What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Problem With Ellen Degeneres Sitting / Laughing With GW Bush? (1 Viewer)

I have friends who wear MAGA hats, I have friends who love and have physical relationships with someone the same gender.  It does no good to use political views/religious views as basis for anger, aggression, and hate.  Not sure why we all can't figure that out.  It breeds catastrophe.

I do the same thing.  The answer is - yeah, he was pretty bad.  But, he was civil.  (And, I mostly blame Cheney for that ere anyway).

My opinion of him has changed in his retirement (I think it largely is a result of the comparison to Trump) - and I find him to be a decent man, with a different political view than my own.  I'd happily have a conversation with him, or watch a game from the owner's box.
I should have expanded more on my reply, but I don't have to now because you summed it up perfectly.  I think the ability to lighten up on Bush and his time in office is a result of a comparison to what is currently occurring.  

I've stated here a billion times, at minimum you enable his views and provide him a pass...which is accurate.  You might or might not share the view, though that distinction isn't very substantial.  It's telling that people continue to misrepresent those two very different positions as the same.
Earlier you said you didn't understand why people with differing political views can't get along.

Then you say Trump voters agree with Trump and therefore they cannot be your friends.   

You're not alone here. Most of the left feels this way, so spare me the "if we disagree politically we can still get along" line--because it's a complete lie.

Earlier you said you didn't understand why people with differing political views can't get along.
yes

Then you say Trump voters agree with Trump and therefore they cannot be your friends
no

You're not alone here. Most of the left feels this way, so spare me the "if we disagree politically we can still get along" line--because it's a complete lie.
This is gonna blow your mind....I'm not "the left" :jawdrop:   Perhaps read the actual words I put out there for you to read instead of making stuff up?

Then you say Trump voters agree with Trump and therefore they cannot be your friends.   

I think you are confusing "political" leanings - with being a ########.

People who dislike Trump do so not based on politics, but because he acts like a ########.

If you support Trump - the assumption is that you support being a ######## - and that is a deal-killer for many people.

Democrats can still be friends with Republicans - but when you support the vitriol of Trump, that is not indicative of political leanings, that is indicative of being a ########.

So why is she a hypocrite?  Putting aside differences to sit and enjoy a football game together is not hypocritical at all.  I find it refreshing actually.

I know I was very critical of Bush when he was President, in fact I thought he was a moron, but I would definitely sit with him at a football game in seats like that.  Sounds like an awesome time.
No problem at all with Elle and George hanging out and I agree, many of the people you see on TV arguing, or people in congress from the right and left are friends off camera. I remember John Conyers once said at a Detroit City Council meeting  we argue with each other on the Hill and then go drink with each other after. It is like the WWF at times, you have to be passionate and mad to pander to your base be it real or not.

yes

no

This is gonna blow your mind....I'm not "the left" :jawdrop:   Perhaps read the actual words I put out there for you to read instead of making stuff up?
Fair enough.  You said voting for Trump gives him a pass, not that you agree.  So yeah, I guess you can be friends with  a Trump voter.

I think you are confusing "political" leanings - with being a ########.

People who dislike Trump do so not based on politics, but because he acts like a ########.

If you support Trump - the assumption is that you support being a ######## - and that is a deal-killer for many people.

Democrats can still be friends with Republicans - but when you support the vitriol of Trump, that is not indicative of political leanings, that is indicative of being a ########.
Again, perfect world thats true.  But when people say "I would NEVER be a friend of a person who votes for Trump" Without digging down into why that person voted for him, then this is just lying.  

He was a disaster as a President, but by all accounts I've heard what he's done since has shown him to be a good man with good intentions in his personal life, if flawed.  I don't see why chatting with him would be verboten.

Tangent question. 

I'd be shocked if Degeneres didn't know GW would be in the suite. My guess is she knew she'd be sitting next to him. These kind of things aren't done by chance. 

Is this a great deal different than accepting an invitation to the White House?

Tangent question. 

