What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steven Sims Jr, Steelers of Pittsburgh WR (1 Viewer)

TartanLion

Footballguy
Anything to see here for dynasty owners ? Showed good burst and nimble feet on that TD v the Patriots at the weekend. New management incoming, possible rookie QB starting, could he be worth a grab ? He’s also had some carries so far as well, including the TD. Perhaps he begins to get more opportunities alongside Terry. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of Skins fans would like to see his explosiveness in the slot over Quinn, but idk how many opportunities he's realistically in line for. Callahan is going to try to grind games out on the ground. 

Steven Sims caught 6-of-10 targets for 64 yards and two touchdowns in Week 16 against the Giants.

It's another huge day for Sims, who went for 45 yards and a touchdown last week. It's also the second straight game he's led Washington in targets. Sims flashed some serious route-running on his second touchdown, getting open on a double move for a seven-yard score. He continues to benefit from Terry McLaurin drawing defensive attention, running most of his routes against Sam Beal and Corey Balentine. Sims is locked in as the No. 2 option in Washington's pass game. He could get a boost if Case Keenum starts for Dwayne Haskins (ankle) in Week 17.

Never ended up circling back round to this thread, seems a bit random doing it now, but with the combine on, I’ve become re- engaged with my dynasty roster. Ended the season very strongly and I just love his burst, changes in direction and overall speed. Also showed great awareness for one his TDs right at the back of the end zone last seasons against the Eagles 

Even if (when?) the Redskins bring in another WR, he should improve greatly on his numbers from last year.  But even when he was getting targets at the end of the season, his YPC was abysmal.

Tweet about Sims

I completely forgot about this guy and his nice numbers at the end of last season. Seems like a great sleeper now that they only added AGG (and Gibson if you consider him a WR).

Rumor is that Kelvin Harmon is moving to a move TE kind of role instead of pure WR as well.  Steven Sims is the late round WR to grab right now.  He's like a discount Curtis Samuel when Curtis Samuel is cheap as can be as well.  

Rumor is that Kelvin Harmon is moving to a move TE kind of role instead of pure WR as well.  Steven Sims is the late round WR to grab right now.  He's like a discount Curtis Samuel when Curtis Samuel is cheap as can be as well.  
Or Gandy-Golden is the guy to grab. Wasn't that the body type and skill set of Harmon, whereas Sims operates out of the slot given his dimensions? I don't know for sure, but I was hanging out in the Redskin homer thread and they seemed to say that those were the two sets of competition.  Sims and Quinn or Gibson in the slot. Harmon and Gandy-Golden outside.

Either way, great news for Gandy-Golden GMs. (Myself included).

Sims is the slot receiver, very fast and shifty.  Suspect hands but hes a playmaker.  Quinn is made of tissue paper and is basically useless.

I grabbed Sims in the 5th of all my FFPC drafts this year.  He was WR7 from weeks 14-17 last year.  Sneaky play.

Or Gandy-Golden is. Wasn't that the body type and skill set of Harmon, whereas Sims operates out of the slot given his dimensions? I don't know for sure, but I was hanging out in the Redskin homer thread and they seemed to say that those were the two sets of competition.  Sims and Quinn or Gibson in the slot. Harmon and Gandy-Golden outside.

Either way, great news for Gandy-Golden GMs. (Myself included).
This is way before anyone's seen AGG in pad's and playing on their team so it's very pre-mature but it could be good news.  Gibson is so weird to project as well, and if he's learning multiple spots, Sims is the guy to own and flip.  He'll be the only one, other than F1, who is immediate impact.  

I like all the WR's on that roster honestly, but that offense makes me want to  :X .  They're all really cheap so take your shots why not.  

This is way before anyone's seen AGG in pad's and playing on their team so it's very pre-mature but it could be good news.  Gibson is so weird to project as well, and if he's learning multiple spots, Sims is the guy to own and flip.  He'll be the only one, other than F1, who is immediate impact.  

I like all the WR's on that roster honestly, but that offense makes me want to  :X .  They're all really cheap so take your shots why not.  
Heh. Sims is rostered in my league. And has been on the block. Funny. Huge rosters, can't really slip anybody through good competition. Interesting leeg.

Enough of my team. I agree with the bolded. I like McLaurin better than his rankings (and tried to acquire him) and I think Gandy-Golden will surprise even without great draft capital (4th round) to speak of. But I'm biased. I reached for Gandy-Golden in our rookie draft at 3.07 IDP. I'm already a believer from his highlights and sporadic "tape." That said, Haskins right now is indeed a :X , but maybe he gets better? And Ron Rivera is not scared to and will run the ball. A lot, presumably. 

Anyone who rosters their WRs can hope, though.

I have not seen enough of Sims to make a really qualified comment on him.

Last 3 games of the season. 29 targets

16-190-4

I traded Sims away but I didn't like it. New coaching staff so who knows but he flashed at the end of the season last year. 

