed the game for the better, I think both guys were/are good guys, I mean, hell I don't know if most people realize this but AFTER Woody was fired at tOSU, he maintained his office, he was on the payroll and he continued to teach at the University.  Bob Knight donated millions and millions of his own money to IU.  Again, both admirable men, both were wrong.

I'm a firm believer in chain of command, I'm a firm believer in mutual respect.  I think laying hands on someone, in anger, is intolerable.  Even in the the heat of battle, let alone the heat of entertainment, are grounds for discipline.

Soapbox time.

Off my soap box.
DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS?

Can't speak for anyone else. For me, I can say positively it's not clickbait. I'm not looking for "clicks". It's something I saw I thought was interesting. :shrug:
Fair enough.

And obviously the masses find it interesting - thus the deluge of off field non football drama coverage drowning out the coverage of... football.

Fair enough.

And obviously the masses find it interesting - thus the deluge of off field non football drama coverage drowning out the coverage of... football.
Ive never really bought into this. I think assuming people are interested in something simply because they watch it is nonsense. I think many times people put up with it (which is different than liking it) simply because they like the sport and follow it. 

I didnt watch the sports programs and pre-game shows to see the AB drama, but it was on, so I watched it. I dont think there's a way to quantify why people are watching, but from my experience, I think most people dislike it. 

Ive never really bought into this. I think assuming people are interested in something simply because they watch it is nonsense. I think many times people put up with it (which is different than liking it) simply because they like the sport and follow it. 

I didnt watch the sports programs and pre-game shows to see the AB drama, but it was on, so I watched it. I dont think there's a way to quantify why people are watching, but from my experience, I think most people dislike it. 
I agree and this is kind of the way a lot of things are, not just sports.  One outlet starts showing this, so the others follow suit because they are afraid to miss out.  Eventually, they are all showing it all of the time.  And they point to their ratings and say, "Look.  People like watching it."  But in reality, it's kind of being forced on us.  There is no other option because they all show it.  

It really is one reason I'm not into the NFL that much anymore.   Manufactured drama, talking head that this guy tweeted about this guy and this guy said this about this player and this player might hold out.   I just dont give a #### about any of that

Perfect timing as I walk past my TV and notice guys talking about some NBA guy I don't know tweeting something about Hong Kong and now China is mad, but should we be mad because they are mad, what about our rights, but Harden just said he loves China,  but what about what this guy said about the tweet........................

It just makes me laugh now.

Get off my lawn and give me back my highlights.

Now it is clickbait.

People used to use the "n" word for decades and it wasn't newsworthy either.  Times change, attitudes shift, people realize that some of the stuff that used to happen shouldn't have happened.  There may be too much of a focus on the drama aspect of sports but imo this isn't one of those cases.

People used to use the "n" word for decades and it wasn't newsworthy either.  Times change, attitudes shift, people realize that some of the stuff that used to happen shouldn't have happened.  There may be too much of a focus on the drama aspect of sports but imo this isn't one of those cases.
Still not newsworthy.

Users who are viewing this thread