What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Travis Kelce Shoves Coach - How Bad? (1 Viewer)

ON A SCALE OF 1 (NOT BAD AT ALL) TO 5 (AWFUL) HOW BAD WAS TRAVIS KELCE SHOVING THE COACH?

• 1 - Not Bad At All

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • 2 - A Little Bad

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • 3 - On The Fence

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • 4 - Pretty Bad

Votes: 37 27.8%
  • 5 - Awful

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I posted the video on Twitter yesterday of Travis Kelce shoving coach Eric Bienemy on the sidelines. And later hugging him.

https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1181036947801817089?s=20

I used the caption: 

Travis Kelce shoving a coach will be played off as “heat of battle”. Partly because everyone loves Kelce and Bienemy isn’t a high profile coach. And that kind of sucks.
This seemed to create opinions on both sides and thought I'd ask here. How bad do you think this incident was?

Last edited by a moderator:
And for sure, I don't think there are right or wrong answers here. I'm asking for opinions.

For the folks that don't think it was very bad, can you elaborate? 

More "heat of the moment?".

"It's a violent sport played by aggressive people?"

How much did hugging after matter?

That kind of thing.

I voted "Not Bad At All" but I suppose you could convince me that it was A Little Bad.

These guys are amped up and encouraged to be violent while on the football field. If some of that testosterone is still flowing in the moment that they reach the sideline, I'm not going to be outraged.

Hard to answer without the context leading up to it.  I guess I would vote "on the fence"

That said, it's an emotionally charged game they play......but you can't just shove a coach or a referee, in a way, you need to keep some emotions in check.

Kelce appears to understand that he took it too far, and did something about it.  I respect that.  But he needs to be careful in that he doesn't get labeled as a hothead.

:shrug: how does Bienemy feel about it?  If he's alright with it (and it kinda looks like he is, at least on the surface, given the hug afterward), then I don't have a problem with it.  

Having had Bienemy on my FF team back in the day, I'm surprised he didn't fall down for a loss of yards.  Voted a little bad, The media makes every little shove on the sideline into a big fight.  You know that if Bienemy got a head coaching gig, he wouldn't hesitate to sign Kelce because of a shove.

Also, I had a coworker that would give me a shoulder check at the printer and stare me down.  I always thought it was funny because he was maybe an inch taller than me.  Seems like it's just alpha male behavior.  I'd expect it more on a football sideline than I would at the printer in the office, but guys are guys.

:shrug: how does Bienemy feel about it?  If he's alright with it (and it kinda looks like he is, at least on the surface, given the hug afterward), then I don't have a problem with it.  
Either Bienemy is alright with it, or he'll say he's alright with it even though he really isn't.

Either Bienemy is alright with it, or he'll say he's alright with it even though he really isn't.
This. 

Either one wouldn't be surprising. None i of us will know which is true but in the end, it's not all that bad unless Kelce develops a habit.

He's always reminded me of somebody who can handle his emotions. He's always upset and pouting when not putting up big numbers.

That being said, it shouldn't have happened. It's your coach.

Coaches yell at players all the time. Defensible or not, it's part of the dynamic/culture of the NFL, pro sports, and (more unfortunately) competitive amateur and kid sports.

So -- aside from the fact that I disagree with yelling to achieve performance overall -- players yelling back at coaches, while likely seen as out of line, also seems both inevitable and allowable in the heat of battle. 

Coaches aren't/shouldn't be physically putting their hands on players. Ever. At any level of sport.

So I would expect the same to apply back -- a player shoving a coach should never be allowed.

Coaches yell at players all the time. Defensible or not, it's part of the dynamic/culture of the NFL, pro sports, and (more unfortunately) competitive amateur and kid sports.

So -- aside from the fact that I disagree with yelling to achieve performance overall -- players yelling back at coaches, while likely seen as out of line, also seems both inevitable and allowable in the heat of battle. 

Coaches aren't/shouldn't be physically putting their hands on players. Ever. At any level of sport.

So I would expect the same to apply back -- a player shoving a coach should never be allowed.
Adults can't be putting their hands on kids, ever.  No problem with that as an absolute standard.

Two adults though, there's room for gray area IMO.  And this one is in it.