Last 3 games of the season. 29 targets

16-190-4

I traded Sims away but I didn't like it. New coaching staff so who knows but he flashed at the end of the season last year. 
What did you trade him away for? Just curious as I'm looking for a possibly cheap receiver and he was a name I looked at.

He’s a pet favourite of mine for sure, having picked him up for nothing immediately after that TD against the Patriots. I do think things are getting a little crowded though, a lot of it will weigh on what Gibson does. I could see him eating into a lot of Sims targets if he gets used as some people predict 

Just sniped him from another guy's taxi squad for a 2021 5th and 6th round pick in a best ball league. We also have way overinflated KR/PR scoring (counts the same as any other yardage), so really hoping he keeps the KR job instead of Gibson. He scored 173 points last year, was very surprised the guy didn't move him off of taxi.

What's this guy worth in terms of draft picks in Dynasty?
He might be worth more but his actual cost should be minimal.

He was available in the rookie draft in 7 dynasty leagues I was in and 6 of those drafts went 7 rounds and the other went 4 rounds. He got drafted in one of those leagues, by me, in back end of round 5. So let me put this another way all my leagues have done rookie drafts and he's available to pick up a free agent in 6 of my 8 leagues.

He's garnered a little more hype recently but not that much to think his value has not soared past a mid round pick. I'd think a 4th-5th would get him from most.

He's garnered a little more hype recently but not that much to think his value has not soared past a mid round pick. I'd think a 4th-5th would get him from most.
Come on, he's worth more than that.  Why would anyone consider taking a flyer at what you would get in the 4th round of a dynasty rookie draft over Sims?  You're looking at Dalton Keene, LaMical Perine, Quintin Cephus types.

You seem to have an issue separating your opinion from fact.
No I don't.  I don't own him in any league, but what he did last year and their current WR situation, he's worth more than the likes of Lamical Perine or Dalton Keene.  Perhaps even an early 3rd to some, but just not me.  Anyone thinking he's worth more than an early 3rd probably will have to hold.  I wouldn't have any issues giving a mid to late 3rd rd rookie pick for Sims.

I think he's probably in between what you guys are saying. He was going a pick after AGG in DLF startup mocks for June (I haven't seen july data yet). AGG was Rookie 36, so Sims was basically an early 4th before the Harmon news. 

I don't see Harmon news bumping him up that much. I have him in 4/5 dynasty leagues, and I'd sell for an early 3rd. 

Sims was basically an early 4th before the Harmon news. 
As I pointed out already he was in available in 7 rookie drafts and out of those 7 I'm the only guy to draft him and that was 5.10. He went undrafted in multiple leagues with 7 round drafts.

Question of what he's worth in a trade is almost funny in the sense he's not even someone you can trade for him 75% of my leagues because he's not even on a roster.

As I pointed out already he was in available in 7 rookie drafts and out of those 7 I'm the only guy to draft him and that was 5.10. He went undrafted in multiple leagues with 7 round drafts.

Question of what he's worth in a trade is almost funny in the sense he's not even someone you can trade for him 75% of my leagues because he's not even on a roster.
He was on a roster in every league I'm in (8 leagues) at the start of rookie drafts and still is.  He finished well last year for a rookie and is certainly worth the waiver wire fodder that you usually draft in the 4th round of rookie drafts.

He finished well last year for a rookie and is certainly worth the waiver wire fodder that you usually draft in the 4th round of rookie drafts.
I don't disagree that I think he's worth it but despite your protestations saying otherwise  you can't differentiate between what you think a player is worth and what he actually costs on the market, they are not the same thing.  I've seen zero evidence anywhere that his market is bringing back a second, or even a third, which is why my initial comment on his cost was that a 4th-5th round pick should get him, but that his value might be more.

I do think he's a great bargain but that's what he is, a great bargain buy. No one is paying much for him.

Cool. Just sharing the ADP data since it seemed relevant to the discussion (which is startups, not rookie drafts). 

Sims has gotten a lot more buzz since early May, when my rookie drafts happened. He went 5th round in both of mine that he was available in early May (once by me). The others he was rostered at the end of the season. 

I don't disagree that I think he's worth it but despite your protestations saying otherwise  you can't differentiate between what you think a player is worth and what he actually costs on the market, they are not the same thing.  I've seen zero evidence anywhere that his market is bringing back a second, or even a third, which is why my initial comment on his cost was that a 4th-5th round pick should get him, but that his value might be more.

I do think he's a great bargain but that's what he is, a great bargain buy. No one is paying much for him.
If someone offers me what I perceive as a mid to late 3rd in 2021 I'll pull the trigger.  I don't give a crap about market value when 2021 3rd rd picks are involved if I think a player has a decent chance at doing something.

Cool. Just sharing the ADP data since it seemed relevant to the discussion (which is startups, not rookie drafts). 

Sims has gotten a lot more buzz since early May, when my rookie drafts happened. He went 5th round in both of mine that he was available in early May (once by me). The others he was rostered at the end of the season. 
I was not knocking your info, I just put more stock in actual drafts ,especially in leagues I'm in and have never put much stock in mocks.

