What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Problem With Ellen Degeneres Sitting / Laughing With GW Bush? (1 Viewer)

Interesting to me she's getting pushback on this. 

Do you think she should?

I thought she handled it perfectly. https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/10/08/ellen-degeneres-talks-sitting-next-george-w-bush-football-game/3905335002/
People are stupid and get upset about far too much.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with them sitting next to each other and talking.  They are both interesting people and I'm sure they had a great conversation.

Silly to have a problem with this. 

GWB is coming to my daughter’s school, Chapman University, this week for a fundraiser. 

Joe Bryant said:
Interesting to me she's getting pushback on this. 

Do you think she should?

I thought she handled it perfectly. https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/10/08/ellen-degeneres-talks-sitting-next-george-w-bush-football-game/3905335002/
I saw this and immediately commented that if GB was still in office, she would be ripping him.  The hypocrisy is incredible.

Although it doesn't matter to me, she absolutely deserves the backlash.  No one should be immune from today's twitter tirade..Left right, gay straight, top, bottom.  If one person is brutalized by the stupidity that is today's social media, then everyone is,.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this and immediately commented that if GB was still in office, she would be ripping him.  The hypocrisy is incredible.
But he's not the President right now, so why can't she sit next to him and talk?  Is she suppose to continue ripping him now or is she suppose to shun him forever because she didn't agree with him when he was President.  Sounds childish.

But he's not the President right now, so why can't she sit next to him and talk?  Is she suppose to continue ripping him now or is she suppose to shun him forever because she didn't agree with him when he was President.  Sounds childish.
She can do whatever she wants.  

She can do whatever she wants.  
So why is she a hypocrite?  Putting aside differences to sit and enjoy a football game together is not hypocritical at all.  I find it refreshing actually.

I know I was very critical of Bush when he was President, in fact I thought he was a moron, but I would definitely sit with him at a football game in seats like that.  Sounds like an awesome time.

Although it doesn't matter to me, she absolutely deserves the backlash.  No one should be immune from today's twitter tirade..Left right, gay straight, top, bottom.  If one person is brutalized by the stupidity that is today's social media, then everyone is,.
Ripping him for policy and able to be friends outside of that arent necessarily hypocritical.

Good on Ellen and GW.  His post office life has been pretty darn good and he has made friends with several “across the aisle“ including Michelle Obama.

Also...good for her supporting the right team.

So why is she a hypocrite?  Putting aside differences to sit and enjoy a football game together is not hypocritical at all.  I find it refreshing actually.

I know I was very critical of Bush when he was President, in fact I thought he was a moron, but I would definitely sit with him at a football game in seats like that.  Sounds like an awesome time.
You can do whatever you want and still be a hypocrite.  I'm fine with what she did.  And I'm also fine with her getting ripped for it.  Sooner or later we will learn this bashing on social media is counter productive and quite frankly awful. 

Ripping him for policy and able to be friends outside of that arent necessarily hypocritical.

Good on Ellen and GW.  His post office life has been pretty darn good and he has made friends with several “across the aisle“ including Michelle Obama.

Also...good for her supporting the right team.

This is dumb....why can't people who disagree on politics be social with each other?  This is the sort of "purity test" I've always thought really stupid.  Do I have to disown my sister because she votes one way and I vote the other?  Anyone up in arms over this one way or the other is part of the problem.  

This is dumb....why can't people who disagree on politics be social with each other?  This is the sort of "purity test" I've always thought really stupid.  Do I have to disown my sister because she votes one way and I vote the other?  Anyone up in arms over this one way or the other is part of the problem.  
Unfortunately you're right that in a perfect world, this wouldn't be true.  There are people who put in their dating ads  "No Trump voters"  

There have been people, especially here, who have said they have ended friendships because of someone voting for Trump.  This is a left policy.  