Went with pretty bad over awful because it seemed like a gentle shove and he didn’t go after him or anything

Adults can't be putting their hands on kids, ever.  No problem with that as an absolute standard.

Two adults though, there's room for gray area IMO.  And this one is in it.
Hard disagree. Of course it's inexcusable in an adult/child situation. It's also inexcusable in any situation.

Where do you draw the line? Is what Knight does to college-aged students ok, but it's inexcusable in high school games? Is Jimbo Fisher excused from this with the (lame) excuse that he was trying to stop a fight? 

For me, there is absolutely no gray area -- physical contact between players and coaches is simply a hard no in my book. 

I like that Kelce owned up to his actions and hugged Bienemy to make up for it -- here, no harm, no foul I am sure both parties would agree.

But it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Part of being an adult is keeping your emotions in check.

I think is was kinda bad.    Even if he was not happy getting shoved Bienemy won`t make an issue out of this because he is trying to advance his coaching resume as as we know is all sports getting into disputes with star players does not help even if it was not his fault.

davearm said:
I'm on the "heat of the battle" side of this.

The hug afterward definitely mitigates things.
but it doesn't. i admit i'm old school, but you don't get to "make up" for #### like this. we give these kids too much leeway.  coaches gotta do their jobs too.

admitting also there's the flip side, bienemy could have been spouting some bs that wasn't helpful at the time, so no way to really judge this without knowing what he was saying.

Little bad. Wasn’t much of a shove, more of a get out of my face. That said, shouldn’t lay your hands on anyone outside the game and Kelce has struck me as a tool for awhile.

Sets a bad precedent.  If I'm someone he's coaching and he gets in my face, all that's going through my head is that he's the guy that let Kelce punk him.  It would be hard not to yell back or roll my eyes or otherwise be disrespectful.

Something has to happen, even if it's something meaningless (to Kelce) like a $5K fine.  Just something that lets the players know it isn't tolerated, even by the "stars" on the team.

It's not meaningless.  It's great that they hugged, and I'm sure it's squashed between the two of them.  But long term you have to show players it won't be tolerated.

This is football.  This is the culture of football. Why is this a big deal?  We've all seen WAY worse behavior so why is this one a story?  A player pushed his coach then hugged it out later.  Ok.  Sounds like a happy ending, not a sad one.  So why is this a topic, Joe??

What we need to STOP doing is making a big harry deal every time someone makes a mistake.  We are all human. We all have lapses in judgment.  We all make mistakes.  Professional athletes, actors, coaches and anyone else in the public eye - they are all human too!

I'm seriously so sick and tired of how our society is so quick to judge others.  This media mindset many of us have is a dangerous one.  Requiring people to live up to a standard that is not realistic just because their lives are under a microscope.  It needs to STOP.

Imagine if you were being recorded nearly 24/7 and every aspect of your life was scrutinized, analyzed, ridiculed and documented for all to see.

/Thread

These guys are trained to be in beast mode during game time. Emotions are running high. You can’t expect them to drop down and have a calm discussion during that time.  If a coach or fellow player is in your face, you are gonna be right back in theirs.   It’s instinct.  

That’s not to make excuses for him.  He Shouldn’t have pushed his coach.  It was wrong.  But you gotta give him a bit of a pass.  He stopped right away.   Then gave the half hearted hug.  I’ve seen worse.  

Heat of the moment. It isn't as though he threw him over the bench.

A little shove, words traded, hugged it out... move on.

It's well documented that Andy Reid holds Bienemy in very high regard. Grooming him for HC consideration. If there was something here, Kelce would be in deep #### today.

players coaches trainers, etc are all part of a TEAM....they are all teammates....teammates fight....and they are all pros and they get paid....stuff like this happens....I for one like the passion.....and willingness to call each other out....they both care...I'm good with it....I don't expect them to handle things perfectly and "politically correct"....maybe EB didn't say things the way we think he "should" have....maybe Kelce didn't react the way we think he should have....I'm not expecting these guys to model behavior for my children, etc....this isn't amateur sports.....no big deal....stuff like this can actually make a team stronger...they made a "mistake" and in our eyes "mishandled their emotions"....looks like they recognized that, apologized in their own way and have moved on....isn't that what we would all expect if we make a mistake...?... nothing to see here unless you want to hug the tree of "OMG they shouldn't do that, we have to make a big deal out of it"....people are waaaaaaaay to sensitive these days....'

