What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turkey invades Syria: Update- ISIS rebuilds (3 Viewers)

There are a number of people, here and elsewhere, who have defended President Trump’s decision based on an isolationist argument which basically comes down to “why is this our responsibility?” 

I strongly disagree with that argument; I think it’s incredibly lazy, short-sided, uninformed in terms of both the specific situation and the broader issues regarding US involvement overseas. That being said, it is certainly legitimate to constantly examine and re-evaluate our military commitments around the world, and to consider alternative approaches. One idea that Trump seems to be pushing is an attempt to replace our military power with economic power to achieve the same goals. That’s certainly an intriguing prospect and is worth at the very least further discussion. 

BUT- even if we give full credence to these and other arguments against our continued military presence in Syria, it still doesn’t excuse the abrupt manner in which this decision by President Trump was carried out- a quick order, without consultation with the Pentagon, or Congress, or the Kurds, or our other allies. It seems to me that the way this decision was made is equally if not more catastrophic than the decision itself, and I find it interesting that none of those who have defended what Trump did, so far as I am aware, have addressed this aspect. 

I'm looking specifically at Chip Roy, because he represents part of Austin. With him, we know #2 isn't true. And #3 isn't true, unless you are saying he's doing that while physically on the floor.

So basically he's a coward who won't say whether he supports the President's actions or not?

I just want to follow up on this. Chip Roy explained his present vote yesterday on twitter. I don't agree with his reasons, but I appreciate him explaining them.

I take back the comment that he is a coward. At least on this issue.

BUT- even if we give full credence to these and other arguments against our continued military presence in Syria, it still doesn’t excuse the abrupt manner in which this decision by President Trump was carried out- a quick order, without consultation with the Pentagon, or Congress, or the Kurds, or our other allies. It seems to me that the way this decision was made is equally if not more catastrophic than the decision itself, and I find it interesting that none of those who have defended what Trump did, so far as I am aware, have addressed this aspect. 
As I posted earlier apparently there were discussions on a withdrawal strategy but Trump opted for the one that benefited Russia.

In the weeks leading up to President Donald Trump's decision to exit Syria, his National Security Council staff had been preparing and presenting a variety of plans for an orderly withdrawal, a National Security Council official told Newsweek. The goal was to avoid a violent rush to fill a power vacuum opened by a sudden U.S. exit. These plans were abandoned completely by Trump in favor of an immediate retreat after a call with his Turkish counterpart. Within days of the decision, U.S. troops were handing over strategic positions to Russian forces.

If someone truly thought Trump was a Russian asset then a solid argument could be made he’s doing all this to rip the country apart.  I personally just think he’s a petty, narcissistic moron but would make for a great spy novel.
He's a real life Austin Powers...Yeah baby...

Finally able to see more of his press conference yesterday.

He said the Kurds are safer now, that they are worse than ISIS, that it's a complicated problem, errr, semi-complicated problem if you are smart (WTH), and that it's a good thing that Putin has moved into the region. 

We are bombing our own bases now to destroy stuff we left behind. 

H F S.

Details matter. This is all about putting Dems in a box and should be read in that light.

But McConnell argued that the House resolution was too "narrowly drafted," didn't address Sunni Arab or Christian communities in Syria and was too "backward-looking." 

"It is curiously silent on the issue of whether to actually sustain a U.S. military presence in Syria, perhaps to spare Democrats from having to go on record on this question. So my first preference is for something stronger than the House resolution," he added. 

Who is "he" here?  McConnell or Trumpy?  And to what end?  What will they do if they get something stronger?  Is this saying Trump wants Congress to approve military actions or sanctions?
It’s McConnell and his desires for a response to Trump’s mistake.  His explanation of why the House resolution was weak was a bit political in a Rs v Ds sense, but still encouraging nonetheless...take what you can get when Mitch opposes the WH, I guess 

He said the Kurds are safer now, that they are worse than ISIS, that it's a complicated problem, errr, semi-complicated problem if you are smart (WTH), and that it's a good thing that Putin has moved into the region. 

H F S.
you forgot the part about sand.....lmfao

“The President said… ‘I promised in the campaign to bring the troops home.’ My question to him was, ‘Is Saudi Arabia home?’ ...He said, ‘well the Saudi Arabians are paying for it.’”

🤔

It’s McConnell and his desires for a response to Trump’s mistake.  His explanation of why the House resolution was weak was a bit political in a Rs v Ds sense, but still encouraging nonetheless...take what you can get when Mitch opposes the WH, I guess 
i think he realizes there is a good chance this is going to blow up in Trump's face and wants to be able to say he was against it.  He doesn't actually want to do anything about it

H F S.
WTF

So what exactly is he after?  What does he want them to give him?

ETA:  The fact that we have no idea what he wants is telling and I believe it to be purposefully vague for the sole purpose of being able to deflect later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Details matter. This is all about putting Dems in a box and should be read in that light.

But McConnell argued that the House resolution was too "narrowly drafted," didn't address Sunni Arab or Christian communities in Syria and was too "backward-looking." 

"It is curiously silent on the issue of whether to actually sustain a U.S. military presence in Syria, perhaps to spare Democrats from having to go on record on this question. So my first preference is for something stronger than the House resolution," he added. 
Then the Senate can make changes putting in whatever he'd like to see, then send it back to the house...problem solved :shrug:  

This is the same sort of crap my wife gives me..."that's not what I want"...."ok, what DO you want"....."give me another option and I'll tell you if I like it"....."no, just tell me what you want and be done with it"

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to POTUS Radio  they are talking like the ceasefire is  a good thing and the Turks did not want to deal with heavy sanctions.  Hopefully everything works out.  Diplomacy can work at times.

Listening to POTUS Radio  they are talking like the ceasefire is  a good thing and the Turks did not want to deal with heavy sanctions.  Hopefully everything works out.  Diplomacy can work at times.
In situations like these, there is usually a delay while both sides collaborate in their safe zones and figure out their talking points.  

Pence also talked about a new safe zone for the Kurds (I thought we had one?) but insisted that there would be no US troops involved. 

Did I hear that the ceasefire requires the Kurds to leave, even though it's their homes?  I couldn't understand what Pence was describing in the agreement between all his praise for his lord and savior trump.  

Did I hear that the ceasefire requires the Kurds to leave, even though it's their homes?  I couldn't understand what Pence was describing in the agreement between all his praise for his lord and savior trump.  
Yes.  And even though Turkey is inside a foreign country.

Let’s go back to McConnell’s comments now: he said he wanted something much stronger than the House, but the net effect of those comments was a a delay on voting on the House bill. Now no doubt McConnell will say let’s wait and see about the ceasefire. So there will be no embarrassing bill condemning Trump that he has to veto. 

Users who are viewing this thread