This is the core question I doubt you get a coherent answer to.  I am unable to connect the dots unless there is some obscure definition of hypocrite I am unaware of.
Guys, please.  read the damn article.  I didn't write it.  Take 5 minutes PLEASE

I find it refreshing and a ray of hope that people on different ends of the political spectrum can get along.  He's also been photographed with Michelle Obama, if I'm not mistaken.

The guy seems like he could be likeable in a social setting.  He was not suited for the office of the presidency, but as was stated before he's not the president anymore.

Mike, you are flying really close to a “different side of the same coin” kind of position with regards to social media backlash on Ellen and claims of hypocrisy because of their political differences.  Maybe you are attempting to make a different point, but it’s not reading that way

I find it refreshing and a ray of hope that people on different ends of the political spectrum can get along.  He's also been photographed with Michelle Obama, if I'm not mistaken.

The guy seems like he could be likeable in a social setting.  He was not suited for the office of the presidency, but as was stated before he's not the president anymore.
He got my vote in 2000 because he was likable.  He didn't fool me twice in 2004, but he's still a likable guy and I'd have no problem chumming it up with him despite our ideological differences.  

BTW, threads like this remind me that Twitter (and social media in general) is the devil and something I wish never existed.  

What I find interesting, is I don't see anyone from the right complaining about GB hanging out with an openly gay female.  That's weird.

Adults can disagree on political issues and still carry on a conversation on other topics.

What I find interesting, is I don't see anyone from the right complaining about GB hanging out with an openly gay female.  That's weird.
You're right, and it highlights an issue with the fringe left.  Unfortunately, Twitter amplifies their voice and makes it seem like they represent the entire progressive attitude.  As Ghost Rider said, anyone who has a problem with ED and GWB being friendly is part of the problem.     

You're right, and it highlights an issue with the fringe left.  Unfortunately, Twitter amplifies their voice and makes it seem like they represent the entire progressive attitude.  As Ghost Rider said, anyone who has a problem with ED and GWB being friendly is part of the problem.     
Yeah but see it isn't just twitter.  If it was just twitter, well then we could all say "well it's just twitter"  It's the left leaning media.  USA today picked it up fro crying out loud. That immediately gives it legitimacy.. I am more than willing to bet CNN has it too.  This is the media.  And this is part of the problem.

No problems with ED and GW enjoying some time together.  I've always been sort of a GW apologist though.

Unfortunately you're right that in a perfect world, this wouldn't be true.  There are people who put in their dating ads  "No Trump voters"  

There have been people, especially here, who have said they have ended friendships because of someone voting for Trump.  This is a left policy.  
Because they voted for Trump or because that "friend" shares the same views as Trump?  If I had a friend that shared some of these horrific views with Trump they'd no longer be my friend either :shrug:   I don't need that sort of garbage in my life.

Because they voted for Trump or because that "friend" shares the same views as Trump?  If I had a friend that shared some of these horrific views with Trump they'd no longer be my friend either :shrug:   I don't need that sort of garbage in my life.
See? So much for your theory. 

If you ask the majority of people here, if you voted for Trump, then automatically you share the same views as Trump.  You know that's been said here so many times it's hard to count.

If you ask the majority of people here, if you voted for Trump, then automatically you share the same views as Trump.  You know that's been said here so many times it's hard to count.
I've stated here a billion times, at minimum you enable his views and provide him a pass...which is accurate.  You might or might not share the view, though that distinction isn't very substantial.  It's telling that people continue to misrepresent those two very different positions as the same.

I've found myself thinking "was he so bad?" over the past three years.
I do the same thing.  The answer is - yeah, he was pretty bad.  But, he was civil.  (And, I mostly blame Cheney for that ere anyway).

My opinion of him has changed in his retirement (I think it largely is a result of the comparison to Trump) - and I find him to be a decent man, with a different political view than my own.  I'd happily have a conversation with him, or watch a game from the owner's box.

I'm sure there are people on both sides doing some complaining, but the only complaints I've personally seen have come from the right rather than the left.

Users who are viewing this thread