I'd be shocked if Degeneres didn't know GW would be in the suite. My guess is she knew she'd be sitting next to him. These kind of things aren't done by chance. 

I agree.She had to know.  I'm certain there is information given to anyone who is about to be in a room with any President, current or former.  "You can do this, you can't do that etc etc."

Tangent question. 

I think so.  One is an official visit with the pomp and circumstance and especially the official use of the office of President.  This isn't.

Tangent question. 

I think yes...this is meeting a former President not while he is office. 
But even a WH visit...doesn't mean you support the political policies of the person.

You can do whatever you want and still be a hypocrite.  I'm fine with what she did.  And I'm also fine with her getting ripped for it.  Sooner or later we will learn this bashing on social media is counter productive and quite frankly awful. 
I can agree with that.

These statements from Ellen are great:  :thumbup:

"Here’s the thing," she added. "I’m friends with George Bush. In fact, I’m friends with a lot of people who don’t share the same beliefs that I have. We’re all different and I think that we've forgotten that that’s OK."

DeGeneres continued: "When I say 'be kind to one another,' I don’t mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn’t matter."

There was an underlying implication to supermike80's comments in this thread, which has everything to do with Donald Trump and the current acrimony we find ourselves in: some conservatives, including apparently this poster, believe that Donald Trump is a normal conservative politician and the dislike of him is actually a dislike of conservatives. Ellen is a hypocrite because she would not be seen laughing with Donald Trump- not because Trump is different, but because he is the current President.

Most liberals I know, while they're not going to be especially fond of any Republican President, believe Donald Trump to be an aberration, a cancer to our political system, in no way comparable to George W Bush. Many conservatives refuse to accept this idea.

These statements from Ellen are great:  :thumbup:

"Here’s the thing," she added. "I’m friends with George Bush. In fact, I’m friends with a lot of people who don’t share the same beliefs that I have. We’re all different and I think that we've forgotten that that’s OK."

DeGeneres continued: "When I say 'be kind to one another,' I don’t mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn’t matter."
Agreed. But I think think that's what I mean when I say I'm worried we're too far off.

I think it's more now: "When I say 'be kind to one another,' I don’t mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn’t matter. Except for those people who want to limit immigration. They're monsters. Ok to hate them. Or the people who want gun control. They hate America. Ok to hate them."

To be clear. I'm 100% with Degeneres and I think she has it right. But I'm fearful we've so vilified the other side we're going to have an awfully hard time getting to where she's hoping. 

I hope I'm dead wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. But I think think that's what I mean when I say I'm worried we're too far off.

I think it's more now: "When I say 'be kind to one another,' I don’t mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn’t matter. Except for those people who want to limit immigration. They're monsters. Ok to hate them. Or the people who want gun control. They hate America. Ok to hate them."

To be clear. I'm 100% with Degeneres and I think she has it right. But I'm fearful we've so vilified the other side we're going to have an awfully hard time getting to where she's hoping. 

I hope I'm dead wrong. 
I agree with Ellen.

Except for Red Sox fans.  They're monsters. Ok to hate them.

Fair enough.  You said voting for Trump gives him a pass, not that you agree.  So yeah, I guess you can be friends with  a Trump voter.
I have plenty of people who I know that voted for Trump that are still friends of mine.  It's also true that I know plenty of people who voted for Trump that I am no longer friends with.  The former see what he's done from a moral perspective and said never again essentially.  The latter is a group who has seen what he's done from a moral perspective and continue to support him and support him vigorously.  Whether they agree lock step with him on political issues is immaterial.  They clearly don't have a problem with his moral bankruptcy enough to vote him out (they can insert whatever excuse here that they choose).

Tangent question. 

I think going to a football game is very different from, and way better than, going to the White House, regardless of who the President is.

I hope I'm dead wrong. 
Im imperfect...no doubt.  I believe she is right...but part of me may not hate them, but find it hard to respect or be kind to those who refuse to be respectful and be kind in return. 
Its bot everyone...its easy with people i know beyond a board and beyond their political leanings.  Have a friend from college that is a Trump guy...though some of even his things is to fish a bit for reaction.  Was with him this weekend and we both said the same thing...we respect each other’s differences and get past that.  And both because we knew each other outside of any political talk before.  Some of the things he says are awful...but i know he is a good person...I know he would do anything for me or any of hos friends if called upon.