FWIW, and this just covers June/July and 20 drafts, but in that timeframe in FFPC startups he's going as player 206, 18.2, high pick was 16.2. Similar players going in that range are players I typically saw go in 4th-5th round range of my rookie drafts. Which again is why I said I felt that a 4th-5th round pick would get him, that seems to be his current market cost.

If someone offers me what I perceive as a mid to late 3rd in 2021 I'll pull the trigger.  I don't give a crap about market value when 2021 3rd rd picks are involved if I think a player has a decent chance at doing something.
Your value of him is not the barometer for what his market cost would be, not disagreeing with you on what his worth/value should be just what it is.

Your responded to my initial post saying a 4th-5th round pick should get him with a "come on ,he's worth more then that" comment and now you are basically framing him as being worth a mid to late third with respect to what you'd pay. Is that really that far off, especially when I said nothing about those picks being future picks? So far enough to you it required you to make that comment when you don't even view him as worth a future third round pick that might be high?

I was not knocking your info, I just put more stock in actual drafts ,especially in leagues I'm in and have never put much stock in mocks.

FWIW, and this just covers June/July and 20 drafts, but in that timeframe in FFPC startups he's going as player 206, 18.2, high pick was 16.2. Similar players going in that range are players I typically saw go in 4th-5th round range of my rookie drafts. Which again is why I said I felt that a 4th-5th round pick would get him, that seems to be his current market cost.
The mocks line up pretty well to the startups I have done this offseason. Vets typically go higher relative to the rookies in startups compared to rookie drafts anyway. SO I think what you're saying is more due to a difference in rookie drafts vs. startups. 

Your value of him is not the barometer for what his market cost would be, not disagreeing with you on what his worth/value should be just what it is.

Your responded to my initial post saying a 4th-5th round pick should get him with a "come on ,he's worth more then that" comment and now you are basically framing him as being worth a mid to late third with respect to what you'd pay. Is that really that far off, especially when I said nothing about those picks being future picks? So far enough to you it required you to make that comment when you don't even view him as worth a future third round pick that might be high?
You seem hung up on market value.  Haven't you ever given up more than market value for a player?  Especially a later round pick.  I'm saying he's worth an early 3rd, but I prefer to pay a mid to late 3rd.

I'd think a 4th-5th would get him from most.

Anyone thinking he's worth more than an early 3rd probably will have to hold.  I wouldn't have any issues giving a mid to late 3rd rd rookie pick for Sims.
You guys are living in dream worlds.  Granted, I only play in larger dynasty leagues (14 or more teams, 30+ man rosters), and he was picked up last September or October in all of them.  None of his owners will give him up for less than a 2nd, and if it is perceived to be a late 2nd, they would rather just hold him.

Another poster said that your best chance of getting him is as in a multi-player deal, but even then only if you are valuing him in the early/mid-2nd round rookie range.

You guys are living in dream worlds.  Granted, I only play in larger dynasty leagues (14 or more teams, 30+ man rosters), and he was picked up last September or October in all of them.  None of his owners will give him up for less than a 2nd, and if it is perceived to be a late 2nd, they would rather just hold him.

Another poster said that your best chance of getting him is as in a multi-player deal, but even then only if you are valuing him in the early/mid-2nd round rookie range.
I think you are closer to what I said than @menobrown However, you said "none of his owners will give up less than a 2nd" is stretching it.  That was me who said that your best chance of getting him is in a mult-player deal.   I'm willing to trade for him, but no way I give a 2nd. He isn't on 99% of waiver wires however and not available to most who allow vets to be drafted in rookie drafts.

The Athletic’s Mark Bullock reports Steven Sims could be moved to Z receiver.

Sims flashed out of the slot as a rookie, going for 230 yards and four touchdowns over the final month of the season.  At 5-10/176, Sims is miscast on the outside, but Washington lost some depth with Kelvin Harmon (knee, NFI) and Cody Latimer (exempt list) sidelined. Sims will compete with fourth-round WR Antonio Gandy-Golden for a starting role if Washington doesn't add a veteran. Moving Sims to the Z spot would free up the slot for Trey Quinn

RELATED: 

Antonio Gandy-Golden

, Antonio Gibson

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 31, 2020, 5:56 PM ET

The Athletic’s Mark Bullock reports Steven Sims could be moved to Z receiver.

Sims flashed out of the slot as a rookie, going for 230 yards and four touchdowns over the final month of the season.  At 5-10/176, Sims is miscast on the outside, but Washington lost some depth with Kelvin Harmon (knee, NFI) and Cody Latimer (exempt list) sidelined. Sims will compete with fourth-round WR Antonio Gandy-Golden for a starting role if Washington doesn't add a veteran. Moving Sims to the Z spot would free up the slot for Trey Quinn

RELATED: 

Antonio Gandy-Golden

, Antonio Gibson

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jul 31, 2020, 5:56 PM ET
It's not like he has stiff competition, so if he can seize the moment, who knows what he can do.  I'm still not that impressed with their offense however and IMO will limit Sims' fantasy relevancy.

Users who are viewing this thread