What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When does (or did) the dam break? When does the Republican party disavow Trump? (1 Viewer)

(HULK)

(Smash)
I think today might have been the day. The damn has sprung a couple holes and this Syria\Turkey stuff put a nice big crack in it.

Up until now, the majority of Republicans in Congress have been no fan of Trump but gone along because it served their own re-election interests. Once enough jump ship that removal via the Senate looks possible, the ones that really hate his guts will jump first. Overnight dominos will fall, as the tide turns from unlikely to possible to probable to certain. In the end, only a handful will vote against his removal. This Syria withdrawal might have been enough. I suppose he could change course on it, wouldn't be out of character for him. If he doesn't though, he isn't President in 2020 IMO.

I don’t think so. It’s a foreign policy issue; the base doesn’t care, (or they approve) and Congress is helpless to stop him anyhow. So just like with aid to Yemen and Russian sanctions, the GOP will make a big show of opposing Trump and in a few days they will move on. 

To answer your question: he has to lose the election. He has to lose decisively. It has to be made crystal clear to Republicans that Trump’s fan base is not enough by itself to win national elections. Only then will they leave him en masse, IMO. 

I agree with (HULK). Mitch McConnell is every bit as self serving as Trump, and he's a helluva lot more cunning and savvy. He's facing a tough re-election campaign in 2020. At some point it will become politically expedient for Mitch to divorce himself from Trump. It may not have gotten to that point, but it will. And it will happen fast.

I honestly think Trump won't last his term. He'll either resign, get removed or have a catastrophic health event occur. At some point there will be a smoking gun or critical mass that makes the Reps continued defense of Trump untenable. They'll foresake him attempting to save their own ###es.

Tim is correct.  People won't stop backing Trump until he leaves office.  Even after he leaves, I'm sure there will still be a following, just less people sticking up for him.

As a whole? They don’t. The reason the Republicans still support him is that the decision is between all supporting him or fracturing as a party.  Much like the Tea Party. 

I don’t think so. It’s a foreign policy issue; the base doesn’t care, (or they approve) and Congress is helpless to stop him anyhow. So just like with aid to Yemen and Russian sanctions, the GOP will make a big show of opposing Trump and in a few days they will move on. 

To answer your question: he has to lose the election. He has to lose decisively. It has to be made crystal clear to Republicans that Trump’s fan base is not enough by itself to win national elections. Only then will they leave him en masse, IMO. 
Good point that he has to lose decisively. I hope it isn't by a narrow margin.

Users who are viewing this thread