That does become harder with faceless names on places like this and social media.

This is not to say I hate anyone here...thats a strong word. And crazy IMO to feel about someone i dont know. But i should be netter about being more respectful about opinions.  As i said...Im imperfect.

I just watched Ellen's explaination.  Yeah, I'm totally in love (neighborly kind) with her.  This friendship with GW shouldn't be questioned, it should be encouraged.  We can all learn a lot from this.  

I am absolutely disgusted with Ellen.  I have lost all respect for her.  She can go pound sand.

Rooting for the Packers?   Unforgivable.  

There was an underlying implication to supermike80's comments in this thread, which has everything to do with Donald Trump and the current acrimony we find ourselves in: some conservatives, including apparently this poster, believe that Donald Trump is a normal conservative politician and the dislike of him is actually a dislike of conservatives. Ellen is a hypocrite because she would not be seen laughing with Donald Trump- not because Trump is different, but because he is the current President.

Most liberals I know, while they're not going to be especially fond of any Republican President, believe Donald Trump to be an aberration, a cancer to our political system, in no way comparable to George W Bush. Many conservatives refuse to accept this idea.
Don’t let hate consume you

I am absolutely disgusted with Ellen.  I have lost all respect for her.  She can go pound sand.

Rooting for the Packers?   Unforgivable.  
I am left wondering just how big Portia's purse was, and why the cheesehead was not confiscated at security.

Was it her Hollywood friends who had the issue with it? They seem less tolerant than an average person. 

The epitome of a 1st world problem. I'm glad that I'm disconnected enough from social media that I had zero clue until now that this is a burning issue.

Tangent question. 

It is not hard to be kind and show respect.  I think it is great for people with different views to sit and talk and maybe end up enjoying each other company.

Would this be more of a story if George did not want to sit by her?

As a straight white guy, I'm not going to criticize Ellen for a second. She can be friends with whomever she wants. 

As a straight white guy, I'm not going to criticize people in the LGBT community for being upset with Ellen about this. Their lived reality is a lot different than mine. 

If we can't have a civilized conversation with those with whom we disagree we are doomed as a species.  I thought it was just fine.  Who knows but a little common ground was found or forged.  What seeds might grow therefrom are anybody's guess but I bet they are more positive than those sown in bitter fields.

I don't understand why this is viewed as a problem. Ellen said it aptly, people can have differing views and still be friends. Most of my friends aren't Lions fans, but we still hang out. How else will we broaden our minds if we don't seek ways to do so?

I have many friends that voted for Trump but could/can not be good friends with one who is thrilled and enthusiastic about Trump. But Bush while he made mistakes as President I believe is a good wholesome guy. 

I don't understand why this is viewed as a problem. Ellen said it aptly, people can have differing views and still be friends. Most of my friends aren't Lions fans, but we still hang out. How else will we broaden our minds if we don't seek ways to do so?
It’s because some people seem to want to be upset by far too much. I looked at some of the comments on twitter from her followers and it’s ridiculous. They are the people that give liberals a bad name. To claim you’re the side that is more tolerable just sounds hypocritical it times like these. 

It’s moments like this that prove to me that the left is not much different than the right and vice verse. 

It’s ridiculous that people even care about this. I applaud her saying something about  it, but this is life folks and we’re all not cult members living in some bunker. 

I have many friends that voted for Trump but could/can not be good friends with one who is thrilled and enthusiastic about Trump. But Bush while he made mistakes as President I believe is a good wholesome guy. 
I have friends and family that are die hard Trump supporters.  I don't understand it and think they are wrong but I am not going to let that screw up my relationships with them.  We just have a disagreement of opinion and life is too short -- best to just avoid the subject of politics.

Users who are viewing this thread