Pretty bad. Heat of the moment, sure, but everything I've read suggests Bienemy has the absolute respect of his players, and they love playing for him. This shove doesn't seem like much and Kelce obviously apologized in his own way, but it will come up again when Bienemy is a hot HC candidate this off-season, given his rep. 

Pretty bad because whether or not they are both cool with it, you just displayed to the whole team that you can shove a coach and get away with it. No one is going to take that coach seriously anymore. 

Pretty bad because whether or not they are both cool with it, you just displayed to the whole team that you can shove a coach and get away with it. No one is going to take that coach seriously anymore. 
think you are blowing this waaaaaay out of proportion....EB is not going to have any trouble finding/keeping a job in the NFL....

I'm sure it will be addressed internally/behind closed doors and we may not ever know "how" it was addressed....so that won't be "good enough" and will continue to make everybody's head explode.....people will demand to know the "consequence" if there was one like they are entitled to know how it was "handled"....if you make a mistake at work and receive a "consequence" do all of your coworkers and the general public get to know how it was handled....?

Pretty bad because whether or not they are both cool with it, you just displayed to the whole team that you can shove a coach and get away with it. No one is going to take that coach seriously anymore
Or maybe they'll form a judgement of Bienemy based upon their own firsthand observations and interactions with him.

Or maybe they'll form a judgement of Bienemy based upon their own firsthand observations and interactions with him.
Yes because football players are rational, well thought out individuals that don't live in a culture of macho bravado where they are constantly having to prove their worth every second of every day. Never would they see a guy get pushed and formulate an opinion that "he's a #####" in their heads. 

The slow-mo doesn't help. Given a team mate was right there and felt compelled to intervene, I voted "pretty bad". Coach didn't exactly hug him back either.

📽️  Video of Kelce shoving OC  Eric Bienemy then hugging it out

I went to school with EB, luv him.  Kelce had  issues prior to the draft that caused him to slip to the third round.

I would imagine coaches have to deal with emotional players more than we could expect and grow tough skin.

Eric got some looks at head coaching positions this last year and I think if he ever gets a shot he will do well.

No reason for Travis to shove EB, just not cool but he made the effort to smooth things over so hopefully all is well.

I went with on the fence, only because we (all of us) have no clue of exactly what happened or the details. That being said, it shouldn’t matter  because pushing a coach is bad. 

I have seen many arguments on the sidelines in my 40+ years of watching the NFL and many that looked way more heated than that, but didn’t come to blows or shoving. Kelce was having a bad night and I am certain, he was frustrated and throw in some heat of the moment and a coach busting your balls about it and you get a shove. I would expect a team punishment type thing, maybe a fine. Doubt it gets worse than that unless he’s got a history of it. 

Voted not bad at all.

If this was an office type atmosphere? Sure, it’s really bad. But this is football, and on the sidelines of a emotion filled game. It was hardly a “push” IMO ... Kelce is a big dude - if he really wanted to push the guy? He could’ve. He sorta just judged him away.

and unfortunately? He can. He’s arguably the 2nd most important player on that team. The fact that it wasn’t really THAT bad, and Kelce came over and hugged it out afterwards? 

Nah ... this is a non story IMO

I honestly felt like it effected the game flow in one way or another. Kelce looked like he was just jogging routes for a while after incident He had 1 target between the end of the first quarter and 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and then again nothing from the end of the 3rd until 2 minutes left in the 4th. 

wasn't much of a shove, and was followed with apology and hug, so went a little bad. Could see any  answer but the last as easily defensible.

Kelce has shown himself to be a little bit....emotional....before

It just shows that the ones we cheer for are not above us or below us. They have emotions and weaknesses just like us. Millions of dollars or no.

Still, I voted pretty bad. It's just not a good look.

I think Kelce was trying to grab him...much like the football on several plays, slipped through his fingers.

It's two grown ### men having a tussle.  Bienemy isn't some geriatric invalid that Kelce curb stomped.  And it's far more manly to be able to admit you were wrong and apologize to the man you wronged.  Zero problem with this encounter.

Users who are viewing this thread